Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Crossover promotion between Wiz and Pirate

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 23, 2020
I doubt I'm the first one to ask for this, but with the recent news that Pirate101 is getting updates again I figured it would be an interesting thing to suggest.

The main issue this game has right now is a lack of advertising. Most people who played Wizard101 first are not as likely to play Pirate101 as someone who played Pirate101 first, and vice versa. In addition, Pirate101 only had one major television ad, and that was it, while Wizard101 got many for each world release. But that's a different subject in of itself.

To get into the meat of it, I think it would be cool if, even if it's just a small side quest, we interact with our Wizard character in both games. For example, what if in Wizard101 Iona Verga asks you to go to Skull Island to find say, Vadima? Maybe Vadima's knowledge of the more occult side of the magic is the key needed to understand what is going on with the Wizard character?(I naught say what it is exactly, but if you've played through Karamelle, you'll know)

Of course, you would head over to Skull Island, only to get attacked by our character and maybe some of the class trainers, who, due to their lack of knowledge on Wizard dueling, don't exactly put up a good fight.

In the inverse side, when you do this quest in Pirate101, it would be cool if the inverse happens: You fight the Wizard after noticing something is amiss and easy demolish them as they don't have alot of knowledge on brawling. Then, the two quest goals align for both games, and you're tasked with bringing Vadima back to Iona.

Of course, this is only an example, but I think the concept is a pretty cool idea. There are of course, a few problems that I can already see, both logistical and coding based.

Coding the exact same quest 2 times for 2 different games, already seems like a bit of a nightmare, but if done right it would be a cool experience. Logistically speaking though, the bigger issue is how to handle having to go to locations that don't exist in Pirate and vice versa.

While I don't know the full details of how the loading works, A possible solution would be to use the already coded loading system both games use(where only the specific files and models for the current character are loaded at any given time, and anything else is deleted) and while it's a insane idea, theoretically speaking, it might be possible to load Pirate101 assets in Wizard101, and the other way around.

Another solution would be to just simply port the models(they do run on the same engine after all) and just ignore the headache of syncing the two servers together.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
For some reason it has always seemed to me that KingsIsle never wanted to promote Pirate101 to Wizard101 players, except for when Pirate101 first came out and they were asking for hundreds of dollars for early access. The cost was outrageous and quite a lot rage quit and refused to come back. From my understanding, KingsIsle wanted wizards players to remain in wizards as it was their bread and butter, and they just didn't so much about Pirate101. All love to Wizards, no love to Pirates, despite Pirates being arguably the better game.

All one has to do to get Wizard101 players into Pirate101 is to occasionally give/offer duel membership to both games. Why there isn't an option to buy a monthly membership with access to both games for the price of one is beyond me, as it just makes common sense that a whole lot of players who wouldn't give the other game a second chance, or even a first chance, would still be prone to jumping at the promotion offer. Giving a discount to one game for being a member of the other game, just isn't the same thing as it requires additional capital outlay that those who don't typically already play both are going to do.

Having returned to Wizard101 to bring my characters there up to date, I no longer mind Wizard101 players not being promoted to join Pirate101 as their player base seems awfully toxic, and Pirate101's has been pretty awesome.