Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Guys Bring Pirate101 back alive

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
I just joined pirate, I've watched BlazeLifeHammer's walkthroughs on it. I'm LVL 13 currently and I've been enjoying it.

~Loyal Evelyn Everhart 13

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Amber hawksong on Feb 8, 2017 wrote:
I just joined pirate, I've watched BlazeLifeHammer's walkthroughs on it. I'm LVL 13 currently and I've been enjoying it.

~Loyal Evelyn Everhart 13
Welcome to the message boards, Loyal Evelyn! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game, now tell your friends!

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
I'm new to pirate101 (not wiz tho), the way I joined was that my mom accidentally got the wrong membership and I was fine with it. I've watched BlazeLifeHammer's WitchDoctor walkthrough and I'm currently watching his Swashbuckler walk. I do find it sad that not many play, the highest I've seen the Avery realm is "Normal". I can always be found on Avery though, as I'm stuck at home for reasons I wish not to speak of.

~Evelyn Everhart 33

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
Oops I just realized I already posted here >.>

Ensign
Nov 14, 2009
Ik that advertising is pretty expensive but seems necessary and in the end would literally pay off. Having players recruiting ppl is a very minor way for them to gain players. Also seems like a cop out for ki.(Just saying) If they seriously want this game to be as strong of a game as wiz THEY have to push that marketing themselves instead of forcing it on the player. I just don't see any other way around it. Do tv ads, billboards, ads on websites, do Facebook ads lol oh and push more ads and content in the gamer mags. KI needs to push that advertising in other areas besides ONLY their freekigames site, because that seems a bit redundant. We're getting back on track with the regular updates it seems, but we do need that advertising and marketing to be kicked up a notch or two. I miss seeing the commercials on tv, haven't seen them in what seems like forever.

Community Leader
diviner interventi... on Mar 16, 2017 wrote:
Ik that advertising is pretty expensive but seems necessary and in the end would literally pay off. Having players recruiting ppl is a very minor way for them to gain players. Also seems like a cop out for ki.(Just saying) If they seriously want this game to be as strong of a game as wiz THEY have to push that marketing themselves instead of forcing it on the player. I just don't see any other way around it. Do tv ads, billboards, ads on websites, do Facebook ads lol oh and push more ads and content in the gamer mags. KI needs to push that advertising in other areas besides ONLY their freekigames site, because that seems a bit redundant. We're getting back on track with the regular updates it seems, but we do need that advertising and marketing to be kicked up a notch or two. I miss seeing the commercials on tv, haven't seen them in what seems like forever.
I wholeheartedly agree. A majority of KI's avid and active pirate players that have a strong desire to save it are from an older age demographic, whether that be high school, college, or adult. Often times these peoples' peers are unwilling or unable to play the game. Recruiting a new group of pirate fans should be a necessity. Grassroots recruiting is not as effective when attempting to sell the game to older generations, and thus, KI should reach out on their own through advertisements on tv or apps. We want to make sure this game exists for years to come, but we can't recruit people alone.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/videos

Advertizing was attempted in June of 2013, four years ago. A lot of money was spent.

It did not produce the additional players they had hoped for.

I don't see where advertizing now would do anything different,

UNLESS

They advertise heavily after the release of the latest Pirates Of The Caribbean film on May 26th.

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
Too bad not many wiztubers are playing pirate, I asked AwesomeTheSauce about his opinion on Pirate101, he doesn't seem to know too much about pirate but he stated he likes the pvp machinics. If more wiztubers played pirate, maybe it would draw in more players, that's partially why I joined (my mom by accidentally got Pirate101 membership instead of wizard membership).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Amber hawksong on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
Too bad not many wiztubers are playing pirate, I asked AwesomeTheSauce about his opinion on Pirate101, he doesn't seem to know too much about pirate but he stated he likes the pvp machinics. If more wiztubers played pirate, maybe it would draw in more players, that's partially why I joined (my mom by accidentally got Pirate101 membership instead of wizard membership).
Give that Mom a YARRRR! So glad you stuck around and became one of us.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Amber hawksong on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
There are no accidents, then are no coincidences - you were meant to be a Pirate!!!!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Pirate101 is such a great game. I've been playing since beta and I will continue to play for as long as the game is around. I talk the game up to people and have bought bundles and membership for several players and we have two memberships in my household. I don't watch tv much, but I hope KI has some commercials still airing, because I know that once people try the game, they will love it. I know people like 'free to play' stuff, but parting with a few bucks now and then would help. I have probably spent at least $3,000 on this game since it began lol.

Ensign
Jun 11, 2016
Golden Dino Webb on Jan 19, 2017 wrote:
Hey i have not played in like three or four months but when i came back everything was empty...i was told people stopped playing because more in game stuff came more than updates but guys learn that this company has more than pirate101 they have wizard101 which is already so much to handle you guys just need to be patient and please if your one of my friends in the game please come back to me.

From Golden Dino Web lvl 66
I thought the game was still doing pretty well, nor have I been informed otherwise. I'd guess it's still doing pretty well, though it isn't like I'm a Kingsisle sales associate. But in my opinion, it isn't dead.

Ensign
Jun 24, 2013
Pirate101 is a great game! I wish others would find and play. It doesn't get the attention Wizard101 does and having had 3 maxxed wizards I found I liked Pirate101 more!

Anyway, I agree about keeping it alive, it is loads of fun, funnier and more interesting, imo, than Wizard!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
Getting new players is a problem

1) People like new updates / So i am supposed to get people to play huh / "yea come play this cool game / but oh yea it has only had one storyline update in the last 4 years / so you will only be able to play for a couple months / get maxed out then have nothing to do.

2) What ever happen to the Television ads that KI used to have / they dont even bother with doing them for wizard anymore. If They are not going to advertise, why should I?

Lieutenant
Jan 20, 2013
Krigleblort on Apr 13, 2017 wrote:

1) People like new updates / So i am supposed to get people to play huh / "yea come play this cool game / but oh yea it has only had one storyline update in the last 4 years / so you will only be able to play for a couple months / get maxed out then have nothing to do.

2) What ever happen to the Television ads that KI used to have / they dont even bother with doing them for wizard anymore. If They are not going to advertise, why should I?
I think if the TV ads were successful, encouraging new players to join, and making a payoff, they'd still be airing. If something isn't working, KingsIsle will not continue to throw money in that direction.

KingsIsle can only put into Pirate101 what they get out of it. It's a cycle and a partnership between the game and its players. Therefore, the "they are not going to advertise, so why should I?" mentality is actually just shooting the game in the foot. Like I mentioned earlier, I think KingsIsle would still be airing commercials if they were successful. I don't think it's that they don't want to run ads, I think it's that it financially wouldn't make sense for them to do so. If on top of that, you don't advertise Pirate101 ... does that not just further hurt the game in the long run?

I don't think word of mouth is the strongest way to gain a player base, but it's better than nothing.

~Virtuous Vanessa

Once a super fan, now a KingsIsle QA Tester! I squash bugs.
~
_~ )_)_~
)_))_))_)
_!__!__!_
\______t/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I've been running into some newer players, including one looking for help in Avery's Court. My max buck was not dressed to look obviously high level. I helped him with some quests in Cool Ranch to get Rooster Cogburn. It seems he had been having fun questing with other friends of similar level UNTIL... a max level "helped" his friends to speed level them and their quests up. Since then, guess who treated him like a noob they had no time for. He wanted to do his quests the regular way and earn his way up, is how he described it. He didn't want to miss stuff, but to run the game as it was written. Yes, Cool Ranch was dragging for him a bit, but he didn't want to cheat his way past it. Still, his friends were trying to persuade him to let them help speed level him. They also didn't bother with side quests. I imagine his friends will soon be joining the max level bored ones. Maybe then they will try some side quests and discover, gasp, they are too easy when they are maxed, side questing Monquista.
How many max pirates, when they give help to low levels, go in and kill all the enemy in a round or two? How many use their other powers to heal, buff, and maybe have their crew destroy a few rocks? Are they helping or doing it for them? Food for thought. Is the goal of pirate to finish the game as fast as possible, so you can be the wonder pirate how has every piece of rare gear, and quits the game because there is nothing left? Doubt any company could program new stuff fast enough to satisfy, if that's the case. Are you grinding or having fun?
I like to take the time to enjoy these worlds, and the company of fellow jolly pirates. I also had fun yesterday in the pet arena, which I hadn't done in a long time. Just wanted to get you thinking about being the kind of pirate you would have liked to run into when you first started the game. I do think there is room for grinders that speed level people, and helpful joking pirates. KI has limits and needs time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

Why you should advertise: To keep this game alive, it needs new players. As Vanessa states very pointedly; if advertising was working for KingsIsle, they would be doing it ( are they even advertising Wizard101 anymore on TV? )
There are positive ways to encourage people to play without saying how disappointed you are in lack of updates - tell them about pets or pvp, if they have those interests.
Plug the fact that this game appeals to all ages and is safe to play with family.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Apr 13, 2017 wrote:
I've been running into some newer players, including one looking for help in Avery's Court. My max buck was not dressed to look obviously high level. I helped him with some quests in Cool Ranch to get Rooster Cogburn. It seems he had been having fun questing with other friends of similar level UNTIL... a max level "helped" his friends to speed level them and their quests up. Since then, guess who treated him like a noob they had no time for. He wanted to do his quests the regular way and earn his way up, is how he described it. He didn't want to miss stuff, but to run the game as it was written. Yes, Cool Ranch was dragging for him a bit, but he didn't want to cheat his way past it. Still, his friends were trying to persuade him to let them help speed level him. They also didn't bother with side quests. I imagine his friends will soon be joining the max level bored ones. Maybe then they will try some side quests and discover, gasp, they are too easy when they are maxed, side questing Monquista.
How many max pirates, when they give help to low levels, go in and kill all the enemy in a round or two? How many use their other powers to heal, buff, and maybe have their crew destroy a few rocks? Are they helping or doing it for them? Food for thought. Is the goal of pirate to finish the game as fast as possible, so you can be the wonder pirate how has every piece of rare gear, and quits the game because there is nothing left? Doubt any company could program new stuff fast enough to satisfy, if that's the case. Are you grinding or having fun?
I like to take the time to enjoy these worlds, and the company of fellow jolly pirates. I also had fun yesterday in the pet arena, which I hadn't done in a long time. Just wanted to get you thinking about being the kind of pirate you would have liked to run into when you first started the game. I do think there is room for grinders that speed level people, and helpful joking pirates. KI has limits and needs time.
How I help a lower level pirate ( as an example I'll use what happened to me ).
I was on my Witchdoctor, Silver Isis, when a musketeer approached me and asked for help fighting the Prawns in the Caldera ( Seems she was defeated every time. )
Well I friended her and we went in, I went first so I could buff her with Juju and used mostly ranged companions.
I let her do most of the hitting but my crew played "clean-up".
I then noticed that she was equipped with a slashy/stabby combo. I asked her if she minded some advice, to which she said she was very anxious for some.
I told her that although that weapon was powerful, she was giving up her shooting powers and to look for those weapons that were best suited for her.
We finished the dungeon and, although I never see her now, I'm sure she's been a great success.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
Hi everyone! I used to be very active in the message boards, not sure if anyone would or has recognized me, but it's nice to see some people still around that I recognize.

I have been gone and stopped playing p101 due to the lack of story updates... I originally played w101 and I had gone back to that. However, as soon as I heard about Valencia Part II, I came back and told my grandfather that I sometimes play the game with. I missed that type of bonding.

I really love p101 and always have, even when I was gone; I had always planned to come back and I was keeping tabs on it. I was really worried about how many employees were laid off. And honestly, I'm also worried how I know that Blind Mew has said that there was originally more books planned, but wanted a clean slate. I'm worried because all those years of hard work, a lot of time and money, just basically went down the drain...

It has been a few years and I am in college now, but it's not like I've been studying business and marketing. However, I kind of understand and I have some brief knowledge about advertising based on some volunteer work. I've just been really concerned how the p101 team has been doing because it hasn't really looked too good to me, even though there are some signs of improvement.

I still have hope, of course, for it to get more popular again. I think these concerns are valid. Yes, I think it would be helpful if the players where to spread the word, but I think that KI would also have to at least meet us halfway. It would be good if it was promoted more.

That being said, I plan to check out more of their live streams. I've only seen only one so far, but I do want to help p101 as much as I can.

Lieutenant
Jan 20, 2013
435Snow Owl on Apr 14, 2017 wrote:
Hi everyone! I used to be very active in the message boards, not sure if anyone would or has recognized me, but it's nice to see some people still around that I recognize.

I have been gone and stopped playing p101 due to the lack of story updates... I originally played w101 and I had gone back to that. However, as soon as I heard about Valencia Part II, I came back and told my grandfather that I sometimes play the game with. I missed that type of bonding.

I really love p101 and always have, even when I was gone; I had always planned to come back and I was keeping tabs on it. I was really worried about how many employees were laid off. And honestly, I'm also worried how I know that Blind Mew has said that there was originally more books planned, but wanted a clean slate. I'm worried because all those years of hard work, a lot of time and money, just basically went down the drain...

It has been a few years and I am in college now, but it's not like I've been studying business and marketing. However, I kind of understand and I have some brief knowledge about advertising based on some volunteer work. I've just been really concerned how the p101 team has been doing because it hasn't really looked too good to me, even though there are some signs of improvement.

I still have hope, of course, for it to get more popular again. I think these concerns are valid. Yes, I think it would be helpful if the players where to spread the word, but I think that KI would also have to at least meet us halfway. It would be good if it was promoted more.

That being said, I plan to check out more of their live streams. I've only seen only one so far, but I do want to help p101 as much as I can.
I definitely agree that more promotion would be ideal, I just don't think TV ads are the right route (given that they've already tried that). Like many others have mentioned, promoting it alongside the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie would be pretty cool. However, striking any kind of deal with Disney would be costly.

Perhaps more coverage on gaming sites outside of the KI community would be beneficial?

~Virtuous Vanessa

Once a super fan, now a KingsIsle QA Tester! I squash bugs.
~
_~ )_)_~
)_))_))_)
_!__!__!_
\______t/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Vanessa Mythdust on Apr 14, 2017 wrote:
I definitely agree that more promotion would be ideal, I just don't think TV ads are the right route (given that they've already tried that). Like many others have mentioned, promoting it alongside the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie would be pretty cool. However, striking any kind of deal with Disney would be costly.

Perhaps more coverage on gaming sites outside of the KI community would be beneficial?

~Virtuous Vanessa
I first found Wizard from an online add that way. The MMO magazine also helped, cause they seems to get good press from them early on. They never seemed to run loads of tv ads, but I think they made the ones they did run count for more by running them at the beginning of summer vacation, during kids programming. If they do it, I'd expect to see it then. I'm used to seeing a drop off in players when school starts that picks up during school holidays. I have been seeing more people around lately, now that many kids are on break. That's why a number of my postings have to do with putting out the welcome mat, as players.
KI has tried to keep their players happy over the years, and many improvements that were requested did happen, both Wiz and Pirate. It's still a good game, and here's hoping the P of C movie will get people in a piratey mood, ads or no ads.

Ensign
Jan 18, 2013
Calamity Finch on Apr 14, 2017 wrote:
I first found Wizard from an online add that way. The MMO magazine also helped, cause they seems to get good press from them early on. They never seemed to run loads of tv ads, but I think they made the ones they did run count for more by running them at the beginning of summer vacation, during kids programming. If they do it, I'd expect to see it then. I'm used to seeing a drop off in players when school starts that picks up during school holidays. I have been seeing more people around lately, now that many kids are on break. That's why a number of my postings have to do with putting out the welcome mat, as players.
KI has tried to keep their players happy over the years, and many improvements that were requested did happen, both Wiz and Pirate. It's still a good game, and here's hoping the P of C movie will get people in a piratey mood, ads or no ads.
I heard about Pirate101 from Wizard101 but never really looked into it until I saw the picture of Madame Vadima on a website. The artwork was very colorful and so I just had to check out the game...which was a great idea

I definitely noticed a pattern when they were advertising. It only makes sense to do it during student's breaks.
Right now, it's probably spring break for a lot of people and I've seen more activity in both games because of that. It's almost the end of the school year and I'm sure we'll see an even higher amount of players. Not only that, but POTC is coming out near memorial day, which right around the time when kids get out of school. I believe this is a perfect opportunity to start advertising again, whether it be in magazines, on tv, or on websites. I would suggest social media--Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook...maybe even advertise on Youtube (though I'm not sure how expensive it will be), but sooo many people use it!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012

If P101 were to get a lot of new players, yes, there would be a new world added. New worlds do not bring in new players, they keep existing ones.

Let's hope they do some advertizing around the release of Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
Calamity Finch on Apr 14, 2017 wrote:
I found wizard from a tv ad, the Wintertusk one back in 2011.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 13, 2017 wrote:
How I help a lower level pirate ( as an example I'll use what happened to me ).
I was on my Witchdoctor, Silver Isis, when a musketeer approached me and asked for help fighting the Prawns in the Caldera ( Seems she was defeated every time. )
Well I friended her and we went in, I went first so I could buff her with Juju and used mostly ranged companions.
I let her do most of the hitting but my crew played "clean-up".
I then noticed that she was equipped with a slashy/stabby combo. I asked her if she minded some advice, to which she said she was very anxious for some.
I told her that although that weapon was powerful, she was giving up her shooting powers and to look for those weapons that were best suited for her.
We finished the dungeon and, although I never see her now, I'm sure she's been a great success.
I also saw a new Musketeer using melee weapons the other day, so I set them on the right path lol. I like it when I see veterans like us helping out new players. One thing I also do, which is a personal choice and not something I would expect others to do, is remind some of those who choose to loiter in Avery Court and bad mouth beginners, that they too were beginners at some point. I know that in every game there are those who just stand around saying 'noob this' and 'noob that' but it irritates me so I usually step in lol.