Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Movement Increasing Buffs

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 30, 2009
So I've noticed this as a poorly designed buff mechanic with some of the witchdoctor spells but I never really minded it much until today when I was trying out some different dubloons. If you use a buff spell that increases a character's spaces they can move, this effect will not work the turn you cast it, since the buff hasn't technically been placed on the unit yet during the planning phase so they will only be able to move their standard amount of spaces. Now for witchdoctor spells this means that you are effectively losing an entire turn of this buff since the turn you cast it counts towards the duration. In most cases I'm sure people don't mind since you can just wait a turn and then use the extra movement the next turn and you still get access to the bonus epics on the turn it is casted (if you're using the stronger version).

The real problem comes in when you realize that this failed mechanic interaction actually makes certain dubloon effects useless. As an example, tonight I used a dubloon that increases movement ability by 50% for 1 turn for the entire team. Since the game doesn't acknowledge the buff until you use it during that turn, none of your units can use the effect, and then at the end of the turn the effect expires and the dubloon literally has done nothing to improve your gameplay.

My suggested fix is to make it so that when these types of dubloons and the spells that increase movement are selected, the buff be recognized for the unit during the planning phase as long as the effect will be applied before that companion's turn. That way you would be able to select the extra movement spaces during the planning phase and you would be able to utilize the buff that you are casting for the entire duration that it is being applied for.

If in the scenario where say you have Mormo selected to cast this spell on the next companion in your roster and then you choose the extra distance on that companion, and then you go back to Mormo and cancel the spell command, you could make it so that the buffed companions selected options also reset so you must choose them again, or simply have that companion fail to do anything unless you had reselected their movement and such before the timer expired.

If in the event that this kind of fix is too difficult to code into the game, I would suggest that any movement increasing effects that only have a 1 turn duration either be increased to 2 turns, or that they are just simply removed from the game. Having an effect in the game that cannot be utilized in any scenario, effectively makes it pointless to the game anyways.

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone is having a pleasant night in the spiral :)

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Dalicon on Jan 26, 2017 wrote:
So I've noticed this as a poorly designed buff mechanic with some of the witchdoctor spells but I never really minded it much until today when I was trying out some different dubloons. If you use a buff spell that increases a character's spaces they can move, this effect will not work the turn you cast it, since the buff hasn't technically been placed on the unit yet during the planning phase so they will only be able to move their standard amount of spaces. Now for witchdoctor spells this means that you are effectively losing an entire turn of this buff since the turn you cast it counts towards the duration. In most cases I'm sure people don't mind since you can just wait a turn and then use the extra movement the next turn and you still get access to the bonus epics on the turn it is casted (if you're using the stronger version).

The real problem comes in when you realize that this failed mechanic interaction actually makes certain dubloon effects useless. As an example, tonight I used a dubloon that increases movement ability by 50% for 1 turn for the entire team. Since the game doesn't acknowledge the buff until you use it during that turn, none of your units can use the effect, and then at the end of the turn the effect expires and the dubloon literally has done nothing to improve your gameplay.

My suggested fix is to make it so that when these types of dubloons and the spells that increase movement are selected, the buff be recognized for the unit during the planning phase as long as the effect will be applied before that companion's turn. That way you would be able to select the extra movement spaces during the planning phase and you would be able to utilize the buff that you are casting for the entire duration that it is being applied for.

If in the scenario where say you have Mormo selected to cast this spell on the next companion in your roster and then you choose the extra distance on that companion, and then you go back to Mormo and cancel the spell command, you could make it so that the buffed companions selected options also reset so you must choose them again, or simply have that companion fail to do anything unless you had reselected their movement and such before the timer expired.

If in the event that this kind of fix is too difficult to code into the game, I would suggest that any movement increasing effects that only have a 1 turn duration either be increased to 2 turns, or that they are just simply removed from the game. Having an effect in the game that cannot be utilized in any scenario, effectively makes it pointless to the game anyways.

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone is having a pleasant night in the spiral :)
I'm so sorry about your problem, Dalicon! I don't have a Witchdoctor, so I don't know what the spells are like, but I am sincerely sorry about your problem. As I try to tell everyone these days, the best thing to do is to either tell a Community Manager on the Pirate101 Message Boards (here), or just let KingsIsle Support know at support@kingsisle.com.

I hope the problem gets fixed!

Thanks, good hunting, and for the Resistance!

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer