Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A Fair FTUD

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
According to a few older, experienced players; the recent FTUD has had the effect of reducing the entire game to a "cakewalk". This despite the FTUD only affecting the health of enemies under level 40.
So I have decided to give a true test to their complaints - I have deleted one of my max level pirates and cleared out the bank. It will be as if this was a new account with only one pirate; I'll use nothing from the shared bank, that means pets, gear or ship equipment. I will only use those items I get as drops or from the bazaar ( not even a mount ), until I reach level 40. All without "help" from my other maxed pirates in gold or drops. And I'll give you a weekly report on my new pirate's progress and any problems she may have.
So welcome Rowan Morgan, currently level 3 swashbuckler, to the game ( ugh, gotta do CR over again! )

I make NO apologies for making another SB, it's my favorite class and I play it well.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Rowan is now level 12 and currently cleaning up side quests before continuing to Puerto Mico. Time to record some impressions: Is it a "cake walk" ? Well not at all, is it easy? Wasn't that the point of the FTUD; making it a bit easier for the First Timer?

The Fin Dorsal fight in the Temple of Gloom - previously when I fought him with good equipment and a max level pet, ol' Fin was lucky to last to the second round. Since Rowan was under-equipped and didn't have a pet, it took 3 full rounds to defeat Fin and the KO was delivered by Sargent Shepard. Subodai was in the red zone and Rowan had less than half her health. It was splendid to have an actual fight once more.
Then came level 5 - 8 and Manny, Moe and Jack.
I can say, that though the health was effected in some battles; they still hit as hard as ever. Frankie Pinch was a nice healthy ORANGE ( remember enemies are color coded here ). Fan fainted half way through the Marie Celestia dungeon and Rowan limped out of the Dutchman's fight.
Gaining those items from C'Hok, Emperor Prawn & the Dutchman is helping, a lot.

I was feeling the thrill once more. Honestly, if you want a challenge use bazaar gear and leave the OP stuff at home.
I must say, though, that this pirate is in a better financial position than she would be if I had created her in the Summer. Those presents have given so much gold and pet snacks that she's having an easy time leveling her companions, training her pets and up grading her ship from skiff to galleon.
Nautical wise she's still under leveled compared to her pirate level, only 9.
More on Friday!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Congratulations and welcome to the new Swashbuckler. 20 minutes of farming the gift boxes in Avery's Court should set her up with free mounts to carry her through the game. Are you intending to do side quests or not?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Dec 16, 2019 wrote:
Congratulations and welcome to the new Swashbuckler. 20 minutes of farming the gift boxes in Avery's Court should set her up with free mounts to carry her through the game. Are you intending to do side quests or not?

Doing side quests, yes, this has been a habit of mine in every MMO I've played, so as a "First Timer", it's logical that I do this.
I now have 16 weeks worth of free rentals!

Ensign
Sep 22, 2012
Awesome job! I'm also doing this with my brand new privateer, Jamal. I'm only using bazaar gear, and to shake things up, putting all my companions in random order (as opposed to what I normally do). I see no decreased difficulty in the creatures, minus their reduced health. I had to wish Egg Shen a two-minute farewell when he got walloped by Crab Crawlies in the Ancient Tunnels. He (Jamal) has a brand new pet, Lord Stinker the Tarantula, as I've decided not to use my max level pets either. It's NOT a cakewalk, as many people think it is. I think the way I'm playing through this game makes it the most difficult yet.

Other notes: I'm soloing it ALL with no outside help, and don't have any other crown-purchased items on him except for his mount and Barnaby Crisp, the Charred Duelist (I had to choke back a "whoot" when I first got him. Miraculously. He's not that great BTW).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Duck de Death on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
Awesome job! I'm also doing this with my brand new privateer, Jamal. I'm only using bazaar gear, and to shake things up, putting all my companions in random order (as opposed to what I normally do). I see no decreased difficulty in the creatures, minus their reduced health. I had to wish Egg Shen a two-minute farewell when he got walloped by Crab Crawlies in the Ancient Tunnels. He (Jamal) has a brand new pet, Lord Stinker the Tarantula, as I've decided not to use my max level pets either. It's NOT a cakewalk, as many people think it is. I think the way I'm playing through this game makes it the most difficult yet.

Other notes: I'm soloing it ALL with no outside help, and don't have any other crown-purchased items on him except for his mount and Barnaby Crisp, the Charred Duelist (I had to choke back a "whoot" when I first got him. Miraculously. He's not that great BTW).
Thank you for sharing your new pirate's experiences, Duck de Death! If you have anything further to add, then please do so.
Congrats on the pack recruitment!

Also, if you're reading this and have a new pirate or are completely new to this game, please share your input on how easy or hard this game is for you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Dec 16, 2019 wrote:

I'm wondering if I should do the Ambassador"s quests at this low level. If the FTUD has affected those....

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Now level 15 ( ugh, how I hate CR clothes... ) and got my 1 rank of First Strike. I wasn't level 15 for the Gortez fight and he was a tough fight, nearly lost RB to bed rest
I have decided to do the Ambassador's quests, after all. If I was an unknowing, new player; that's what I'd do. I hope it's not as bad as I remember....
All in all, I would say that this FTUD is successful, being easier, but not a "cakewalk". The best aspect of it is, of course, the easier nautical XP. I'm having no problems maintaining my ship XP with my pirate XP.

Ensign
Jun 22, 2011
anecorbie on Dec 20, 2019 wrote:
Now level 15 ( ugh, how I hate CR clothes... ) and got my 1 rank of First Strike. I wasn't level 15 for the Gortez fight and he was a tough fight, nearly lost RB to bed rest
I have decided to do the Ambassador's quests, after all. If I was an unknowing, new player; that's what I'd do. I hope it's not as bad as I remember....
All in all, I would say that this FTUD is successful, being easier, but not a "cakewalk". The best aspect of it is, of course, the easier nautical XP. I'm having no problems maintaining my ship XP with my pirate XP.
Well, It's good that you're seeing some challenges. I don't think it should be unheard of for companions to be on Bed Rest in the game.

No problems maintaining nautical xp means defeating fewer ships as you quest, which means less chance of receiving ship equipment as drops. This will mean that new pirates will be more dependent on the Bazaar and Ship Equipment Vendors. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. I suppose there may be new pirates who aren't put off by nautical combat as most older pirates seem to be who will still farm the skyways for equipment.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ThriftyTara on Dec 20, 2019 wrote:
Well, It's good that you're seeing some challenges. I don't think it should be unheard of for companions to be on Bed Rest in the game.

No problems maintaining nautical xp means defeating fewer ships as you quest, which means less chance of receiving ship equipment as drops. This will mean that new pirates will be more dependent on the Bazaar and Ship Equipment Vendors. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. I suppose there may be new pirates who aren't put off by nautical combat as most older pirates seem to be who will still farm the skyways for equipment.

I wonder why so many players hate nautical combat or using their ships to travel: it's a game about pirates for Pete's sake! You're going to need to use a ship sometime, otherwise KI just should've called it: Warriors101!
(ship emoji, please, KI! )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Level 25, I'll be cleaning up some side quests before continuing with the main story line; I'm up to the part where I gather ingredients to heal the Free Ranger.
I've decided to do Rooster's complete quest line ( including Frank & Jesse Cranes ) as I recall: that fight was horrible for anyone under level 30. I'll let you know if it's been nerfed.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Well, well , imagine my surprise that I defeated Jesse & frank Cranes, though Bonnie Anne and Sarah Steele went on bed rest ( Fan almost did ). I did expect this fight would hand me my first defeat.
Guess who did defeat me and team? "Nasty" Nathaniel Birdett in Cricket Cave. So, of course, I went back in. Wow, tough fight. The team was defeated and I walked out of there with 3 health left!

Guess there are some challenges left in this game!
Then after waiting for my crew to heal, I went to tackle The Bird With No Name - I thought I was done for when I saw his color was PURPLE! As a "defeat the boss" type fight, it was easy, though if I wasn't paying attention to the battle orders, it would have been much harder.
Got Rooster Keel Haulin' and getting ready to get those ingredients to cure the Free Ranger.

Ensign
Oct 13, 2019
anecorbie on Dec 29, 2019 wrote:
Well, well , imagine my surprise that I defeated Jesse & frank Cranes, though Bonnie Anne and Sarah Steele went on bed rest ( Fan almost did ). I did expect this fight would hand me my first defeat.
Guess who did defeat me and team? "Nasty" Nathaniel Birdett in Cricket Cave. So, of course, I went back in. Wow, tough fight. The team was defeated and I walked out of there with 3 health left!

Guess there are some challenges left in this game!
Then after waiting for my crew to heal, I went to tackle The Bird With No Name - I thought I was done for when I saw his color was PURPLE! As a "defeat the boss" type fight, it was easy, though if I wasn't paying attention to the battle orders, it would have been much harder.
Got Rooster Keel Haulin' and getting ready to get those ingredients to cure the Free Ranger.
He's a level 35 boss in a Cool Ranch Part 1 side quest. All three of my companions hit the bed rest before I was able to take him out.

Ah well, I guess one can't complain too much about a Clint Eastwood reference.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Level 32, and I'll stop reporting on how easy or difficult this game is now. I have tried to give an honest effort as a "new" player, unfortunately experience & knowledge can't be erased ( and I refuse to play "dumb" ).
If I were truly new, then I say that this FTUD has done it's job; it's easier but still with a few challenges.
Good Job, KI!
I have equipped my level 70 pet with awesome grants and an eyepatch. Also up-graded my ship with those super drops.