Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What does Will and Armor on your character do for you in battle? awa

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 20, 2021
Hi, I am new to the message board and I am having a hard time understanding what your character's Will Stat do when you are in combat along with your Armor Stat. Right now on my second character which is a Level 16 Swashbuckler with 30/100 Strength, 47/100 Agility, and 20/100 Will. I also have 77 weapon power, 63 Spell Power, 28 Accuracy, 46 Dodge, 13 Armor, 2 Magic Resistance, and a max health of 508. Right now I do not have no trouble with combat whether it is on land or in Broadside Combat but when I get to Cool Ranch I always seem to have trouble with PVE and I would greatly appreciate any and all help, tips and tricks on what stats I should focus on and what stats are vital and which ones I do not need to worry about. Also, I would love to know what other talents and/or powers I should learn from the other class trainers. I do know how to tell if an enemy is going to be hard thanks to looking at the color of their names. If there is one thing that always gives me issues when I go solo (which I do a lot unless I enter a Dungeon or when I need help) it is Cool Ranch since the enemies in Cool Ranch almost always can easily defeat me and my companions. Thank you for the help in advance.

Administrator
GaianCommander on May 31, 2021 wrote:
Hi, I am new to the message board and I am having a hard time understanding what your character's Will Stat do when you are in combat along with your Armor Stat. Right now on my second character which is a Level 16 Swashbuckler with 30/100 Strength, 47/100 Agility, and 20/100 Will. I also have 77 weapon power, 63 Spell Power, 28 Accuracy, 46 Dodge, 13 Armor, 2 Magic Resistance, and a max health of 508. Right now I do not have no trouble with combat whether it is on land or in Broadside Combat but when I get to Cool Ranch I always seem to have trouble with PVE and I would greatly appreciate any and all help, tips and tricks on what stats I should focus on and what stats are vital and which ones I do not need to worry about. Also, I would love to know what other talents and/or powers I should learn from the other class trainers. I do know how to tell if an enemy is going to be hard thanks to looking at the color of their names. If there is one thing that always gives me issues when I go solo (which I do a lot unless I enter a Dungeon or when I need help) it is Cool Ranch since the enemies in Cool Ranch almost always can easily defeat me and my companions. Thank you for the help in advance.
Welcome Gaian to the community forums!

I'm sure someone here can help you out on our Swashbuckler.

Have fun!

Ensign
May 20, 2021
Bat Masterson on Jun 1, 2021 wrote:
Welcome Gaian to the community forums!

I'm sure someone here can help you out on our Swashbuckler.

Have fun!
I sure am. Love it when you enter Avernus and you hear a dramatic music choir to represent how deadly the skyway is. So far I just reached Cool Ranch and now I am Level 20 and so far, things have been going well.

Ensign
Dec 22, 2009
GaianCommander on May 31, 2021 wrote:
As a swashbuckler, your primary damage stat is Agility. That's what you should focus on. Keep in mind, also, that just like Storm Wizards in Wizard101, Swashbucklers in Pirate101 are glass cannons (but I prefer to say squishy). That is, they hit hard but they die easy. Any agility based weapons are good to have, especially slashy or stabby. As for other class trainers, I'd say check the Commodore and train the powers (Note here: JUST the powers) until you get to Rouse. It's a good idea to have at least a heal or two when your health is low.

Also you may want to look into farming three dungeons for some good gear (don't worry, they're easy, just long): Pyramid of Fire, where you will get the Aztecosaur Rings, Marie Celeste (the Floating Dutchman fight) where you're looking for the Dutchman charms, and Skull Cap Cove, where you want the Shrimpy necklaces. I should note that each of these three items will provide a random mixture of two cards: one Stat boost, and one Power. The stats are: Increase Base Agility (look for this one, the Agate Aztecosaur Ring, as a Swash it's the best choice),Increase Base Will (Amethyst), Increase Base Strength (Ruby), Weapon Mastery (Garnet), Critical Mastery (Onyx), Mojo Mastery (Sapphire). These 6 types are the same in all three boss fights. What's different is the power they come with, and it's totally random as far as I can tell, and will be one of these: Ghostwail, Mighty Charge, Rouse, Sniper Shot, Sneak Attack, or Rouse. Unfortunately it may take a lot of farming the three bosses (Floating Dutchman, Ch'ok Ak'ab, and The Master) to get the combination you want but they are worth it, you can wear them up until you get to Valencia 2 and they're still good. The main reason is because they increase a stat by one rank, so it's worth it, especially if you get one that increases your damage stat.

Don't worry about Strength or Will, in my opinion. Same for armor: if you get it, great. Focus on Agility, Dodge, Weapon Power.....and maybe try to get your health up some. As for companions, there are only 4 talents that you need to focus on: Tough (for health), Rough (For damage, or for magic users like Old Scratch use Spooky instead), Primary damage stat ( Swash and Musket pick Agile, Witch and Privvy pick Spirited, Buccs use Strong), and one other one. Usually I pick the last one based on class, for example with Swashbuckler companions I choose Dodgy, Privateers I usually choose Accurate or maybe Armored, Witchdoctors if I haven't already picked Spooky I pick that (you can do both Spooky and Rough) or Resistant, Musketeers I usually go with Accurate, and Buccaneers I go with Armored. However, everyone has a favored playstyle so it's really up to you on what that last talent will be. But I would recommend only focusing on 4 talents and getting only those 4 maxed out. I've sometimes had to reset companions because I was forced to choose a talent and they couldn't get the next rank of the talents I wanted so don't feel bad if that happens! Also free reset weekends are a good time to fix any mistakes you've made with any of your companions.

Another important thing is which companions you use. I strongly recommend making Fan Flanders your first mate and never moving her from that spot. Like the other companions you get around level 4 (on other classes, of course), she is highly valuable all the way through the end game and will often go nutty if you set her up right (as in hit, and hit, and hit, and hit....etc). As a Swash you'll want to focus on primarily Swash companions in your top three but it doesn't hurt to have a musketeer in there like Bonnie Anne, who can hit from further back. Unlike the super squishy swashies who are almost worse than Storm Wizards.....that dodge though, am I right? Saved my bacon more than a few times, let me tell you. One companion you'll want to chase down in Mooshu is Shiruku Neko. She's a side quest companion so you'll have to finish that line of quests but she's surprisingly good, first- or second-stringer easy.

......Yeah I think that's a good start. Sorry if that's a lot of info, I've played this game off and on since the Boochbeard Bundle was released (so end of Beta), and I've learned a lot about most of the game. I'm no expert, though, and there are plenty of players out there who know as much or more than me! Hope some of this helps you and may your enemies tremble next time you meet them!

Ensign
May 20, 2021
jacobquon on Jun 1, 2021 wrote:
As a swashbuckler, your primary damage stat is Agility. That's what you should focus on. Keep in mind, also, that just like Storm Wizards in Wizard101, Swashbucklers in Pirate101 are glass cannons (but I prefer to say squishy). That is, they hit hard but they die easy. Any agility based weapons are good to have, especially slashy or stabby. As for other class trainers, I'd say check the Commodore and train the powers (Note here: JUST the powers) until you get to Rouse. It's a good idea to have at least a heal or two when your health is low.

Also you may want to look into farming three dungeons for some good gear (don't worry, they're easy, just long): Pyramid of Fire, where you will get the Aztecosaur Rings, Marie Celeste (the Floating Dutchman fight) where you're looking for the Dutchman charms, and Skull Cap Cove, where you want the Shrimpy necklaces. I should note that each of these three items will provide a random mixture of two cards: one Stat boost, and one Power. The stats are: Increase Base Agility (look for this one, the Agate Aztecosaur Ring, as a Swash it's the best choice),Increase Base Will (Amethyst), Increase Base Strength (Ruby), Weapon Mastery (Garnet), Critical Mastery (Onyx), Mojo Mastery (Sapphire). These 6 types are the same in all three boss fights. What's different is the power they come with, and it's totally random as far as I can tell, and will be one of these: Ghostwail, Mighty Charge, Rouse, Sniper Shot, Sneak Attack, or Rouse. Unfortunately it may take a lot of farming the three bosses (Floating Dutchman, Ch'ok Ak'ab, and The Master) to get the combination you want but they are worth it, you can wear them up until you get to Valencia 2 and they're still good. The main reason is because they increase a stat by one rank, so it's worth it, especially if you get one that increases your damage stat.

Don't worry about Strength or Will, in my opinion. Same for armor: if you get it, great. Focus on Agility, Dodge, Weapon Power.....and maybe try to get your health up some. As for companions, there are only 4 talents that you need to focus on: Tough (for health), Rough (For damage, or for magic users like Old Scratch use Spooky instead), Primary damage stat ( Swash and Musket pick Agile, Witch and Privvy pick Spirited, Buccs use Strong), and one other one. Usually I pick the last one based on class, for example with Swashbuckler companions I choose Dodgy, Privateers I usually choose Accurate or maybe Armored, Witchdoctors if I haven't already picked Spooky I pick that (you can do both Spooky and Rough) or Resistant, Musketeers I usually go with Accurate, and Buccaneers I go with Armored. However, everyone has a favored playstyle so it's really up to you on what that last talent will be. But I would recommend only focusing on 4 talents and getting only those 4 maxed out. I've sometimes had to reset companions because I was forced to choose a talent and they couldn't get the next rank of the talents I wanted so don't feel bad if that happens! Also free reset weekends are a good time to fix any mistakes you've made with any of your companions.

Another important thing is which companions you use. I strongly recommend making Fan Flanders your first mate and never moving her from that spot. Like the other companions you get around level 4 (on other classes, of course), she is highly valuable all the way through the end game and will often go nutty if you set her up right (as in hit, and hit, and hit, and hit....etc). As a Swash you'll want to focus on primarily Swash companions in your top three but it doesn't hurt to have a musketeer in there like Bonnie Anne, who can hit from further back. Unlike the super squishy swashies who are almost worse than Storm Wizards.....that dodge though, am I right? Saved my bacon more than a few times, let me tell you. One companion you'll want to chase down in Mooshu is Shiruku Neko. She's a side quest companion so you'll have to finish that line of quests but she's surprisingly good, first- or second-stringer easy.

......Yeah I think that's a good start. Sorry if that's a lot of info, I've played this game off and on since the Boochbeard Bundle was released (so end of Beta), and I've learned a lot about most of the game. I'm no expert, though, and there are plenty of players out there who know as much or more than me! Hope some of this helps you and may your enemies tremble next time you meet them!
Guess I am off to fight lizard boy again. Also, where can I find the Floating Dutchman and the 3rd boss you mentioned? I am currently in Cool Ranch and these items will for sure be helpful for me when I get to the next world, not to mention fighting Blood in Miranda. Just wish I had enough Crowns to reset my learned talents and powers to get the healing powers. But it is what it is for now. And they will learn to fear the name: Davy Jones

Ensign
May 20, 2021
jacobquon on Jun 1, 2021 wrote:

Oh, and just a quick update: I literally got the Agate Aztecosaur Ring in just two attempts! Got the Onyx one on my first attempt! I literally freaked out when I got the Agate ring in only two attempts!

Edit: I literally just got the Shrimpy Agate Necklace in a single attempt against The Master! I am not kidding. Now if only getting Captain Blood's Jacket could be that easy. But before I get to that, I might as well do some side quests to help boost my XP cause even a little bit of XP can make a huge difference in Pirate101. Especially when you go up against a powerful foe such as Captain Blood. And I already know what he does and when I eventually go head to head with him, he will face the wrath of steel blades! And so far the only boss that has given me some trouble was English Bill. Other than that, the info I have been given has been a great help to me.

Ensign
May 20, 2021
Never mind. I am dumb. I remembered where to find the Floating Dutchman.

Ensign
Dec 22, 2009
GaianCommander on Jun 2, 2021 wrote:
Guess I am off to fight lizard boy again. Also, where can I find the Floating Dutchman and the 3rd boss you mentioned? I am currently in Cool Ranch and these items will for sure be helpful for me when I get to the next world, not to mention fighting Blood in Miranda. Just wish I had enough Crowns to reset my learned talents and powers to get the healing powers. But it is what it is for now. And they will learn to fear the name: Davy Jones
The Master is in Skull Cap Cove. It's a dungeon at the very top of the mountain where that waterfall is. From Avery's court: Go down the stairs, take an immediate left. Cross the bridge and follow the path all the way to the top. To the right of the waterfall is a short path leading up. The Master is the leader of the Prawns (they look like shrimps, hence the name "Shrimpy" on the gear). The Floating Dutchman is in the ship dungeon inside the cave near the Presidio in Skull Island Skyway. He's the ghostly knock-off of Davy Jones. The one where if you lose a companion he brings it back, but fighting for him. (Try not to let that happen). Glad to hear you got the Agate ring so quickly! Hope it had a good card on it lol. As for resetting, next time there's a Free Reset Weekend (like the one we just had not that long ago) don't forget to go do that. Assuming you have a membership.

Ensign
May 20, 2021
jacobquon on Jun 3, 2021 wrote:
The Master is in Skull Cap Cove. It's a dungeon at the very top of the mountain where that waterfall is. From Avery's court: Go down the stairs, take an immediate left. Cross the bridge and follow the path all the way to the top. To the right of the waterfall is a short path leading up. The Master is the leader of the Prawns (they look like shrimps, hence the name "Shrimpy" on the gear). The Floating Dutchman is in the ship dungeon inside the cave near the Presidio in Skull Island Skyway. He's the ghostly knock-off of Davy Jones. The one where if you lose a companion he brings it back, but fighting for him. (Try not to let that happen). Glad to hear you got the Agate ring so quickly! Hope it had a good card on it lol. As for resetting, next time there's a Free Reset Weekend (like the one we just had not that long ago) don't forget to go do that. Assuming you have a membership.
Well during my first attempt with the Master I got very lucky to get the one item that helps boost my agility. When I saw it, I lost my freaking mind. But I had no idea Floating Dutchman could cause your companions to fight with him if he gets a kill on them, which can't happen when I am a much higher level than he is. And I realized I had two practice points left over so I used them to get the Rouse power ability that regains my health. So far the only boss I have had to farm was Dutchman. But I was able to get one item that boosts my strength which will come in handy when I use a slashy/stabby weapon.

Ensign
May 20, 2021
jacobquon on Jun 3, 2021 wrote:
Well, now I have just reached MooShu and now I am level 40 and I have been having a smooth run in Cool Ranch and I am curious if there are any items that will be better than the ones I have gotten from the 3 bosses you mentioned before. Also, how do other players have glowing eyes?

Ensign
Dec 22, 2009
GaianCommander on Jun 6, 2021 wrote:
Well, now I have just reached MooShu and now I am level 40 and I have been having a smooth run in Cool Ranch and I am curious if there are any items that will be better than the ones I have gotten from the 3 bosses you mentioned before. Also, how do other players have glowing eyes?
In my experience, you won't find anything to replace them later on, not until Valencia 2. Of course you can always change one or more pieces but you're sacrificing that stat boost of one rank (trust me it adds up). As for the glowing eyes, it's from the badge they have, The Nefarious Sixth. If you can manage to get to the 8th floor of the Tower of Moo Manchu (you might not have that quest yet), you are up against the Nefarious Five, pirates like yourself, but under Moo Manchu's spell. Drink the potion in the center of the board and you become like them-glowing eyes, and fighting for his side. You lose all control of your pirate and since you only get one companion, if you don't have a full team you're screwed. However, if you win the fight after having drank the potion, you get a badge called The Nefarious Sixth, which makes your eyes glow. Most people, if you want the badge, will tell you to unequip everything you have, including your pet, to make it easier to kill you. Cause your team will have to kill your pirate along with the Five to win. And do it without you. You can still control your one companion, though.

Ensign
May 20, 2021
jacobquon on Jun 8, 2021 wrote:
In my experience, you won't find anything to replace them later on, not until Valencia 2. Of course you can always change one or more pieces but you're sacrificing that stat boost of one rank (trust me it adds up). As for the glowing eyes, it's from the badge they have, The Nefarious Sixth. If you can manage to get to the 8th floor of the Tower of Moo Manchu (you might not have that quest yet), you are up against the Nefarious Five, pirates like yourself, but under Moo Manchu's spell. Drink the potion in the center of the board and you become like them-glowing eyes, and fighting for his side. You lose all control of your pirate and since you only get one companion, if you don't have a full team you're screwed. However, if you win the fight after having drank the potion, you get a badge called The Nefarious Sixth, which makes your eyes glow. Most people, if you want the badge, will tell you to unequip everything you have, including your pet, to make it easier to kill you. Cause your team will have to kill your pirate along with the Five to win. And do it without you. You can still control your one companion, though.
Oh boy. When do I get that quest? Right now my current quest has me getting the 5 Turtle Balls in MooShu.

Ensign
Dec 22, 2009
GaianCommander on Jun 8, 2021 wrote:
Oh boy. When do I get that quest? Right now my current quest has me getting the 5 Turtle Balls in MooShu.
You have to be level 50, finish Mooshu, and have defeated Moo Manchu in the Tomb of Kow Ching (it's a side quest). The Moo Manchurian Candidate is the start of the side quest to defeat him the first time, you'll get it from Lord Chagatai in Subata Temple after talking to Lord Chagatai and completing the quest "Serenity Now" (main line quest). Once you get the side quest, you have a series of 3 quests that ends in a quest called Emperor Moo. Only after you hit level 50, finish Mooshu, and defeat Moo Manchu in the Tomb of Kow Cheng will you be able to do the Tower of Moo Manchu.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
GaianCommander on Jun 8, 2021 wrote:
Usually by level 57, you will get the notice to talk to Lord Chagatai to confront Moo Manchu. There is another quest that introduces Moo Manchu earlier than that, "The Moo Manchurian Candidate". You have to complete it before you get the other.

About the Nefarious Sixth badge; make sure that you really want it, because Mo has a cheat that affects those who drink the potion. It's called "Nefarious Charm" and it will turn you against the team, every time you try to attack Moo.

Ensign
May 20, 2021
anecorbie on Jun 9, 2021 wrote:
Usually by level 57, you will get the notice to talk to Lord Chagatai to confront Moo Manchu. There is another quest that introduces Moo Manchu earlier than that, "The Moo Manchurian Candidate". You have to complete it before you get the other.

About the Nefarious Sixth badge; make sure that you really want it, because Mo has a cheat that affects those who drink the potion. It's called "Nefarious Charm" and it will turn you against the team, every time you try to attack Moo.
Well, I will make sure to bring friends or randoms who are level 70 to help me once I get to the Tower
And as of me writing this, I have collected the Yellow Windstone and now I'm level 55. Can't wait to access Marlybone and Aquila for the very first time!

Ensign
May 20, 2021
anecorbie on Jun 9, 2021 wrote:

OK, the time this gets posted, I have gone through the Tower of Moo Manchu and my God, that place is like an evil PVP battle on the 8th floor. I remembered to remove all of my items, including my pets. I was glad I did because I was surprised by the fact that I lost control of my character since I was expecting my to have control of my character but at least I now have my favorite badge in the game along with the glowing eyes. I did the run with another swashbuckler and two witchdoctors who were a great help and deserve a huge thank you from me and shout out. The players are: Salty Irina Laveer( Level 65 Swashbuckler) Quiet, Humphrey Thackery(Level 70 Witchdoctor) and Ernest Jellico(Level 70 Witchdoctor). Sadly, during the battle Irina was knocked out and I couldn't use any healing powers to help her. If I could I would. But the hardest floor was the one where you had to deal with the fire that spread each round. But, when you drink the potion or whatever it is, does using doubloons help the enemy team or does it help your teammates and companions?

Ensign
Dec 22, 2009
GaianCommander on Jun 11, 2021 wrote:
OK, the time this gets posted, I have gone through the Tower of Moo Manchu and my God, that place is like an evil PVP battle on the 8th floor. I remembered to remove all of my items, including my pets. I was glad I did because I was surprised by the fact that I lost control of my character since I was expecting my to have control of my character but at least I now have my favorite badge in the game along with the glowing eyes. I did the run with another swashbuckler and two witchdoctors who were a great help and deserve a huge thank you from me and shout out. The players are: Salty Irina Laveer( Level 65 Swashbuckler) Quiet, Humphrey Thackery(Level 70 Witchdoctor) and Ernest Jellico(Level 70 Witchdoctor). Sadly, during the battle Irina was knocked out and I couldn't use any healing powers to help her. If I could I would. But the hardest floor was the one where you had to deal with the fire that spread each round. But, when you drink the potion or whatever it is, does using doubloons help the enemy team or does it help your teammates and companions?
*snicker* Sorry, that's kinda funny but at least you did everything you're supposed to. Technically you don't have to unequip anything it's just MUCH more convenient. Glad you got it, though! You must have missed the part of my response where I said, more than once, that you lose all control of your pirate and your team will have to kill you (but that's ok, we're only human!) As for the question regarding doubloons, I'm not sure. I would say it helps your team and not the enemy, the only thing that I know for SURE the enemy benefits from is any spells/powers you have available (heals, buffs/debuffs, those buccaneer "charge" powers, ghost wail, etc.). Aside from that, I don't know for sure but would say that the only way to know for sure is to test it. Again, very glad to hear that you made it through safely, and sorry for such a late response. I sorta forgot to check the boards.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
GaianCommander on Jun 11, 2021 wrote:
Never use doubloons while charmed - it helps the enemy team. Some of the worst battles I fought were from charmed members using a doubloon!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
jacobquon on Jun 21, 2021 wrote:
*snicker* Sorry, that's kinda funny but at least you did everything you're supposed to. Technically you don't have to unequip anything it's just MUCH more convenient. Glad you got it, though! You must have missed the part of my response where I said, more than once, that you lose all control of your pirate and your team will have to kill you (but that's ok, we're only human!) As for the question regarding doubloons, I'm not sure. I would say it helps your team and not the enemy, the only thing that I know for SURE the enemy benefits from is any spells/powers you have available (heals, buffs/debuffs, those buccaneer "charge" powers, ghost wail, etc.). Aside from that, I don't know for sure but would say that the only way to know for sure is to test it. Again, very glad to hear that you made it through safely, and sorry for such a late response. I sorta forgot to check the boards.
Sorry to correct your notion about doubloon use; it does benefit the enemy team.

Ensign
Dec 22, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 21, 2021 wrote:
Sorry to correct your notion about doubloon use; it does benefit the enemy team.
Ah, ok. Thank you! I wasn't sure, and to be honest I wasn't really in a mood to run the Tower just to test the theory! Lol. I just guessed. Glad someone on here knows something I don't! (See, I don't know EVERYTHING!)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
jacobquon on Jun 22, 2021 wrote:
Ah, ok. Thank you! I wasn't sure, and to be honest I wasn't really in a mood to run the Tower just to test the theory! Lol. I just guessed. Glad someone on here knows something I don't! (See, I don't know EVERYTHING!)
No problem, I happen to have the "Master of Moo" badge on two pirates. So I think I've seen everything in that Tower!