Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

each world is based of a real country

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 23, 2011
I am quite in depth with geography, and I have seemed to notice a pattern with the worlds...

Skull Island- probably just based off some pirate treasure island. But judging from the water moles it's probably somewhere tropical like Tahiti or Hawaii. A Polynesian island at best guess, yet narrowed down to the tropical ones.

Monquista- quite obviously Spain ( because of the accents )

Cool Ranch- America. The bisons are the natives and Santo Pollo is Mexico. Because Mexico is a part of America

Marleybone- UK. It has Irish and English accents. Not to mention the Big Ben and so many London landmarks on wizard101

Aquila- Ancient Greece. It has the same mythology and everything. Much like Avalon on wizard101 which is based on the author stories.

But here is something that really stumps me. Mexico used to be where the ancient Aztecs lived until Spain invaded. And we have plenty of Aztec ruins and destinations including el dorado. But shouldn't the ruins be in Santo Pollo if so? ( because it is based off Mexico ) also, instead of horses, shouldn't we have monkeys at Santo Pollo because they are ' Spanish '

Then again there is the reason that the Aztecs were somewhat near these tropical places like Skull Island. And that could very easily be what the case is.

Please let me know what you think ( esp. If you're a geography nerd such as myself )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
PandaBubs101 on Jan 7, 2017 wrote:
I am quite in depth with geography, and I have seemed to notice a pattern with the worlds...

Skull Island- probably just based off some pirate treasure island. But judging from the water moles it's probably somewhere tropical like Tahiti or Hawaii. A Polynesian island at best guess, yet narrowed down to the tropical ones.

Cool Ranch- America. The bisons are the natives and Santo Pollo is Mexico. Because Mexico is a part of America

Marleybone- UK. It has Irish and English accents. Not to mention the Big Ben and so many London landmarks on wizard101

Aquila- Ancient Greece. It has the same mythology and everything. Much like Avalon on wizard101 which is based on the author stories.

But here is something that really stumps me. Mexico used to be where the ancient Aztecs lived until Spain invaded. And we have plenty of Aztec ruins and destinations including el dorado. But shouldn't the ruins be in Santo Pollo if so? ( because it is based off Mexico ) also, instead of horses, shouldn't we have monkeys at Santo Pollo because they are ' Spanish '

Then again there is the reason that the Aztecs were somewhat near these tropical places like Skull Island. And that could very easily be what the case is.

Please let me know what you think ( esp. If you're a geography nerd such as myself )
Not so much a geography nerd as an history/cultural one.
All the worlds are actually a mixture of cultures which KI creators used to make the Spiral.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Your right on the money with most of those

Skull Island is in the Carribeans and we know this because of Port Regal (Royal)

Monquista is indeed Spain but it does have a bit of Italy

Valencia is obviously Italy which I will discuss later

Cool Ranch is indeed what you said

I believe Marleybone is supposed to be just England

Aquila is Ancient Greece but like Monquista it has a dash of Italy, Samocles the gladiator companion quite easily proves this

KI doesn't pride themselves on their geography and they don't always make it realistic, Calabria skyway in Valencia isn't geographically accurate either so you have to just shrug it off

Lastly welcome to the message boards!

Lieutenant
Oct 26, 2013
i may not be a history and geography nerd, but when i started playing wiz a long time ago it was a main source for any geography i knew.
also... mooshu is asia
and skull island is europe and america pirate era

Ensign
Nov 23, 2011
Oh, I also forgot to mention that Mooshu is based off Japan. I could write a whole paragraph on why, but nah.

Ensign
Mar 16, 2012

Valencia is also based off Spain as Valencia is a city there

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
PandaBubs101 on Jan 10, 2017 wrote:
Oh, I also forgot to mention that Mooshu is based off Japan. I could write a whole paragraph on why, but nah.
Japan and China ( & a tiny bit of Korea as well. )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
phoenixorix on Jan 10, 2017 wrote:
Valencia is also based off Spain as Valencia is a city there
Italian Renaissance Italy had parts of their country under the rule of Spain and France. Even though Valencia is in Spain it doesn't make the game's Valencia Spanish - look at the names and architecture, completely Italy influenced.
If you're looking for Spain, then Monquista is the place that represents it.

Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
Mooshu may be largely based of of historic Japan but, it also has many influences from other Asian countries. (Mainly China)

Ensign
Nov 23, 2011
Obviously it isn't completely based off real history and I have came to the conclusion that judging by gortez' back story and the Zadoks cave quest, that skull island used to be a part of Azteca

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Regarding Cool Ranch, and the lack of the Aztecan like culture/ruins.
For a while, Mexico controlled both California, and Texas, This would be the reason for Spanish styled regions of Cool Ranch, those areas are not the Spiral version of Mexico, but are more the Spiral version of Spanish controlled Texas and California.

The Aztec and Mayan civilizations were further south. The Aztec Empire was found more in what would be called central to southern Mexico today, at the narrowest part between the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific Ocean.
The Mayans, occupied from southeastern Mexico into the northern portions of Central America, where Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, and El Salvador are today.

As for Skull Island, I'm pretty sure the entire collection of Islands is a huge mash up of all the Pacific islands that together form Oceania, with the Caribbean tossed in. The Water Moles seem much more Polynesian in culture and style. Or at least I see more Polynesian influence in the Water Moles than Island Carib influence.
But, with the inclusion of Port Royal, the Skull Island archipelago clearly has some Jamaican and Haitian influence. (so why no Polarians?)

(Island Carib were the indigenous people of the Caribbean Islands, somewhat similar but mostly separate from the Mainland Carib, or the Karina people)

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2011
Not all worlds are based off a country. While the majority of the spiral is supposed to be geologically identical to the real world, a proportion of the game is based on fantasies (Like Avalon = King Arthur Lore). Here are some Additional worlds not in Pirate101 but was mentioned!

Darkmoor: Tough to Argue, we can say it's a combination of Lousiana (Because of its rich Hoodoo roots) and Transylvania because in Wizard101 there was a dungeon full of vampires, zombies, and werewolves.

Mirage: Definitely the Arabian areas due to the Arabian theme in it. There are Genies and Cat people and thieves of all sorts (OOOhhh! It would be EPIC if we pirates go to Mirage right now for the lost treasure of the sands. We could have a genie companion!)

Zafaria: Africa with a mix of India in the Elephant territory (I could be wrong about the elephants)

Polaris: Combination of France and Russia (based in the Artic)

Krokotopica: Stand alone Egpyt (So big it have to be its own world!)

Dragonspyre: Fallen Militarize Pompeii

Grizzleheim: Nordic Territories

Non-Worlds but Territories (And confirmed locations)

Rajah: It's based off of India no doubt. During the British Victorian Era, England had control over India and set up colonies there. So this was considered natural (and confirmed that Marleybone is Victorian england)

Albion: A territory part of Marleybone. It's Irland, and according to our human history, some of the Irish civilians have been in conflict with England for they wanted independence. Most however resorted to violence.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2011
On the related note, if your curious why certain worlds have these different influences, it would be interesting to know some of my theories as to how they became the way they are now based on historical evidence.

Santa Pollo: In American History, a good proportion of the United States used to be own by Mexico. So Naturally when Cool Ranch was established, the residence there must have bought the Santa Pollo area from Monquistians who colonized there. But by the time that happened the Spanish influence remained strong.

Valencia/Wysteria => Aquilia: This is a crazy theory, but I based it upon game lore and facts. According to the lore, the earliest sea explorers of the spiral were Aquilians and Grizzleheim Vikings. I willing to bet based upon the architectural style that both Wysteria and Valencia display is because of those Vultures. They might have been a proud race until all of them were driven out of their homes. Half of them became pirates, the other half explored the spiral for a new home. I willing to bet that those vultures founded Valencia, and later Wysteria as a sister world. This Theory is only supportive of Valencia's history since the vultures have an Italian accent.

Albion: Again, referring back to the early explorers. In the past Vikings had founded Irland as one of their territories. The same can be said in-game. Vikings must have discovered Albion and planted their cultural roots there mixed with Celtic lore. This is supported by the Grizzleheim pet trainer who appears to be wearing a kilt.

....And there you have it (So far). There were other mentioned worlds we never heard of or I left out cause they meant nothing pirate wise. I hope my claims are accurate!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
winter goddess on Feb 3, 2017 wrote:
On the related note, if your curious why certain worlds have these different influences, it would be interesting to know some of my theories as to how they became the way they are now based on historical evidence.

Santa Pollo: In American History, a good proportion of the United States used to be own by Mexico. So Naturally when Cool Ranch was established, the residence there must have bought the Santa Pollo area from Monquistians who colonized there. But by the time that happened the Spanish influence remained strong.

Valencia/Wysteria => Aquilia: This is a crazy theory, but I based it upon game lore and facts. According to the lore, the earliest sea explorers of the spiral were Aquilians and Grizzleheim Vikings. I willing to bet based upon the architectural style that both Wysteria and Valencia display is because of those Vultures. They might have been a proud race until all of them were driven out of their homes. Half of them became pirates, the other half explored the spiral for a new home. I willing to bet that those vultures founded Valencia, and later Wysteria as a sister world. This Theory is only supportive of Valencia's history since the vultures have an Italian accent.

Albion: Again, referring back to the early explorers. In the past Vikings had founded Irland as one of their territories. The same can be said in-game. Vikings must have discovered Albion and planted their cultural roots there mixed with Celtic lore. This is supported by the Grizzleheim pet trainer who appears to be wearing a kilt.

....And there you have it (So far). There were other mentioned worlds we never heard of or I left out cause they meant nothing pirate wise. I hope my claims are accurate!
Wysteria definitely has an Italian feel to it's architecture.
The Grizzleheim pet trainer ( Bjorn Bjornstein ) isn't wearing a kilt, it's a tunic - BUT the Beastmaster pack companions are wearing kilts.
Ireland was invaded by Vikings, who also settled there ( around the Dublin area ).

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
winter goddess on Feb 3, 2017 wrote:
Not all worlds are based off a country. While the majority of the spiral is supposed to be geologically identical to the real world, a proportion of the game is based on fantasies (Like Avalon = King Arthur Lore). Here are some Additional worlds not in Pirate101 but was mentioned!

Darkmoor: Tough to Argue, we can say it's a combination of Lousiana (Because of its rich Hoodoo roots) and Transylvania because in Wizard101 there was a dungeon full of vampires, zombies, and werewolves.

Mirage: Definitely the Arabian areas due to the Arabian theme in it. There are Genies and Cat people and thieves of all sorts (OOOhhh! It would be EPIC if we pirates go to Mirage right now for the lost treasure of the sands. We could have a genie companion!)

Zafaria: Africa with a mix of India in the Elephant territory (I could be wrong about the elephants)

Polaris: Combination of France and Russia (based in the Artic)

Krokotopica: Stand alone Egpyt (So big it have to be its own world!)

Dragonspyre: Fallen Militarize Pompeii

Grizzleheim: Nordic Territories

Non-Worlds but Territories (And confirmed locations)

Rajah: It's based off of India no doubt. During the British Victorian Era, England had control over India and set up colonies there. So this was considered natural (and confirmed that Marleybone is Victorian england)

Albion: A territory part of Marleybone. It's Irland, and according to our human history, some of the Irish civilians have been in conflict with England for they wanted independence. Most however resorted to violence.
Albion is a skyway of Marleybone.
But, I would say it is based more on Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Each of those three countries have at times strongly resented being controlled by England. While the Dogs of Marleybone are clearly English, (although the Scottish breeds might be Lowlanders) The Foxes are the Spiral equivalent to the Scottish. There was even a political movement during the Industrial Revolution in Scotland, of which the members were referred to as The Radicals. The Cats seem to represent the Irish, and I'm assuming that the Frogs represent the Welsh.

Albion is also the oldest known name for the island of Great Britain (Scotland, Wales, and England combined) and a few of the early Celtic names for Scotland were related to Albion, example, Alba or Albain. However, Scotland on its own also went by the name of Caledonia, which was the Latin name for Scotland used by the Romans.

(Interesting side note;Canada was almost named New Albion or Albionoria)

Ensign
Jan 05, 2014
i thought this was obvious though? just me? ok then. but therefore i do agree with your list :P

Sensitive Joshua Radcliffe-Level 65

Daring James Iveson-Level 46

Ensign
Mar 10, 2013
I think i may much more history and geography than most kids my age, but i noticed many many things copied from real life. For example "monquistadors" are a monkey version of conquistadors. Gortez and even balboa are game versions of Hernan Cortez and goronado from Francisco vasquez de coronado. Moo Manshu is a game version of Fu manshu.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
I believe cool ranch Is western united states, with the timeframe being when Mexico occupied some of the western lands, they make a reference to the Alamo in the privateer's level 25 quest, with the easy phrase "remember the arroyo" suppose to reference the Alamo easy, but that's what I believe. Plus Santa Rana is Santa Anna, and he led was the dictator of Mexico, I believe for some time.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013

Skull Island: I always thought it was just the Caribbeans, but I noticed there's a dash of Oceania in there too (the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Australia).

Monquista: Definitely Spain.

Valencia: Definitely Renaissance Italy. Parodies are here with Florenza (Florence, Italy).

Cool Ranch: I was just thinking about this earlier before looking upon this post. Cool Ranch is western California during the Wild West (to make things easier for you, think of the Zorro [trumpet sounds] time in the Mask of Zorro [trumpet sounds] by Disney [trumpet sounds; yes, for Disney]) and parts of Mexico as well, as they were trying to keep California under their control, and America was trying to take California from them - in the nicest way possible, of course.

MooShu: MooShu is Asia; definitely a mix of China, Japan and Korea.

Marleybone: Of course it's England, silly! You can definitely tell by the inhabitants' accents, and of course the way it's set up. The parodies just keep on coming, don't they? The Big Ben and even Barkeley (Berkeley), Westminster and much, much more!

Aquila: Aquila's going to have to be ancient Greece. The way everything is themed looks definitely like Greece with maybe a dash of Italy. I used to think: "Italy? That's Valencia!" But when I noticed how the amphitheaters look, I can't help but notice Italy's fine architecture.

I'll post some more, but I'm running out of characters!

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 9 Musketeer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Helpful Aurora Par... on May 10, 2017 wrote:
Skull Island: I always thought it was just the Caribbeans, but I noticed there's a dash of Oceania in there too (the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Australia).

Monquista: Definitely Spain.

Valencia: Definitely Renaissance Italy. Parodies are here with Florenza (Florence, Italy).

Cool Ranch: I was just thinking about this earlier before looking upon this post. Cool Ranch is western California during the Wild West (to make things easier for you, think of the Zorro [trumpet sounds] time in the Mask of Zorro [trumpet sounds] by Disney [trumpet sounds; yes, for Disney]) and parts of Mexico as well, as they were trying to keep California under their control, and America was trying to take California from them - in the nicest way possible, of course.

MooShu: MooShu is Asia; definitely a mix of China, Japan and Korea.

Marleybone: Of course it's England, silly! You can definitely tell by the inhabitants' accents, and of course the way it's set up. The parodies just keep on coming, don't they? The Big Ben and even Barkeley (Berkeley), Westminster and much, much more!

Aquila: Aquila's going to have to be ancient Greece. The way everything is themed looks definitely like Greece with maybe a dash of Italy. I used to think: "Italy? That's Valencia!" But when I noticed how the amphitheaters look, I can't help but notice Italy's fine architecture.

I'll post some more, but I'm running out of characters!

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 9 Musketeer
Aquila is a mix of both Greek and Roman cultures. You have Ulysses/Odysseus and the Trojan War, then you have gladiators, Latinized names and an Emperor.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
I'm afraid I have little to add anything directly related, but I can give a theory somewhat related.

I think it's common knowledge at this point that Marleybone is thoroughly inspired by Victorian England. Around this time, Scotland was at its highest resentment for their conquerors. The Act of Proscription in 1746 is a well-known piece of British history in which the kilt was banned (I suppose this is a good time to mention I won't be giving any personal opinions; I'll keep my politics to m'self.). The reason behind it was that the Scottish, more specifically, Scots native to the Highlands, used it as a form of protest. This was among many attempts to eradicate any pride left in the Scottish by King George II.

Twenty-two years after his death in 1760, the act was repealed. This didn't mean the kilt was used again, though. Throughout the rest of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the Scottish were deeply afraid of wearing the kilt for fear of discrimination. Although there are no reported incidents of discrimination, the fear was still prominent. Victorian England, an era that lasted from 1837 to 1901, was part of this age of deep fear for showing pride.

Have you ever wondered why Ms. Bonnie Anne wears a kilt while few foxes in Marleybone do? Because she has nothing to fear; and she shouldn't have anything to fear. She lives on Skull Island now, a place where she can show her Albion pride all she wants. Perhaps this is the reason she's one of the few who wears one (if I recall, a few Radicals wear it as well). Hopefully this served either interesting or relevant to the topic at all!

Oh, and also, the tigers on The Isle of Fetch are very clearly KI's version of Bombay grenadiers. Again, I hope this proved interesting if not directly related!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
EviTheEccentric on May 27, 2017 wrote:
I'm afraid I have little to add anything directly related, but I can give a theory somewhat related.

I think it's common knowledge at this point that Marleybone is thoroughly inspired by Victorian England. Around this time, Scotland was at its highest resentment for their conquerors. The Act of Proscription in 1746 is a well-known piece of British history in which the kilt was banned (I suppose this is a good time to mention I won't be giving any personal opinions; I'll keep my politics to m'self.). The reason behind it was that the Scottish, more specifically, Scots native to the Highlands, used it as a form of protest. This was among many attempts to eradicate any pride left in the Scottish by King George II.

Twenty-two years after his death in 1760, the act was repealed. This didn't mean the kilt was used again, though. Throughout the rest of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the Scottish were deeply afraid of wearing the kilt for fear of discrimination. Although there are no reported incidents of discrimination, the fear was still prominent. Victorian England, an era that lasted from 1837 to 1901, was part of this age of deep fear for showing pride.

Have you ever wondered why Ms. Bonnie Anne wears a kilt while few foxes in Marleybone do? Because she has nothing to fear; and she shouldn't have anything to fear. She lives on Skull Island now, a place where she can show her Albion pride all she wants. Perhaps this is the reason she's one of the few who wears one (if I recall, a few Radicals wear it as well). Hopefully this served either interesting or relevant to the topic at all!

Oh, and also, the tigers on The Isle of Fetch are very clearly KI's version of Bombay grenadiers. Again, I hope this proved interesting if not directly related!
Thank you for that interesting post ( at least I found it interesting )

Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
anecorbie on May 28, 2017 wrote:
Thank you for that interesting post ( at least I found it interesting )
Britain has a long history that's well worth looking into and I'd be happy to tell a bit more in the future when it's a good time to do so.

Ensign
Sep 07, 2015
Huh, It does make some sense...

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
SealPupExtraordina... on Jun 3, 2017 wrote:
Huh, It does make some sense...
Welcome to the Message Boards, SealPupExtraordinaire!