Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pack rng too op

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Rng is something players hate a lot, i have a solution to remove some rng while still keeping the profits from packs high. Every player wants pack companions, they're unique and have powerful skills and are one of the main selling points for packs, baar is one of the top 3 buck companions after all, but the chance of getting a companion is painfully low, you spend a lot of $$$ but dont get a companion and its very frustrating, so i suggest if you buy the 60k crown package you also get a companion box from whatever pack you choose and it gets added to your gifts then you open it on the character you want and you get a companion you dont have, or when you buy the 60k crowns you get a companion token you can spend in the crown shop to get any companion from the normal companion crown shop or you can spend it on a pack and get a companion from that pack

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 15, 2017 wrote:
Rng is something players hate a lot, i have a solution to remove some rng while still keeping the profits from packs high. Every player wants pack companions, they're unique and have powerful skills and are one of the main selling points for packs, baar is one of the top 3 buck companions after all, but the chance of getting a companion is painfully low, you spend a lot of $$$ but dont get a companion and its very frustrating, so i suggest if you buy the 60k crown package you also get a companion box from whatever pack you choose and it gets added to your gifts then you open it on the character you want and you get a companion you dont have, or when you buy the 60k crowns you get a companion token you can spend in the crown shop to get any companion from the normal companion crown shop or you can spend it on a pack and get a companion from that pack
Even for those whose luck sucks bilge when buying packs, there's still a chance of getting a companion, and it's the same chance for everyone.There should be no guaranties at pack recruits ( especially by your idea - which would truly make it pay to win. )
And even more so by making it a pick and choose for which pirate.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 16, 2017 wrote:
Even for those whose luck sucks bilge when buying packs, there's still a chance of getting a companion, and it's the same chance for everyone.There should be no guaranties at pack recruits ( especially by your idea - which would truly make it pay to win. )
And even more so by making it a pick and choose for which pirate.
Despite some of this games other obvious and painful issues the companion system is one of the best ive seen, you can win nearly any match with just basic companions, you dont need these new ones to win and often times they will hurt you if you use them, the haywire ones especially, they open new strategies for sure but they wont make you win, its not like with bannered summons where you can inflate your skill level greatly, you have to know how to use them to be good with them, even nausica when she came out was counterable with relative ease despite her being released when quick draw 3 companions were the meta and despite her being the strongest and still is the strongest musket in the game it wouldnt be pay to win, itd be pay to stop wanting to punch your computer when you spend $60 and dont get a companion, ki still rakes in the money with packs and companions, players get less rng, and it isnt pay to win, the only downside would be the time it takes to get this idea approved and into the game

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I think with the content of both of the posts you contradicted yourself.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
zuto4011a on Jun 16, 2017 wrote:
Despite some of this games other obvious and painful issues the companion system is one of the best ive seen, you can win nearly any match with just basic companions, you dont need these new ones to win and often times they will hurt you if you use them, the haywire ones especially, they open new strategies for sure but they wont make you win, its not like with bannered summons where you can inflate your skill level greatly, you have to know how to use them to be good with them, even nausica when she came out was counterable with relative ease despite her being released when quick draw 3 companions were the meta and despite her being the strongest and still is the strongest musket in the game it wouldnt be pay to win, itd be pay to stop wanting to punch your computer when you spend $60 and dont get a companion, ki still rakes in the money with packs and companions, players get less rng, and it isnt pay to win, the only downside would be the time it takes to get this idea approved and into the game
If you're spending $60, why not just use those crowns to buy a new companion. Before you said that you feel there should be a free companion token but why not just use the newly purchased crowns to buy yourself a companion. Also, like anecorbie said before, it's the same chances for everyone and some people just get lucky at that time they open the packs.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 16, 2017 wrote:
Why does everything with you have to impact PVP?
Doesn't pay to win also occur in PVE play? That's why many of the Crown shop companions are considered valuable ( not to mention Bundle companions ).
KI possibly gets more revenue from players buying packs for the companions than they would with a one-shot-buy-your-way-to-victory companion choice.
Also players would be choosing only those companions perceived as "OP" and miss out on a good companion due to other player's prejudices.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 17, 2017 wrote:
Doesn't pay to win also occur in PVE play? That's why many of the Crown shop companions are considered valuable ( not to mention Bundle companions ).
KI possibly gets more revenue from players buying packs for the companions than they would with a one-shot-buy-your-way-to-victory companion choice.
Also players would be choosing only those companions perceived as "OP" and miss out on a good companion due to other player's prejudices.
Because pvp is the only tough thing in this game, pve is so easy i'd go as far as saying the only way for the devs to make something impossible for me to solo would be to make the battle require a second pirate for the mechanics, if you actually brought a team of 4 like the "hardest" dungeons suggest you can do it with only chicken miners and nurse quinns, and even solo you can do anything with just the basic companions you just have to be good enough so no there isnt pay to win in pve, its just pay to save yourself from an extra 5 rounds, and it isnt a one shot buy your way to victory, there is still rng unless its literally the last companion you're trying to get in which case you've probably spent a couple hundred bucks already for just one character to have them unless you have insane luck, in which case stop playing p101 and start playing the lottery.

FrostedNutella- You could buy a companion from the regular crown shop companion options with the crowns for sure but its the pack companions people want the most and that what the tokens are for mainly, they could use them on a regular companion but then they'd risk spending a lot more for a pack companion later

Durante- how

Lieutenant
Jan 23, 2011
anecorbie on Jun 17, 2017 wrote:
In my experience with packs, I found that many of the companions that I wasn't aiming for yet got, were actually a lot more useful than I thought. For example, I got the Haywire Musketeer and Ghor, two of which I weren't aiming for (mostly because I am a buck and would rather those companions). I thought I would try a new set up in the Smuggler's Arena using Ghor, Exeter and the Haywire Musketeer. They are the main reason why I finish the Arena alone.

To go off of the pack companions being annoying to get, I have been getting really lucky ever since the Ashes of the Armada pack came out (I got all 4 companions within a month of it's release). But before that, I have spent over 60,000 crowns on Grizzly Beast packs to not get a single companion (I did this multiple times to not get one companion EVEN when there were sales going on).

What I am trying to say through all of this is that changing the packs system would be too simple to get some of the great companions they offer (personally I find all of them to be useful in some way). Some days you get lucky, and other days (or even years) you just come up with complete dirt (or other cool items from the packs like mega pet snacks and companion training tomes).

I am not trying to say your idea of companion tokens is a dumb idea, because personally I think it would be cool to have those but not for buying their products. Maybe if you won a contest or got it by truly earning it instead of buying it would be a better way to still get a chance at these companions.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
zuto4011a on Jun 17, 2017 wrote:
Because pvp is the only tough thing in this game, pve is so easy i'd go as far as saying the only way for the devs to make something impossible for me to solo would be to make the battle require a second pirate for the mechanics, if you actually brought a team of 4 like the "hardest" dungeons suggest you can do it with only chicken miners and nurse quinns, and even solo you can do anything with just the basic companions you just have to be good enough so no there isnt pay to win in pve, its just pay to save yourself from an extra 5 rounds, and it isnt a one shot buy your way to victory, there is still rng unless its literally the last companion you're trying to get in which case you've probably spent a couple hundred bucks already for just one character to have them unless you have insane luck, in which case stop playing p101 and start playing the lottery.

FrostedNutella- You could buy a companion from the regular crown shop companion options with the crowns for sure but its the pack companions people want the most and that what the tokens are for mainly, they could use them on a regular companion but then they'd risk spending a lot more for a pack companion later

Durante- how
I was mentioning something about before when someone said something about a companion token but otherwise, it's all the same chances for everyone when opening packs for a companion. I got the message that you felt like you were getting more unlucky than others so I had mentioned that it's all the same for everyone else.

Petty Officer
Dec 31, 2009
Something I would love to see and have mentioned before, is when you actually do manage to get a pack companion, it goes to your gift box so you can redeem it on the proper pirate. Been trying to get Baar on and off for awhile now, but of course so far i have the witch doctor and musketeer one on my buccaneer, all they do is per wranglin' :) Don't get me wrong I am sure they are good companions, but on a buccaneer they are kind of useless.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Jasmine3429 on Jun 20, 2017 wrote:
Something I would love to see and have mentioned before, is when you actually do manage to get a pack companion, it goes to your gift box so you can redeem it on the proper pirate. Been trying to get Baar on and off for awhile now, but of course so far i have the witch doctor and musketeer one on my buccaneer, all they do is per wranglin' :) Don't get me wrong I am sure they are good companions, but on a buccaneer they are kind of useless.
Buccaneers often need a ranged companion, Ghor is an excellent musketeer. I have Khord on my buck & have used him.
Many players here need to expand their horizons as to "useful" companions, whether or not those companions "reflect" that class.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Well, it sounds to me like you haven't tried using them...

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
It's not entertaining to receive a companion guaranteed, the fun of these companions is the luck, they aren't meta and necesarry like Nausica

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
witchdoctor daruis on Jun 21, 2017 wrote:
It's not entertaining to receive a companion guaranteed, the fun of these companions is the luck, they aren't meta and necesarry like Nausica
nausica isnt necessary, no companion is

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 21, 2017 wrote:
Then it's not necessary to have a companion coupon for a purchase of Crowns block.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
zuto4011a on Jun 21, 2017 wrote:
I'm just trying to put forward the fact the she is meta and more of a necessity for PvP over any of the companions in any pack

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 22, 2017 wrote:
Then it's not necessary to have a companion coupon for a purchase of Crowns block.
a companion, and a game mechanic are 2 very different things

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 22, 2017 wrote:
a companion, and a game mechanic are 2 very different things
I agree, yet your proposal wasn't to reduce the RNG, but to introduce a coupon for a pack companion.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Let's just take a look at your suggestion ok

So your saying that if I buy 60K crowns I basically get Baar for free

Now what you don't understand here is that KI loses money because your no longer spending the crowns on the packs and you can spend them elsewhere, whereas usually you would have a small amount of crowns left by the time you received Baar

Do u see why this can't work now

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 22, 2017 wrote:
I agree, yet your proposal wasn't to reduce the RNG, but to introduce a coupon for a pack companion.
If you cant see how that would reduce rng then im afraid this conversation is pointless

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I don't find any of them useless, on whichever pirate has them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 23, 2017 wrote:
If you cant see how that would reduce rng then im afraid this conversation is pointless
Maybe because your proposal doesn't reduce the RNG? What you're proposing is a BOGO ( buy one item, get one item for free. )

Ensign
Apr 09, 2017
zuto4011a on Jun 15, 2017 wrote:
Arr, RNG could either make you go on a spending frenzy or entirely stop you from spending money on Pirate.
I was surprised enough to get Khord and Baar within my first five packs!

Wolf Dove Lvl 70

Michael Jackson Lvl 26

Black Tyrone Lvl 10

Hope to see you in the spiral!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Soviet Russia on Aug 1, 2017 wrote:
Arr, RNG could either make you go on a spending frenzy or entirely stop you from spending money on Pirate.
I was surprised enough to get Khord and Baar within my first five packs!

Wolf Dove Lvl 70

Michael Jackson Lvl 26

Black Tyrone Lvl 10

Hope to see you in the spiral!
That's some excellent luck, Soviet Russia, and welcome to the message boards!

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
anecorbie on Jun 20, 2017 wrote:
Buccaneers often need a ranged companion, Ghor is an excellent musketeer. I have Khord on my buck & have used him.
Many players here need to expand their horizons as to "useful" companions, whether or not those companions "reflect" that class.
You're right, Anecorbie. Many players need to expand their horizons and use different companions. For example, as I stated in an earlier post, I soloed Duomo on my Swashbuckler, one of the hardest dungeons in the game, with an odd choice of companions. I used Old Scratch, Gracie Conrad, and the Valencian Crab Hermit. Their summons helped soak up damage and Old Scratch boosted my bleed out damage and poison damage. Since I couldn't attack with hide, I instead used hide to poison the enemy with Old Scratch's Mojo Buffs. So in conclusion, you don't NEED pack companions to win. If I can solo Valencia part two's hardest dungeon using the Valencian Crab Hermit, I can do anything. Also as a side note, I banked my Captain Blood's Jacket to prove I can solo Duomo. In short, every companion has its purpose. You just have to find out what they can and can't do.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 17 Musketeer-in-Training)