Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Random Question About Armada Masks

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 04, 2013
One of the things I love the most about this game are the little details and references.
I noticed that Kane's Court all have different style Venetian Masks for faces.

Some of them are very easy to place but others are more difficult.

Deacon has the white mouth-less Bauta Mask.

Bishop has the long hollow beak of Plague Doctor Mask.

Kane has whole face and decorated design of the Volto Mask.

'The Queen' appears to have a Colombina Half-Mask on a baton.

Phule's mask is shaped like the old man Pantalone Mask but the mismatched colors and his outfit also resembles the Arlecchino comedy mask.

The only one I can't seem to place is Rooke. The bottom half looks like a white mouth-less Bauta Mask but the top half is covered with a half mask that makes it look like Colombina.

I know this is a long shot. But has anyone on this board studied Venetian Masks enough to recognize which one Rooke is wearing? I'm kind of neurotic so its driving me crazy that I can't put my finger on it. Any help on this random matter would be greatly appreciated.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
J0HNS1LVER on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:
One of the things I love the most about this game are the little details and references.

Phule's mask is shaped like the old man Pantalone Mask but the mismatched colors and his outfit also resembles the Arlecchino comedy mask.

The only one I can't seem to place is Rooke. The bottom half looks like a white mouth-less Bauta Mask but the top half is covered with a half mask that makes it look like Colombina.

I know this is a long shot. But has anyone on this board studied Venetian Masks enough to recognize which one Rooke is wearing? I'm kind of neurotic so its driving me crazy that I can't put my finger on it. Any help on this random matter would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Message Boards, Johns1lver! I know nothing about Venetian Carnival masks, but I do know something about the Commedia Del' Arte ( a form of pantomime theater ) and the Elites seem to reflect the stock characters from a Commedia play:
Phule ( as you pointed out ) represents Arlechino/Harlequin.
Deacon as Braghela ( the roguish servant )
Bishop as Dottore ( the quack doctor )
Queen as Columbina ( the shrewish woman. Seems to fit her, eh? )
Rooke as Capitano ( the bragging soldier )
Kane as Pierrot ( sorry about the spelling. As the youthful hero. )

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
anecorbie on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:
Welcome to the Message Boards, Johns1lver! I know nothing about Venetian Carnival masks, but I do know something about the Commedia Del' Arte ( a form of pantomime theater ) and the Elites seem to reflect the stock characters from a Commedia play:
Phule ( as you pointed out ) represents Arlechino/Harlequin.
Deacon as Braghela ( the roguish servant )
Bishop as Dottore ( the quack doctor )
Queen as Columbina ( the shrewish woman. Seems to fit her, eh? )
Rooke as Capitano ( the bragging soldier )
Kane as Pierrot ( sorry about the spelling. As the youthful hero. )
Brilliant.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
J0HNS1LVER on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:

Your post has inspired me to do some quick research of Carnival Masks - and I wonder if you've noticed that Queen seems to be wearing a Moretta under her Columbina?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
On thinking it over, there is another Commedia character that Phule may represent - Punchinello ( or Punch if you're from Britain. )

Ensign
Jul 04, 2013
Thanks for putting so much effort into this.

The personalities of the Elite may match the Commedia Dell'Arte. (Although, I'm not sure I'd match Kane to Pierrot "the Sad Clown".) The actual appearance of the masks are a lot closer to the Carnival of Venice Masks .

When you compare the Bauta, Medico del Peste and Volto masks with the faces of Deacon, Bishop and Kane... they match exactly. Phule might just be a mishmash of all different commedia masks. But his face looks specifically like the Pantalone but the costume clearly looks like it represents something else.

I think you're right about the Moretta Mask under the Queen's Colombina. And since Moretta means "Dark One" that doesn't bode well for the ongoing Pirate101 story if/when it picks up after "The End?". We should probably warn people...

The reason I'm getting really into this is because I'm working on a fanfic that is eventually going to incorporate Pirate101 into it. It's going to be a crossover so I want to be able to perfectly describe Kane's Court to someone that's never played this game before.

I've already played through the Pirate101 storyline as a Swashbuckler while my girlfriend played as a Privateer. So now I'm working my way through as a Musketeer, Buccaneer and Witchdoctor. I want to be able to see all the characters, side quests and special class events so I know the best ones to include.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
J0HNS1LVER on Dec 9, 2016 wrote:

The personalities of the Elite may match the Commedia Dell'Arte. (Although, I'm not sure I'd match Kane to Pierrot "the Sad Clown".) The actual appearance of the masks are a lot closer to the Carnival of Venice Masks .

When you compare the Bauta, Medico del Peste and Volto masks with the faces of Deacon, Bishop and Kane... they match exactly. Phule might just be a mishmash of all different commedia masks. But his face looks specifically like the Pantalone but the costume clearly looks like it represents something else.

I think you're right about the Moretta Mask under the Queen's Colombina. And since Moretta means "Dark One" that doesn't bode well for the ongoing Pirate101 story if/when it picks up after "The End?". We should probably warn people...

The reason I'm getting really into this is because I'm working on a fanfic that is eventually going to incorporate Pirate101 into it. It's going to be a crossover so I want to be able to perfectly describe Kane's Court to someone that's never played this game before.

I've already played through the Pirate101 storyline as a Swashbuckler while my girlfriend played as a Privateer. So now I'm working my way through as a Musketeer, Buccaneer and Witchdoctor. I want to be able to see all the characters, side quests and special class events so I know the best ones to include.
Lol, I thought Pierrot was the "youthful hero", who Harlequin aids in thwarting the plans of Pantalone to marry Pierrette "the maiden".
I enjoyed reading your opening post. Good luck with that fanfic!

Lieutenant
May 07, 2009
J0HNS1LVER on Dec 9, 2016 wrote:

What is the fic going to be about and what's it going to crossover with?

Ensign
Jul 04, 2013
anecorbie on Dec 9, 2016 wrote:
Lol, I thought Pierrot was the "youthful hero", who Harlequin aids in thwarting the plans of Pantalone to marry Pierrette "the maiden".
I enjoyed reading your opening post. Good luck with that fanfic!
Perhaps we're talking about different plays?

I'm not expert on this. That's why I came on here in the hopes of finding more background info. My knowledge comes from basic research via google, wikipedia and looking through loads of pictures. When I searched for Commedia Dell'Art Pierrot is listed by status as "sad clown" and his costume is described as "white, flowery with large buttons."

That version didn't really scream 'main villain'. But perhaps it comes across differently in a specific play?

Ensign
Jul 04, 2013
Dogsrock5656 on Dec 9, 2016 wrote:
What is the fic going to be about and what's it going to crossover with?
I don't mean to hijack this thread but since you asked I'll give you a quick description.

The fic is a crossover with One Piece. You've probably heard of it. It's one of the most popular animes in the world. I'm combining aspects of my two favorite fantasy pirate-based worlds together. From the looks of things it's going to be the first of its kind. The main characters are going to be Luffy's brother Sabo and Bonnie Anne.

It's not a full crossover yet. Right now I'm working on the One Piece side of the story. So for now Bonnie Anne is the only Pirate101 character in the One Piece world. Although most people don't know it yet because she's currently stuck inside her rifle due to being an unfortunate guinea pig for Bishop's first experiment at inter-dimensional travel. (I figure that's something he'd do. He's already tinkering with portals to move people through the Spiral. The next logical step would be making one that will travel BEYOND the Spiral.)

Eventually, I'm going to get to the One Piece time skip. At that point I'm going to flip the situation and Sabo is going to be the only One Piece character in Pirate101. If you're interested, the story is called Brother on Board. I'm currently in the middle of the arc where I'm going to do my big 'Bonnie Anne reveal'. I'm not going to post any links since that's against the rules. But my penname is J0HNS1LVER so it shouldn't be too hard the story.

Lieutenant
May 07, 2009
J0HNS1LVER on Dec 10, 2016 wrote:
I don't mean to hijack this thread but since you asked I'll give you a quick description.

The fic is a crossover with One Piece. You've probably heard of it. It's one of the most popular animes in the world. I'm combining aspects of my two favorite fantasy pirate-based worlds together. From the looks of things it's going to be the first of its kind. The main characters are going to be Luffy's brother Sabo and Bonnie Anne.

It's not a full crossover yet. Right now I'm working on the One Piece side of the story. So for now Bonnie Anne is the only Pirate101 character in the One Piece world. Although most people don't know it yet because she's currently stuck inside her rifle due to being an unfortunate guinea pig for Bishop's first experiment at inter-dimensional travel. (I figure that's something he'd do. He's already tinkering with portals to move people through the Spiral. The next logical step would be making one that will travel BEYOND the Spiral.)

Eventually, I'm going to get to the One Piece time skip. At that point I'm going to flip the situation and Sabo is going to be the only One Piece character in Pirate101. If you're interested, the story is called Brother on Board. I'm currently in the middle of the arc where I'm going to do my big 'Bonnie Anne reveal'. I'm not going to post any links since that's against the rules. But my penname is J0HNS1LVER so it shouldn't be too hard the story.
That sounds really cool! I'll have to give it a look.

Ensign
Jul 04, 2013
Dogsrock5656 on Dec 12, 2016 wrote:
That sounds really cool! I'll have to give it a look.
Thanks!

I saw your review this morning. I'm glad you like it so far.

I'm interested in hearing the perspective of someone that comes to the story from the Pirate101 side. But anyone reading it should beware the hard T rating. Also, I tend to skim over some of the things that I don't think are essential to the plot. But if anything confuses you, please feel free to let me know and I'll get you sorted out. When I started writing I assumed that everyone reading a One Piece fanfic would know the basics of One Piece canon so I wouldn't have to spend an inordinate amount of time regurgitating every minuscule detail from canon.

I think that One Piece and Pirate101 share a common 'Anything Can Happen Here' vibe that I absolutely love when I'm reading/watching/playing anything that's fantasy based. It's my hope that the crossover aspect of the story will bring some One Piece fans over to Pirate101. I hope that they'll be as smitten with this amazing game as I am.