Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Crab Hermit: Bugged Companion!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 01, 2012
There's a big problem with the crab hermit you get from a sidequest in Valencia-- When in battle, his targeting shows up as magic, but it has no range (in other words, he can only attack when adjacent.) Unlike melee, you can't move and attack with magic in the same round; so he spends a round moving, and if his enemy moves away during the counter-phase, he can't attack at all!

Hope this gets fixed soon, he'd be a neat companion if he worked!

Developer
Loeden on Oct 16, 2012 wrote:
There's a big problem with the crab hermit you get from a sidequest in Valencia-- When in battle, his targeting shows up as magic, but it has no range (in other words, he can only attack when adjacent.) Unlike melee, you can't move and attack with magic in the same round; so he spends a round moving, and if his enemy moves away during the counter-phase, he can't attack at all!

Hope this gets fixed soon, he'd be a neat companion if he worked!
Grr! I noticed the same thing!

I think his range is erroneously set to 1.

Have no fear, I'll fix him as soon as possible!

Ensign
Jul 01, 2012
Developer
Loeden on Oct 18, 2012 wrote:
Thanks Ratbeard, you're the best! :D
Yarr! Tis a vicious lie! I'm rotten to the core!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard on Oct 18, 2012 wrote:
Maybe so, but ye always keep yer word, no matter what! Arr!

Ensign
Dec 06, 2009
Ratbeard on Oct 18, 2012 wrote:
I beg to differ, sir!

While there may be a prickley outer shell, you have a sweet core.

In other words...Ratbeard, you are a pineapple.

Administrator
zman330 on Oct 19, 2012 wrote:
I beg to differ, sir!

While there may be a prickley outer shell, you have a sweet core.

In other words...Ratbeard, you are a pineapple.
(I agree . . . he's a pineapple. )

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Jul 25, 2011
My Swashbuckler uses him(?lol!) like a bodyguard!

Ensign
Dec 11, 2008
idk if you guys know but the herment crab you get as a crew member doesnt have an attack unless hes already next to some one, so i have to move him then hope who i move him to doesnt move during his turn other wise i can not attack, i put him down on my list he has about an 3% chance to show in battle but when he does show it just makes the battle hard for he is kinda just uselss, only thing he can do is summon a crab. plz fix or just take him off my crew list.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Ratbeard on Oct 17, 2012 wrote:
Grr! I noticed the same thing!

I think his range is erroneously set to 1.

Have no fear, I'll fix him as soon as possible!
Poor crab hermit is still glitched, in that he can only attack whomever is next to him (if the enemy doesn't move). He still can't move and attack more than 1 space.

Any update on this?

You're the bestest!

Developer
BrynnerOfReign on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:
Poor crab hermit is still glitched, in that he can only attack whomever is next to him (if the enemy doesn't move). He still can't move and attack more than 1 space.

Any update on this?

You're the bestest!

I've noted up thread that it will be fixed. (It's a very simple fix, actually-- my favorite kind.)

But remember that we're not patching the game every day, folks. Unless it's a game-stopping bug, we are very circumspect about when and why the code is open for us developers to make changes.

You'll know when it's fixed when you see it in ol' Jack's patch notes.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Oct 25, 2012 wrote:
I've noted up thread that it will be fixed. (It's a very simple fix, actually-- my favorite kind.)

But remember that we're not patching the game every day, folks. Unless it's a game-stopping bug, we are very circumspect about when and why the code is open for us developers to make changes.

You'll know when it's fixed when you see it in ol' Jack's patch notes.
Aye ye did matey...
And we appreicate yer efforts, we have had a few updates since you mention it, I suppose since ye be saying its an easy fix, we expected it to be taken care of in one of the updates that happened soon after.
It be what it be... not much else we can do I reckon.. we dont have any way to NOT use a broken companion. We arent given any choice ye see... Makes for a bit O frustration as it seems the spiral likes him quite a bit and puts him in a lot of battles despite being last on the list..Thank ye for your time and efforts, I love the game, but consider fleeing every battle this companion comes up as it is.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Petty Officer
Aug 22, 2010
In addition to the range problem with the Hermit Crab companion.... i have another problem with him.

He has a spell that summons a crab minion, but i never have him cast that spell any longer b/c every time he does... it spawns 3 - 4 additional enemies the next turn.

Isn't the whole point of summoning; to even the odds or spin them in your favor? I see absolutely no purpose in summoning his minion since it always spawns additional enemies, which always involve my defeat unless other players are in battle with me.

Right now I have him set to last since he's basically useless to me.

Developer
Robert Quick on Oct 29, 2012 wrote:
In addition to the range problem with the Hermit Crab companion.... i have another problem with him.

He has a spell that summons a crab minion, but i never have him cast that spell any longer b/c every time he does... it spawns 3 - 4 additional enemies the next turn.

Isn't the whole point of summoning; to even the odds or spin them in your favor? I see absolutely no purpose in summoning his minion since it always spawns additional enemies, which always involve my defeat unless other players are in battle with me.

Right now I have him set to last since he's basically useless to me.
I suspect that another player joined your fight and you didn't notice.

I use the crab summon every time and that has never happened to me.

But I'll look into it and double check.

Ensign
Dec 13, 2009
Grr. Wish I'd noticed this thread *before* buying the Crab Hermit from the crown shop.

He seems like he might be pretty cool, once he's fixed. But right now, he is very much a hindrance. I'd have waited until after he gets fixed to buy him had I known. Only found this thread because I did a search before starting one of my own.

Looking forward to the patch this gets fixed it!

Ensign
Dec 13, 2009
Is this going to be fixed in the patch you are going to run in a hour?

I really hope so, it is frustrating.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Oct 19, 2012 wrote:
(I agree . . . he's a pineapple. )
So you mean that his uncle was Spongbob Squarepants? Idea time! Make a world that's called the Bikini Bottom and yea that won't be in the spiral I think cause of copyright but maybe for a short time you could make a special area in Skull Island Skyway and you could find there's a new stormgate. Ya go there and see the Bikini Bottom and it has a pineapple in the globe. There you find out that one of Spongebob's cousin's, Ratbeard was underarrest by the Armada for killing the clockworks. He was also a friend of Eugene Krabs and then at the Krusty Krab which should be a tavern, out of nowhere the armada comes! No Kane yet because it will be for a short period of time and F2P but if it's pernament then it'll cost crowns and then Kane will be there. This world could be after Polaris for the seventh piece of the map and I'm sure you can guess where that it. Hint: Bottle. KI give the winner the new bundle that will be coming out for p101 and no crowns so sry. Only membership and other stuff! Marleybone should be after the Bikini Bottom if it's there but my guess if that it won't be there cause of Xibalba hit it and it exploded like Azteca! If the Bikini Bottom does get struck then the next world after Polaris will be Marleybone so future worlds and all worlds in order.
Skull Island, Monquista, Valencia, Cool Ranch, Mooshu, Polaris, Bikini Bottom, Marleybone or
Skull Island, Monquista, Valencia, Cool Ranch, Mooshu, Polaris, Marleybone so that should be the order and the question is if you forgot was where would the seventh map piece is if the Bikini Bottom was released? Hint: Bottom and have a nice day Pricklybeard. LOL!
Jacob Freeman is now lvl 16! He's lvling fast!

Ensign
Dec 13, 2009
Just wondering if this has been addressed yet? Thanks :)

Administrator
Not yet unfortunately. It didn't make it into the recent batch of 1,500 fixes that are going through the paces on the Test Realm currently, but it is scheduled to be fixed

Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Dec 4, 2012 wrote:
Not yet unfortunately. It didn't make it into the recent batch of 1,500 fixes that are going through the paces on the Test Realm currently, but it is scheduled to be fixed
Thats unfortunate, its been a known issue for several months as this thread can attest to.

Pirates with this companion are immediately saddled with a handicap. A companion they need to train just in case, that is otherwise worthless. Sigh...

I am a bit frustrated at times when it seems issues that are known to be bothering pirates are put off for other things that arent affecting us, or that we dont even know about.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Nov 07, 2012
Hey guys, RegreT, aka "Silver Wolf Moone", here. The crab hermits issue of movement and attacking is somewhat annoying. A buddy and I got into a discussion about this very topic. If you take a look at the Black Storm Shaman, (bison), at first thought you would think, shaman, he must be a witchdoctor. But the shaman are actually privateers. We compared the two because we initially thought the two were both witch doctors. The bison has the same setback, he has to first move up to a character and attack. Once i did some quick research, we found the true "class" of the shaman. That only blew our arguments out the door and raised new questions. Some aren't as well thought out, but still ideas:
1) Perhaps the crab hermit is misclassified. Privateers do use many mojo attacks and all classes can learn them.
2) Maybe there is a second type of witchdoctor. Being an obviously old creature, the crab might not have the energy/strength/power to cast a long ranged mojo attack. His age might limit his powers to only be able to successfully use a magic attack if within a very close proximity. In other rpgs, the common paladin character uses magic to strengthen his weapons. Could the crab be some type of similar "magician"?
3) My crab hermit is rock solid. he cannot be taken down easily, if at all. Maybe in an effort to balance the scales, he needed to be an up-front fighter. An infallible magician, with full long range attacks, would most likely give a little unfair advantage. Even surrounded by enemies, the crab hermit is a beast, at least for me.

These are just ideas, he might really be bugged as that is what it seems. Any feedback to this post would be most appreciated. I would like to know anyone else's opinion on the alternate answers my bud and I thought up. Thank you for your time, and see ye on t' skyways mateys!

Ensign
Dec 13, 2009
I dislike complaining, though I do like to point out things that seem like bugs or glitches. But the one time I think everyone is very justified in complaining, is on broken things that involve real money. The Crab Hermit is a crown shop companion. He cost real money to buy. I'm not really sure how KI determines priority for bug fixes, but real-money items should probably get bumped up in your list.

Game-breaker & crash bugs should obviously be top priority, and they do seem to be, which is great. Next on that list should be real-money items - a.k.a. Crown Shop and game card items. If you go to an electronics store and purchase a blu-ray player, get it home, hook it up, and discover it is broken and does not do what it should - perhaps plays only DVDs, not blu-rays - you don't send an e-mail to the store and then wait 2+ months for the problem to eventually get solved when it is convenient for them to do so. You pack it up and go back to the store and they fix the problem (ie/ replace the player), or you get refunded if you don't want a replacement/fix.

I'm puzzled why KI seems to think a digital purchase doesn't deserve the same priority treatment? This is a purchased companion, not a quest-reward. Ratbeard posted above: "It's a very simple fix, actually-- my favorite kind.". That post was over a month ago. Attack range is usually just a table entry which shouldn't take more than a few minutes to fix. If your coding is bizarrely complicated for some reason, perhaps an hour. And I'd wager not all 1500 bug fixes in this update were for game-breaking bugs/crashes.

We did get pvp, which is great, and I offer both congratulations and thanks on implementing it so soon after launch. But surely fixing this cash-purchased item would not have delayed this implementation in any significant way.

I hope this doesn't come off as too insulting or angry sounding. It's not meant that way. The low character limit causes some curt wording, so I apologize if it does.

Administrator
I've been told that the Crab Hermit Companion was fixed in the recent update to the game, but that it unfortunately wasn't reported in the Update Notes. Could I get some player feedback regarding this change?

Sorry for the miscommunication and Thank you!

Ensign
Nov 07, 2010
As of yesterday 12/12, Crafty Jim cast at a distance. I believe it is only 3-4 squares, but anything is better than before. I had no problem with him and even moved him higher in my crew. Thanks for the fix.

Reckless Rowan Underhill ~Swashbuckler, Level 22
(It's sad when you have to log in to the game to remind yourself what name and class pirate you were using last.)

AKA
Perilous Pearl Underhill ~Privateer, Lvl 42
Impish Isis Underhill ~Witchdoctor, Lvl 15
Black Belle ~Buccaneer, Lvl 11
Fiery Fiona Underhill ~Musketeer, Lvl 10

Ensign
Dec 13, 2009
My thanks to Jack for the update about this fix, and the efforts you've gone to to make sure we know about this.

I feel a bit more reassured knowing that this did indeed make it into this round of fixes. It is unfortunate that you were not informed earlier Jack :)

Sadly I have not had a chance to try him out yet. Maybe later tonight, or if not, definitely tomorrow.

Thanks again.