Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pet training activity times need to be redone

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
Pet training activity times in this game are as incredibly stupid as can be when it comes to unlocking higher world activities as their return times make them most entirely unusable in terms of ever training up a pet. As such, I and most everyone else who trains pets on a regular basis never go beyond skull island activities.

That isn't the only reason why I am writing this post, the other is that the time required to train at upper pet levels simply take way too long, especially if new worlds and higher levels ever come out. The pet training timer system works really well up to a point as it is quick at the start, though requires a lot of logging in as the pets come due.

What I think is needed isn't a huge change, but simply a topping out of how long pet activities take at the higher levels. If one imposed a maximum limit of 7 hours training time, then one could easily train their pet three times in a day without having to mess up their daily schedules, and or bed times. Another way to resolve this issue, would be to keep skull island training times just as they are now, and simply do something intelligent and make every higher world's activity times return quicker than the ones below them.

I would actually use the higher world training activities if they actually sped up pet training, instead they drastically increase pet training times per higher world unlocked and used. We want quicker completion times, not slightly higher pet training points. Most pet leveling points come from food fed to them, not from the pet training activities themselves.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Takhethis on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
Pet training activity times in this game are as incredibly stupid as can be when it comes to unlocking higher world activities as their return times make them most entirely unusable in terms of ever training up a pet. As such, I and most everyone else who trains pets on a regular basis never go beyond skull island activities.

That isn't the only reason why I am writing this post, the other is that the time required to train at upper pet levels simply take way too long, especially if new worlds and higher levels ever come out. The pet training timer system works really well up to a point as it is quick at the start, though requires a lot of logging in as the pets come due.

What I think is needed isn't a huge change, but simply a topping out of how long pet activities take at the higher levels. If one imposed a maximum limit of 7 hours training time, then one could easily train their pet three times in a day without having to mess up their daily schedules, and or bed times. Another way to resolve this issue, would be to keep skull island training times just as they are now, and simply do something intelligent and make every higher world's activity times return quicker than the ones below them.

I would actually use the higher world training activities if they actually sped up pet training, instead they drastically increase pet training times per higher world unlocked and used. We want quicker completion times, not slightly higher pet training points. Most pet leveling points come from food fed to them, not from the pet training activities themselves.
Well, sure -- if you are only training one pet at a time. Why would you limit yourself to concentrating on one particular pet? In Pirate101, you can train as many different pets as you have energy for, all at the same time. They can all be gaining experience and pet gear for you while you are questing.

So it takes a little longer to do the higher activities? Your pet is just as liable to help in battle and do everything else you need while it is training, and you only have to worry about checking on their training when you log in each day.

Do you honestly think you would log in three times a day to check on your pets and re-assign them?

I wouldn't...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Takhethis on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:

I don't see pet raining times as a huge problem: unlike W101 where you have to be on-line and training a pet (one at a time), stopping any questing you want to do. You can start a pet (or many pets) training and log-off.
And you don't have to do stupid games over and over.
If you stop at SI level, you'll never know what powers/talents they get or what grants show up. I usually stop at level 60 in Aquila, before I give up.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
Just either make it like wiz's (which is a way more effective way to train pets, takes less time and is way easier to get good pets) or cut the training times by 70-90%. Having to wait 12+ hours to train a pet is ridiculous and bad game design.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
caleb10104 on Jan 25, 2021 wrote:
Just either make it like wiz's (which is a way more effective way to train pets, takes less time and is way easier to get good pets) or cut the training times by 70-90%. Having to wait 12+ hours to train a pet is ridiculous and bad game design.
Never do it the wizard way.
1. "Takes less time" I can't believe you said that. It takes less time in P101 because we don't have to dedicate the time we're on-line to training a single pet. I don't have to be on-line for my pet to be training, set it to training and I can leave or quest. Repititious, mind-numbing games over and over sucks all the fun out of getting a pet. I barely have a few adult pets in W101 because of that, compared to the dozens of epic pets I have here in P101.

2. "Way easier to get good pets" That's why W101 installed the Hatching Kiosk, we don't have that (not yet) Finding a player with a good pet to morph with would be easier if a) we had more active players or b) a Morphing Kiosk.
I have had no problems getting a good pet or even a great one.
3. "Having to wait", You're not playing 24/7, set a pet training and go to sleep, in the morning your pet will be done and ready for the next session.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
caleb10104 on Jan 25, 2021 wrote:
As it stands now, if more levels are added to the game, pet training times are just going to keep increasing along with the number of points needed per level to advance to the next one. It really is too much, too draining, and too real time demanding and slow.

I want to be able to set up the next orders and what is to be fed in advance so that I don't constantly have to log on to train, change pirates to train, and constantly mess up my at home free time.

Skull Island training activities are quick at first and then slow way too much, and I don't bother with the higher level training activities as I want them to shorten the time it takes to complete each activity, rather than drastically increase them.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
anecorbie on Jan 27, 2021 wrote:
Never do it the wizard way.
1. "Takes less time" I can't believe you said that. It takes less time in P101 because we don't have to dedicate the time we're on-line to training a single pet. I don't have to be on-line for my pet to be training, set it to training and I can leave or quest. Repititious, mind-numbing games over and over sucks all the fun out of getting a pet. I barely have a few adult pets in W101 because of that, compared to the dozens of epic pets I have here in P101.

2. "Way easier to get good pets" That's why W101 installed the Hatching Kiosk, we don't have that (not yet) Finding a player with a good pet to morph with would be easier if a) we had more active players or b) a Morphing Kiosk.
I have had no problems getting a good pet or even a great one.
3. "Having to wait", You're not playing 24/7, set a pet training and go to sleep, in the morning your pet will be done and ready for the next session.
it absolutely takes less time to make a pet on wiz compared to pirate. any max level wizard has access to ghultures or kalamar raiders which drop couch potatoes about one every 5-10 runs, on average most people i come across (myself included) will have anywhere between 1-20 couch potatoes fully questing through a character. you aren't supposed to be using the wiz minigames to train your pets in general, they added a skip option after 'winning' the game 25 times for a reason, and if you aren't using mega snacks you aren't going to be getting an accurately good pet in good fashion or time.

yes... I don't play 24/7. I have a fulltime job and cannot afford to play that long, I still should not have to wait a week to max a pet. Ignoring the awful rng system that factors into getting good pets, it takes on average about a full day to hit a pet to 30 (2 talents, 1 power), then takes about 1-2 more days to hit 40 (2 talents 2 powers) then gets worse and worse as it levels. If you want to wait over a week to fully max a pet, that is fine, but I would rather have it work like Wiz so I can immediately know if my pet is worth keeping or worth trashing.

because, i find the method that takes 2 hours to be way more effective for pet training, than the method that takes a week to go from 60-70.

@takethis it's a really awful way to do something in the late game. I'm glad pets aren't as essential in pirate (for questing/pve purposes) compared to wiz, or else it'd be really bad

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
caleb10104 on Feb 3, 2021 wrote:
it absolutely takes less time to make a pet on wiz compared to pirate. any max level wizard has access to ghultures or kalamar raiders which drop couch potatoes about one every 5-10 runs, on average most people i come across (myself included) will have anywhere between 1-20 couch potatoes fully questing through a character. you aren't supposed to be using the wiz minigames to train your pets in general, they added a skip option after 'winning' the game 25 times for a reason, and if you aren't using mega snacks you aren't going to be getting an accurately good pet in good fashion or time.

yes... I don't play 24/7. I have a fulltime job and cannot afford to play that long, I still should not have to wait a week to max a pet. Ignoring the awful rng system that factors into getting good pets, it takes on average about a full day to hit a pet to 30 (2 talents, 1 power), then takes about 1-2 more days to hit 40 (2 talents 2 powers) then gets worse and worse as it levels. If you want to wait over a week to fully max a pet, that is fine, but I would rather have it work like Wiz so I can immediately know if my pet is worth keeping or worth trashing.

because, i find the method that takes 2 hours to be way more effective for pet training, than the method that takes a week to go from 60-70.

@takethis it's a really awful way to do something in the late game. I'm glad pets aren't as essential in pirate (for questing/pve purposes) compared to wiz, or else it'd be really bad
If you train every time a new pet's activities complete you might be able to get it to adult in around a full day, otherwise it will take two to three days, which is how long it takes normal active players to reach adult. The problem is that after level 30 the timers become way too long and it takes more experience per pet level to reach the next one. Now when you get a pet past around level 60, it now takes eight hours to complete the fastest return time quests, so if you are like a regular normal person, you sleep around eight hours per night, which would mean to train it twice in a day it will require you to wake up a bit early or go to bed a bit later unless you train the instant you wake up and immediately before sleep, and even then the training time shall be exceeding 8 hours as the pet continues to level up.

Currently pet and player max levels are at level 70, but I'd like to believe that there will be future worlds and higher levels, and hopefully instead of unlocking new pet talents we will be unlocking pet gem slots instead, but the point is the more levels that come out the longer the current pet system will take in training time and points needed for each additional level.

It takes weeks to train a pet to level 70, and it will fail most of the time, and if you play quite a lot it is faster to take a pirate from level 1 to 70 than it is to train a pet from 1 to 70 unless you are spending a lot of crowns to rush the process.

Food isn't the issue. Sending out companions on pet quests returns food enough, and food is where most of the pet training points comes from. The problem is the time of pet task completion, and the higher level area pet quests take longer than the skull island pet tasks, so most will opt for the quicker return time and just feed them. Again, food isn't the problem.

Now when you do reach a pet to max level, the pets power might be a good 50 points or so below maxing out. If you want to then max out the pets power level, well better figure on spending the next couple months doing so.

Keep in mind all of this effort are for pets which have an incredibly low chance of messing up on talents upon completion.

So unless you are spending tons of crowns, you literally have to log in about every time a pets activities comes due. There is no que that allows you to set up multiple orders along with which foods to use upon each pet activity completion. It would be nice to simply be able to set up pet tasks and food to be fed to automatically take place upon the completion of each activity without having to log in or run back to a particular pirate to do so.

Which brings up the next point. Most players have multiple pirates, and train lots of pets at a time. This means a lot of switching to different pirates, lots of logging in, and so on.

Lastly, I have never once said Pirates101 should use Wizard101's pet training system, nor that Pirates system is worse than Wizards. Forcing everyone to play mini games to train each and every pet was ridiculous. I could care less about Wizard101, I'm writing about Pirate101 and not Wizard101.