Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The best weapon for a buccaneer

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 08, 2019
I have just gotten back into the game and was wondering what the best weapon for me would be. (I'm a level 26 Buccaneer). I am trying to do the mission for the Buckner class where you need to defeat the ghosts of the bison for Brother Wolf, but I keep getting defeated. I have the peacemakers but they do not seem to be strong enough.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
instinctHelios on Jul 15, 2019 wrote:
I have just gotten back into the game and was wondering what the best weapon for me would be. (I'm a level 26 Buccaneer). I am trying to do the mission for the Buckner class where you need to defeat the ghosts of the bison for Brother Wolf, but I keep getting defeated. I have the peacemakers but they do not seem to be strong enough.
There it is - you're using the wrong weapon for your class. Those peacemakers are an Agility based, shooty weapon, more appropriate for a Musketeer. When you use the wrong weapon for your class, you're losing not only the damage from Quint's buff but also your trained Buck powers.

You need a weapon that boosts your main stat, in the case of Buccaneers that's the Strength stat. You need a slashy or smashy type weapon ( Usually axes, spears and long swords.) Go to the bazaar and get one!

Ensign
Jul 08, 2019
OK Thanks! I have obtained some good weapons and have since long defeated that mission. Would it be a good decision to choose a weapon that has 1 gun and 1 sword/dagger? I am currently using one of those but I have other weapons that are just the sword if I need to use them. Also, is there any way of getting companion training points relatively quickly? thanks!

Ensign
Oct 16, 2014
instinctHelios on Jul 15, 2019 wrote:
If you wish to spend a bit of crowns, the Armada Pack gives a few Buccaneer weapons that give epics that will favor you. Or if you wish to continue without crowns, wait until you're level 60+ for some of the best Buccaneer weapons, such as Hykossoss Falchion, Minotaur Axe, Nefarious Axe, etc. For now, keep using weapons from the Bazaar or what the story line quests give you.
The Peacemakers may give good accuracy and decent range, it is not compatible with your class and what your class gives.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
instinctHelios on Jul 19, 2019 wrote:
OK Thanks! I have obtained some good weapons and have since long defeated that mission. Would it be a good decision to choose a weapon that has 1 gun and 1 sword/dagger? I am currently using one of those but I have other weapons that are just the sword if I need to use them. Also, is there any way of getting companion training points relatively quickly? thanks!
A combo weapon with trained talents is very effective. Just a warning: don't train overwatch if also using a melee weapon, it won't trigger in those circumstances. Burst Fire is a good talent to train with a shooty/melee combo.
A good way to get training points is to do the Trainer's side quests. Also be sure to look around in areas & dungeons; sometimes there's a tome laying around.
If you've recruited a new companion, they will be automatically above your level - set them to Keel Hawlin' and they'll bring you a tome every 24 hrs. ( less if you give them at least 1 rank in Officer & privateer companions can get more than one rank in this task. )
Tasking companions is also a good way to earn gold for tomes: Plunderin' , Scavengin' ( gear, sometimes they will bring back carded gear, sell what you don't want ) & Pet Wranglin'. Or they can be set to earn their own experience by setting them to the Brawlin' task.

Use this as a log off ritual before ending play; the next time you log in, just collect the rewards!

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
A Spooked Fan on Jul 22, 2019 wrote:
If you wish to spend a bit of crowns, the Armada Pack gives a few Buccaneer weapons that give epics that will favor you. Or if you wish to continue without crowns, wait until you're level 60+ for some of the best Buccaneer weapons, such as Hykossoss Falchion, Minotaur Axe, Nefarious Axe, etc. For now, keep using weapons from the Bazaar or what the story line quests give you.
The Peacemakers may give good accuracy and decent range, it is not compatible with your class and what your class gives.
I don't agree with your advice myself and I'll explain why. First off I have 2 Level 70 pirates, a Musketeer and a Privateer, while I have yet to experience the other 3 classes, I do know it is not required to use a weapon that is compatible with your class. You can use a weapon compatible with another class as long as you can make up for it in another way, such as spending practice points on abilities that work with the weapon you intend to use, or if you have a pet that grant abilities that work with the weapon you intend to use. There is not a "One Size Fits All" play style and that is one thing I really like about Pirate 101. I actually like using a shooty weapon on my Privateer Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg, yes it may critical slightly less but I have trained some shooty abilities using practice points and a lot of people forget that Privateer's primary focus is not attacking themselves, it's buffing their companions and healing their team.

Also I highly recommend waiting until you get to Level 70 to open any packs you have been gifted. Why? Because in 10 levels the weapon you got will not be any good anymore if you are say a Level 50 pirate.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
instinctHelios on Jul 19, 2019 wrote:
Getting free training tomes is easy if you have any companions already at your pirate's level, or over -- mainly whenever you recruit a new companion, send him/her Keel Hauling.

Also, there is a Guide to Free Training Tomes:

http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?57878&p=283675#post283675

Make sure you've picked them all up.

Other than that -- get gold from the Ambassadors' quests on the Party Barge and buy tomes with that.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Jul 23, 2019 wrote:
Getting free training tomes is easy if you have any companions already at your pirate's level, or over -- mainly whenever you recruit a new companion, send him/her Keel Hauling.

Also, there is a Guide to Free Training Tomes:

http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?57878&p=283675#post283675

Make sure you've picked them all up.

Other than that -- get gold from the Ambassadors' quests on the Party Barge and buy tomes with that.

I would advise anyone to wait until they go to Marleybone before doing the Ambassador's Assignments. Before then, those assignments are tediously long, as you know well.

(Ship Icon, plz! )

Ensign
Oct 16, 2014
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jul 22, 2019 wrote:
I don't agree with your advice myself and I'll explain why. First off I have 2 Level 70 pirates, a Musketeer and a Privateer, while I have yet to experience the other 3 classes, I do know it is not required to use a weapon that is compatible with your class. You can use a weapon compatible with another class as long as you can make up for it in another way, such as spending practice points on abilities that work with the weapon you intend to use, or if you have a pet that grant abilities that work with the weapon you intend to use. There is not a "One Size Fits All" play style and that is one thing I really like about Pirate 101. I actually like using a shooty weapon on my Privateer Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg, yes it may critical slightly less but I have trained some shooty abilities using practice points and a lot of people forget that Privateer's primary focus is not attacking themselves, it's buffing their companions and healing their team.

Also I highly recommend waiting until you get to Level 70 to open any packs you have been gifted. Why? Because in 10 levels the weapon you got will not be any good anymore if you are say a Level 50 pirate.
I can agree with your statement, however this is based on a Buccaneer with a Musketeer weapon. The Buccaneer has mostly Melee abilities and talents, while Musketeer has ranged. Surely this can still work, but it'll have to take some grinding for gear with a certain power that you wish to work with, or use the bazaar gear at level 65+. Also for every other class, you'll be learning only a few attacks and some buffs. It is possible to make it work, but not recommended. Your Privateer can utilize Shooty weapons because of what powers Privateers get. Buccaneers are different with what they get, and that was what I was talking about. For some cases this can work, but in the long run, probably not.
Also I did say if you wish to buy packs at a certain level. Not recommended, but you can.

Also if you want to use a ranged weapon for your Privateer, I recommend Phule's Wand or Moo Manchu's wand. They give 6 range and you can sit back and heal your companions at a far range.

It's not powerful, but like how you said, Privateers are mostly about buffing and helping the team.

Petty Officer
Feb 06, 2018