Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Editorial: Membership, Crowns or No More?

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I have been thinking very seriously on this topic. Especially with the announcement of "no story updates for the foreseeable future", which caused a lot of disappointment and anger among P101 players.
A few on these boards have decided to either cancel or not resubscribe their memberships, even I was considering no longer purchasing crowns.
Then, I thought, if everyone did this, how could Pirate101 survive?
Imagine every lost membership or non-purchase of crowns as a hole in our ship; it wouldn't stay afloat very long would it? KI has stated that resources and time are lacking for P101 game development, so take away more resources and where is P101?
I don't blame those who have canceled membership as KI hasn't been meeting the player's expectations, and that is for them to decide. Can they afford paying for a membership when the game fails to deliver ( especially in comparison with another game from the same company )?
All I wish to suggest is that if you are currently on the fence about your membership or buying crowns, to give KI 6 more months.

( really need a ship or treasure chest emoji ).

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I canceled my membership, and it was quite jarring to discover when it expired -- I couldn't sail where I wanted, couldn't do team-ups, couldn't teleport to friends, had to pay Crowns at the Transportaler, etc. Many adjustments to make because I felt I had to let that expiration happen. I can buy gift cards, or Crowns, if I want to.

I still have Crowns to spend, and I still log in to work a bit here and there. Nothing like I used to do for hours on end, though. I gave Kingsisle years of subscription payments, so that I could enjoy working on my various pirate projects, but I still kept hoping for somewhere new to explore, something new to do, something exciting to log in for. What was the result? More dungeons with cheating bosses that require teams of pirates.

What's six months more going to bring? Nothing can survive in a vacuum, certainly not casual players.

[no reason to expect a ship icon, either, I suppose, but we can still hope]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Dec 2, 2019 wrote:
I canceled my membership, and it was quite jarring to discover when it expired -- I couldn't sail where I wanted, couldn't do team-ups, couldn't teleport to friends, had to pay Crowns at the Transportaler, etc. Many adjustments to make because I felt I had to let that expiration happen. I can buy gift cards, or Crowns, if I want to.

I still have Crowns to spend, and I still log in to work a bit here and there. Nothing like I used to do for hours on end, though. I gave Kingsisle years of subscription payments, so that I could enjoy working on my various pirate projects, but I still kept hoping for somewhere new to explore, something new to do, something exciting to log in for. What was the result? More dungeons with cheating bosses that require teams of pirates.

What's six months more going to bring? Nothing can survive in a vacuum, certainly not casual players.

[no reason to expect a ship icon, either, I suppose, but we can still hope]
Sounds like Linus froze to death in the Pumpkin Patch All joking aside, I do agree that those that have canceled their memberships have a point. But to those who are still undecided, here are some questions: Is this game still fun? Are you getting play value from it?
There are those that think that a new farming dungeon is great. ( Neither of us do, but we're the minority. )

And why not wait for 6 more months? Anything can happen during that time. Side content we've been asking for, more packs? Even ( miracles happen ) more story!

Ensign
Jan 15, 2013
Right so for a while now I believe it is about time I spoke forth about this topic, I believe it's important that the Kingsisle developers for pirate101 understand my personal feelings about the games developed. I'm just going to deliver a point which could helpfully improve the game and the community as a whole.

For a while now Pirate101 hasn't been receiving many updates, of course that of which we dont currently understand the situation because it could be varying from budget or lack of ideas for a story update or focusing on Wizard101 I'm not quite sure. But moving on, I believe pirate101 is probably one of the best games that Kingsisle has developed and I personally believe this game is what made kingsisle stand out more. However throughout years time the game has been slowly beginning to die off mainly because of development and lack of updates. Which makes me as a person quite sad after the amount of money I have spent on this game because of the pure enjoyment that I receive from it. I would like speak forth about how you could improve the game just from simple updates every now and then.

SUGGESTIONS:

The main thing which I believe everyone wants aside from story updates, is just new bosses to farm and companion promotions. If kingsisle was to mainly focus on this instead of trying to come up with a new campaign line I believe it would make the game a lot more enjoyable for the community and it would make it more challenging. After all the new obsidian key bosses are absolutely amazing and It definitely brought attention back from the fan base. Just those types of updates some how managed to improve the game for me and hopefully for others as well.
Kingsisle can definitely revive this game 100% sure, and I think if they simply just put some time and ideas into it they would bring back this game for sure. And not only that they would be receiving a lot more money from these updates than from mobile games (which I assume you guys are doing because I haven't been paying attention to them lately.) Pirate101 and Wizard101 are the main souce of income for kingsisle and leaving Pirate101 to fade off is not good way to improve your company at all. These to games are very important for the companies growth and overall status. If a developer reads this please hear out your communities plead.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I canceled two of my three subscriptions to P101 last year. I just couldn't justify throwing good money after bad when we get cheating bosses for the top level players and nothing. Zippo. Zilch for mid-level and those approaching the level cap. If they'd raised the level cap, increased the gold limits, given us something to do but fight the same fights ad nauseum I might have been able to justify keeping one of the two that went. With the sickening announcement that we don't matter any more than a speck of fly doo to KI, I'm thinking hard thoughts about my final account.

The new pack helped a little tiny bit, but only a little bit. I'm nearing retirement age; I need to consider where my entertainment budget is going to give the most bang for the buck, and P101 doesn't look like it's going to do that. If I decide to slash the final account, I could still buy crowns occasionally, but wow. I hate to see the better game get neglected like this, but I'll admit to playing more W101 lately because there's just more to do and see and explore. So I spend my money there, and they get more attention and updates, but I spend there because they get more attention and updates. It's a vicious cycle, but KI doesn't seem interested in breaking out of it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I don't disagree with what both of you are saying - you do have very good reasons for canceling membership. But I was addressing those players who were yet undecided about this subject.
KI did say "no more story line for the foreseeable future", they didn't say "no more updates at all", we may yet get significant QoL updates in the new year; perhaps even those side content we've been asking for.
Ki also didn't say "no more story line is planned, ever. " Many things can happen to this game in 6 months, including story-line ( miracles can happen, right? ).
I'm going to continue to show my support for this game by buying crowns as needed, this is one player willing to give revenue so that my favorite game can continue.
Not yet willing to abandon that Pumpkin Patch!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
jackstar4321 on Dec 3, 2019 wrote:
Right so for a while now I believe it is about time I spoke forth about this topic, I believe it's important that the Kingsisle developers for pirate101 understand my personal feelings about the games developed. I'm just going to deliver a point which could helpfully improve the game and the community as a whole.

For a while now Pirate101 hasn't been receiving many updates, of course that of which we dont currently understand the situation because it could be varying from budget or lack of ideas for a story update or focusing on Wizard101 I'm not quite sure. But moving on, I believe pirate101 is probably one of the best games that Kingsisle has developed and I personally believe this game is what made kingsisle stand out more. However throughout years time the game has been slowly beginning to die off mainly because of development and lack of updates. Which makes me as a person quite sad after the amount of money I have spent on this game because of the pure enjoyment that I receive from it. I would like speak forth about how you could improve the game just from simple updates every now and then.

SUGGESTIONS:

The main thing which I believe everyone wants aside from story updates, is just new bosses to farm and companion promotions. If kingsisle was to mainly focus on this instead of trying to come up with a new campaign line I believe it would make the game a lot more enjoyable for the community and it would make it more challenging. After all the new obsidian key bosses are absolutely amazing and It definitely brought attention back from the fan base. Just those types of updates some how managed to improve the game for me and hopefully for others as well.
Kingsisle can definitely revive this game 100% sure, and I think if they simply just put some time and ideas into it they would bring back this game for sure. And not only that they would be receiving a lot more money from these updates than from mobile games (which I assume you guys are doing because I haven't been paying attention to them lately.) Pirate101 and Wizard101 are the main souce of income for kingsisle and leaving Pirate101 to fade off is not good way to improve your company at all. These to games are very important for the companies growth and overall status. If a developer reads this please hear out your communities plead.
Welcome to the message boards, jackstar321! Thank you for your thoughts and input.

Ensign
Sep 22, 2012
anecorbie on Dec 4, 2019 wrote:
I don't disagree with what both of you are saying - you do have very good reasons for canceling membership. But I was addressing those players who were yet undecided about this subject.
KI did say "no more story line for the foreseeable future", they didn't say "no more updates at all", we may yet get significant QoL updates in the new year; perhaps even those side content we've been asking for.
Ki also didn't say "no more story line is planned, ever. " Many things can happen to this game in 6 months, including story-line ( miracles can happen, right? ).
I'm going to continue to show my support for this game by buying crowns as needed, this is one player willing to give revenue so that my favorite game can continue.
Oh, I've said this alright beforehand, but it seems like most people aren't very optimistic about the future. I'm going to keep holding on.

(By the way, this is TheyMayBeBears on account #2 )

There are other reasons for people cancelling their membership besides lack of content. I've ended my subscriptions on both of my accounts, not because of the lack of content, but because of real life situations. Example: Finishing up second term/first semester, lots of homework, my job, finals and tests, etc. Not everyone who's quit the game left because of content.

Lucky for me, I'm going to reward myself a month of membership come Christmas break in two weeks. You'll see the amount of players spike towards this time; it did it in the summer. Real life factors do play a toll in user activity in most online games, like what season it is.

I made a crowns payment about a week ago, so I can continue to be on these forums for a good while, but now I'm more active on Central's forums.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Dec 3, 2019 wrote:
Sounds like Linus froze to death in the Pumpkin Patch All joking aside, I do agree that those that have canceled their memberships have a point. But to those who are still undecided, here are some questions: Is this game still fun? Are you getting play value from it?
There are those that think that a new farming dungeon is great. ( Neither of us do, but we're the minority. )

And why not wait for 6 more months? Anything can happen during that time. Side content we've been asking for, more packs? Even ( miracles happen ) more story!
Yeah, it's definitely very cold in the pumpkin patch, and real estate agents are eyeing the property for a parking lot.

The game is still fun for the most part, and I will most probably still be playing in six months time, I am still finding information to add to the wiki from time to time, and if those silly Ambassadors didn't send me to Westminster Skyway once in a while, I'd miss them. I'm not quite halfway to the 500 times badge.

I honestly expected so much more from Ratbeard's Return to these forums a couple of months ago. That excitement and hope fades faster each time it is followed up by months of silence.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Duck de Death on Dec 5, 2019 wrote:
Oh, I've said this alright beforehand, but it seems like most people aren't very optimistic about the future. I'm going to keep holding on.

(By the way, this is TheyMayBeBears on account #2 )

There are other reasons for people cancelling their membership besides lack of content. I've ended my subscriptions on both of my accounts, not because of the lack of content, but because of real life situations. Example: Finishing up second term/first semester, lots of homework, my job, finals and tests, etc. Not everyone who's quit the game left because of content.

Lucky for me, I'm going to reward myself a month of membership come Christmas break in two weeks. You'll see the amount of players spike towards this time; it did it in the summer. Real life factors do play a toll in user activity in most online games, like what season it is.

I made a crowns payment about a week ago, so I can continue to be on these forums for a good while, but now I'm more active on Central's forums.
Ahoy, Duck de Death/TheyMayBeBears!
I wasn't considering those who have a casual membership, but those who had an on-going yearly membership or were Crowns players ( like myself ).
You do bring forward a good point, most young players have school or part-time jobs; therefore less time to spend on a game then they're less likely to have a continuing membership and are more often playing during school breaks.
Thank you for your input.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
anecorbie on Dec 4, 2019 wrote:
You are right, KI didn't say "no more story line is planned, ever", but they did say they would provide more story content in "bite-sized" chunks.....back in August 2017. If they cannot provide a single "bite-sized" chunk in over two years, while waiting two years to finally tell us that "no more story line for the foreseeable future".....that was the deal breaker for me.

That issue above, coupled with the fact there are certainly still resources available to crank out new mobile games that last about a year before development stops on them and the fact primary Pirate101 developers are spending more and more time on Wizard101 development, leaves little hope for myself.

Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
I'm coming back for 2020. I took a long break from P101. I plan on getting a 12 month membership for the holidays. At the very least I would like to complete the story on one pirate. I know I could just watch a play through but I want to experience it start to finish myself. Any extra time will be put into best gear farming an perhaps other classes. don't shutdown P101 anytime soon. I'm not through with it yet haha!

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Marleybonian Myth ... on Dec 6, 2019 wrote:
I'm coming back for 2020. I took a long break from P101. I plan on getting a 12 month membership for the holidays. At the very least I would like to complete the story on one pirate. I know I could just watch a play through but I want to experience it start to finish myself. Any extra time will be put into best gear farming an perhaps other classes. don't shutdown P101 anytime soon. I'm not through with it yet haha!
Me neither! My patience feels on the verge of giving, but I refuse to leave the Ship! Call it overly optimistic, but I still have hope! Twelve Days of the Spiral, people! Let's see what's in there before we continue our low spirits.

Ensign
Sep 06, 2016
First of all, I want to thank this amazing community. I learn something wonderful from all of you about the game that I love every time I look something up or just curl up to read the forums. It's also been quite disheartening of late, as is so eloquently stated by all in the posts above. What stands out most of all in my mind, however, is the absolute love that we players have for this beautiful game.

I am one of those casual players who was on the fence. I played W101 years ago with my family and had popped into Pirates a couple of times to look around, but hadn't really gotten hooked until a year or so ago. Now, I find myself thinking about crafting ideas while I'm doing housework, which companions to use now that I'm getting shot at in Cool Ranch, researching battle pets, etc. I've also noticed that when I do log into W101, if at all, it's only for the dailies to earn a few crowns to spend here in Pirates.

I absolutely love this game, and your editorial has helped me to realize just how much. Your optimism has inspired me, and I have happily upgraded from "see how it goes" to "I'm here to stay", as I am not willing to give up either.

*Plants herself in the Pumpkin Patch and hands everyone a hot cocoa* You're right, it is cold out here, but the view is amazing :)

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
If there's no story updates by the end of 2020 then I'm leaving.

It pains me to say it but that's the truth.

I miss the days when updates were frequent and had worlds, nowadays there's an occasional update and there's no new worlds. 2014 was the year a lot of people left. After a while we FINALLY got a sneak peak at something new, a Vadima's Vision with a suspicious looking rock, we all were hyped...and then we found out that it was a HOUSE. 2015 had a singular, tiny update. Then finally in 2016 we got a new world, however, it was rushed and if I'm being completely honest....a disappointment. We haven't gotten any new worlds since.

If Kingisle can make another update to the story, that would be terrific and if it starts to be at a more frequent rate, the player base would increase. If they simply lack a lot of people/have a small budget, then they could expand off a previous world. We still don't know what the rest of Monquista is like. Just something to keep the player base on their toes for more than around 5 days

There's hope for Pirate101.

Petty Officer
Oct 31, 2012
I will keep my membership. But IMO what the crown shop is selling isn't really worth buying. While Black Annie and Verminus are cool they cant replace Bonnie and Ratbeard. Now if they want people too spend crowns a crown sale would be nice. Some of the stuff is cool but not worth spending that kind of money on a game that apparently doesn't have a new storyline in the foreseeable future. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money that's just the cost of doing business. Happy Holidays.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Little Green Tree on Dec 6, 2019 wrote:
First of all, I want to thank this amazing community. I learn something wonderful from all of you about the game that I love every time I look something up or just curl up to read the forums. It's also been quite disheartening of late, as is so eloquently stated by all in the posts above. What stands out most of all in my mind, however, is the absolute love that we players have for this beautiful game.

I am one of those casual players who was on the fence. I played W101 years ago with my family and had popped into Pirates a couple of times to look around, but hadn't really gotten hooked until a year or so ago. Now, I find myself thinking about crafting ideas while I'm doing housework, which companions to use now that I'm getting shot at in Cool Ranch, researching battle pets, etc. I've also noticed that when I do log into W101, if at all, it's only for the dailies to earn a few crowns to spend here in Pirates.

I absolutely love this game, and your editorial has helped me to realize just how much. Your optimism has inspired me, and I have happily upgraded from "see how it goes" to "I'm here to stay", as I am not willing to give up either.

*Plants herself in the Pumpkin Patch and hands everyone a hot cocoa* You're right, it is cold out here, but the view is amazing :)
Thank you, thank you and welcome to the message boards and P101, Little Green Tree!

Ensign
Jun 06, 2011
We've been without a crown sale since August. Countless "upgrade member and crowns for 12 months", no crowns sale. Pirate101 is now only arguably somewhat afloat because of the fanbase, not KI's updates. There's simply nothing left to do in a game like Pirate whose only post-game purpose is PvP or farming. All of that is shallow though. No rewards for PvP, and you farm for the items you want, but it won't do anything since you cannot put it to sufficient and fulfilling good use. Wizard101, on the contrast, has an avidly vivacious scene of PvP, pets, crafting, fishing, photomancy, so much more than her poor sister game could ever dream of since KI's abandonment of the game.

I agree, if Kingsisle doesn't show the least bit of fidelity to the game that the fans have already besought them for, cancelling memberships is probably worth it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Jacob LotusCaller on Dec 10, 2019 wrote:
We've been without a crown sale since August. Countless "upgrade member and crowns for 12 months", no crowns sale. Pirate101 is now only arguably somewhat afloat because of the fanbase, not KI's updates. There's simply nothing left to do in a game like Pirate whose only post-game purpose is PvP or farming. All of that is shallow though. No rewards for PvP, and you farm for the items you want, but it won't do anything since you cannot put it to sufficient and fulfilling good use. Wizard101, on the contrast, has an avidly vivacious scene of PvP, pets, crafting, fishing, photomancy, so much more than her poor sister game could ever dream of since KI's abandonment of the game.

I agree, if Kingsisle doesn't show the least bit of fidelity to the game that the fans have already besought them for, cancelling memberships is probably worth it.
There is always a crowns sale during the 12 Days of the Spiral; and this is one thing that is linked, when W101 gets a crowns sale so does P101 and vice versa.

Ranked PVP is something that has been dying over the 3+ years since VA2. I haven't been a fanatical user of this side content, although I did enjoy an occasional bout. Do we really want a system like W101 PVP?
You're right, side content that W101 has ought to be implemented here, it would help immenselty.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
When I read the last producer's letter and then this one's, I was so disappointed and had to come to a decision of whether or not I leave, or stay and continue this ridiculous waiting game.

I'm staying, but I just cannot bring myself to invest in this. I've bought a good amount of crowns lately. It was for ONE area I forgot to buy so I can finally say I've bought the entire game. And I'm satisfied with that, because now I can roam freely without worrying about that expiration that comes with a membership.

I hope and pray we get something good next year, something that's not a reskin or cheap boss fight or rushed and bugged beyond repair (I'm looking at you, Dreadnaught, which is misspelled and should be "Dreadnought" :P)

I'm always a bit more active around the holidays, like for the 12 Days and plus the group plunders drop christmas housing so I can record it on the wiki. But that's all a player with 6 maxed players can do - farm, pvp (which I hate, so no), help others, or polish their characters. I'm trying to do that but pet training is testing my patience. The hours and crowns to spend to finish it are insane.

Anyway, I hope people to stay because we are the ones that are keeping this game alive at this point. I ran into a pirate earlier today that said something very interesting:

"Pirate101 isn't dead, it's just empty."

Ensign
Sep 06, 2016
Thank you so much for the warm welcome Anecorbie, I truly appreciate it!

I agree about the crown sales. Halloween especially felt like a missed opportunity not only for KI to generate revenue, but also for those of us hoping to add to our crew during the Spooky Companion sale, (which of course never happened) or for people who wanted to buy the new packs.

I'm optimistic though. We did get Yule, (and a crown sale, or was it two?) a new Charity mount and the Fa-La-La Llama! Thank you KI! I'm happy to see the Yule companions back too, and am looking forward to trying out my new crewmates when life slows down a bit and I can get back to working for the great Sheriff Cogburn

Happy Holidays, everyone!