Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Building Lesser Companions: Skull Island Companions

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I've decided. There's enough love for this game left in me for me to waste time monologuing about improvements for Side Companions again. I've always liked being an ideas man, anyway.

So, Skull Island, first world in the game. I'll likely leave out one or two Companions for the sake of time and be able to put then in other posts (I like things that have a common theme), but there are still a LOT of Skull Island Companions. And so many of them have been tragically left behind as the game progresses, lacking the improvements they need and being forced to menial tasks like Plunderin' and Pet Wranglin' (which actually sounds fun, but you know what I mean). In many of these starting Companions, there is a common desire for what's needed: Promotions.

• Nanu Nanu, the Water Mole Spearman, is an example of that's needed. He already has one Promotion, but needs at lease two more in order to be comparable to other Companions. Nanu Nanu's Powers also need to improve during this process, with his Epic Strike turning into a Mega and Super Strike.
  • Romba is in need of similar treatment as Nanu Nanu. With their lack of Relentless, they need something extra as well to make sure their presence on the battlefield is more impactful. More copies of critical hit Powers, maybe? Also more ranks in their innate Epic Talents, that never hurts!
  • Bones McGee has two Promotions already, so he isn't all awful. But the game has progressed enough that a third one would still be helpful. As he promotes, he could also be with more innate ranks of Pirate and Quick Adjust. Also, his own Epic Strike currently does not upgrade as he promotes, which it should.
  • Iago is from the later part of the game in Port Regal, and thus has a few Epic Talents already to his name. He's actually not a bad Companion; I've seen him used to some success, at least. He has the potential to be great, but I still think one more Promotion around the current endgame would be appreciated to really unlock this Unicorn's potential. You seeing a common theme in what I want for these fellows yet?
  • The Crazy Monquistador has no promotions, which is not okay from a viability standpoint. He needs to receive three Promotions over the course of the game like other Skull Island Companions. As he Promotes, more innate ranks in his Return Fire Epic Talent would help him possibly stay on track with other Companions. Also, since he's crazy, I think he could do with a power that's also crazy. An attack with good poison damage, perhaps? And another Epic Strike for this fellow, too!
  • Tricky Vinny is like Iago in that he's technically not bad, just a bit outdone by the more flashy stuff out there. So, like every other Companion on this list, he needs a Promotion! (I told you I like things with a common theme, right?) Additionally, his ranks in Pirate and possibly also Parting Shot should advance as he promotes.

Wow, is that... is that really most of Side Companions in Skull Island? I kind of thought there would be more. And before you ask, I know I missed the Batacuda, Starter Companions and Kracken Skulls Companions; I'm saving them for another time.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Even if they cannot create a whole new world for Pirates to sail in - I'd rather they work on some fun, new promotion quests for these companions than farm for more keys to fight in more skeleton key dungeons.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I knew I forgot one somewhere! And I can see why; the Water Mole Slingman is a completely forgettable character. With no Powers or abilities to his name and only a single rank of Parting Shot, there is nothing special about this platypus at all. He can't chain Epic Talents with Burst Fire or deal with other enemies one-on-one with his other abilities. If only he were a secret agent or something...

I have an idea to give this fellow a distinct, unique quality. To make up for his lack of Burst Fire, I think he needs two Musketeer Powers to his name. The first is Grape Shot, a Power that spreads out in a cone to be able to hit a number of enemies. As the Water Mole Slingman promotes, this Power would upgrade to Case Shot and Canister Shot to ensure this niche doesn't become unusable.

The Second ability would be Raise Barricade. This power starts out small, only covering a single tile with a weak obstacle, but could still have some chance niches in the early game. As the Water Mole Slingman Promotes, though, it would eventually cover three and then five tiles with obstacles that are not so easy to deal with. And while we're at it, can the way the Barricades work on diagonals be changed, please? Enemies can just walk right through it currently.

There, now that's all of them. I can be content now.