Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Talking about Companions

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Angel Angle The Li... on Aug 4, 2018 wrote:
Huh, neat. Now, since this thread is kind of dead, i thought i might drop another question! What do you think about Tyson, the chicken boxer? (He also needs another promotion, to look like the chicken pugilist in Mooshu). I think he's pretty good in battle and even starts with Relentless
Uhh he was actually okay, not great though. about average.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Angel Angle The Li... on Aug 4, 2018 wrote:
Huh, neat. Now, since this thread is kind of dead, i thought i might drop another question! What do you think about Tyson, the chicken boxer? (He also needs another promotion, to look like the chicken pugilist in Mooshu). I think he's pretty good in battle and even starts with Relentless
Sorry to have taken so long to reply: I had to gather enough enthusiasm for the subject. The main problem with these CR recruits is they're so lacking in choice of epics/talents and one is just the same as the others.Monterey Jack = Eric Jolly = Tyson. But I'll try to show why you should give them a chance. Maybe I didn't train mine right - I usually say: " There are no bad companions, just poorly trained/used companions".
Tyson: imo, the best of the flock. He gets 2 promotions Musketeer recruit, Buccaneer class . Epics - critical strike, Turn the Tide3, Relentless3, First Strike, Bladestorm, & Repel Boarders. Talents - Accuracy4, Armored4, Strong3 & Tough3.
Eric Jolly ( a bad egg ) Privateer Recruit, Buccaneer class , One promotion ( ? ) Epics - Turn the Tide, Riposte, Bladestorm, First Strike, Relentless. Talents - Accuracy4, Armored4, tough3,, rough2, & Strong.

Monterey Jack: ( keep him in the coop ) Privateer Recruit, Buccaneer class One promotion. Remember how hard he was to fight? Why does he become such a wimp when he joins us? And loses his nifty clothes, too? Same Epics as Eric. Talents - Accuracy4, Armored4, Tough4, Strong2.

Sorry about all the chicken puns, but I had to make this fun.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
fearless robert sp... on Aug 8, 2018 wrote:
The chicken miner is pretty bad in my opinion, mine is named Jake Smith *Mention of Jakes name induces flashback to cool ranch days*

*Jake is last companion alive*

Fearless rob: "Come on jake you can do it buddy! Hit em with yer pickaxe"

*Jake attemps an attack and misses then gets one shotted*

Fearless Rob:

*End flashback*

*Shudder* Those were dark times...

Fearless robert spencer.
I've used Chicken Miner in the Kane battle - he tore apart some Marines.....

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
fearless robert sp... on Aug 8, 2018 wrote:
The chicken miner is pretty bad in my opinion, mine is named Jake Smith *Mention of Jakes name induces flashback to cool ranch days*

*Jake is last companion alive*

Fearless rob: "Come on jake you can do it buddy! Hit em with yer pickaxe"

*Jake attemps an attack and misses then gets one shotted*

Fearless Rob:

*End flashback*

*Shudder* Those were dark times...

Fearless robert spencer.
LOL, that was hilarious.

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
I'm just gonna put this out there right now. Milo Graytail/Malik is my favourite Presidio companion. He gets Relentless, 3 promotions, does great damage, and to top it off, he's a Wharf Rat. That being said i do find it sorta odd how he has Vengeance Strike instead of Riposte as an Epic, seeing as he obviously has high dodge. No companion has perfect epics, i suppose.

Petty Officer
Jun 22, 2014
Ok, I've got another one, how about the Serpent Augur you get as a witchdoctor in late Aquila. Sure, it has Mournsong, but it only gets 3 epic talents. If it had more epics (and maybe a promotion), I would use this companion.

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
Well Anecorbie, you can defend some of these mediocre companions but can you defend the cream of the crop garbage companion, Oingo Boingo? Clocking in at 7495 crowns this crown shop only companion brings pretty much nothing to the table, missing key buccaneer talents like vengeance strike, relentless, not even a riposte (not to mention cheap shot as a starter talent). With only 25 armor at max level and no resist he can’t even do a decent job tanking damage unless you don’t mind him ending up on bed rest. He also doesn’t get turn the tide rank 2 when he promotes. Only time I bring out my sumo companion is when I’m trying to be funny with oingo boingo as the punchline.

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
Angel Angle The Li... on Jul 26, 2018 wrote:
Thanks, anecorbie! I was talking about good ol' McGee but it's nice to see you take that into consideration.

Now, for another wave of companions! The Monquistan Three as i like to call them, The Monquistan Monk, the Monquistan Explorer and the Monquistan Crossbowman I think they're all cool, (I REALLY wish the Explorer could get a promotion around level 60 that looked like El Nebuloso!) but what about you?

Hardy Quinn

Master Treasure Hunter
Always loved these companions, have all 3 of them on my swashbuckler and use to roll them out in Avery spar for fun and they didn’t do too bad. I ran the Veteran with hold the line 3 and the Sharpshooter with overwatch 3, allowing me to erase any foolish melee unit to run up to them with my combos, and the monk is a menace with a juju boost, he tore some people down with his vengeance strike 2 and blade storm 2, I even had him as my first mate for awhile. Stopped running them though when I accidentally deleted my Great Juju charm, I have it back now but haven’t rolled out the triumvirate since.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Friendly Jesse Pew on Aug 24, 2018 wrote:
Well Anecorbie, you can defend some of these mediocre companions but can you defend the cream of the crop garbage companion, Oingo Boingo? Clocking in at 7495 crowns this crown shop only companion brings pretty much nothing to the table, missing key buccaneer talents like vengeance strike, relentless, not even a riposte (not to mention cheap shot as a starter talent). With only 25 armor at max level and no resist he can’t even do a decent job tanking damage unless you don’t mind him ending up on bed rest. He also doesn’t get turn the tide rank 2 when he promotes. Only time I bring out my sumo companion is when I’m trying to be funny with oingo boingo as the punchline.
Thank you for your input. I'm only covering those companions which are recruited & are available through the crown shop - I won't cover the Trainer companions, MooShu, Kraken Skulls "twins" or bundle companions for that reason. I have no experience with crown shop ( except Lucy Sterling & Sgt. Shepard ) or bundle companions to "defend" them or not.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirate Master on Aug 24, 2018 wrote:
Ok, I've got another one, how about the Serpent Augur you get as a witchdoctor in late Aquila. Sure, it has Mournsong, but it only gets 3 epic talents. If it had more epics (and maybe a promotion), I would use this companion.
As I have pointed out to a few posters complaining that not all of their companions have as many epics as other companions: even one epic is better than no epics at all. Serpent Argur is a strong, solid companion to use. Especially now in conjunction with Old Scratch. My witchdoctor has her on the first page of her roster.

Would you say El Toro was useless because he gets only one epic and no critical strike? ( And has had only one promotion. )
Froggo Villa is one of favorites and he's very good despite no epic ( or promotion. )

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
The Toreador Maestro is basically a dollar store version of El Toro, but with a critical strike instead of Espirit De Corps. I personally think he's pretty good especially since he starts with Relentless.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Angel Angle The Li... on Sep 4, 2018 wrote:
The Toreador Maestro is basically a dollar store version of El Toro, but with a critical strike instead of Espirit De Corps. I personally think he's pretty good especially since he starts with Relentless.
I agree, the Toreador is an awesome companion there is hardly a battle that he doesn't get a critical, ( sometimes El Toro is so disappointing, that if he didn't have Esprit, I would never use him! )
Froggo Villa is a very good companion also, and I hope he receives a promotion soon.
I also like Tricky Vinnie. Yes, his range is short but he has a critical shot and he comes with the Jump talent.