Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Getting around the hydra glitch?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
I must have gone in and out a dozen times, each time the Ebon head WILL NOT POP UP is there a way to get around this? or do i have to just keep going in and out over and over? Any help will be appreciated.

Chris Vane~

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
KI Claimed that they fixed this / guess not

Administrator
This one is a very tricky bug to fix , but we'll take another look at it in the future. In the meantime, if you can't progress past the Hydra battle, please contact our Customer Support and ask them to advance your quest. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Email: support@pirate101.com
Web: https://www.pirate101.com/CustomerSupport/free_game

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
One-Eyed Jack on Jan 25, 2017 wrote:
This one is a very tricky bug to fix , but we'll take another look at it in the future. In the meantime, if you can't progress past the Hydra battle, please contact our Customer Support and ask them to advance your quest. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Well, I'm sure you'll keep on trying, and never give up, because we always keep pressing on!

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
One-Eyed Jack on Jan 25, 2017 wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I got it to work today luckily, so no need to call support. I hope you guys can figure out a way to fix this bug soon!

Ensign
Jun 10, 2011
KI tricky or not, I am still getting a glitch where I cannot target Ebon head six month after I first reported it (as a musket) and you claimed you fixed it. Advancing a quest is fine, but I miss out on loot, end up with dead companions, all for a glitch and not because it is a hard battle. Not cool.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
That's weird. I've done the Hydra quest three times so far, with different classes, and never had a problem getting Ebony to pop up.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Maybe it is a particular class this happens to? Or including a particular companion? If it happens over and over and over, there must be something common to all of them that causes that.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
KI has said this has been a tricky glitch. Don't think it will never be fixed, some things take time.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
I need more people to test this out and post results, but the best thing to do I've noticed is to enter, and either lose the battle via fleeing or death if the glitch occurs.

Then, you hit the resume button next to your health globe and start the battle again. I've noticed that when I do this, the glitch doesn't happen when battling the second time.

So pick companions that can do the job for the first fight, in case you're lucky enough to avoid this glitch, and if the glitch does happen, resume the dungeon and bring your a-game.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Never mind my last comment, it was a dud after all, and the advice is already on Tue wiki pages for the ebon head.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Forgive me for bumping this thread up to the top again, but it's probably easier to use this one than starting another thread or e-mailing KI with theories and what not.

Not to mention that I have no idea how many staff members KI has dedicated to troubleshooting/testing all the in-game bugs and glitches we report and it makes sense to ask the community to help out in this particular instance to see if this particular scenario can be replicated and (hopefully) eliminated.

Is it just me, or does the glitch now only occur when you deal enough damage for the head to go into hiding within the first round?

I've been farming the hydra for the fangs with the bonus dodge for my witch on and off the past couple of weeks and I've noticed that if the ebon head (whom I've dubbed Bill) gets damaged to the point of hiding within the first round, either on my turn or the hydra's, then the 30 second pause in battle happens, followed by a non-existent Bill deals damage to whomever downed it, then the non-target glitch will happen.

However, if I can prolong the damage dealing until the second round, then the glitch won't happen, and I can proceed to being surrounded by 50+ heads within 20 minutes, only to get some gold and Scrimshaw Swiss.

The rarest and most tasty of pet snacks, loved by all.

So yeah, that's my current running theory and any input by anyone that reads this post would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
King Crimson on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
Forgive me for bumping this thread up to the top again, but it's probably easier to use this one than starting another thread or e-mailing KI with theories and what not.

Not to mention that I have no idea how many staff members KI has dedicated to troubleshooting/testing all the in-game bugs and glitches we report and it makes sense to ask the community to help out in this particular instance to see if this particular scenario can be replicated and (hopefully) eliminated.

Is it just me, or does the glitch now only occur when you deal enough damage for the head to go into hiding within the first round?

I've been farming the hydra for the fangs with the bonus dodge for my witch on and off the past couple of weeks and I've noticed that if the ebon head (whom I've dubbed Bill) gets damaged to the point of hiding within the first round, either on my turn or the hydra's, then the 30 second pause in battle happens, followed by a non-existent Bill deals damage to whomever downed it, then the non-target glitch will happen.

However, if I can prolong the damage dealing until the second round, then the glitch won't happen, and I can proceed to being surrounded by 50+ heads within 20 minutes, only to get some gold and Scrimshaw Swiss.

The rarest and most tasty of pet snacks, loved by all.

So yeah, that's my current running theory and any input by anyone that reads this post would be greatly appreciated.
That's a great test case for us to check out! Thanks!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Admiral
May 30, 2010
Max DeGroot on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
Maybe it is a particular class this happens to? Or including a particular companion? If it happens over and over and over, there must be something common to all of them that causes that.
No, Max. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't and when it does it is irritating beyond belief. Makes no difference that I can tell what your pirate class is. Doesn't seem to matter if you're doing it solo or with a friend or two. Some days that ebon head just will not let you target it, even with AOE attacks.

That is an interesting premise, King Crimson. May need to try that out sometime, when the next wave of pirates hits that point.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I've been lucky with the Hydra, across two accounts, it's only showed up twice ( once on each account ) and even then exiting the game then re-entering seemed to remove the problem. ( And class wasn't a factor; it happened to a musketeer & privateer. )
That's what makes this bug so tricky, there doesn't seem to be a common factor for causing this bug to appear.
King Crimson's suggestion could be a clue - let's hope it helps the bug hunters!

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
This maybe a bit of a long shot but could you possibly redo the coding for the ebon head and (perhaps the other heads too) from scratch? Or maybe you guys could also use a wave like system like in fort basset. Wave 1 would be to defeat the 3 major high health heads. Wave 2 would be to defeat 6 mini heads. Wave 3 would have 12 mini heads, and wave 4 would be 24 heads. In each wave players can deal 25% damage max to the ebon head. Thus the objective of each wave would be to defeat all enemies, save the ebon head.

Another idea is to possibly make the ebon a massive boss head appear in only in wave 5 (no other heads are in this boss round). Or it could be defeated in wave 1 (with 1500 health), but reappear like LoPan in wave 5 with twice as much health and increased damage, as well as being larger and angrier.

I know these ideas are a bit of a long shot but maybe changing the mechanics and style of the dungeon is necessary given how long and hard it's taken to try and fix the glitch so far.