Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Bob's Your Uncle Promotion Quest

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 20, 2021
This quest is extremely difficult, the enemies always get critical hits on me even when I use buffs, heal them etc.

Why are the enemies so hard to beat without losing my crew to them and having to either wait HOURS for them to rest or spend gold to revive them from Mitch. Is there anyway to make this quest any easier or does it have to be done entirely solo? I am can't stand these enemies being overpowered. Can this quest please be nerfed to be easier!?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
GaianCommander on Sep 30, 2021 wrote:
This quest is extremely difficult, the enemies always get critical hits on me even when I use buffs, heal them etc.

Why are the enemies so hard to beat without losing my crew to them and having to either wait HOURS for them to rest or spend gold to revive them from Mitch. Is there anyway to make this quest any easier or does it have to be done entirely solo? I am can't stand these enemies being overpowered. Can this quest please be nerfed to be easier!?
It is a very challenging quest and since it's a solo promo quest, even more of a challenge than smuggler's, Moo tower or Kane

To make this quest easier, get yourself and all your crew (that you choose to use) up to level 70. I usually encourage players to do a promo quest as soon as you get it, however, the extreme nature of this quest really does require level 70 crew.
If your Presideo companion is defeated during the quest don't despair! Just continue and give shields or buffs (and if all else fails) move him to the back. When you turn in the quest (talking in the tavern cellar) his wounds will vanish! No sense wasting that gold to revive him only to have him wounded again!
Good Luck to you!

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009

First off - this promotion quest has kicked a lot of pirates to the curb, forcing us to learn new skills and strategies to help us with it, and teach us that the final area enemies will have these same abilities.

Don't worry about losing your crew. Your crew is much larger than you realize, and some of the companions you have always thought to be beneath you are going to succeed where your favorites are failing. @anecorbie is correct, though, you will need to train them all up to Level 70. Also - if you haven't done the side quests where you can gain additional companions, go do those as well so you have more options.

The enemies aren't overpowered, you are finally facing creatures that were balanced for us by Ratbeard himself to give us a challenge. They just have the ranks of talents and abilities that are available to us and our crew at this same level.

Miracle Mitch isn't doing you any favors by healing your failing crew. If they aren't Level 70, switch their Bed Rest task to Brawlin' so they get some xp while they're down. Learn to adapt and overcome and you'll feel great about it. You can do it!

Ensign
May 20, 2021
Halloween Chick on Oct 7, 2021 wrote:
First off - this promotion quest has kicked a lot of pirates to the curb, forcing us to learn new skills and strategies to help us with it, and teach us that the final area enemies will have these same abilities.

Don't worry about losing your crew. Your crew is much larger than you realize, and some of the companions you have always thought to be beneath you are going to succeed where your favorites are failing. @anecorbie is correct, though, you will need to train them all up to Level 70. Also - if you haven't done the side quests where you can gain additional companions, go do those as well so you have more options.

The enemies aren't overpowered, you are finally facing creatures that were balanced for us by Ratbeard himself to give us a challenge. They just have the ranks of talents and abilities that are available to us and our crew at this same level.

Miracle Mitch isn't doing you any favors by healing your failing crew. If they aren't Level 70, switch their Bed Rest task to Brawlin' so they get some xp while they're down. Learn to adapt and overcome and you'll feel great about it. You can do it!

Well, I gotta say that is very evil and extremely cleaver by Ratbeard. Gonna take both of these tips to heart when I have to do this quest on my swashbuckler. And I already know first strike 3 ruins fog if you do try to attack someone with.

But, I still have not done this quest for my witchdoctor and my most used companions are max level except for my crab companion from the Presidio. But hopefully I don't run into much trouble and I do every single side quest I can do as I progress through the storyline. Hopefully things don't get bad when I do this on swashbuckler. But that is far from happening since I only just got to Santo Pollo Skyway on my swashbuckler. Either way, that quest rewarded me well with me getting two items that could be dropped from Kane in the last fight. Let's hope that happens again for my swashbuckler.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020

These enemies are scaled exactly the same as VA2 mobs.

It is completely manageable to solo through everything without losing comps every fight if you know what you're doing. Musket can just use scratch and use bombs until they win. Witch can use scratch/gracie and mojo storm until they win. Privy is Privy, oh and scratch scales their damage pretty high up too. Bucklers can use scratch and poison spam until everyone is dead. Buck can just utilize this thing called Hold the Line 3 and El Toro and kill everything.

Yes, having to rely on a set team each time to get through something can be boring- but that's how a meta works. Old Scratch is the best companion in the game for a reason, you might as well use him before they figure out Mojo Flow killed any resemblance of balancing in the game.

I prefer the difficulty here and wish it was harder without having to resort to using inferior companions, personally.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
GaianCommander on Oct 12, 2021 wrote:
Well, I gotta say that is very evil and extremely cleaver by Ratbeard. Gonna take both of these tips to heart when I have to do this quest on my swashbuckler. And I already know first strike 3 ruins fog if you do try to attack someone with.

But, I still have not done this quest for my witchdoctor and my most used companions are max level except for my crab companion from the Presidio. But hopefully I don't run into much trouble and I do every single side quest I can do as I progress through the storyline. Hopefully things don't get bad when I do this on swashbuckler. But that is far from happening since I only just got to Santo Pollo Skyway on my swashbuckler. Either way, that quest rewarded me well with me getting two items that could be dropped from Kane in the last fight. Let's hope that happens again for my swashbuckler.
Captain Hande and his crew (except the wharf rat squirt) don't have first strike3. Neither do the musketeer foxes or buccaneer cat thugs in Finnegan's house.
Even if going against other Swashes use fog to add all shields and buffs you can, think defensively.
In fact, think defensively for all classes, make them come to you.
I trained my witchdoctor in musketeer powers - overwatch & burst fire. Equip a staffy shooty that boosts will: there are quite a few in the bazaar. If you can. try to get the nefarious orb of death(?) from the Ashes of the Armada pack. It helps, makes my witchdoctor very deadly.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
caleb10104 on Oct 14, 2021 wrote:
These enemies are scaled exactly the same as VA2 mobs.

It is completely manageable to solo through everything without losing comps every fight if you know what you're doing. Musket can just use scratch and use bombs until they win. Witch can use scratch/gracie and mojo storm until they win. Privy is Privy, oh and scratch scales their damage pretty high up too. Bucklers can use scratch and poison spam until everyone is dead. Buck can just utilize this thing called Hold the Line 3 and El Toro and kill everything.

Yes, having to rely on a set team each time to get through something can be boring- but that's how a meta works. Old Scratch is the best companion in the game for a reason, you might as well use him before they figure out Mojo Flow killed any resemblance of balancing in the game.

I prefer the difficulty here and wish it was harder without having to resort to using inferior companions, personally.
I completely disagree that "a set team... is how a meta works". I have my setting to First Mate, I know for a fact that some posters here have theirs set on Random. And yet we do very well, even not losing a single companion (even with Nurse Quinn).
Why? Are we better equipped, with better trained companions? Or is it the fact that we're prepared for different strategies, because we don't depend on 3 "best" companions and one set strategy?
Open up your mind for learning all your companions strengths and you won't have to depend on a "meta".

Ensign
Sep 25, 2021
anecorbie on Oct 16, 2021 wrote:
I completely disagree that "a set team... is how a meta works". I have my setting to First Mate, I know for a fact that some posters here have theirs set on Random. And yet we do very well, even not losing a single companion (even with Nurse Quinn).
Why? Are we better equipped, with better trained companions? Or is it the fact that we're prepared for different strategies, because we don't depend on 3 "best" companions and one set strategy?
Open up your mind for learning all your companions strengths and you won't have to depend on a "meta".
"I have my setting to First Mate, I know for a fact that some posters here have theirs set on Random. And yet we do very well, even not losing a single companion (even with Nurse Quinn)."

What sample size is even being used to test this? One fight? Anyone, using a meta team or random team would have to get very, very lucky to play through VA2 without losing a single companion. That's how RNG works. You get an unlucky chain on your end, and you lose a unit. Any buckler unit crits an assassin, you'll probably lose that unit.

I see no issue in telling players struggling with VA2 to utilize better companions with better strategies to help them when they're struggling, which is what it looked like to me, was what Caleb was trying to say.

"having to rely on a set team for each battle can be boring-" which I agree with him on, for first time players or those struggling, they shouldn't try and make a fight harder on themselves. Let that come later with more experience in the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Koga111 on Oct 20, 2021 wrote:
"I have my setting to First Mate, I know for a fact that some posters here have theirs set on Random. And yet we do very well, even not losing a single companion (even with Nurse Quinn)."

What sample size is even being used to test this? One fight? Anyone, using a meta team or random team would have to get very, very lucky to play through VA2 without losing a single companion. That's how RNG works. You get an unlucky chain on your end, and you lose a unit. Any buckler unit crits an assassin, you'll probably lose that unit.

I see no issue in telling players struggling with VA2 to utilize better companions with better strategies to help them when they're struggling, which is what it looked like to me, was what Caleb was trying to say.

"having to rely on a set team for each battle can be boring-" which I agree with him on, for first time players or those struggling, they shouldn't try and make a fight harder on themselves. Let that come later with more experience in the game.
Let's see now, small sample? Would a player with 9 year's of experience (and 3 accounts and making new pirates constantly on two of them) so, that's well above 20 pirates of different classes and differently equipped, be enough of a sample for you? (From just me, not to mention the others on the message boards?)

I did VA2 at level 65 and got to the Duomo at level 67. I did the presideo promotion at level 67, also. Now I'm doing all of VA2 at level 70, yes and not often losing a companion. (Even Quarry Cave or Trigante Cellars, which is hardest for bucklers used to hide and charge.) However, I can go into Crusher's Lair and do it solo and come out without losing a companion.
The thing is, players using an In Order set up are constantly coming here and complaining about losing companions, want Miracle Mitch to be cheaper, or doing completely away with Advanced Companions.
Caleb was rather flip about Old Scratch as "best" for all classes; well, he's not (in my very experienced opinion) poisons and bleeds don't stack, you see and many of the battle boards during this promo are small (several very small) and Old Scratch for muskets, buckler & buck isn't optimal. You'll just lose him in the first round charge.
Fact is P101 PvE is stuck in a mindless rut.