Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Building Lesser Companions: A Break from the Cold

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
With everyone being affected by the polar vortex right now, I thought I'd try to make everyone a bit warmer. How? I'm discussing tropical Water Mole Companions! Warm enough?

Nanu Nanu is given to Privateers during "A Fishy Business". He promotes at level 30.

Romba is earned by Musketeers during "Rite of Passage". He promotes at level 37.

The Water Mole Slingman is given to Buccaneers during "The Soggy Crusade".

Uga Buga is found in the Crown Shop after "Bad Company" for 5,995 Crowns. He promotes at levels 15 and 37.

Oingo Boingo is bought from the Crown Shop for 7,495 Crowns after unlocking the badge "Tubthumper". He promotes at level 30

Companion Notes:

Unlike his normal counterpart, Uga Buga does not have Mojo Storm.

A combination of high cost and poor Epic Talent choice makes Oingo Boingo the least bought Crown Shop Companion, and likely third rarest companion in the game.

Are you warm enough yet? Then by all means, please share you ideas on how to build these tribal tough guys. (Especially Oingo Boingo). Then we can warm their hearts, too!

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
Hi! Remember me? I've been a bit of a background observer for a while, but anyway, onto the companions. I own Oingo Boingo, as rare as he is and as cool as he looks, he never really got the epic choices or powers he deserved. I believe he gets around five epics in total though. Try to build him with two ranks of First Strike and Blade Storm to maximize his epic talent usefulness.

Witch Hunter is also a decent option, whether you just want one rank or two. If you want the niche of getting another go at an attack, Second Chance is alright too. And if you really wanna go for the niche stuff, you could build his Cheap Shot a little, but it's not reccomended. Flanking is only for memers.

Hardy Quinn

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
My baby buccaneer has Oingo Boingo on his crew, and since he's only Level 28, I have chosen First Strike at Level 15, and boosted his strength and accuracy, with armor and resistance.

Generally, I do what other players say not to -- I use Flanking and Cheap Shot. I don't plan my battles too far ahead, so any extra bonus strikes that happen due to movement by my team or the enemy on the battleboard are welcome. I'd much rather Oingo Boingo take a hit than a ranged teammate.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Angel Angle The Li... on Feb 2, 2019 wrote:
Hi! Remember me? I've been a bit of a background observer for a while, but anyway, onto the companions. I own Oingo Boingo, as rare as he is and as cool as he looks, he never really got the epic choices or powers he deserved. I believe he gets around five epics in total though. Try to build him with two ranks of First Strike and Blade Storm to maximize his epic talent usefulness.

Witch Hunter is also a decent option, whether you just want one rank or two. If you want the niche of getting another go at an attack, Second Chance is alright too. And if you really wanna go for the niche stuff, you could build his Cheap Shot a little, but it's not reccomended. Flanking is only for memers.

Hardy Quinn
I remember you! I don't own Oingo Boingo myself, but I'll try to do what you said if I ever do get him.

As for my Romba, he's not one of my main choices, but I think he should be built similar to your Oingo Boingo, especially since he has an Epic Strike. That's the way I tried to build him, at any rate.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Feb 4, 2019 wrote:
My baby buccaneer has Oingo Boingo on his crew, and since he's only Level 28, I have chosen First Strike at Level 15, and boosted his strength and accuracy, with armor and resistance.

Generally, I do what other players say not to -- I use Flanking and Cheap Shot. I don't plan my battles too far ahead, so any extra bonus strikes that happen due to movement by my team or the enemy on the battleboard are welcome. I'd much rather Oingo Boingo take a hit than a ranged teammate.

Flanking and Cheap Shot makes sense if you don't use hide. Even if you do use hide being aware of whats on the board and how a flank or CS may occur are good tactics. Perhaps a couple ranks in Tough later for Oingo ( since you don't mind if he takes a few hits. )

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
Lookit Light on Feb 1, 2019 wrote:
With everyone being affected by the polar vortex right now, I thought I'd try to make everyone a bit warmer. How? I'm discussing tropical Water Mole Companions! Warm enough?

Nanu Nanu is given to Privateers during "A Fishy Business". He promotes at level 30.

Romba is earned by Musketeers during "Rite of Passage". He promotes at level 37.

The Water Mole Slingman is given to Buccaneers during "The Soggy Crusade".

Uga Buga is found in the Crown Shop after "Bad Company" for 5,995 Crowns. He promotes at levels 15 and 37.

Oingo Boingo is bought from the Crown Shop for 7,495 Crowns after unlocking the badge "Tubthumper". He promotes at level 30

Companion Notes:

Unlike his normal counterpart, Uga Buga does not have Mojo Storm.

A combination of high cost and poor Epic Talent choice makes Oingo Boingo the least bought Crown Shop Companion, and likely third rarest companion in the game.

Are you warm enough yet? Then by all means, please share you ideas on how to build these tribal tough guys. (Especially Oingo Boingo). Then we can warm their hearts, too!
I have a question: do you guys really think that there are lesser companions? It breaks my heart to see so many players taking them for granted and set to work, I mean sure if they're a few levels lower I understand, but how could they be lesser? Every one has uses on the field, ( even Kan Po ) Please help me understand why companions like the weasel gambler is known to be "lesser".

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
piratelover410 on Feb 10, 2019 wrote:
I have a question: do you guys really think that there are lesser companions? It breaks my heart to see so many players taking them for granted and set to work, I mean sure if they're a few levels lower I understand, but how could they be lesser? Every one has uses on the field, ( even Kan Po ) Please help me understand why companions like the weasel gambler is known to be "lesser".
You've already got the main idea. The general players don't use them, and instead put them on long, grueling tasks. Companions such as Fan Flanders and Bonnie Anne are viewed as "greater" than them because of better Epic Talents and statistics.

I view this as utter nonsense.

There are those that can be brought back from the brink, and those that have been! I have got Ridolfo Capoferro and Tyson, both of them hardly ever used, and turned them into top-class fighters! The companions that many view as "lesser" are, in fact, unique fighters that are used in unique ways. Try out yours, see if they fit your playing style, incorporate them into your strategy, and if you do, you've got a hidden gem to make opponents baffled, in PvP, or in PvE.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
piratelover410 on Feb 10, 2019 wrote:
It is only player's prejudices that make some companions "lesser". Generally, it's because these companions don't have a power strike.
I'm surprised that players consider Kan Po as a "lesser", he's quite powerful!
Still, you do have to maintain nautical levels, and getting pet snacks and gear is useful; someone has to do it. But as long as you try to keep your "lesser" companions leveled, trained & promoted, they'll be there to fill in when your "best" fail.