Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pets?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 12, 2013
Can anyone please explain pets to me?
I am currently a level 15 Buccaneer with a level 10 peace dove.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
brian angel grove on Mar 24, 2021 wrote:
Can anyone please explain pets to me?
I am currently a level 15 Buccaneer with a level 10 peace dove.
Pets can be a true assist in battle, some have powerful talents & attacks, sometimes they can grant you powers or boost stats.

It's almost required to get the best pet possible. You can ask friends with a good pet to morph with your pet or ask strangers in the Morphing tent on Bestia.

Ensign
Sep 12, 2013
So what is a recommended pet build for me?
And is there any way to increase the chances of my pet appearing in battle?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
brian angel grove on Mar 29, 2021 wrote:
Pets with 1 (or more) ranks in the "loyal" talent have a better chance of showing in battle. I'm of the opinion that a pet that either has a heal as a power or a grant is desirable; other powers or grants are up to you. Since you have a melee class, perhaps a shield or an extra bladestorm might be handy.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
brian angel grove on Mar 29, 2021 wrote:
Pet kind doesn't matter much, only the manifested talents matter, and you can hatch those onto any pet type you want. A couple pets have an increased chance to show in battle, such as the Ostrich in a Pear Tree and I believe another of the Xmas pets. Pets that don't have such free extra chance still show up quite a lot in battle, and when it comes to PvP all pets will most normally manifest during such long play. In PvP it might actually be nicer if a pet shows up later rather than sooner.

Ensign
Sep 12, 2013
So if my pet gets grant relentless and I also train relentless, would that mean that the grants relentless from my pet would be nullified or will the chances of relentless activating becoming more?

And I have never done morphing before. Does it require a lot of gold because I currently have around 10000 and am saving for buying a Buccaneers den.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
brian angel grove on Mar 31, 2021 wrote:
So if my pet gets grant relentless and I also train relentless, would that mean that the grants relentless from my pet would be nullified or will the chances of relentless activating becoming more?

And I have never done morphing before. Does it require a lot of gold because I currently have around 10000 and am saving for buying a Buccaneers den.
If your pet grants relentless and you train relentless, then you get 2 ranks in that talent; it will trigger twice in battle (randomly). BTW, that's a very good set for a buccaneer.

You can only morph an adult pet and the gold isn't outrageous. It gets more expensive the higher the level; an adult pet is cheaper than an epic pet.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
brian angel grove on Mar 31, 2021 wrote:

Relentless one would simply become relentless two and you can look at your talent list to see how ranked up a talent you have can become. Unfortunately some talents don't rank up as high as you can get them in the game. Take health for instance, companions can use a higher rank in health than pirates can despite pirates being able to get their talent just as high or higher.

Ensign
Sep 12, 2013
By the way, I was training my previous pet by making him do tasks (from the my pets section), however I had also done a side quest in bestia where my pet was made to fight some other random pet. So am I training my pet the right way or should I go to bestia to train him?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
brian angel grove on Apr 7, 2021 wrote:
By the way, I was training my previous pet by making him do tasks (from the my pets section), however I had also done a side quest in bestia where my pet was made to fight some other random pet. So am I training my pet the right way or should I go to bestia to train him?
You don't need to do pet vs pet combat to train the pet, use the training tasks set for that. PvsP is offered as a fun activity for those who like it.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009
brian angel grove on Apr 7, 2021 wrote:
The nice thing about pet training in Pirate101 is that it can be done anywhere, anytime as long as you have Energy. Pet Sparring is just a side activity that isn't very popular because of lackluster rewards.

Train up more than one pet at a time, using the pet activities that reward a bonus piece of pet gear whenever possible, you can start when the pet is level 10 and do the Hornpipe. You can also train a pet even if you don't have a snack to feed it - costs nothing and if you have free pets from Companions doing wrangling, just keep having them get the basic gear returned to you for the pets you really want to concentrate on. Bonus pet gear items sell for 1020 gold to the gear vendors up behind the Morphing Tent in the Circus Maximus. This will help when you go to Morph your best pet to make it better.

Ensign
Sep 12, 2013
Ensign
Sep 12, 2013
Do they actually help in improving stats or anything else or are they just for selling?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
brian angel grove on Apr 9, 2021 wrote:
Now I’m thinking what pet gear is...
Pet gear helps them train; some activities require certain gear. Don't worry, you'll soon get a handle on this. We were all beginners once.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
brian angel grove on Apr 9, 2021 wrote:
Do they actually help in improving stats or anything else or are they just for selling?
You can sell gear to the bazaar or in Bestia (non-auction gear) but I would do that only if I didn't need it for certain training activities.

Ensign
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks everyone for your help. Now I’ll finally be able to make a perfect pet for my Buccaneer.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009
Here is a kind of guide to the Pet Wranglin' task that you can give your companions:

http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?60735-Companion-Tasks-Pet-Wranglin

It was posted on Pirate101 Central a few years ago, but hopefully it will help you see the relationship between pets and companions, and how having a large crew and several pets can really, really help your pirate move forward in the game.

Ensign
Sep 12, 2013
Halloween Chick on Apr 13, 2021 wrote:
Here is a kind of guide to the Pet Wranglin' task that you can give your companions:

http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?60735-Companion-Tasks-Pet-Wranglin

It was posted on Pirate101 Central a few years ago, but hopefully it will help you see the relationship between pets and companions, and how having a large crew and several pets can really, really help your pirate move forward in the game.

Thanks a lot!
It was very helpful

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
Pirates need good pets!
I suggest a crab, since they pinch.

But in all honesty, there are great hatching meet ups you can attend, and ask other pirates for help getting a pet for your class.

Remember you can level a pet up past your own level. So they can be truly powerful on the board.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009
Decius Duelmaster on May 24, 2021 wrote:
Pirates need good pets!

But in all honesty, there are great hatching meet ups you can attend, and ask other pirates for help getting a pet for your class.

Remember you can level a pet up past your own level. So they can be truly powerful on the board.
Oh... my... stars and garters!

Decius returns to the message boards to talk about pets?

*thud*

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirates need good pets!

However, if you're at max level, you can't train a pet beyond that (or else I'd have a level 100 pet by now!)

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
anecorbie on May 26, 2021 wrote:
However, if you're at max level, you can't train a pet beyond that (or else I'd have a level 100 pet by now!)
Good point.

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
Halloween Chick on May 26, 2021 wrote:
Oh... my... stars and garters!

Decius returns to the message boards to talk about pets?

*thud*

Its been a while I know, I know.

Ensign
Sep 25, 2014
Pirates need good pets!

Welcome back Decius, it's been (checking my watch), 3 years since you've lasted posted in the forums! With pirate eventually getting an update, is it possible to take another look at the overall pet system? It just ... bad. It would be nice and easier to have a similar one like wiz.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
GreatAdventurer254 on May 26, 2021 wrote:
Welcome back Decius, it's been (checking my watch), 3 years since you've lasted posted in the forums! With pirate eventually getting an update, is it possible to take another look at the overall pet system? It just ... bad. It would be nice and easier to have a similar one like wiz.
I don't understand how anyone can say that Pirate pet training is bad, our pet training system is a 1000x better than wiz - it's easier and more convenient than what wiz has.

1. We don't have to do repetitive, mind numbing games for just a tiny amount of experience.
2. We can train while questing or doing another activity, we don't even have to be on-line to train.

The only thing wiz has that I would like to see here is a pet hatching kiosk.