Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I'd like to see major dungeons have have normal and hard settings

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
Some of us like a challenge, and find it way more fun when the players sometimes get wiped. If major dungeons have difficulty levels, and the gear that drops from them are only slightly better in the harder settings, it would not unbalance the game any. Once more, I only like slight gear and talent improvements, as I favor a system that is easier to balance out the classes and doesn't make normal gameplay mindbogglingly boring as to how easy it is for the more built up characters.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Takhethis on Feb 20, 2021 wrote:
Some of us like a challenge, and find it way more fun when the players sometimes get wiped. If major dungeons have difficulty levels, and the gear that drops from them are only slightly better in the harder settings, it would not unbalance the game any. Once more, I only like slight gear and talent improvements, as I favor a system that is easier to balance out the classes and doesn't make normal gameplay mindbogglingly boring as to how easy it is for the more built up characters.
If you want a challenge discard your OP gear, use your "worst" companions (or none at all) and go in solo. This game development to slated to an average base.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
having a hard setting would be interesting and fine if it increased drop rates on certain dropped gear as an incentive (example: current imperial gear in tower of moo has about a 1% drop rate, say if you complete it on a 'hard' setting, the drop rate increases to 10% to account for the more difficult play) because as it stands right now, there's nothing in the pve part of this game that is challenging at all unless you decide to solo, (and really, only things like obsidian bosses are hard to solo at this point)

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
caleb10104 on Feb 26, 2021 wrote:
having a hard setting would be interesting and fine if it increased drop rates on certain dropped gear as an incentive (example: current imperial gear in tower of moo has about a 1% drop rate, say if you complete it on a 'hard' setting, the drop rate increases to 10% to account for the more difficult play) because as it stands right now, there's nothing in the pve part of this game that is challenging at all unless you decide to solo, (and really, only things like obsidian bosses are hard to solo at this point)
I agree that small increases in equipment stats based upon difficulty level wouldn't be necessary if the drop rates improved based upon difficulty level, and current difficulty levels for well equipped pirates are too low.

So if you regularly have a 1% chance at normal, then hard would be at 3%, and difficult at 5%.

Only those who have competed normal could join hard, and only those who have completed hard could make difficult. So if you have normal, hard, and difficult all unlocked you could make either of them.

Difficulty levels add challenge back into the game without disrupting how the game plays, and if the same drops can be had at all difficulty levels, then it doesn't make it necessary for anyone to have to play the higher difficulty settings.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
I also need to point out that both Pirate101 and Wizard101 tends to be dumbed down and made easier over time while the Pirates and their pets tend to be boosted over time, and that drop rates for the items people want tend to be constantly decreased over time. Why make instances easier when over time pirates will be stronger and higher level? A hard setting would likely simply be how a dungeon originally came out, while a difficult and/or insane setting would be made more challenging than first out.

When first out, I believe KingsIsle believes dungeons and instances need to be made more challenging and hard due to how many people will be playing in the area and that a whole lot of players will always be in groups rather than solo. Overtime, there are less people in an area and so it gets dumbed down so that players who are wearing the worst equipment ever and not even using a trained pet skate by. Those well built just find everything boring, and seem to be penalized by the dumbing down cause they actually put time into the game. Why equip a character well when you need no equipment at all due to game dumbing down?