Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What witchdoctors need to be balanced in pvp

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
1of1 Buccaneer on Oct 11, 2017 wrote:
My main concern is: what's with the removal of the complete power of Terra cotta warriors?

I know this isn't an exclusively Witchdoctor buff, but it's a summon, so...
I LOVED using that move all the time and it's the only thing that gave my Witchdoctor a chance in pvp, it really needs to be brought back. Since Witchdoctors need a buff, I suggest bringing it back on at least Witchdoctors, meaning make it so that Witchdoctors exclusively spawn the maximum amount of Terracotta warriors. I know this may be a bit controversial, but as long as it brings it back
None of the Terror-Cotta warrior's powers were removed - only the amount summoned was changed based on the Will stat.
As Witches ( besides Privys ) have the best Will, then using the Imperial Robes of Moo Manchu is still a viable summons; along with the Nefarious Staff with Scorpion Swarm.

Ensign
Jul 08, 2014
Witchdoctors need to get their charm spell back because they are so limited to what they have, Discord is like charm but a group one and it's not like privateers are already broken enough, they need more better companions and a little more balance.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Tactician0 on Oct 11, 2017 wrote:
Your idea is good. However staffy/shooty allows you to use overwatch and other Musketeer talents. So what if staffy/slashy let's you use Witch Hunter into a roll of other melee talents such as relentless or blade storm. I know some pretty good combo weapons with good damage.
But, generally most melee and Musket players avoid a combo for that very reason; many perceive a combo as "weak". They would then have to search and find a combo that suits them.
IDK if there are many combo staffy/melee that boost off of agility or strength.
Muskets & Privs have an easier time with finding a ranged combo that works in their favor.Changing the requirement would probably mean yet more coding, but perhaps not as much as removing WH from the other 4 classes altogether.
It may seem I'm entering some special pleading for WH ( maybe I am ) I don't have that talent on my main character, but I want to get it mainly for PVE uses.

Petty Officer
Dec 26, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 11, 2017 wrote:
Which WD companions would a witchdoctor like to use in PVP? I see that many are very disappointed in Carcarious ( & I see their point ) however, does any here have a consensus of what could be done to make Carc en par with the other trainer companions?
Old Scratch seems to be a staple, but I see the comments that he's only useful for his Mojo Flow buffs. I know that when I see him on the opposite team, he becomes the one I want to get rid of first. And he's squishy.
What do you guys think of the Ophidian Flame Dancer? Or HooDoo Cornelius?
Ophidian Flame Dancer had potential to be a staple as well... But she's way too squishy, her range isn't impressive, she has problems hitting even with ruse, and she only gets one power which is one measly Mournsong. If she had maybe three powers at most she could use such as Ghostwail and Evil Eye, she'd be the perfect partner with Scratch.

As for the monkey. It's battle design is good on paper, but it's high-risk high-reward and he's doomed against Swashbuckler and Buccaneer captains (Which are classes that are heavily picked in the current meta). He's still a Witchdoctor which have low dodge, accuracy and health. You need to waste a fort and/or bubble for him, but they could just ignore the monkey and aim for the captain anyway. He's just way too gimmicky for PVP imo.

Ensign
Jul 12, 2016
Which WD companions would a witchdoctor like to use in PVP? I see that many are very disappointed in Carcarious ( & I see their point ) however, does any here have a consensus of what could be done to make Carc en par with the other trainer companions?
Old Scratch seems to be a staple, but I see the comments that he's only useful for his Mojo Flow buffs. I know that when I see him on the opposite team, he becomes the one I want to get rid of first. And he's squishy.
I may be late here, but I'd use Carcarious, and I'll explain what I think can be done:
Definitely buffing accuracy and ranged, for one. WD companions should ideally be on the same tier as a musketeer of equal promotions.
Also he doesn't need purge, that power's useless for witchdoctors, they'll get killed in an instant by any decent bucc or swash. BUT dispel would be really great (even though march already has that but fan and pete share a super strike so it's not out of the range of possibility.)
Keep the jobu's drain, it is actually useful for recovery. For the other one, it would be nice to have a more technical power than juju, since witchdoctors rarely use that power. I suggest widows touch, very effective against buccs and swashes, and it would give the pirate something else to do instead of slow if he wants, as there's a lot a witch can do in the first round.

Community Leader
Here's the problem, even with accuracy buffs, super strikes, and/or extra spells, running multiple witchdoctor companions would be a bad idea. As you said, they're too squishy. They'd get demolished by the chains of a buffed up strength or agility based companion. Since the pirate is squishy as well, witch is forced to run at least one defensive companion to be viable (Ratbeard, Exeter, etc). They also generally run one "beater" type companion that can effectively chain (Bonnie, Baar, Nausica, Goro). I don't think a witch companion could ever fill that defensive role. They'd lack true grit, musket's ow3 would have better accuracy than readied spell 3 (even if the base accuracy got a buff). They wouldn't be able to get htl3, repel3, or fs3 like the melee defensive companions could. You *might* be able to get away with running a buffed up Carc that had a Mournsong and a Super strike (provided he got an accuracy buff and epic talent changes) as an offensive companion, but he'd still be much squishier than almost all of your other options. He'd also lack the extra utility of Baar's summons, Bonnie's heal, and Goro's reduce. In that situation, he'd have great offensive output (super + mournsong), have a minor self-heal in his drain, and have the temporary readied 3 reduce, but he'd have no other utility. Not to mention the fact that any other offensive companion could easily one round him. I'd love to see a buff from witch companions, but I don't think it'll ever be wise to run 2+ witch companions without a major overhaul to the class itself.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
anecorbie on Oct 12, 2017 wrote:
But, generally most melee and Musket players avoid a combo for that very reason; many perceive a combo as "weak". They would then have to search and find a combo that suits them.
IDK if there are many combo staffy/melee that boost off of agility or strength.
Muskets & Privs have an easier time with finding a ranged combo that works in their favor.Changing the requirement would probably mean yet more coding, but perhaps not as much as removing WH from the other 4 classes altogether.
It may seem I'm entering some special pleading for WH ( maybe I am ) I don't have that talent on my main character, but I want to get it mainly for PVE uses.
Agreed agreed. At any case, of companions, I think the Flame Dancer can be very promising with few fixes. Definitely an increase in range and accuracy. To begin with, her mournsong is probably the best power for a Witch companion beside Old Scratch's mojo increase buff. If Chantal can have two sniper shots, then surely more Witch companions are worthy of having unlimited-range attacks.