Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

"Kavourus the Merciless" fight analysis and discussion

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
FINALLY a name that doesn't make my tongue chafe to try and pronounce. Kavourus the Merciless is the last of four Event bosses introduced in this update, and he shows some potential for being an interesting fight.

This battle takes the form of a simple Defeat All boss fight, with your Pirate surrounded by Kavourus and his gang of Merciless Squid, Flying Fish and Jellyfish. The enemies pack a considerable punch, especially with Vicious Charge in their arsenal of tools. Kavourus himself is immune to sneak attacks because of First Strike 4, and Repel Borders 4 also hurts those coming too close. This fight has some potential and could be the undoing of an unprepared Pirate crew, so I would rate it's current challenge as moderate. The problem: we are veteran players who have long since figured out what we're doing, and the fight has a couple issues that make Kavourus not, in fact, a tough cookie.

With that in mind, here are my proposals for making this fight better:

• Kavourus himself shows promise, but like K'kak-Atakk he has too little health to make a meaningful impression. I think his health should be increased to just above 8,000 to give him an advantage over who comes against him. His Epic Talents also look great, but you know what would make him really great? Vengeance Strike 4! It would be the perfect way to counter the power of a stealthed Swashbuckler or angry Buccaneer. And as for his Powers... why does he have Emmet's slowing powers? His enemies are already right there, so there's not much point. Instead, I suggest he be given Vicious Charge like his minions. Actually, give him multiple copies, so he can really shake the deep.
  • The enemy AI seems to have a problem with needlessly moving around the minions and not having them do much. Some enemies near the edge of the field just stay put and do nothing, while a few others don't attack and think repositioning themselves is a good idea instead. If the enemies all took a more aggressive approach, then there would be some pressure to win.
  • The Merciless Squid seems to be having a little bit of an identity crisis. Why do they have Retribution 2? That's a Witchdoctor's power. Considering they're melee units, I don't think they can even use that. I think this is supposed to be Vengeance Strike 2.
  • The Merciless Jellyfish are having similar problems to what Yom K'imil's Ghastly Mummies were. That problem being that they spend too much time using Soulreaver instead of their potentially more dangerous direct attacks. They're also the ones most prone to aimlessly moving around. If they're going to use their basic attacks more, I would suggest an increase in their accuracy. But if you want them to keep using their Powers, they need something more powerful than a simple Soulreaver (Chain Lightning could be interesting...). Additionally, I might suggest a few ranks in Witch Hunter to counter Witchdoctors. (Does it work for Witchdoctor Powers? I forget.)
  • Musketeers have an incredible advantage in this fight due to not provoking any of the enemies Epic Talents. I'm less certain of how this could be solved, but Musketeers tend to be frail. The other changes I've mentioned might be enough to put them on their toes.
  • The Merciless Flying Fish is mostly good, though I think it could do with some coffee before it goes into battle. It looks grouchy.

Now that all the events have passed through, I hope community suggestions can be taken into account. Speaking of which, the drops rates for the new stuff are still too low in my opinion.