Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

"K'kak-Atakk the Pestilent" fight analysis and suggestions.

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
The third of the four events introduced in this update is nearing its finish. And as I did with Yom K'imil, I've been doing this fight in order to offer suggestions on how to change it.

The fight itself has an interesting premise. The objective is simply to defeat K'kak-Atakk, thus ending the fight. But K'kak-Atakk is accompanied by roughly ten of a combination of Pestilent Hornets, Spiders and Scorpions, with one more of each appearing out of dedicated structures every round. I am discerning that the point is to have Pirates be overwhelmed quickly by a large number of minions, which is amplified as more spawn in.

However, this idea does not seem to come to fruition often. K'kak-Atakk has only an average amount of health, meaning it is easy for it to be defeated on the first or second round; this has been the case in literally every combat I have done. The minions never get a chance to do there thing, and the spawning mechanic is rendered ineffective. Thus, like Yom K'imil, I believe this fight to be too easy, this time to a massive degree. There is literally no challenge to this encounter whatsoever.

K'kak-Atakk the Pestilent needs some dramatic improvements in order to make it a challenging opponent. Here are some of my suggestions:
  • Due to the way this fight is designed, the primary focus of revision should be on K'kak-Atakk itself. In order for the "Minion Swarming" to have a meaningful impact on the fight, K'kak-Atakk needs to be able to survive for a large number of turns. I have two ideas in mind. The first is to give K'kak-Atakk high Magic Resist, thereby countering the common strategy of using Old Scratch + damaging powers to carve chunks out of otherwise tough bosses. The second is to give it incredibly high HP, even somewhere in the 15,000 to 20,000 range. Would it be the highest HP ever given to a single creature in Pirate101? Yes, but it would also allow K'kak-Atakk the time it needs to let its minions do their dirty work.
  • Speaking of the minions... they're actually mostly fine. I could easily see their part in the fight becoming far more substantial if their master was able to survive. But in order to avoid taking care of them becoming this fight's weak point, they need a little way to have an impact even after they're gone. I would suggest giving all the minions a rank in the Poisonous Epic Talent. It's a little-known Epic Talent that is mostly exclusive to Pets, and causes a unit's attacks to leave a residual poison effect on their target. Put on so many creatures, the damage could easily add up. Giving them this talent would even be fitting, as all the minions already have venom stingers in their models anyway!

Putting these additions together would give the fight more than enough challenge, making players seriously think about what they want to do rather than mindlessly hack and blast at the boss. The final thing after that would be to make the drops juuuust a little bit easier to get. Please?

Lieutenant
Mar 18, 2022
Lookit Light on Jul 24, 2022 wrote:
The third of the four events introduced in this update is nearing its finish. And as I did with Yom K'imil, I've been doing this fight in order to offer suggestions on how to change it.

The fight itself has an interesting premise. The objective is simply to defeat K'kak-Atakk, thus ending the fight. But K'kak-Atakk is accompanied by roughly ten of a combination of Pestilent Hornets, Spiders and Scorpions, with one more of each appearing out of dedicated structures every round. I am discerning that the point is to have Pirates be overwhelmed quickly by a large number of minions, which is amplified as more spawn in.

However, this idea does not seem to come to fruition often. K'kak-Atakk has only an average amount of health, meaning it is easy for it to be defeated on the first or second round; this has been the case in literally every combat I have done. The minions never get a chance to do there thing, and the spawning mechanic is rendered ineffective. Thus, like Yom K'imil, I believe this fight to be too easy, this time to a massive degree. There is literally no challenge to this encounter whatsoever.

K'kak-Atakk the Pestilent needs some dramatic improvements in order to make it a challenging opponent. Here are some of my suggestions:
  • Due to the way this fight is designed, the primary focus of revision should be on K'kak-Atakk itself. In order for the "Minion Swarming" to have a meaningful impact on the fight, K'kak-Atakk needs to be able to survive for a large number of turns. I have two ideas in mind. The first is to give K'kak-Atakk high Magic Resist, thereby countering the common strategy of using Old Scratch + damaging powers to carve chunks out of otherwise tough bosses. The second is to give it incredibly high HP, even somewhere in the 15,000 to 20,000 range. Would it be the highest HP ever given to a single creature in Pirate101? Yes, but it would also allow K'kak-Atakk the time it needs to let its minions do their dirty work.
  • Speaking of the minions... they're actually mostly fine. I could easily see their part in the fight becoming far more substantial if their master was able to survive. But in order to avoid taking care of them becoming this fight's weak point, they need a little way to have an impact even after they're gone. I would suggest giving all the minions a rank in the Poisonous Epic Talent. It's a little-known Epic Talent that is mostly exclusive to Pets, and causes a unit's attacks to leave a residual poison effect on their target. Put on so many creatures, the damage could easily add up. Giving them this talent would even be fitting, as all the minions already have venom stingers in their models anyway!

Putting these additions together would give the fight more than enough challenge, making players seriously think about what they want to do rather than mindlessly hack and blast at the boss. The final thing after that would be to make the drops juuuust a little bit easier to get. Please?
Another fantastic writeup. I appreciate you, LookIt.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I must say that I have only done one fight, on a low level pirate, and of course, three high levels joined to "help" - used my key and the Buccaneer defeated the boss on the first turn using his over-powered gear and abilities. I never even really got a chance to look around before they were all starting the battle, because I was probably the only one with dialogue (which I didn't really get to read/hear).

We got common low level gear, so everyone involved was disappointed.

There honestly should be some way to partner low levels up with other pirates of the same level at the sigil for these "Daily Assignments" - rather than have Level 70's come in and steal the thunder for new players.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Willowydream on Jul 26, 2022 wrote:
I must say that I have only done one fight, on a low level pirate, and of course, three high levels joined to "help" - used my key and the Buccaneer defeated the boss on the first turn using his over-powered gear and abilities. I never even really got a chance to look around before they were all starting the battle, because I was probably the only one with dialogue (which I didn't really get to read/hear).

We got common low level gear, so everyone involved was disappointed.

There honestly should be some way to partner low levels up with other pirates of the same level at the sigil for these "Daily Assignments" - rather than have Level 70's come in and steal the thunder for new players.

True, true. K'kak-Atakk has designs for all levels, but us veteran players are so excited to get new stuff we can't help but swarm it.

Maybe a specialized form of Team Up would help alleviate this kind of problem?