Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Class Shaming

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
Nightblood1995 on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
I believe Ratbeard once said, long ago, that Summons and Pets are not meant to act like Companions; they are meant to act as decoys in order to trigger enemy Epics so you and your team can charge in WITHOUT needing to worry about Overwatch or Hold The Line or Repel Boarders (etc). If the Summons were as strong as a Companion, for example, that'd be beyond broken as now you not only can drag out the battle even longer but you essentially just gained a few extra 'Companions' while your opponent sits with their measly 3. Yes, it helps the Witchdoctor a lot but at the same time it unbalances the game; it practically means Witchdoctors don't need to worry about their Companions dying if they can just summon equivalents.

Just a suggestion, I don't believe that's what you were implying but I just wanted to make that little bit clear. I do understand how frustrating it is to watch your Pet or Summon go after the wrong enemy or get in your way when you're trying to pull something off (ex: my pet likes to run smack dab in the middle of the enemy hoard when I'm already Hidden and ready to use Dance of Steel or Assassin's Mist; it's really flipping annoying and makes me want to trash my pet or unequip it more than anything else).

Something else to consider: extending the duration of the fight is a good tactic. Not only does it force your opponent to worry about additional enemies, it forces them to pick and choose what Powers to use and when, which can completely throw off their strategy. Should I Hide and Assassin Strike you and let your Summons/Companions/Pet all swoop in and maul me when I'm vulnerable or should I play it safe and pick off the Summons/Pet one by one? This then gives you time to think and strategize on your end, which is an extremely valuable component in battle. You could also summon a wall of minions to protect you from enemy charges. There's so much you can do, you just gotta think outside the box. Strength and Power are only a small part of the fight
I see now what you mean, and I would never expect for summons to be like companions nor pets, but just good enough to land a good hit. Thats all I want from my summons.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
TheHoodooQueen on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
I see now what you mean, and I would never expect for summons to be like companions nor pets, but just good enough to land a good hit. Thats all I want from my summons.
I understand and I agree, they can definitely be buffed a little more. What's the point in summoning them if they die that same round without even being given the chance to do anything? I back you up, if they can be improved a little more to survive or do a little better in the grand scheme of things then I say do it.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Nightblood1995 on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
I believe Ratbeard once said, long ago, that Summons and Pets are not meant to act like Companions; they are meant to act as decoys in order to trigger enemy Epics so you and your team can charge in WITHOUT needing to worry about Overwatch or Hold The Line or Repel Boarders (etc). If the Summons were as strong as a Companion, for example, that'd be beyond broken as now you not only can drag out the battle even longer but you essentially just gained a few extra 'Companions' while your opponent sits with their measly 3. Yes, it helps the Witchdoctor a lot but at the same time it unbalances the game; it practically means Witchdoctors don't need to worry about their Companions dying if they can just summon equivalents.

Just a suggestion, I don't believe that's what you were implying but I just wanted to make that little bit clear. I do understand how frustrating it is to watch your Pet or Summon go after the wrong enemy or get in your way when you're trying to pull something off (ex: my pet likes to run smack dab in the middle of the enemy hoard when I'm already Hidden and ready to use Dance of Steel or Assassin's Mist; it's really flipping annoying and makes me want to trash my pet or unequip it more than anything else).

Something else to consider: extending the duration of the fight is a good tactic. Not only does it force your opponent to worry about additional enemies, it forces them to pick and choose what Powers to use and when, which can completely throw off their strategy. Should I Hide and Assassin Strike you and let your Summons/Companions/Pet all swoop in and maul me when I'm vulnerable or should I play it safe and pick off the Summons/Pet one by one? This then gives you time to think and strategize on your end, which is an extremely valuable component in battle. You could also summon a wall of minions to protect you from enemy charges. There's so much you can do, you just gotta think outside the box. Strength and Power are only a small part of the fight
The problem is, summons cant act as decoy and trigger enemies epics for the team as you said for a simple reason:
They act after everybody else. When it's your turn, enemies got their epics back eh.

They make opponent worry about additional enemies? Nobody worries about them, they're so weak they can just ignore them and go for your team directly.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Silver Angel on Oct 13, 2015 wrote:
The problem is, summons cant act as decoy and trigger enemies epics for the team as you said for a simple reason:
They act after everybody else. When it's your turn, enemies got their epics back eh.

They make opponent worry about additional enemies? Nobody worries about them, they're so weak they can just ignore them and go for your team directly.
I can understand that, I had the same response when he told us that. Honestly, they should go last on your team not last on the board, in my opinion. That makes them a lot more useful.

It was just some suggestions, some people don't like feeling outnumbered or don't like having a group of tiny flies scratching away at their health from behind, others (like you said) can disregard or off them rather easily and effortlessly.

Good points, and I thank you for catching my mistake. Like I said, maybe if they went at the end of your team rather than the end of the entire round then they'd be more useful?

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Nightblood1995 on Oct 13, 2015 wrote:
I can understand that, I had the same response when he told us that. Honestly, they should go last on your team not last on the board, in my opinion. That makes them a lot more useful.

It was just some suggestions, some people don't like feeling outnumbered or don't like having a group of tiny flies scratching away at their health from behind, others (like you said) can disregard or off them rather easily and effortlessly.

Good points, and I thank you for catching my mistake. Like I said, maybe if they went at the end of your team rather than the end of the entire round then they'd be more useful?
Yes I believe they'd be more useful then. In that case they will really deplete enemies epics before they attack your team :)

I'm also with Hoodoo queen, they could use an accuracy/damage/health boost. Doesnt have to be like companions, but decent enough to make enemies worry about them.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Silver Angel on Oct 13, 2015 wrote:
Yes I believe they'd be more useful then. In that case they will really deplete enemies epics before they attack your team :)

I'm also with Hoodoo queen, they could use an accuracy/damage/health boost. Doesnt have to be like companions, but decent enough to make enemies worry about them.
Agreed, the summons could use a good boost so long as they remain on their own level and not on par with Companions (though some Companions might as well should be Summons since they still need some serious work). If it were me, I'd give the Summons some Health and Armor/Resist (whichever is more specific to their class) and some Damage. This can allow them to draw aggro/trigger Epics while holding their own for a few rounds.

Hopefully Ratbeard or someone sees these wonderful suggestions you and Hoodoo Queen have brought up and takes them into consideration!

Lieutenant
May 07, 2009
Nightblood1995 on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
First off, I want to say that I understand the competitive nature of PvP, especially Ranked, and I understand that class complaints are a dime a dozen in all MMOs. With that said, I still want to vent.

I'm getting really tired of people complaining about this class or that, how this should be nerfed or this should be buffed etc etc. The main 'victim' in all of this seems to be Swashes, which I personally love to play as. Not just for the damage, for the companions as well. But, it seems nowadays if you're a Swash you're 'evil' or a 'scrub', which I can understand why all the hatred in the PvP realm is directed at us but come on; I was a Bucc before, I enjoyed that class but not the companions, so I switched to a class that I'm more comfortable with and now I'm 'degraded' because of my personal choice? I understand how irritating our high damage and tactics are (including the highly controversial Purge scheme going around right now), but I would like to point out how irritating every other class and their tactics are as well.

Buccs: you hit them they hit back, if they critical they get a bonus hit and they are immortal WALLS if done right. All that defense should be nerfed, since I can't one shot you.

Privy: you sit back and buff and heal, which (if done right) can make all your attacks pointless AND you have to charge across the board to take them out, which means breaking through enemy lines. Pretty cowardice and they shouldn't have so many defense buffs if they're not going to join in on the action.

Muskets: you hardly ever miss, lay out traps that can decimate if done right and can reduce our dodge to half (or even nothing). All that accuracy should be nerfed if I can't dodge your shots.

Witch: you sit back and buff and summon additional allies, increasing your forces WHILE having the most powers in the game, which means dodging your attacks is going to be pointless until you run out of spells. Take out those powers, you have your summons you don't need all that power.

You see how ridiculous all that above was? And yet, I keep hearing how our Hides need to be nerfed or how our damage should be nerfed, completely defeating the purpose of the entire class. News flash kids: Kingsisle has explicitly stated that they WILL NOT nerf any class, they will BUFF weaker classes but they will NOT nerf; knock it off with all the pointless, selfish complaints already. This game is about tactics, everything in this game is counter-able. Start learning the ropes, practicing better strategies or quit complaining, because asking for nerfs is no better than asking to bend the game to your convenience, which is no better than cheating (exceptions include [example]: the Fin Goggles granting Scent long ago, which isn't actually a nerf but a correction).

Rant over, sorry I just needed to get that all out of my system. I enjoy my Swash and I hate being frowned upon because of it, just needed to make my voice heard on the matter.

Until Next Time
Wolf
Proud Lvl. 40
THANK YOU. I am so tired of people complaining about swashbucklers, when it's obvious if they actual made a different strategy, then they would be able to beat them.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
I played all pirate class and keep in mind, each have it strenght and weakness.

It's a shame that it came all to this, sawshbucklers were picked on the most for being too powerful, witchdoctors and privateers are being called weak and my main character a bucanner is called for being too powerful and needed to be nerfed. At least muskeeters are not harshly cirticized as the other class.

Come on pirates don't treat your fellow pirates like this, just be a good sport and congratulate one another.Even if you are defeated in Ranked pvp,at least both of you had fun.