Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How to Make PvP Great Again

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
First off, I want to point out that these are only IDEAS. I highly doubt everyone will agree with absolutely everything I say, and I also expect some will completely disagree but these are just some of the conclusions I've come to realize about the game as a whole. All of these ideas I've come up with as a compromise to not only benefit pvp (Though I'm a bit bias about, being a pvper and all) but also PvE and the future of the game design wise.

Old Scratch:
I think this is something on everyone's mind, for both negative and positive reasons. Some selfishly will never admit the changes to Scratch completely removed an entire layer of processing and strategy from the game as a whole. This isn't just pvp wise with the brainless 2v2+ staple scratch and bomb/mournsong spam but also the fact that if you simply go out and farm Moo Boots (Frozen Tide) and Captain Blood's Robe (Flames) you can easily farm anything and everything with minor casualties and nothing is a challenge for you. For the longest time I've used my main account and 2nd account to constantly abuse this broken combination with Old Scratch to quickly quest through the story line and farm various dungeons. I even have an entire test realm lets play of the Valencia Part 2 using this combination of powers to get through the entire story in under 2 hours with only losing 1 companion... I didn't even have to think about my moves. It was simple 123 and it's the same for pvp. You simply press max mojo buff and either double absorb or absorb and bomb, bomb bomb. The micro decisions were completely dumb down to exponential rates. I am all for making micro decisions a thing and allowing them to be encouraged but not to this extent.

So how can Scratch be adjusted?
1. Keep Scratch's +25%
2. Change his 50% to Big Juju
3. Change his 100% to Mojo Burn

Blast of Discord:
Blast of Discord by itself is fine, but the one issue with it I'm sure Ratbeard has been made aware of and the community already knows... Is first turn using it. It's impossible to counter. So lets jump into the "solutions".

1. "Freeze" the power so you can't use it until your second turn
2. Change it to 100% affect any eligible units and keep all the other same requirements for how it works but add "to all enemies on YOUR starting side of the board" this will allow for a much larger impact, balanced, and keeping it exactly the same design wise.

FirstMate's Boon:
IMO this power is fine, but what isn't fine is it's combination with Hide's.

Solution:
1. Change the interaction with Boon+Hide

Charm (Witchdoctor Power)
I completely understand why "Charm" itself is banned, but the Witchdoctor power seems to be a bit uncalled for. Every class has its own unique power, Privateer with Zeal, Musketeer with Tempest of Torpedoes, Buccaneer with Highland's Charge, Swashbuckler with Black Fog. But Witch at most has.... Mojo storm? A very low impact card outside of PvE where scratch+flames is better?

Solution:
1. Keep Gaze Banned
2. Allow "Charm"

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Also limit the amount of epics buccaneers have. So many people die because of their endless chains of epics. Give Privateers overprotection which would cause knockback and the power of gale wind. Give Witchdoctors the ability to revive one lost companion once per battle and to cast reflect which bounces one enemy attack back at the opponent. So for example, if bombs are used it doesn't work but causes bombs to drop on the caster. Allow Witchdoctors to have swift retribution and return charming gaze to the game. Leave Privateer powers alone.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Jun 26, 2011
Honestly, I agree with everything said. Scratch has made witchdoctors sort of weaker since they rely on summons. Also the fact that it gives buck a reason to charge even faster since he is so squishy. Plus, charm was sort of the unique witch move which made other classes fear witch. Nowadays witch is seen as trash as charm is gone and most use scratch. I hope Kingsisle will change to him to something along your lines in the fall :)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Aug 27, 2016 wrote:
Also limit the amount of epics buccaneers have. So many people die because of their endless chains of epics. Give Privateers overprotection which would cause knockback and the power of gale wind. Give Witchdoctors the ability to revive one lost companion once per battle and to cast reflect which bounces one enemy attack back at the opponent. So for example, if bombs are used it doesn't work but causes bombs to drop on the caster. Allow Witchdoctors to have swift retribution and return charming gaze to the game. Leave Privateer powers alone.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Ok, Dante, I know you don't do Ranked PVP, so you don't understand the problems that Technomage is referring to that needs some attention. ( BTW, if you think it's "sour grapes" that he's making these suggestions, I'll have you know that he's one of the many Champions in Ranked PVP. )
If you entered either 1v1 or Battle Royal, you would quickly see that some aspects of Ranked PVP ( and not just Powers/Talents ) need that attention or examination ( at the very least ) by the KI developers.
I would like to see a penalty for those cheaters who refuse match after match until they are matched against themselves ( via an extra account ) or group with a friend in Battle Royal, gang-up on the other pirates, then determine who "throws" the match.
I know enough about you to know that these situations would disgust you as a competitor.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
I think I might have found another solution to blast of discord. If I remember correctly, it supposedly gives every companion a 75% chance of attacking ad infinitum. What if instead, the accuracy value was determined by will power? So say 100 will power correlates to a 50-60% chance of hitting but 200 will power bumps that number up to 75-80%. That way a privateer could still use it first turn but would be discouraged from doing so. Instead, he could will boost first turn, forcing his opponent to immediately spread out on their next turn.

If you haven't realized already, I want to make the steadying speech line of powers more viable for privy as they are currently inferior to the strength and agility equivalents.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
bluba4 on Aug 30, 2016 wrote:
I think I might have found another solution to blast of discord. If I remember correctly, it supposedly gives every companion a 75% chance of attacking ad infinitum. What if instead, the accuracy value was determined by will power? So say 100 will power correlates to a 50-60% chance of hitting but 200 will power bumps that number up to 75-80%. That way a privateer could still use it first turn but would be discouraged from doing so. Instead, he could will boost first turn, forcing his opponent to immediately spread out on their next turn.

If you haven't realized already, I want to make the steadying speech line of powers more viable for privy as they are currently inferior to the strength and agility equivalents.
Actually, using a stat as a basis of power use is a pretty good idea, and a 50%-60% chance isn't bad. Then, if the Privateer decides to take the risk of an unassisted BoD, it's on them.