Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The many Easter Eggs in Pirate101

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
seeing that gortez can be equated to cortez, you could probably argue his crown shop counterpart goronado can be equated to coronado (another explorer)

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
anecorbie on May 7, 2020 wrote:
Cao Tzu is based on the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu. Still, I say there are enough references to both cultures for MooShu to not be a single culture reference.
The great turtle's name is Maruzame ( yes, sounds Japanese ) The Moodha ( Boodah , forgive spelling, please ) Philosophy came from India. ( Possibly by way of Tibet ).
So there are other cultures besides Japan represented.
I still can’t pinpoint where Maruzame is from because while his name sounds Japanese, there aren’t any turtles in Japanese folklore like it. The two closest ones are from Hindu and Chinese mythology. I’m assuming it’s the Chinese one because of how Maruzame has several cherry blossom trees on their back. I never said it was a single reference to Japan, I said mainly.

Also while there are two versions of the Kirin, the one in p101 seems to be the Japanese kind. The Chinese depiction of Kirin shows them being partially covered in fire, while the Japanese one does not.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
caleb10104 on May 7, 2020 wrote:
seeing that gortez can be equated to cortez, you could probably argue his crown shop counterpart goronado can be equated to coronado (another explorer)
I wonder why KI didn't include a Bull Monquistador called Cabeza De Vaca, it's such an obvious pun.

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
L. Smollet : Captain Smollet from treasure island.

Ensign Livesy: doc. Livesy from treasure island.

Ratbeard: Most say he's based off blackbeard, but I say he's based off: Captain Silver from treasure island

Bobby Bones: Billy Bones, I think, from treasure island.

Boochbeard: Blackbeard.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Amazingshot123 on May 12, 2020 wrote:

Ratbeard: Most say he's based off blackbeard, but I say he's based off: Captain Silver from treasure island

Is Boochbeard dark and scary? Sorry, I don't see that. Booch ( to bodge ) beard is a unique personality. It means he's a goof - up, which Blackbeard certainly wasn't.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Amazingshot123 on May 12, 2020 wrote:

What about Black Bart, based off of the actual Black Bart?

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
So, after researching, I found this:

Papa legbones: based off a witchdoctor from around 1700's, called Papa Legba or something like that.

They is also Calico Jack, a pirate from the 1700's, but I can't remember who was based off him .

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Amazingshot123 on May 27, 2020 wrote:
So, after researching, I found this:

Papa legbones: based off a witchdoctor from around 1700's, called Papa Legba or something like that.

They is also Calico Jack, a pirate from the 1700's, but I can't remember who was based off him .
Calico Jack Rackham, linked with Ann Bonney and Mary Read.

Ensign
Aug 23, 2016
I caught the Doctor Who reference in Marleybone.

Ratbeard is looking at crates in a warehouse, "Fish fingers and custard? who eats fish fingers and custard?"

Matt Smith's doctor ate that very thing in his first episode.

Ensign
Apr 22, 2016
The pet Darkling Duck is based off of Darkwing Duck

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
English Bill is based off of the English Bill from the movie Unforgiven.

Ensign
Aug 23, 2016
Nobody, I mean nobody caught the Firefly references in Cool Ranch and Mooshu?

Captain Reynolds - Malcolm Reynolds (Captain of the Serenity)
Mr. & Mrs Washburne - Wash & Zoe (Pilot and First Officer)
Cobb - Jayne Cobb
Doctor Tam - Simon Tam (Ship's Doctor)

It's been awhile since I've been in Cool Ranch, but I do believe River Tam and Kaylee (Engineer) are referenced as well.