Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How to Feed Your Dragon (and other critters, too)

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ahoy there fellow pirates, message board marauders and pet collecting enthusiasts!

I just wanted to provide a post/link to a pet feeding reference guide that I created over on P101 Central. It's kind of a "cheat sheet" that will hopefully help you all get the most out of feeding your pirates' pets. Training up a pet to the higher levels, and towards max, can be a bit time consuming. This reference guide will help you get there a teeny bit quicker.

We all know that pets can LIKE/LOVE any given snack....or just not really care too much for the snack they eat. They always get the XP bonus that a snack gives them, but feeding them a snack that they LIKE/LOVE after every training session, can help you maximize the training results.

So what determines if a snack produces a LIKED/LOVED result? Two things, actually. The world origin of the snack and the category/type of snack. Feeding a pet a snack that shares the same world origin as the pet will produce a LIKE result. As will feeding it a snack from the Snack Type that it prefers -- either a MAIN COURSE, SIDE DISH or DESSERT snack. Feeding it a snack from both the world origin and snack category that it prefers produces a LOVED result. When a pet LIKES/LOVES a snack it gets a small boost in both XP and POWER (on top of what the snack already provides). The boosts are as follows...

LIKE = + 4 XP and + 1 Pet Power
LOVE = + 8 XP and + 2 Pet Power

Now that may not seem like much, but throughout the course of training a pet to max....all of those +4s/+8s can add up towards reaching your goals a bit sooner. The pet feeding/snack reference sheet just helps you determine which snacks and pets fit into which WORLD and SNACK TYPE categories.

Here is a link to the updated reference guide: Snack Attack 2: A Pet Feeding Cheat Sheet

And best of luck to you and all of your little critters!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 10, 2017 wrote:
Ahoy there fellow pirates, message board marauders and pet collecting enthusiasts!

I just wanted to provide a post/link to a pet feeding reference guide that I created over on P101 Central. It's kind of a "cheat sheet" that will hopefully help you all get the most out of feeding your pirates' pets. Training up a pet to the higher levels, and towards max, can be a bit time consuming. This reference guide will help you get there a teeny bit quicker.

We all know that pets can LIKE/LOVE any given snack....or just not really care too much for the snack they eat. They always get the XP bonus that a snack gives them, but feeding them a snack that they LIKE/LOVE after every training session, can help you maximize the training results.

So what determines if a snack produces a LIKED/LOVED result? Two things, actually. The world origin of the snack and the category/type of snack. Feeding a pet a snack that shares the same world origin as the pet will produce a LIKE result. As will feeding it a snack from the Snack Type that it prefers -- either a MAIN COURSE, SIDE DISH or DESSERT snack. Feeding it a snack from both the world origin and snack category that it prefers produces a LOVED result. When a pet LIKES/LOVES a snack it gets a small boost in both XP and POWER (on top of what the snack already provides). The boosts are as follows...

Now that may not seem like much, but throughout the course of training a pet to max....all of those +4s/+8s can add up towards reaching your goals a bit sooner. The pet feeding/snack reference sheet just helps you determine which snacks and pets fit into which WORLD and SNACK TYPE categories.

Here is a link to the updated reference guide: Snack Attack 2: A Pet Feeding Cheat Sheet

This is going in my "watched topics" list
I have just one question; how do we determine what is the world origin of our pets?

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 10, 2017 wrote:

Wow, great post, Valkoor! I see you're getting back in action on the Message Boards!

I just thought you just give your Pet some food.

(Just kidding. )

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 9 Musketeer

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on May 10, 2017 wrote:
This is going in my "watched topics" list
I have just one question; how do we determine what is the world origin of our pets?
So...."how do we determine what is the world origin of our pets?"

To find out world origins, it takes a little guess work followed by some good ol' trial-n-error.

What I do when I get a new pet, is first try to determine what type of snack they prefer. There are only 3 types (vs. 7 world options, including the "unknown" category), so snack type is easiest to narrow. But I do take into account what a pet looks like & if I've seen that kind of creature in a certain world, as this may associate a pet with a world origin.

Here's what I have done for 100's of pets, in my research to put together the reference guide.

I first try to figure out what snack type the pet LIKES. I pick a snack from a world that I think the pet doesn't originate from. That way it's easier to not get a LIKED result from possibly 2 different things.

For example:

Tawny Sky Turtle resembles creatures found in MooShu. Hunch leads me to believe it's a "MooShu pet", so I feed it a low-level Skull Island snack. As with pets, you can kind of guess at what category the snacks fall into, based upon the snack -- Fish Fingers (sounds main-coursey-ish); Scrimshaw Swiss (eh, a bit Side Dishy-ish) and Molten Lava Cake (yummy, desserty-ish).

So I feed the Turtle a Skull Island DESSERT, & it doesn't produce a LIKE result. That tells me 2 things: it doesn't prefer DESSERTS & it's not a Skull Island pet. I then feed it another SI snack from a different snack Category, this time a SIDE DISH & it LIKES it. Now I know it prefers SIDE DISHES & I'm halfway to knowing what it LOVES -- just need world origin. Well, hunch told me it may be a MooShu pet, so I look to see if I have any MooShu SIDE DISH snacks. If I do, I feed it one &...it LOVES it! So I now know it's world origin. If I don't have a MooShu SIDE DISH snack, I feed it a MAIN COURSE or DESSERT snack from MooShu. If it LIKES it, that also tells me its world origin is MooShu, already knowing it prefers SIDE DISH snacks.

Easy peasy, critter squeezy!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Helpful Aurora Par... on May 10, 2017 wrote:
Wow, great post, Valkoor! I see you're getting back in action on the Message Boards!

I just thought you just give your Pet some food.

(Just kidding. )

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 9 Musketeer
Thank you, Aurora

Hopefully the guide on Central will help players max out pets & power a wee bit sooner. One can certainly feed their critter(s) any ol' snack, and surely progress them towards max. But I love my pets too much and want to see them as happy as a termite on Ratty's leg.

And yeah, I took a 2-3 month break to work on some schooling, writing, change of direction and other family-filled activities. So posting and playing was tough to squeeze in. I wouldn't say I'm "back in action" (at least in full force), but I'm trying to get in some chatty-typy when and if I can. I care about the game, the players, the posters and the KI crew too much, to not at least make an attempt to stop in and say hello. Tough at times, these days -- and I know that at any given moment I may go a few days, weeks or even months without posting/playing...but I jump in when I can.

Keep smilin', sailin', piratin' and laughin'!

Ensign
Dec 14, 2009
Okay, okay. You told us how to feed our dragons, but...

How to train your dragon? Properly that is, with good strength and stats and such.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Sneaky Lucas on May 27, 2017 wrote:
Okay, okay. You told us how to feed our dragons, but...

How to train your dragon? Properly that is, with good strength and stats and such.
L.O.L.!

I know the secret but I'm not telling you.

Welcome to the Message Boards, Lucas!

(Helpful Aurora Parker: Thank you for attending the class on how to train your dragons... )