Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Some Thoughts on the New Update

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The following is an opinion only.
Captain Avery and the Ambassadors: It's nice that we now have some daily tasks to occupy our time, and the quest to rescue Avery was fun and exciting. The music on the barge is top rate.
The daily quests, however, are BORING, I've finished the 10 repeatable quests and earned the badges - to my dismay there is no change in quests; the Ambassadors are still asking for the same things ( & the next level of badge earned is for 100 runs of the quest ).
I'm not inclined to mindlessly repeat these quests. This isn't at all what we asked for as a daily assignment. Why the devil couldn't KI give us something different to do daily? Or even weekly?
I would love for Captain Avery to give me another assignment.
From the Newsletter: "...a chance to reward you some of the rarest jewelry and totems from around the Spiral", I'm not impressed by these so-called rare items; I received most of these when I was farming Kane or Captain Hande. I imagined that they would be new items, but they're not.
As for the weapon reward vendor, well at least you can stitch these weapons to something else.
Team Up Ledger: This was something we had been asking for for a long while; and when we finally get it, it becomes controversial ( sigh ) Why can't we just enjoy it for what it is? Why should it bother anyone how a player chooses to use the Ledger? It's not that important, what is important is that some players are getting the help they need from the rest of us.
This is what makes the Ledger valuable. This is the best feature of this update, Thank You, KingsIsle.
Emojis: Cute & Fun, I enjoy seeing these little faces flashing across the screen.
Crown Shop Items: Yay! finally got an raised level to my Patch of St. Fido! While I don't care for the Class Boat Mounts - they're well designed and colorful. Maxed level weapons and gear is also part of this update, overall well chosen items, KI.
Ship PVP: Lots of players asked for it, and they got it - in spades! This update proved to me that you should always be careful what you ask for. I'm glad I never wanted to train my guns onto my fellow pirates!
It still needs some work before everyone can enjoy a level field ( sky? ).
That's all I've got to say about this update. I'm looking forward to what KI has planned for us for P101 Fifth Birthday, and future updates to come!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
Have to totally agree with the daily task / and there were no better items from the merchant as well

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I agree about the quests getting repetitious quickly, and it is disappointing that there isn't more variety in them. However, some of the rewards for lower level pirates are well above their level, and could be very useful to an up-and-coming pirate, so that's not all bad - just for maxed level pirates.

I think the Team-up kerfuffle should die down as the community adjusts and those ill-mannered folks who are populating the ledger either accomplish their goals or get bored with the whole thing move on. If they are using their own alternate account to initiate the team-up, that appears to be allowed, but I have zero respect for anyone who enters an instance with no intent to acknowledge the player who is on the quest, or to not help finish the instance. Sabotaging others is worse than ignoring them-- please just leave.

I do wish the boats were just a little smaller. They don't really fit on the paths and make it difficult to see the immediate vicinity, etc. -- but if someday they are to become two-player mounts, that would be awesome for those of us who have purchased them.

Ship PvP -- needs work

Ensign
Oct 14, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 6, 2017 wrote:
The following is an opinion only.
Captain Avery and the Ambassadors: It's nice that we now have some daily tasks to occupy our time, and the quest to rescue Avery was fun and exciting. The music on the barge is top rate.
The daily quests, however, are BORING, I've finished the 10 repeatable quests and earned the badges - to my dismay there is no change in quests; the Ambassadors are still asking for the same things ( & the next level of badge earned is for 100 runs of the quest ).
I'm not inclined to mindlessly repeat these quests. This isn't at all what we asked for as a daily assignment. Why the devil couldn't KI give us something different to do daily? Or even weekly?
I would love for Captain Avery to give me another assignment.
From the Newsletter: "...a chance to reward you some of the rarest jewelry and totems from around the Spiral", I'm not impressed by these so-called rare items; I received most of these when I was farming Kane or Captain Hande. I imagined that they would be new items, but they're not.
As for the weapon reward vendor, well at least you can stitch these weapons to something else.
Team Up Ledger: This was something we had been asking for for a long while; and when we finally get it, it becomes controversial ( sigh ) Why can't we just enjoy it for what it is? Why should it bother anyone how a player chooses to use the Ledger? It's not that important, what is important is that some players are getting the help they need from the rest of us.
This is what makes the Ledger valuable. This is the best feature of this update, Thank You, KingsIsle.
Emojis: Cute & Fun, I enjoy seeing these little faces flashing across the screen.
Crown Shop Items: Yay! finally got an raised level to my Patch of St. Fido! While I don't care for the Class Boat Mounts - they're well designed and colorful. Maxed level weapons and gear is also part of this update, overall well chosen items, KI.
Ship PVP: Lots of players asked for it, and they got it - in spades! This update proved to me that you should always be careful what you ask for. I'm glad I never wanted to train my guns onto my fellow pirates!
It still needs some work before everyone can enjoy a level field ( sky? ).
That's all I've got to say about this update. I'm looking forward to what KI has planned for us for P101 Fifth Birthday, and future updates to come!
I must say I 100% agree with you

Ensign
Jun 06, 2011
Pirate needs another update. Party Barge concept was great and all, but a new world can get these players playing again. I started Pirate101 beginning of September, and it was very fun. Now my swashbuckler is nearing the end of Pirate, and it was great and all, but when I max out my others, it'll be relatively boring. Pirate just needs some attention, it's such a good game. New update is eh, just a little side update imo, I don't think this should be the annual update.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Jacob LotusCaller on Oct 8, 2017 wrote:
Pirate needs another update. Party Barge concept was great and all, but a new world can get these players playing again. I started Pirate101 beginning of September, and it was very fun. Now my swashbuckler is nearing the end of Pirate, and it was great and all, but when I max out my others, it'll be relatively boring. Pirate just needs some attention, it's such a good game. New update is eh, just a little side update imo, I don't think this should be the annual update.
You have a good point, Jacob LotusCaller. Instead of large updates, then making us wait for a year, I think Leah Rubin in the Producer's Letter mentioned we'll be getting more regular updates, but in smaller sizes.
This just to keep us occupied until then.
Also, there's P101's Fifth Birthday coming up! I'm sure there will be something very exciting coming then!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Another reason to not link the badge achievement to exiting the instance is that running back to the exit of a long dungeon is not something we are accustomed to after five years of play.

I'm in the habit of teleporting out, which doesn't give me credit for the assist.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Willowydream on Oct 7, 2017 wrote:
I agree about the quests getting repetitious quickly, and it is disappointing that there isn't more variety in them. However, some of the rewards for lower level pirates are well above their level, and could be very useful to an up-and-coming pirate, so that's not all bad - just for maxed level pirates.

I think the Team-up kerfuffle should die down as the community adjusts and those ill-mannered folks who are populating the ledger either accomplish their goals or get bored with the whole thing move on. If they are using their own alternate account to initiate the team-up, that appears to be allowed, but I have zero respect for anyone who enters an instance with no intent to acknowledge the player who is on the quest, or to not help finish the instance. Sabotaging others is worse than ignoring them-- please just leave.

I do wish the boats were just a little smaller. They don't really fit on the paths and make it difficult to see the immediate vicinity, etc. -- but if someday they are to become two-player mounts, that would be awesome for those of us who have purchased them.

Ship PvP -- needs work
I noticed someone else used the word Kerfuffle in this thread and had to see what was said. Gee, where have I heard those words before? Oh they ARE familiar. Should I feel honored?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Oct 8, 2017 wrote:
Another reason to not link the badge achievement to exiting the instance is that running back to the exit of a long dungeon is not something we are accustomed to after five years of play.

I'm in the habit of teleporting out, which doesn't give me credit for the assist.

I developed the habit of exiting "normally" as sometimes you get the dungeon recall whether you finished the dungeon or not. The Machine is a good example of this.
I hate seeing that when I know I'm finished!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Oct 8, 2017 wrote:
I noticed someone else used the word Kerfuffle in this thread and had to see what was said. Gee, where have I heard those words before? Oh they ARE familiar. Should I feel honored?
"Kerfuffle" is an excellent word for the arguments going on, you didn't happen to copyright that word, BTW?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Calamity Finch on Oct 8, 2017 wrote:
I hadn't seen your post until after I made mine -- great minds think alike, I guess?