Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Bedrest Mechanic has no place in this game

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2012
I wanted to give my thoughts as this game is near and dear to my heart as an old player.

I decided to get back into pirate101 to give it a try, even though the last time I played this game was years ago I always kept an eye out for a word on the next book update. I've since accepted KingsIsle handled this IP poorly and probably won't receive another book but wanted to give it a shot.

I decided to do the rooke dungeon, as Marleybone in pirate101 is some of the best storytelling out of all of KingsIsle's IPs, and I crashed (lol). I logged back on, all my companions were dead and I would have to pay gold to revive them.

This mechanic doesn't belong in the game, as you can see from my situation I am punished by said mechanic for a crash (not my PC's fault considering it runs every other game fine). Even at this game's conception, the life fountains revived your companions instantly, wanna know why? Because who wants to stand around and wait 9 hours for bonnie anne to be usable.

If you want to make this game for friendly for players and see this game return, bedrest has to go.

Lieutenant
Mar 18, 2022
CaptainJack74011 on Dec 5, 2022 wrote:
I wanted to give my thoughts as this game is near and dear to my heart as an old player.

I decided to get back into pirate101 to give it a try, even though the last time I played this game was years ago I always kept an eye out for a word on the next book update. I've since accepted KingsIsle handled this IP poorly and probably won't receive another book but wanted to give it a shot.

I decided to do the rooke dungeon, as Marleybone in pirate101 is some of the best storytelling out of all of KingsIsle's IPs, and I crashed (lol). I logged back on, all my companions were dead and I would have to pay gold to revive them.

This mechanic doesn't belong in the game, as you can see from my situation I am punished by said mechanic for a crash (not my PC's fault considering it runs every other game fine). Even at this game's conception, the life fountains revived your companions instantly, wanna know why? Because who wants to stand around and wait 9 hours for bonnie anne to be usable.

If you want to make this game for friendly for players and see this game return, bedrest has to go.
Sorry you crashed!

Having to wait for your favorite companions to come back can be rough - have you tried making builds around other companions? The bedrest mechanic partially exists to help encourage players to explore the dozens of other companions in the game.

Ensign
Jan 11, 2013
It's important to note that back when bedrest wasn't a thing, companions were randomly selected. Pre-bedrest was balanced by companions being randomly selected, so you couldn't just use whatever 3 you wanted to and easily win. The game would be far too easy now that you can choose what companions you bring into battle if bedrest were removed.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Look at it this way - there has to be some challenge/difficulty to overcome or players would complain that the game is far too easy.

If you have not trained up and learned how to play as Captain to your "lesser" companions, you haven't really experienced much of the game. Part of leveling up as your pirate is to bring up your team to face the new tactics that they'll be facing. Bonnie Anne isn't always the best companion for the battle.

The reason Life Fountains don't heal your crew anymore is because too many players saw no downside to benching everyone except their favorite three companions. Kingsisle designers back in the day worked really hard to create and populate our crews with a variety of abilities. Isn't it time to embrace them? If you don't think so, then Miracle Mitch will become a good friend.