Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Text chat censorship

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 28, 2013
I know the chat is censored for being rude and swearing but why are numbers censored?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
privateerking on Jan 9, 2017 wrote:
I know the chat is censored for being rude and swearing but why are numbers censored?
To protect a young player's privacy by making it impossible for them to share their phone number or home address.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I think it is because so players cannot say personal information, like their age and address.

Ensign
Nov 23, 2011
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I don't think numbers need to be censored in order to prevent people giving out age and phone number. All they would need to do is censor the words telephone, phone, age, year, years, number, and my number. That would cover it and allow players to tell other players what there levels are.

Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
privateerking on Jan 9, 2017 wrote:
To prevent the sharing of personal information (such as phone numbers and addresses).

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
well while it may be true that they censor to prevent things like phone numbers etc.
Anyone who have played for any times knows that people use words that are similar to get around this.
Even every so called 'foul' word has a short cut that is used constantly.

KI really does need to rethink this process and maybe make more common words usable and then maybe people wont have to resort to strange ways of doing things

Ensign
Mar 16, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 9, 2017 wrote:
To protect a young player's privacy by making it impossible for them to share their phone number or home address.
Simple fix to this, for the age just censor the sentence 'I am X years old' and fro phone numbers, censor a string of 4 numbers or more, no exception to this, what I mean by this is still censor it if there a is an I or and O, etc.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
phoenixorix on Jan 10, 2017 wrote:
Simple fix to this, for the age just censor the sentence 'I am X years old' and fro phone numbers, censor a string of 4 numbers or more, no exception to this, what I mean by this is still censor it if there a is an I or and O, etc.
They have done this, you can't give out a string of numbers. I found this out when I used a sentence that had the words "for" and "to" together.
You can't say the word "age". Even so, there are ways around the filter as regards numbers. You can't say "phone", "telephone" or "cell".
I think KI has done the best job they could without making it utterly impossible for us to communicate. It doesn't need fixing.
And we've answered the OP's question as to why numbers are censored.