Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

An Old Wizard in a Pirate's Skyway

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 31, 2009
Hello All,

I'm exp613 and an avid fan and long time player of Wizard101. I have played Pirate about once a year off and on for a few years since 2016. (In December when I have more time off from Work and School sort of a Winter Vacation to Skull Island it would seem haha). I currently have a level 61 Witchdoctor and just a baby Privateer. I just wanted to share some insights and opinions about FTUE improvements and ideas that could help Pirate101 from a non-continuous player perspective. Then I want to talk a little bit about some of my favorite parts of the Pirate101 Skyways.

#1. Please improve UI
It is very hard to read the chat. I wish it was bigger. You can't see what people are saying half the time. Another huge thing is the menu up at the top. There are lots of useful things that are tucked away in there, but it's also hard to find, navigate and read. I really wish that you could press escape to bring it up (like in Wizard brings up options menu). Instead of the "quit to character selection page."

#2. Improved Maps
Allow us to navigate maps of explored areas while not in that area. I had a quest where I needed to travel from like Marleybone to Monquista to Mooshu and then to Aquila or something. I really enjoy traveling the skyways and would have loved to have "plotted a course" by using the maps or figured out hey if I cut to Skull Island I can go straight to Monquista via such and such Skyway. Instead of just strictly relying on the arrow.

#3. Allow/increase rewards for Grouping Up
Even with the Free Membership, it was sometimes hard to find someone to quest with. It's just sad, because I really want to open those group chests and never seemed to have a friend. I'm not sure how to help keep these lined up, but I think that would help improve the experience. One idea do I have will be described in the next section.

#4. Ship Combat
Is there some tactical improvements we could do to improve Ship Combat? Maybe friends that join your ship can make it so that you use powers 2x fast and as well can fire the cannons or something. Or clearing tokens will do something. As it stands right now, you basically would never want someone on your ship when they could be on their own. Another improvement might be to have angles matter when you're fighting ships. Are you side by side on an enemy ship, you can do more damage when your side is facing the ship. Is a ship right in front of you? You'll miss more often on your regular cannons because that angle isn't conducive to cannon fire.

#5 More Companion Powers
Players have tons of powers and at high levels you get to a point where you can't even use all of them. Companions have like 1 power unless they are really good ones. As such, this sort of makes some of the battles a little monotonous unless there is a fun mechanic (like shut down the machinery, steal the idol etc.) because there is no variety. It would be nice if you could offload some of your powers to your companions so that you could do some more cool moves. Having the same 3 moves over and over again makes it feel like the issue with Wizard101 combat and you only blade, feint, tempest, rinse and repeat.

#6 The Entire Prologue should be free...
I think that's a major turn off for new players. It doesn't give enough to sink your teeth into. You hit the paywall too early.

Things that I loved (and hope get brought over to Wizard101)

#1 The Art, Scenery, Worldbuilding, Skyways.
The Art Team on Pirate needs to be commended. The Skyways are just so beautiful, each and every one. I wish the art in Wizard101 was as good as the Pirate art is- I know that the games have some shared assets and I think that is awesome because it extends the worldbuilding of both worlds/games. I hope in the future that more of the Areas/Art comes into Wizard and that Wizard creeps in as well. The Game areas just seem so well thought out and wonderful!

#2. The Housing
This is sort of an extension of the first bit, I loved the Houses and Housing Items! Oh my goodness, I just bought the Witchdoctor House and it's so spooky and fun! I found a summoning Circle and a Cauldron that has a skeleton hand come up with a ladle and stir itself! Lol. I haven't bought it yet, but the Privateer House also is just so regal and amazing! I loved the hidden Spiral Planning area it just fit the theme so well! Each of the areas seem so well though out. Please send more of the Housing Items to Wizard101-the Spinning Globe of the Pirate Island and many of the other items in the Crownshop are just so cool!

#3 The Gold
I love how things can be purchased for gold including those awesome housing items! I know that Pirate's love gold and this game really shows it!

#4 Fast Combat
I know many Wizards want this, even if it's just applying effects all at once every little optimization helps!

#5 The ArtBooks
I know there has recently been an attempt made to include the Artbooks for Wizard101, but they are just so lackluster compared to the Pirate101 Artbooks. Pirate101 Artbooks just contain so much more concept art-I hope Wizard101 has that and can eventually have their artbooks contain more images. It would be so wonderful.

Thanks KI for the time in the Pirate's Spiral, looking forward to next year! Until then, I'll see you in Wizard City!

-exp613

Ensign
Aug 18, 2011
Improved Maps

OMG yes! I'd love full skyway maps. I'd even pay real money to get a printed version I could hang on a wall.

If you just follow quest arrows, it's inefficient to stack quests. Would be lovely to know what is near what, before having played the whole area twice.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
exp613 on Dec 21, 2021 wrote:
Hello All,

I'm exp613 and an avid fan and long time player of Wizard101. I have played Pirate about once a year off and on for a few years since 2016. (In December when I have more time off from Work and School sort of a Winter Vacation to Skull Island it would seem haha). I currently have a level 61 Witchdoctor and just a baby Privateer. I just wanted to share some insights and opinions about FTUE improvements and ideas that could help Pirate101 from a non-continuous player perspective. Then I want to talk a little bit about some of my favorite parts of the Pirate101 Skyways.

#1. Please improve UI
It is very hard to read the chat. I wish it was bigger. You can't see what people are saying half the time. Another huge thing is the menu up at the top. There are lots of useful things that are tucked away in there, but it's also hard to find, navigate and read. I really wish that you could press escape to bring it up (like in Wizard brings up options menu). Instead of the "quit to character selection page."

#2. Improved Maps
Allow us to navigate maps of explored areas while not in that area. I had a quest where I needed to travel from like Marleybone to Monquista to Mooshu and then to Aquila or something. I really enjoy traveling the skyways and would have loved to have "plotted a course" by using the maps or figured out hey if I cut to Skull Island I can go straight to Monquista via such and such Skyway. Instead of just strictly relying on the arrow.

#3. Allow/increase rewards for Grouping Up
Even with the Free Membership, it was sometimes hard to find someone to quest with. It's just sad, because I really want to open those group chests and never seemed to have a friend. I'm not sure how to help keep these lined up, but I think that would help improve the experience. One idea do I have will be described in the next section.

#4. Ship Combat
Is there some tactical improvements we could do to improve Ship Combat? Maybe friends that join your ship can make it so that you use powers 2x fast and as well can fire the cannons or something. Or clearing tokens will do something. As it stands right now, you basically would never want someone on your ship when they could be on their own. Another improvement might be to have angles matter when you're fighting ships. Are you side by side on an enemy ship, you can do more damage when your side is facing the ship. Is a ship right in front of you? You'll miss more often on your regular cannons because that angle isn't conducive to cannon fire.

#5 More Companion Powers
Players have tons of powers and at high levels you get to a point where you can't even use all of them. Companions have like 1 power unless they are really good ones. As such, this sort of makes some of the battles a little monotonous unless there is a fun mechanic (like shut down the machinery, steal the idol etc.) because there is no variety. It would be nice if you could offload some of your powers to your companions so that you could do some more cool moves. Having the same 3 moves over and over again makes it feel like the issue with Wizard101 combat and you only blade, feint, tempest, rinse and repeat.

#6 The Entire Prologue should be free...
I think that's a major turn off for new players. It doesn't give enough to sink your teeth into. You hit the paywall too early.

Things that I loved (and hope get brought over to Wizard101)

#1 The Art, Scenery, Worldbuilding, Skyways.
The Art Team on Pirate needs to be commended. The Skyways are just so beautiful, each and every one. I wish the art in Wizard101 was as good as the Pirate art is- I know that the games have some shared assets and I think that is awesome because it extends the worldbuilding of both worlds/games. I hope in the future that more of the Areas/Art comes into Wizard and that Wizard creeps in as well. The Game areas just seem so well thought out and wonderful!

#2. The Housing
This is sort of an extension of the first bit, I loved the Houses and Housing Items! Oh my goodness, I just bought the Witchdoctor House and it's so spooky and fun! I found a summoning Circle and a Cauldron that has a skeleton hand come up with a ladle and stir itself! Lol. I haven't bought it yet, but the Privateer House also is just so regal and amazing! I loved the hidden Spiral Planning area it just fit the theme so well! Each of the areas seem so well though out. Please send more of the Housing Items to Wizard101-the Spinning Globe of the Pirate Island and many of the other items in the Crownshop are just so cool!

#3 The Gold
I love how things can be purchased for gold including those awesome housing items! I know that Pirate's love gold and this game really shows it!

#4 Fast Combat
I know many Wizards want this, even if it's just applying effects all at once every little optimization helps!

#5 The ArtBooks
I know there has recently been an attempt made to include the Artbooks for Wizard101, but they are just so lackluster compared to the Pirate101 Artbooks. Pirate101 Artbooks just contain so much more concept art-I hope Wizard101 has that and can eventually have their artbooks contain more images. It would be so wonderful.

Thanks KI for the time in the Pirate's Spiral, looking forward to next year! Until then, I'll see you in Wizard City!

-exp613
Fancy seeing you here, exp613!

In general, I find it easy to agree with your suggestions. I too feel that Ship Combat has never been built upon, with some of the only interesting nautical fights being the Scylla in Aquila and the Haywire Dreadnought. And of course, the scenery is beautiful. (I in particular love Monquista, except when that ages-old glitch turns everything bright red.)

Ensign
Aug 18, 2011
"another improvement might be to have angles matter when you're fighting ships. Are you side by side on an enemy ship, you can do more damage when your side is facing the ship. Is a ship right in front of you?"

Please, NO. I like the other suggestions, but not this bit. Real ship guns can be aimed (even in the 18th century) so "broadside combat" doesn't need to be literally square-up broadside, and in fact a ship that's square on presents a bigger target, so firing from a quarter is better strategy. In the game, I want to be able to spin to spot other enemy ships approaching, since unlike the real world I can't look in all directions.

I do like the idea of more interesting ship battles, but don't want the basic mechanics to get more twitchy or complicated, and programing relative angles would be a pain. There are plenty of other games in which to test dexterity and speed.

I love the rest of your post.