Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Reduce training tome and Miracle Mitch costs

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 14, 2015
I swear, if there's one thing that could make me rage quit this game as a whole, it's going broke. Between needing to upgrade gear on a regular basis, upgrade my ship constantly, and training my companions so they don't fall behind every time I level, I lose gold really, REALLY fast in this game!

People have told me "Keep doing the quests, the gold will come" Well, here's a news flash, smarty: As fast as I GAIN that gold, I LOSE it because I need to buy training tomes for my companions, or they'll end up falling behind in level and getting killed on a regular basis ( which results in more lost gold or 5+ hours of wasted time while I wait for them to recover ). And because training tomes are few and farbetween, I only have 4 viable units for the later game, the rest having fallen behind in level eons ago. The amount of gold I'd have to dump to get them all leveled up would probably have me endlessly grinding gold until next Halloween, simply because those tomes cost too much. And Brawlin' isn't very reliable, either, since they barely get anything from that.

I can see that your trying to make the game easier to get into for new players, reducing the nautical XP curve and all, but there are other areas of the game that DESPERATELY need attention, or new players are going to get turned away from the game really quickly ( Not a good thing when people are starting to check this game out again, following Wizard101's major surge in success recently ). Especially once they hit the level 30-40 range. Perhaps cut the cost of Miracle Mitch and training tomes in half or something? That would definitely balance things out a bit.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Hi Scot S -- there are dozens of threads with this same idea, and dozens complaining that players want their same companion team to win every battle.

You have a large crew for a reason. If your favorite companions are getting defeated, they are NOT the best ones for the battle strategy. Change it up! Try something new!

And if you are updating your gear and your ship equipment for GOLD all the time, stop doing that and farm for gear and ship equipment. The best stuff is gotten through battle, not buying.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Scot S on Dec 31, 2020 wrote:
I swear, if there's one thing that could make me rage quit this game as a whole, it's going broke. Between needing to upgrade gear on a regular basis, upgrade my ship constantly, and training my companions so they don't fall behind every time I level, I lose gold really, REALLY fast in this game!

People have told me "Keep doing the quests, the gold will come" Well, here's a news flash, smarty: As fast as I GAIN that gold, I LOSE it because I need to buy training tomes for my companions, or they'll end up falling behind in level and getting killed on a regular basis ( which results in more lost gold or 5+ hours of wasted time while I wait for them to recover ). And because training tomes are few and farbetween, I only have 4 viable units for the later game, the rest having fallen behind in level eons ago. The amount of gold I'd have to dump to get them all leveled up would probably have me endlessly grinding gold until next Halloween, simply because those tomes cost too much. And Brawlin' isn't very reliable, either, since they barely get anything from that.

I can see that your trying to make the game easier to get into for new players, reducing the nautical XP curve and all, but there are other areas of the game that DESPERATELY need attention, or new players are going to get turned away from the game really quickly ( Not a good thing when people are starting to check this game out again, following Wizard101's major surge in success recently ). Especially once they hit the level 30-40 range. Perhaps cut the cost of Miracle Mitch and training tomes in half or something? That would definitely balance things out a bit.
There are ways to get gold besides questing; Companion Tasks. Set them Plunderin' for gold, at max level without ranks you get 547 gold from each companion ( you get more if they have at least 1 rank). Scavengin' for gear can get you gold by selling what your companions collect (with the added bonus of carded gear, sometimes). Wranglin' gathers you pet snacks or gear (sometimes pets) and you can sell those snacks/gear that you don't need to use for gold.
The Ambassador's Quests give a nice chunk of gold (40,000) to complete all 4. And raiding the Tower of Moo Manchu will give more than enough in gold and gear to buy many tomes, I often end up at max gold from there.
There is a member benefit that allows cheaper Miracle Mitch cures or double companion tasking, keep an eye out for these benefits (if you're a member).