Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How would you change Pirate 101's combat?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 27, 2015
We know that Kingsisle has no plans for more story content. However, there are other areas they might be able to work on and refine!

So at this point, what are your thoughts on the combat in this game? What do you like; what would you change?

I would want to see something like an action point system so players could move and shoot in the same turn. I think that could make combat more flexible and allow for more interesting strategies.

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
I'd say I'm pretty happy with the current combat system despite its faults. I like your idea about moving and shooting, maybe it could be introduced as a power muskets could use. The problem with it though is I don't think the engine supports a combat action that requires 2 clicks. No power in the game requires more then just selecting the target I believe. That would definitely be a cool functionality for them to add into the future to introduce more unique abilities, maybe even as an action point system like you described.

As for other things I'd change:

Get rid of 3x3 summons, man in PvP or PvE I just wanna die whenever someone summons 9 units at once, its like they singlehandedly added 10 minutes to that battle just by doing it. Remove it or make some kinda change so that they don't take up so much time. The one good thing about them permanently removing champion weapons from the shop for no reason is that I don't have to deal with trees anymore.

Witchdoctor needs a full revamp, the scratch buffs were a band-aid fix to a bigger problem, and only made musketeers and privateers much more powerful then they needed to be, there's a reason Scratch is banned/restricted in pretty much every PvP tournament. I'd definitely like to see witch buffed to the point that the scratch buffs could be removed/nerfed/bannedinPvP, maybe all Witchdoctors get a passive that give them +25% spellpower or something like that, nerfing witchhunter since it cripples them, and maybe adjusting mojo blade/reaver so it ignores shields and witchhunter but can't critical or something like that. One of Witchdoctor's biggest weaknesses is that if you end up next to them they're pretty much screwed because of Witchhunter so I feel like that would make a pretty big difference.

Add more exciting new powers: We've gotten SIX skeleton key bosses in the last 3 years (7 if you include Krampus) and not a single new power was added, just repeats. The only new powers we've gotten since 2016 were so dead on arrival I doubt any of you even remember what they're called. (Blazing Berm, Blackhawk Snake Charm, Blackhawk Birdcall, Blackhawk Crustacean Cajoler) Fun fact I didn't actually know the Blackhawk Birdcall existed until right now.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
Witch and witch companions need a revamp, it's a serious issue that out of every witchdoctor companion in the game, the only ones worth using are Old Scratch and Mormo, and Mormo is useless without Scratch. too low accuracy to chain, too low health to survive if buccaneers get next to them, etc. Nobody used Scratch before the buffs either, but I'm down for them to remove those buffs if it meant witch could actually compete in the game.

Honestly I'd rather witch hunter just get removed from the game. Why does a power exist that works as a first strike/quick draw for anyone to hit a magic user, not to mention it cutting that power in half.

I liked the idea of the 25% passive spellpower buff, as it stands witch's damage without scratch is pretty low compared to other classes. While I agree that scratch buffs are the true issue of the game I'd also like to see witchdoctor companions straightup useable without the use of breaking the game