Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A note about weapons in game.

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I've noticed some topics regarding the stitchablness of certain weapons in game, that made me think of another point about weapons in game. Namely, the aesthetics of stabby weapons used by swashbucklers.

Now, swashbucklers are supposed to be the masters of fencing and sword play, but there are so very few long blade fencing swords available for swashbucklers to use, that are agility based weapons. The majority of agility based "stabby" weapons are various knives and daggers, which is good an all if you're trying to get a cloak and dagger swashbuckler, but not so good if you want an actual master of fencing swashbuckler.

The majority of the swords that should be stabby, agility based weapons are frequently labeled as slashy, and handed over to the privateers. The issue has been solved slightly with the mixed weapons (slashy/stabby) using the players main trait (agility/strength/etc). But I'd still really like to see more single wielding, or sword and dagger weapons sets made for swashbucklers.

How can you call yourself a master of fencing, if all you use are pocket knives?
Also, the phrase "Swashbuckling and swashbuckler' actually come from a style of fencing where the fighters used both a sword and a small shield called a buckler. So why don't swashbucklers even get their namesake weapons?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Feb 8, 2017 wrote:
I've noticed some topics regarding the stitchablness of certain weapons in game, that made me think of another point about weapons in game. Namely, the aesthetics of stabby weapons used by swashbucklers.

Now, swashbucklers are supposed to be the masters of fencing and sword play, but there are so very few long blade fencing swords available for swashbucklers to use, that are agility based weapons. The majority of agility based "stabby" weapons are various knives and daggers, which is good an all if you're trying to get a cloak and dagger swashbuckler, but not so good if you want an actual master of fencing swashbuckler.

The majority of the swords that should be stabby, agility based weapons are frequently labeled as slashy, and handed over to the privateers. The issue has been solved slightly with the mixed weapons (slashy/stabby) using the players main trait (agility/strength/etc). But I'd still really like to see more single wielding, or sword and dagger weapons sets made for swashbucklers.

How can you call yourself a master of fencing, if all you use are pocket knives?
Also, the phrase "Swashbuckling and swashbuckler' actually come from a style of fencing where the fighters used both a sword and a small shield called a buckler. So why don't swashbucklers even get their namesake weapons?
Yar, Scarlet, as someone who has competed in fencing using Renaissance style methods I completely agree with your statement. I have used all kinds of different techniques - single foil or epee ( which, BTW, you never slash with ) or in combo with buckler ( in the old days you were allowed to punch with that shield ), cloak, dagger or a two sword combo known as Florentine.
Swashbucklers need more variety.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
CdeWinter on Feb 8, 2017 wrote:

In this game pirate classes aren't named by what you use to kill aramada droids. Privateer means a pirate paid by a government to attack another country's ships. A buccaneer was a pirate during the 17th century who cooked meat with a boucan. Witchdoctors were healers of tribes who would do rituals and stuff like that but not to fight. Musketeers are the only class that actually weird what the name suggests and even then only half of them use muskets the rest use crossbows or pistols. But anyway you can just stitch one of the single cutlasses from early in the game to a more powerful sword from later on

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirate101 fan on Feb 8, 2017 wrote:
In this game pirate classes aren't named by what you use to kill aramada droids. Privateer means a pirate paid by a government to attack another country's ships. A buccaneer was a pirate during the 17th century who cooked meat with a boucan. Witchdoctors were healers of tribes who would do rituals and stuff like that but not to fight. Musketeers are the only class that actually weird what the name suggests and even then only half of them use muskets the rest use crossbows or pistols. But anyway you can just stitch one of the single cutlasses from early in the game to a more powerful sword from later on
1. Some weapons are unstitchable.
2. A stabby weapon ( bonus from agility ) can't be stitched to a slashy weapon ( bonus from strength ).

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Pirate101 fan on Feb 8, 2017 wrote:
The point isn't about the names of the pirate classess, its about getting the weapons that fit the in game description of the pirate classess.

Musketeers are described as sharpshooters, they get ranges weapons.
Buccanears are described as strong brutes, they get large strong weapons.
Witchdoctors get staves and wands.
Privateers are described as leaders, they get weapons generally associated with ship captains, cutlesses and sabers.
Swashbucklers are described as fencing masters, and they get...knives.

And, yes you can stitch weapons, but I like to use agility based weapons with my swashbuckler, and there are only two long bladed agility based weapons in the game ( NOT counting stabby/slashy) so there isn't enough choice.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
CdeWinter on Feb 9, 2017 wrote:
The point isn't about the names of the pirate classess, its about getting the weapons that fit the in game description of the pirate classess.

Musketeers are described as sharpshooters, they get ranges weapons.
Buccanears are described as strong brutes, they get large strong weapons.
Witchdoctors get staves and wands.
Privateers are described as leaders, they get weapons generally associated with ship captains, cutlesses and sabers.
Swashbucklers are described as fencing masters, and they get...knives.

And, yes you can stitch weapons, but I like to use agility based weapons with my swashbuckler, and there are only two long bladed agility based weapons in the game ( NOT counting stabby/slashy) so there isn't enough choice.
Maybe for swashbuckler they weren't going for dashing hero, and instead they went for a stealthy assassin. They have black fog and knives don't make any sense to have in any other fighting style. They only do more damage so they don't get destroyed by privateers with Valor fort.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirate101 fan on Feb 9, 2017 wrote:
Maybe for swashbuckler they weren't going for dashing hero, and instead they went for a stealthy assassin. They have black fog and knives don't make any sense to have in any other fighting style. They only do more damage so they don't get destroyed by privateers with Valor fort.
If we're not a "dashing hero" type, why is it that Morgan LeFitte calls us "my dashing swashbuckler"? Why are we given the power Gallant Defense if we're just backstabbin' assassins?
"Dashing hero" doesn't describe the other classes, either. ( I may make an exception to Privateer, but they hardly dash into a battle. )
Post Edit: let's look at a few movies - Wesley & Inigo Montoya ( The Princess Bride ), Puss in Boots ( Shrek2 )
any movie with Errol Flynn ( except the Westerns and WWII movies ), Geena Davis ( Cutthroat Island ) & the movie franchise you enjoy most ( Pirates of the Caribbean ), Jack Sparrow.
Now, how would you describe these heroes and what class would you say they are? Aren't they swashbucklers? And most are "dashing" ( with the exception of the scummy Sparrow. ) Oh excuse me - Captain Sparrow.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 10, 2017 wrote:
If we're not a "dashing hero" type, why is it that Morgan LeFitte calls us "my dashing swashbuckler"? Why are we given the power Gallant Defense if we're just backstabbin' assassins?
"Dashing hero" doesn't describe the other classes, either. ( I may make an exception to Privateer, but they hardly dash into a battle. )
Post Edit: let's look at a few movies - Wesley & Inigo Montoya ( The Princess Bride ), Puss in Boots ( Shrek2 )
any movie with Errol Flynn ( except the Westerns and WWII movies ), Geena Davis ( Cutthroat Island ) & the movie franchise you enjoy most ( Pirates of the Caribbean ), Jack Sparrow.
Now, how would you describe these heroes and what class would you say they are? Aren't they swashbucklers? And most are "dashing" ( with the exception of the scummy Sparrow. ) Oh excuse me - Captain Sparrow.
Why are first imprisioned by the Armada for defending a friend's honour in a duel?

The game itself describes swashbucklers as mastera of fencing, not as assassins.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Feb 10, 2017 wrote:
Why are first imprisioned by the Armada for defending a friend's honour in a duel?

The game itself describes swashbucklers as mastera of fencing, not as assassins.
I finally got a shooty/stabby for my alternate buckler from the Haywire Dreadnaught. The best thing about this weapon is that the stabby part of the combo is a cavalry saber!