For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

No appearance change for the spirits?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
anecorbie on Nov 4, 2019 wrote:
That is "pay to win" thinking, there are some companions that have a slight advantage ( like Pack & Bundle ) but the most powerful are the main quest companions; and that's how it should be.
Also I'm not saying that they have to be the greatest in the world, but all of the companions in the Spirits of Yuletide bundle are pretty bad in terms of epic talents. Like as in they are way low down on the bottom of the list. They should at least be pretty good.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
anecorbie on Nov 4, 2019 wrote:
That is "pay to win" thinking, there are some companions that have a slight advantage ( like Pack & Bundle ) but the most powerful are the main quest companions; and that's how it should be.
So basically I'm not saying they have top tier companions, but with all modesty I expect an above average quality fro companions I paid for. I like the game as it is with the quest companions mainly being the best. Although some bundle companions are better. For example, Nausica is arguably the best musketeer. But anyway, I think that all crowns only companions should be above average. All of the spirits except the Spirit of Returning are very bad. As in they are easily the worst pack companions. Therefore, they deserve a buff to make them on par or better than other pack companions. Because the Spirit of Returning and Giving are pretty bad for their class. They seem to be the worst crowns only companion honestly.

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
58
glitterway123 on Oct 27, 2019 wrote:
Ghosts ye say?
Well, why would they change?
Why would zombies and skeletons change? Well, they have in the game! I even know of a ghost that changed appearance in a promotion (Skyfire the bison, I think was his name). I think the Spirits of Yuletide should change, I mean just let them reuse costumes from Sergeant Shepherd or the cat pirate from the Boochbeard bundle. Not that hard. They were able to reuse Dead Mike, Nanu Nanu, Bosun Budd, and a skeletal crossbowman’s costumes for the pack, why not with the Spirits?

Ensign
Jun 29, 2012
21
anecorbie on Nov 4, 2019 wrote:
That is "pay to win" thinking, there are some companions that have a slight advantage ( like Pack & Bundle ) but the most powerful are the main quest companions; and that's how it should be.
Yeah you're right. This is the only way to get a cat pirate and mouse corsair companions so I wanted them to be great. I guess how they are currently is enough for me especially for the price of the set, again we just need to get them some fancy promotion outfits and id be fine. also the spirit of returning does appear to have a couple bugs left. he has no critical music and only has one critical attack animation. now the mouse corsairs only had one critical animation to begin with so they are completely fine but the dog pirates have 3 animations normally. i think if they were to fix this they should give him the survey dog critical theme just to make him stand out from the other dog pirate companions you can get.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
234
TheyMayBeBears on Nov 5, 2019 wrote:
Why would zombies and skeletons change? Well, they have in the game! I even know of a ghost that changed appearance in a promotion (Skyfire the bison, I think was his name). I think the Spirits of Yuletide should change, I mean just let them reuse costumes from Sergeant Shepherd or the cat pirate from the Boochbeard bundle. Not that hard. They were able to reuse Dead Mike, Nanu Nanu, Bosun Budd, and a skeletal crossbowman’s costumes for the pack, why not with the Spirits?
Again, destroyed my argument. Not that it was a good argument....

Petty Officer
Feb 06, 2018
89
TheyMayBeBears on Nov 5, 2019 wrote:
Why would zombies and skeletons change? Well, they have in the game! I even know of a ghost that changed appearance in a promotion (Skyfire the bison, I think was his name). I think the Spirits of Yuletide should change, I mean just let them reuse costumes from Sergeant Shepherd or the cat pirate from the Boochbeard bundle. Not that hard. They were able to reuse Dead Mike, Nanu Nanu, Bosun Budd, and a skeletal crossbowman’s costumes for the pack, why not with the Spirits?
i don't think zombies are going to change

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
AntonioXavier1773 on Nov 6, 2019 wrote:
Yeah you're right. This is the only way to get a cat pirate and mouse corsair companions so I wanted them to be great. I guess how they are currently is enough for me especially for the price of the set, again we just need to get them some fancy promotion outfits and id be fine. also the spirit of returning does appear to have a couple bugs left. he has no critical music and only has one critical attack animation. now the mouse corsairs only had one critical animation to begin with so they are completely fine but the dog pirates have 3 animations normally. i think if they were to fix this they should give him the survey dog critical theme just to make him stand out from the other dog pirate companions you can get.
Well it doesn't have to be. Just make them better than they are. I'm not asking for a godly companion.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
AntonioXavier1773 on Nov 6, 2019 wrote:
Yeah you're right. This is the only way to get a cat pirate and mouse corsair companions so I wanted them to be great. I guess how they are currently is enough for me especially for the price of the set, again we just need to get them some fancy promotion outfits and id be fine. also the spirit of returning does appear to have a couple bugs left. he has no critical music and only has one critical attack animation. now the mouse corsairs only had one critical animation to begin with so they are completely fine but the dog pirates have 3 animations normally. i think if they were to fix this they should give him the survey dog critical theme just to make him stand out from the other dog pirate companions you can get.
There is a fine line between "pay to win" and asking for quality in companions. The companions in this pack are bad in any standards other than the spirit of receiving. I just want them to be better, not top tier.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
AntonioXavier1773 on Nov 6, 2019 wrote:
Yeah you're right. This is the only way to get a cat pirate and mouse corsair companions so I wanted them to be great. I guess how they are currently is enough for me especially for the price of the set, again we just need to get them some fancy promotion outfits and id be fine. also the spirit of returning does appear to have a couple bugs left. he has no critical music and only has one critical attack animation. now the mouse corsairs only had one critical animation to begin with so they are completely fine but the dog pirates have 3 animations normally. i think if they were to fix this they should give him the survey dog critical theme just to make him stand out from the other dog pirate companions you can get.
Especially asking for quality in companions you pay for.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
234
Isn't it a bit weird how this became a Hot Topic, or is it just me?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10123
chiliman05 on Nov 5, 2019 wrote:
So basically I'm not saying they have top tier companions, but with all modesty I expect an above average quality fro companions I paid for. I like the game as it is with the quest companions mainly being the best. Although some bundle companions are better. For example, Nausica is arguably the best musketeer. But anyway, I think that all crowns only companions should be above average. All of the spirits except the Spirit of Returning are very bad. As in they are easily the worst pack companions. Therefore, they deserve a buff to make them on par or better than other pack companions. Because the Spirit of Returning and Giving are pretty bad for their class. They seem to be the worst crowns only companion honestly.
I don't know why most players think "Well, if they're no good for PVP, then they're useless": even before their promotion I was using them and they've performed well in PVE combat.
I would rather use any of them than my Hermit Crab or Crazy Monquistador Crossbowman.

Ensign
Jun 29, 2012
21
glitterway123 on Nov 7, 2019 wrote:
Isn't it a bit weird how this became a Hot Topic, or is it just me?
I think it's a good thing. Might get us a better chance at having the spirits get updated.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
glitterway123 on Nov 7, 2019 wrote:
Isn't it a bit weird how this became a Hot Topic, or is it just me?
It is kind of.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
anecorbie on Nov 7, 2019 wrote:
I don't know why most players think "Well, if they're no good for PVP, then they're useless": even before their promotion I was using them and they've performed well in PVE combat.
I would rather use any of them than my Hermit Crab or Crazy Monquistador Crossbowman.
Also I don't doubt that you would, but my argument is that the Spirit of Yuletide companions are mostly not on par with other crowns only companions except the Spirit of Receiving. Also even in a PVE situation they are worse than most of the crowns only companions. Now I'm not asking for one of them to be able to take out an entire obsidian dungeon by themselves, but I am asking for them to be on par. I do like it when the game is fair with quest companions being best. But that said, there should be a certain level of quality for crowns only companions.

It seems only fair to get a good companion if you have to pay for them, but I'm not saying they have to be excelling in everything.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
anecorbie on Nov 7, 2019 wrote:
I don't know why most players think "Well, if they're no good for PVP, then they're useless": even before their promotion I was using them and they've performed well in PVE combat.
I would rather use any of them than my Hermit Crab or Crazy Monquistador Crossbowman.
Also just because they do well in Pre doesn't mean they can't be on par with the majority of the other crowns only companions.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
anecorbie on Nov 7, 2019 wrote:
I don't know why most players think "Well, if they're no good for PVP, then they're useless": even before their promotion I was using them and they've performed well in PVE combat.
I would rather use any of them than my Hermit Crab or Crazy Monquistador Crossbowman.
Also, very few people think in a PVP only mindset. PVP is a very small community compared to every other community.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10123
chiliman05 on Nov 11, 2019 wrote:
Also I don't doubt that you would, but my argument is that the Spirit of Yuletide companions are mostly not on par with other crowns only companions except the Spirit of Receiving. Also even in a PVE situation they are worse than most of the crowns only companions. Now I'm not asking for one of them to be able to take out an entire obsidian dungeon by themselves, but I am asking for them to be on par. I do like it when the game is fair with quest companions being best. But that said, there should be a certain level of quality for crowns only companions.

It seems only fair to get a good companion if you have to pay for them, but I'm not saying they have to be excelling in everything.
They're certainly "en par" ( correct term, French, meaning to be equal or even with ) with my other companions that lack epics. I don't know why you think yours are so bad, but maybe you gave them wrong talents/powers or use them un-stategically.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
anecorbie on Nov 14, 2019 wrote:
They're certainly "en par" ( correct term, French, meaning to be equal or even with ) with my other companions that lack epics. I don't know why you think yours are so bad, but maybe you gave them wrong talents/powers or use them un-stategically.
Yes, but that is not the point I'm arguing. I'm saying they should be on par with all the other crowns only companions.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10123
I don't know why this subject has switched from "appearance change" to "why aren't they as good as" other companions.
I think those spirits are as good as Froggo Villa, The Toreador, or Tricky Vinnie ( and those ARE crown shop companions ).

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
2002
chiliman05 on Nov 15, 2019 wrote:
Yes, but that is not the point I'm arguing. I'm saying they should be on par with all the other crowns only companions.
I agree that any companions bought in the Crown Shop should have a slight edge over free companions that we acquired through simple questing. They didn't used to be, but with the recent updates, they may not be perfect, but the Spirit companions are on a par with other Crown Shop Companions.

I don't believe we should expect all companions to have the same talent pools -- they are meant to create variety for us, to enhance gameplay.


Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
Willowydream on Nov 15, 2019 wrote:
I agree that any companions bought in the Crown Shop should have a slight edge over free companions that we acquired through simple questing. They didn't used to be, but with the recent updates, they may not be perfect, but the Spirit companions are on a par with other Crown Shop Companions.

I don't believe we should expect all companions to have the same talent pools -- they are meant to create variety for us, to enhance gameplay.

I disagree that they are on par with MOST crowns only companions (they may be on par with lower ones). Also I think they should be diverse in talent pool. However, I stand firmly behind my belief that they should have better talents. They should still. have the best talents while also being diverse.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
anecorbie on Nov 15, 2019 wrote:
I don't know why this subject has switched from "appearance change" to "why aren't they as good as" other companions.
I think those spirits are as good as Froggo Villa, The Toreador, or Tricky Vinnie ( and those ARE crown shop companions ).
I've stated numerous times I am talking about the crowns only companions. All of those can be acquired for free by being a certain class. An example of a crowns only companion for your use, is Goronado. He cannot be acquired without crowns as well as his challenge.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
Willowydream on Nov 15, 2019 wrote:
I agree that any companions bought in the Crown Shop should have a slight edge over free companions that we acquired through simple questing. They didn't used to be, but with the recent updates, they may not be perfect, but the Spirit companions are on a par with other Crown Shop Companions.

I don't believe we should expect all companions to have the same talent pools -- they are meant to create variety for us, to enhance gameplay.

Also I am not referring to crowns shop companions. I mean crowns only companions, as in companions only obtainable with crowns and no way else, such as Goronado. Goronado both can only be acquired after his challenge with crowns.

Ensign
Sep 22, 2012
17
Willowydream on Nov 15, 2019 wrote:
I agree that any companions bought in the Crown Shop should have a slight edge over free companions that we acquired through simple questing. They didn't used to be, but with the recent updates, they may not be perfect, but the Spirit companions are on a par with other Crown Shop Companions.

I don't believe we should expect all companions to have the same talent pools -- they are meant to create variety for us, to enhance gameplay.

Crown shop companions are literally bought with money. Shouldn't that make them more desirable than the dinky free-to-play companions some get? I also agree that not all companions should be top-notch, but come on. I use hard-earned money to purchase crown shop items, and I'm expecting that what I buy is appropriate for the sum of money I spent on it.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 10, 2011
297
anecorbie on Nov 15, 2019 wrote:
I don't know why this subject has switched from "appearance change" to "why aren't they as good as" other companions.
I think those spirits are as good as Froggo Villa, The Toreador, or Tricky Vinnie ( and those ARE crown shop companions ).
There is a well defined difference between crown shop companions and crowns only companions. A lot of the crowns shop companions can be earned for free by being a certain class (for example, in the case of all three companions mentioned above, all of them can be acquired for free by being swashbuckler). But the difference in the companions I am referring to, is that they are crown shop companions that can ONLY be acquired with crowns. There is no other way to get the ones I am referring to. For example, Bosun Budd has to be bought with crowns to acquire him.