Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Supernatural

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
A couple months ago, I came across Supernatural, a series on the CW, which was being rerun on TNT. Just wondering, any of you pirates also into this show? Are there any Supernatural Easter eggs in Pirate101?

We certainly fight enough supernatural creatures in the game. I have a feeling there might, at least, be a Winchester somewhere in the game, probably Cool Ranch, but if it was more than a reference to the weapon maker, it slid past me.

If you don't know the show but are curious, here are a few things about it. It is about two brothers, who hunt monsters. Fair warning, it is classed a horror genre series. Much like a play titled "The Tragedy of...." by William Shakespeare, you know things are not usually going to work out very well for most of the characters. Also like Shakespeare, the tragedy gets leavened with a fair amount of humor. The show is going into it's 15th and last season in the fall. In the beginning, the show was intended to be something X- FIles like, but with supernatural monsters rather than aliens. It became much more about the 2 brothers, as it went on, and with more of an action feel to it. If you take a look and don't care for the early, heavy on the horror vibe, you might want to skip to season 3. The show is really good about filling you in on what you need to know if you missed or forgot what happened in earlier shows.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
When I found this show, it was in season 6, and I caught a lot, though not all of the later seasons (yet). I like that when I went back to the first episode, Sam was already Sam, and Dean was already Dean, just younger and less sure of themselves. Most shows take at least a season for the actors to figure out who their characters are supposed to be. If it is already there in the first episode, acting magic. I think the actors brought a lot of themselves to the parts.

There are some truly funny videos from the Supernatural conventions. Back stage, these people had a lot of fun, and they are hysterical! A friend showed me some; we had to stop some of them to wipe away tears of laughter and recover from the laughing fits.

The stars, Jared and Jensen are from Texas, live in Austin now, met their wives on the show, and have kids. Hey KingsIsle, they wrapped the final season, might be free, and live close enough to Kingsisle to drive there. It would be AMAZING to hear them voicing some characters for Pirate101. I can only imagine if they tweeted about playing the game with their kids, how many fans might check it out. If by some chance, the Ackles or Padelecki family plays and reads these forums, you have a shout out from Calamity Finch. Maybe there will even be snacks.

Thanks to the makers of the show, their composers, and the musically talented cast and crew. Thanks to the great music on Supernatural, it made my fingers itch to get out guitars that had been in their cases too long.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I may have found a small Supernatural reference in one of my pirate's quest books. When I looked at my quests, I saw "The Road Ahead", which was used in Supernatural sometimes to preview scenes from upcoming shows. I figure Samuel Colt is both a history reference, but can also be considered a Supernatural one, especially as we are trying to get a special gun from him.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Jul 12, 2019 wrote:
I may have found a small Supernatural reference in one of my pirate's quest books. When I looked at my quests, I saw "The Road Ahead", which was used in Supernatural sometimes to preview scenes from upcoming shows. I figure Samuel Colt is both a history reference, but can also be considered a Supernatural one, especially as we are trying to get a special gun from him.
Unfortunately, Calamity, it seems the show was referencing this historic figure ( an inventor of guns ), and KI wasn't referencing Supernatural. "The Peacemaker" is a nickname for Colt's revolver.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
anecorbie on Jul 12, 2019 wrote:
Unfortunately, Calamity, it seems the show was referencing this historic figure ( an inventor of guns ), and KI wasn't referencing Supernatural. "The Peacemaker" is a nickname for Colt's revolver.
I beg to differ. Supernatural used the historic gun maker as a character in 2011, and a gun made by him to be an important object in the show since the first season.Yes this is a historical reference. But this game being made later than the TV show, the reference could be to both the history, and the show, a double reference. Only the game makers can say for sure. I grant you, the Supernatural colt gun was not actually a "Peacemaker" but a replica of a Colt Patterson revolver, but I had to look that up.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Jul 15, 2019 wrote:
I beg to differ. Supernatural used the historic gun maker as a character in 2011, and a gun made by him to be an important object in the show since the first season.Yes this is a historical reference. But this game being made later than the TV show, the reference could be to both the history, and the show, a double reference. Only the game makers can say for sure. I grant you, the Supernatural colt gun was not actually a "Peacemaker" but a replica of a Colt Patterson revolver, but I had to look that up.
I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree about this subject.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I'd like to open this topic up a little. When you've seen Supernatural, you start to see stuff that could fit that world, even if it has nothing to do with it. There were things recently that had me saying, "That sounds like how the news would report it, after the Winchesters left town". How about things that are in game? Things that might never have been a Supernatural reference, but you wish it was. Tenuous connections here. Give me your Supernatural conspiracy theory.

I think the quests started in Do Fear The Reaver, where Capt. Charlie Kennet wants us to save Jack ought to be one. Why? There's a Jack, there's a Bobby, and we are certainly trying to save someone from undead monsters bent on revenge. There's black magic, a curse, and even a ghost ship. There's even a rock reference in the title of the quest to a Blue Oyster Cult song. Put all that together, and it starts to SOUND Supernatural.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
The thing about a show like Supernatural (sorry, only watched bits of it while my daughter was a fan a few years ago) is that the writers use the same source material as the Kingsisle writing team, so the similarities will be present without the Kingsisle team actually having Supernatural in mind.

I was more a Grimm fan, but that series wasn't as long-running or generally popular as Supernatural. Now, if one of our pirate classes was a shape-changer, wouldn't that be fun?

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Willowydream on Jul 30, 2019 wrote:
The thing about a show like Supernatural (sorry, only watched bits of it while my daughter was a fan a few years ago) is that the writers use the same source material as the Kingsisle writing team, so the similarities will be present without the Kingsisle team actually having Supernatural in mind.

I was more a Grimm fan, but that series wasn't as long-running or generally popular as Supernatural. Now, if one of our pirate classes was a shape-changer, wouldn't that be fun?

True enough about common source material. I don't rule out the possibility of them taking advantage of multi level connections.

It seems possible there could be at least one Supernatural fan on staff throwing some ideas into the mix. It might not be a strong connection, like the professor and Dr. Who over in wizard. Given that Supernatural and Grimm both go into some dark and grown-up topics, if they were referenced, it might need to be lightly, and done with a subtle hand. That said, given all the ghosts we face and other supernatural stuff in the game, even the witchdoctor class and companions, it would be nice to see some easter egg references.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I would argue for a H. P. Lovecraft fan among the writers of KI; what with "Alhazred" and the Cuthulu-like creature appearing in the puppet shows.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 9, 2019 wrote:
I would argue for a H. P. Lovecraft fan among the writers of KI; what with "Alhazred" and the Cuthulu-like creature appearing in the puppet shows.
That could be very true. That writer has influenced many others with his work, and I've heard he welcomed others using things he created.

Spoiler:

That said, a certain writer may have appeared in Supernatural with a creation of his.
LAYERS!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Supernatural is back! Final road here we come! I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with, it that they hadn't gotten around to yet, and hope they have some surprise returns of actors we didn't expect to see again.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009