Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How does Flanking work and how to avoid it while in group fog

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 20, 2021
So on my swashbuckler which my first one I made the noob mistake of choosing naturally sneaky instead of naturally spooky Fan has Flanking 1 by default and sometimes I have had situations where her flanking would ruin the group fog attack (When I used the Black Fog power in case ye happen to be confused) which as ye can expect annoyed the living daylights out of me.

So, I deleted my old swashbuckler and then worked on the other classes and I saved my second favorite class the Swashbuckler for last once I maxed out the other classes. And on my new buckler which is Level 47 and in the middle of MooShu, which I am at the quest where you encounter those annoying Ninja Pigs for the first time and I do not have flanking on my pirate and I do not intend on getting it but Fan does have it already.

And this is where I get confused on how flanking works cause all I know is either you or another companion or other pirate needs to be next to an enemy but that's all I know and I know I will be learning Black Fog soon and I do not want flanking to ruin Fan's hidden attack since I have seen the huge damage she can do and knowing how flanking is triggered, it will really help me a lot and make a huge difference if things have gone bad or could go bad because the one enemy I hate in P101 are those Ninja Pigs due to the sheer amount of times you fight them!

(I am gonna be working on buccaneer again since I made the wrong choice of choosing Naturally Spooky instead of Naturally Tough on buccaneer)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
GaianCommander on Oct 22, 2021 wrote:
So on my swashbuckler which my first one I made the noob mistake of choosing naturally sneaky instead of naturally spooky Fan has Flanking 1 by default and sometimes I have had situations where her flanking would ruin the group fog attack (When I used the Black Fog power in case ye happen to be confused) which as ye can expect annoyed the living daylights out of me.

So, I deleted my old swashbuckler and then worked on the other classes and I saved my second favorite class the Swashbuckler for last once I maxed out the other classes. And on my new buckler which is Level 47 and in the middle of MooShu, which I am at the quest where you encounter those annoying Ninja Pigs for the first time and I do not have flanking on my pirate and I do not intend on getting it but Fan does have it already.

And this is where I get confused on how flanking works cause all I know is either you or another companion or other pirate needs to be next to an enemy but that's all I know and I know I will be learning Black Fog soon and I do not want flanking to ruin Fan's hidden attack since I have seen the huge damage she can do and knowing how flanking is triggered, it will really help me a lot and make a huge difference if things have gone bad or could go bad because the one enemy I hate in P101 are those Ninja Pigs due to the sheer amount of times you fight them!

(I am gonna be working on buccaneer again since I made the wrong choice of choosing Naturally Spooky instead of Naturally Tough on buccaneer)
The flank talent has ruined many a strategy, but you can avoid Fan from using it if you surround her in a way that a flank won't occur. Simply make sure there are no spaces between Fan and another melee crew member or pet or summons. A basic square will prevent this (move her if you must) remember, you do have 5 rounds of hide, you have time to use her awesome buffs. After hide is used up, then her flanking talent can be triggered effectively by placing her where a flank can occur. Come on, a chance of string of hits? This is deadly stuff!
You only want naturally spooky if you're going for a Scratch strategy, I find naturally sneaky which gives you a better dodge stat more useful.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009
Using your example, if Fan is the only member of your team on the battleboard with Flanking, no one else can trigger it.

Flanking is triggered when another unit with the ability lines up directly across from the first unit, on the other side of an enemy. However, if you are using a pet that manifests the ability, or a summoned creature, and that unit moves into the wrong position, it could trigger Fan's Flanking. Just be aware of which of your team has this ability and either assign them to another task, or plan for the possibility.

I use Flanking on my Swashbuckler, and train it on her companions if they can. For me, if an enemy gains enough ground to enter my territory, the team responds and decimate the intruder.

It's all about your strategy, and using abilities as they are intended.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Halloween Chick on Oct 25, 2021 wrote:
Using your example, if Fan is the only member of your team on the battleboard with Flanking, no one else can trigger it.

Flanking is triggered when another unit with the ability lines up directly across from the first unit, on the other side of an enemy. However, if you are using a pet that manifests the ability, or a summoned creature, and that unit moves into the wrong position, it could trigger Fan's Flanking. Just be aware of which of your team has this ability and either assign them to another task, or plan for the possibility.

I use Flanking on my Swashbuckler, and train it on her companions if they can. For me, if an enemy gains enough ground to enter my territory, the team responds and decimate the intruder.

It's all about your strategy, and using abilities as they are intended.

Actually, if Fan moves to attack where a friendly (melee) unit is, a flank will occur, this includes pets and some summons.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009
anecorbie on Nov 16, 2021 wrote:
Actually, if Fan moves to attack where a friendly (melee) unit is, a flank will occur, this includes pets and some summons.
Right, sorry -- but I'm assuming that the pirate captain will take the rest of the team into account when moving Fan. The friendly melee unit must be located opposite, in effect "sandwiching" the enemy between them to trigger Flanking.

Ensign
May 20, 2021
anecorbie on Nov 16, 2021 wrote:
Yeah, I have had that happen to me once. And there were other times where I literally didn't see the flank spot (IE I would send Fan to attack while she was hidden but unfortunately the enemies were in a spot where they'd trigger her Flanking) until it was too late and it was when I used her Super Strike after I used her Shadow dance Ability to increase her Critical Hit chance, since her blade storm is always going to be triggered after I use her Super Strike and if I can get lucky, she will get a lot of critical hits and just go nuts on the unfortunate enemy and the enemy won't be able to dodge her as long as she gets at least an Epic Hit if she gets Relentless to trigger 3 times in a row. But all of that is not as bad as when I have El Toro not dodging for anything even though he has high dodge even after he uses his buff lol. But in all seriousness, I always learn how to spot flanking areas the more it happens to me by pure coincidence.