Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateer: Best route?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 16, 2012
Ahoy, there! I'm trying to figure out the best route for a privateer, However, I don't know which route to use. I have four layouts that I found many pros and cons in, and I will describe a brief description of each one fallowed by a short pros and cons list at the end. If you can, please let me know if I should chose a layout, make a layout better, or completely ignore them and use one that you suggest to me. Here we go!

Option 1, The Assistant: Privateers are, according to the game, born leaders and command their allies via assistance. This would mean that the character would have to use buff abilities such as Juju, Calm the Troops, Wind Spirit, etc. to boost an ally's agility, strength, and/or will (which boosts their attack power.) This, however, does come at the cost of being selfless and makes your own character not attack very good

Pros: Causes allies to become stronger
Cons: Causes your own attack power to decrease

Option 2 , The Tank: Tanks are fighters that can be attacked and revive little (if any) damage. These fighters always rush and use melee weapons and tactics without worrying about being defeated. Though, the Tank is a good character for this character, it has no team benefits whatsoever and relies strictly on defense.
Pros: Provides massive amounts of resistance/health/defense, The user will not be easily defeated.
Cons: Lack of offense and power, Keeps enemies in an inconsistent pattern, Lowers moment range, causes the user to become more like a buccaneer

Option 3, The Sorcerer: While being a privateer, many attacks and buffs rely on (magical units) to attack. This means that the character must use a set-up that is high in the "will" unit. Powers such as Gunnery and Rouse are absolute power houses (pun not intended) and are more stronger than some of the strongest spells in the game at their base form. Though, this may improve spells and healing, it will lower physical attacks. It will also nullify talents that are crucial to the character.
Pros: Increase spell power, Increases healing power, Magic powers are deadly
Cons: Lowers physical attack power, Causes some talents to become redundant, Causes the user to become more like a witchdoctor

Option 4, The Slasher: This option relies strictly on talents (as opposed to option 3, which focuses more on powers.) Talents gained from the Privateer class consist of Slashy Weapons, Elusive, and Light Armor. This means that the character will have to use these to their advantage of dodging and blocking whist trying to deal as much damage as possible. This does come at the cost of taking a hit and losing a large amount of health, though, which can cause the character to be defeated quickly.
Pros: Causes the user to attack in very large amounts, Takes advantage of talents.
Cons: Can be defeated quickly, Causes to user to become more like a swashbuckler.

In summary, I am trying to make my privateer use all of their abilities, however, they all must be separate. There are four main categories of abilities: Buffing the team whilst losing attack power, Taking as little damage as possible while still being less powerful than anticipated, Using heavy amounts of magical power and healing (which causes talents to be redundant,) and Using large amounts of physical strength (which renders magical powers as being weak and useless.) I ask for your opinion on which option I should chose (if any option is adequate)

Thank You for reading and/or replying

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
oh dear me, you missed a role, THE HYBRID DAMAGE DEALER

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
LILMANII on Jun 17, 2020 wrote:
Ahoy, there! I'm trying to figure out the best route for a privateer, However, I don't know which route to use. I have four layouts that I found many pros and cons in, and I will describe a brief description of each one fallowed by a short pros and cons list at the end. If you can, please let me know if I should chose a layout, make a layout better, or completely ignore them and use one that you suggest to me. Here we go!

Option 1, The Assistant: Privateers are, according to the game, born leaders and command their allies via assistance. This would mean that the character would have to use buff abilities such as Juju, Calm the Troops, Wind Spirit, etc. to boost an ally's agility, strength, and/or will (which boosts their attack power.) This, however, does come at the cost of being selfless and makes your own character not attack very good

Pros: Causes allies to become stronger
Cons: Causes your own attack power to decrease

Option 2 , The Tank: Tanks are fighters that can be attacked and revive little (if any) damage. These fighters always rush and use melee weapons and tactics without worrying about being defeated. Though, the Tank is a good character for this character, it has no team benefits whatsoever and relies strictly on defense.
Pros: Provides massive amounts of resistance/health/defense, The user will not be easily defeated.
Cons: Lack of offense and power, Keeps enemies in an inconsistent pattern, Lowers moment range, causes the user to become more like a buccaneer

Option 3, The Sorcerer: While being a privateer, many attacks and buffs rely on (magical units) to attack. This means that the character must use a set-up that is high in the "will" unit. Powers such as Gunnery and Rouse are absolute power houses (pun not intended) and are more stronger than some of the strongest spells in the game at their base form. Though, this may improve spells and healing, it will lower physical attacks. It will also nullify talents that are crucial to the character.
Pros: Increase spell power, Increases healing power, Magic powers are deadly
Cons: Lowers physical attack power, Causes some talents to become redundant, Causes the user to become more like a witchdoctor

Option 4, The Slasher: This option relies strictly on talents (as opposed to option 3, which focuses more on powers.) Talents gained from the Privateer class consist of Slashy Weapons, Elusive, and Light Armor. This means that the character will have to use these to their advantage of dodging and blocking whist trying to deal as much damage as possible. This does come at the cost of taking a hit and losing a large amount of health, though, which can cause the character to be defeated quickly.
Pros: Causes the user to attack in very large amounts, Takes advantage of talents.
Cons: Can be defeated quickly, Causes to user to become more like a swashbuckler.

In summary, I am trying to make my privateer use all of their abilities, however, they all must be separate. There are four main categories of abilities: Buffing the team whilst losing attack power, Taking as little damage as possible while still being less powerful than anticipated, Using heavy amounts of magical power and healing (which causes talents to be redundant,) and Using large amounts of physical strength (which renders magical powers as being weak and useless.) I ask for your opinion on which option I should chose (if any option is adequate)

Thank You for reading and/or replying
Shooty Staffy privy!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Carry a few different sets of gear and swap in and out of roles as needed, and you might find a blend that works well for you. Privateer is one of the more versatile classes in terms of their freely trained powers and what they can easily pick up. I prefer to play more support-oriented roles on mine and leave the smashing and bashing to my companions or teammates; my actual pirate doesn't do a significant amount of damage in PvE battles as I've put her into a tanky support role and I find it works rather nicely for PvE.

Everything changes if you're talking PvP, though, and I'm far from an expert there.