Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Newb Questions.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 24, 2017
Is there any other way to get a mount other than the crown store ?
Can i increase the size of my inventory ?

Privateer or Buccaneer ? mostly solo with some teamwork without dieing too much. :)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
GhostOfErn on Apr 28, 2017 wrote:

Privateer or Buccaneer ? mostly solo with some teamwork without dieing too much. :)
Welcome, GhostOfErn! At this moment there are two ways to get mounts - direct buy in the Crowns shop ( BTW, there's an awesomely good sale on mounts!) or trying your luck with the Tribal Pack.
You can increase your inventory only by membership, if you already have membership, then the answer is no.
Buccaneer is probably easier for a solo player.
In the early stages of the game privateers usually have a hard time, later on, though, they become very powerful.

Ensign
Apr 19, 2017
I don't know if there is any other way to get Mounts besides the Crown Store (im level 7 lol), but i don't think so.

I would say Buccaneer, since i'm playing as one and i'm doing really good with it.

Ensign
Apr 24, 2017
I've actually answered my own question played buccaneer to lvl 9 had a hard time with a couple of fights and just got a privateer to lvl 10 and it was so easy, so far.

Loving my monkey companion he's awesome.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
There is another way:

I managed to get a Permanent Christmas Pony mount during the 12 Days of the Spiral last December.

Temporary mounts can be purchased with gold or obtained in the gift boxes that are put out during the Pirate101 Birthday celebration in October and during the 12 Days of the Spiral celebration in December. I once gathered enough temporary mounts to last my pirates until May.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
In addition, Moo Manchu will sometimes give you a permanent Ki Rin mount, and at least one update came with a mount (yes, you had to renew your membership or purchase crowns to get it, but the mount itself was no additional cost).

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
GhostOfErn on Apr 28, 2017 wrote:

Hi GhostOfErn, Welcome to the message boards.

There is another way, that's crownless, but it involves grinding the last dungeon, so just try tribal packs is you want one cheap.

I'm unbiased in this opinion, but I personally would say Privy, because depending on what powers you collect, we can be extremely flexible. However, Buccaneers are great at deploying quickly across huge battlefields and tanking. My advice: try one and if you don't like it, try the other. Extra advice: for both of those it's good to train swash skills like Cloaked in Shadow.

Anyhoo, see ya!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Looks like most beat me to it, but I do have some things to add and correct:

You can buy 2-day temporary mounts for 2k gold in Skull Island if you so choose (vendor is next to the Housing vendor). I personally don't recommend this, since you'll burn through a ton of gold very quickly, but it is up to you.

Permanent mounts: ignore the Pack suggestions. Packs are a risk and a gamble, you're not guaranteed to get what you want each time you open a pack. For example: a year or two ago I spend $120 during the 60k Crown Sale on Tribal Packs in hopes of receiving a Scrimshaw Drake (yes I had the money to burn). Out of every single one of those packs: not a single Drake. I did get some mounts, but out of the dozens I got only 2 were Permanent. Now for those who went this route: nothing wrong with it and I'm not shaking my finger at you. I'm simply stating, and showing, why Packs are a risk and should only be invested in if you don't mind said risk. Personally: just buy a permanent mount directly. Especially with the sale going on right now. It's better to spend that little extra bit to get what you want than waste far more on chance.

Buccaneers are frontliners, they're the damage soakers and aggro-ers. Privateers are backline defensive support, which means you personally won't typically be in the thick of the fight unlike Buccs. If you're an aggressie player who likes to charge into battle: go Bucc. If you're more strategic and like to rely on your Companions: go Privateer. All classes are 'newbie' friendly, the only difference is your playstyle vs theirs. For example: Buccs are the hardest class for me. Witchdoctor is my main and easiest class. Others will say otherwise simply because their playstyles are different. Second hardest class for me would have to be Swashbuckler, simply due to the lack of control and AoEs they possess on the battlefield and how easily they're singled-out and shutdown with Powers.

Caw Caw Shhhhhhh!
Mortifer Crow - Captain of The Silent Crows

Ensign
Apr 24, 2017
I'm having a more difficult time with my bucc than my priv he seems to atract all the agro and has almost died/knocked out in the first wave

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Apr 30, 2017 wrote:

You can buy 2-day temporary mounts for 2k gold in Skull Island if you so choose (vendor is next to the Housing vendor). I personally don't recommend this, since you'll burn through a ton of gold very quickly, but it is up to you.

Permanent mounts: ignore the Pack suggestions. Packs are a risk and a gamble, you're not guaranteed to get what you want each time you open a pack. For example: a year or two ago I spend $120 during the 60k Crown Sale on Tribal Packs in hopes of receiving a Scrimshaw Drake (yes I had the money to burn). Out of every single one of those packs: not a single Drake. I did get some mounts, but out of the dozens I got only 2 were Permanent. Now for those who went this route: nothing wrong with it and I'm not shaking my finger at you. I'm simply stating, and showing, why Packs are a risk and should only be invested in if you don't mind said risk. Personally: just buy a permanent mount directly. Especially with the sale going on right now. It's better to spend that little extra bit to get what you want than waste far more on chance.

Buccaneers are frontliners, they're the damage soakers and aggro-ers. Privateers are backline defensive support, which means you personally won't typically be in the thick of the fight unlike Buccs. If you're an aggressie player who likes to charge into battle: go Bucc. If you're more strategic and like to rely on your Companions: go Privateer. All classes are 'newbie' friendly, the only difference is your playstyle vs theirs. For example: Buccs are the hardest class for me. Witchdoctor is my main and easiest class. Others will say otherwise simply because their playstyles are different. Second hardest class for me would have to be Swashbuckler, simply due to the lack of control and AoEs they possess on the battlefield and how easily they're singled-out and shutdown with Powers.

Caw Caw Shhhhhhh!
I logged in for the sole purpose of giving you a yar! A word of caution is always appreciated and sometimes necessary, especially where real money is involved for a gamble at a digital product.

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
GhostOfErn on Apr 30, 2017 wrote:
I'm having a more difficult time with my bucc than my priv he seems to atract all the agro and has almost died/knocked out in the first wave
Privy manages from behind, and Bucc is supposed to attract aggro. Try privy maybe? Shares physical attack, and can do whatever they like pretty much.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Apr 30, 2017 wrote:

Caw Caw Shhhhhhh!
I've had good luck getting a mount within a few packs, as there are 5 different mounts available in this pack the chances are you can find one fairly quickly.
And that's the difference between looking for a single item in a pack or being satisfied with just getting one of a group.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
GhostOfErn on Apr 30, 2017 wrote:
Yep that's Buccs for ya. You're supposed to be the first one to attack and draw all of the aggro, so if you're not careful it's very easy for the entire enemy team to focus you and chain you down. If you prefer Ranged: Muskets are your best bet (going off of how your playstyle appears to be aggressive like mine). If you would prefer Single-target DPS, and one-shotting enemies while your Companions draw aggro, go Swash. Privy's, like I said, are the Healer/Defensive Support class so if you would rather play it chill and sit in the backline casting damage soaking shields on Companions and healing allies while your Companions do all of the work (while having the most Companions out of all of the other classes) then I'd say stick with Privy.

Witchdoctors are, sad to admit, the trickiest class currently. We can fill many roles, such as Ranged DPS, Defensive Support, and we have the ability to buff any Companion effectively thanks to Juju. But we're also extremely reliant on our Powers and have the worst Weapon Power, Dodge and Health in game (or very close to it). In other words: we're very easily one-shotted by practically every class if we're not careful. Hence why I typically classify this class as the backline Aggressive Buff/Debuff Support. You never want to be close to your enemy and you have to use your Powers wisely and sparingly. In other words: it requires the most strategy out of all of the other classes.

That's my rundown for all of the classes, hopefully that helps. In the end, only you can figure out which class fits you best; hence why I'm not saying any are 'best' or 'worst'. They all have their Pros and Cons and skill-requirements. It all just comes down to your personally playstyle.

P.S: if you're still struggling feel free to swing by my stream. My crew and I will be more than happy to help you learn the ropes whilst enjoying the game

Caw Caw Shhhhhh!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
anecorbie on Apr 30, 2017 wrote:
I've had good luck getting a mount within a few packs, as there are 5 different mounts available in this pack the chances are you can find one fairly quickly.
And that's the difference between looking for a single item in a pack or being satisfied with just getting one of a group.
The point was it's still a gamble and not guaranteed. As you said: 'that's the difference between looking for a single item in a pack or being satisfied with just getting one of a group'. Pretty sure the OP is looking for a single item as well. There are also 3 different pets within those packs, and I had dozens of the other two. Case in point: if you're looking for a mount and don't want to risk spending more money than a mount costs trying to get one, just buy the mount directly. My crew and I have always agreed: packs are for those who have crowns and nothing they really need/want. I also said I'm not telling em how to spend his/her money, but like King said it's best to air caution (ESPECIALLY for new players) when money is involved.

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
anecorbie on Apr 28, 2017 wrote:
Welcome, GhostOfErn! At this moment there are two ways to get mounts - direct buy in the Crowns shop ( BTW, there's an awesomely good sale on mounts!) or trying your luck with the Tribal Pack.
You can increase your inventory only by membership, if you already have membership, then the answer is no.
Buccaneer is probably easier for a solo player.
In the early stages of the game privateers usually have a hard time, later on, though, they become very powerful.
I soloed most of pirate101 as a Swashbuckler

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Amber hawksong on May 2, 2017 wrote:
I soloed most of pirate101 as a Swashbuckler
So did I. Only needed help for Hydra & the Great Machine ( although I did solo that one once. ) And of course Moo Manchu & the Pirate's Regatta ( but that's side content. )

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
anecorbie on May 2, 2017 wrote:
So did I. Only needed help for Hydra & the Great Machine ( although I did solo that one once. ) And of course Moo Manchu & the Pirate's Regatta ( but that's side content. )
I'm guessing the Hydra was cuz of the glitch? Not sure if they fixed it yet or not.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Nightblood1995 on May 4, 2017 wrote:
I'm guessing the Hydra was cuz of the glitch? Not sure if they fixed it yet or not.
They keep trying to, but I begin to suspect that glitch is here to stay...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on May 4, 2017 wrote:
Actually, that Hydra was kicking my tushie. It had defeated my entire team and I was down to a forth of my health, fortunately, a friend was on line and answered my call for help.
I've only had the glitch happen once on my musketeer. Even then logging off then logging back on cleared the problem.
That glitch is one beast of a glitch - I propose that the bug hunters that find it and finally squish it get a bonus and a round of applause from all pirates!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Fiorenza Rosanante... on May 5, 2017 wrote:
They keep trying to, but I begin to suspect that glitch is here to stay...
Ah, I gotcha. First time I did the Hydra was on my Swash, wasn't really difficult just time-consuming. When I had to redo it I died on the inside xD

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
anecorbie on May 5, 2017 wrote:
Actually, that Hydra was kicking my tushie. It had defeated my entire team and I was down to a forth of my health, fortunately, a friend was on line and answered my call for help.
I've only had the glitch happen once on my musketeer. Even then logging off then logging back on cleared the problem.
That glitch is one beast of a glitch - I propose that the bug hunters that find it and finally squish it get a bonus and a round of applause from all pirates!
It wouldn't be that big of a problem if we weren't punished with a wounded Companion for fleeing a battle. At least, whenever I flee a battle I usually wind up with one, not sure if that's the same for everyone else but regardless; was it your first time fighting the Hydra? My first time was a bit rough, personally, not knowing what to expect.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on May 6, 2017 wrote:
It wouldn't be that big of a problem if we weren't punished with a wounded Companion for fleeing a battle. At least, whenever I flee a battle I usually wind up with one, not sure if that's the same for everyone else but regardless; was it your first time fighting the Hydra? My first time was a bit rough, personally, not knowing what to expect.
It was my first time, I hadn't reached the then max level of 65 and of course my companions were lagging behind ( BTW this was before Advanced Companions ).
However; to your question about wounded companions; a flee is counted as a defeat, if any of your companions are even a tiny bit wounded, they'll be put on bed rest from the flee.
It also counts a disconnect as a defeat.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
anecorbie on May 6, 2017 wrote:
It was my first time, I hadn't reached the then max level of 65 and of course my companions were lagging behind ( BTW this was before Advanced Companions ).
However; to your question about wounded companions; a flee is counted as a defeat, if any of your companions are even a tiny bit wounded, they'll be put on bed rest from the flee.
It also counts a disconnect as a defeat.
Guess I got lucky with the disconnects, my internet's cut out for five minutes at times and when I come back we're all fine and out of the battle. Unless KI updated the system to better recognize when you've lost connection vs making bad plays. Yeah sadly that's how the flee system works, on Wiz you just lose all health and mana and wind up teleported to whatever 'Commons' of the world you're currently in. But in Wiz you can just use a Potion and get right back into it. Pirate's is a bit too punishing, from my perspective at least. Wiping out our health for fleeing I agree with but putting Companions on Bedrest as well is like fleeing in Wiz while also making your Pet unusable for a certain amount of time. Just feels like a low blow is all.

I had the opposite problem. My first run-through I had my top 3 favorite Companions around 1-2 levels below me rather than the efficient 3 levels. Because of that, the rest of my Companions were never raised and when any of my main 3 went down I was forced to stop questing and either save up for Miracle Mitch or call it a day.

Side question (since you mentioned Advanced Companions, Advanced Pets popped to mind) did KI remove all of the pets from before the Advanced system or am I just a fool that lost his pet? I'm fine with either, and I think I just lost the pet somehow, just want to make sure if you get my drift.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on May 7, 2017 wrote:
Guess I got lucky with the disconnects, my internet's cut out for five minutes at times and when I come back we're all fine and out of the battle. Unless KI updated the system to better recognize when you've lost connection vs making bad plays. Yeah sadly that's how the flee system works, on Wiz you just lose all health and mana and wind up teleported to whatever 'Commons' of the world you're currently in. But in Wiz you can just use a Potion and get right back into it. Pirate's is a bit too punishing, from my perspective at least. Wiping out our health for fleeing I agree with but putting Companions on Bedrest as well is like fleeing in Wiz while also making your Pet unusable for a certain amount of time. Just feels like a low blow is all.

I had the opposite problem. My first run-through I had my top 3 favorite Companions around 1-2 levels below me rather than the efficient 3 levels. Because of that, the rest of my Companions were never raised and when any of my main 3 went down I was forced to stop questing and either save up for Miracle Mitch or call it a day.

Side question (since you mentioned Advanced Companions, Advanced Pets popped to mind) did KI remove all of the pets from before the Advanced system or am I just a fool that lost his pet? I'm fine with either, and I think I just lost the pet somehow, just want to make sure if you get my drift.
When Advanced Pets came in, you got to keep any pet you had ( and I remember that they weren't a housing item at that time ) as well as automatically getting the "Loyal" talent.
You used to be able to buy pets for gold from the Crown Shop, but that stopped with Advanced Pets.
I still have my Coral Widow from that ancient time.....

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hello there GhostOfErn!

Most of your questions have been answered, but I thought I would add something in regards to permanent mounts. You have a few options to acquire them, most of which have already been suggested.

1] Purchase from Crown Shop.

2] Buy Tribal Packs. The bad = rewards are random. The good = the mounts are fairly common and you have a pretty decent of getting one of the five to "drop" from the packs. Also, all of the mounts from the Tribal Pack are permanent. I have received several dozen from the packs -- Ample Ankylosaurs, Jumbles of Jaguars & Plenty of Pumas -- in my successful quest to round up all 5 Dino companions, and all of them have been permanent. So even though there are risks in going for a mount from the packs, at least you know that if you get one, it will be a permanent one...and you may score something even better.

3] Farming. You can also bypass investing money/Crowns to get a permanent mount, and instead invest time....possibly lots of it, via farming. There are several bosses that are known to drop permanent mounts. But for some, you will have to at least have one buddy with you, since those only drop from Group Plunder Chests.

These are known bosses that have a chance to drop mounts. Click on the mount link to go their wiki pages.

Flying Turtle (average speed)

Ch'ai Huluud (LVL 5) - Skull Island/Xol Akmul/Pyramid of Fire
Armada Officer (LVL 15) - Valencia/Armada Fortress
Friar Sand (LVL 40) - MooShu/Temple of the East Wind/North Landing (personally verified)

Batacuda (normal speed)

Tyson (LVL 30) - Cool Ranch/Traveling Medicine Show
Mayor Grim (LVL 33) - Cool Ranch/Miranda
Nefarious 5/Moo Manchu (LVL 65) - Towah of Mooage

Corrupted Ki-Rin (average)

Nefarious 5

Clockwork Wings & Buccaneer Clockwork Steed (very fast & can receive solo)

Kane (LVL 70) - Valencia II/Machine Docks/Machine Control Room (personally verified)

You can try the "dropped route", but you will need a friend to farm with...and lot's of patience.

Good Luck!