Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The problem With the Smuggler's Arena

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Scrip and Scrip alone is not a suitable reward for an hour-long run of a very difficult Housing Instance. The challenge is definitely there, but the payoff is very much lacking.

The Smuggler's Arena needs unique gear and items in order to be comparable to the many Housing Instances that exist over in Wizard101.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Mar 9, 2021 wrote:
Scrip and Scrip alone is not a suitable reward for an hour-long run of a very difficult Housing Instance. The challenge is definitely there, but the payoff is very much lacking.

The Smuggler's Arena needs unique gear and items in order to be comparable to the many Housing Instances that exist over in Wizard101.
There's hardly a break between fights that would allow you to pick up chests, however, having drops at the end (if you are able to complete it) might be an incentive.
Scrip not enough? Ha! anywhere from 400 - 500 (and a bit more)! Better than grinding ships or doing ranked pvp(if you don't want to do pvp) this is a better option to gain the scrip needed.
Why do our gauntlets need to reflect W101? They don't have extra ways to gain arena tickets (our equilivant to scrip).

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Lookit Light on Mar 9, 2021 wrote:

You're right, I have the arena and I dont even have the badge granted for completing it 10 times ...

Nobody is interested, when people farm (max level pirates anyway) its either Kane, Obsidian bosses or tower of Moo Manchu.

Also scrip became easier to get, and for a noob like me who doesnt pvp, scrip is barely ever needed.

Unless KI adds items in scrip shops that dont require pvp ranks.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
In my opinion, scrip should have been left as a PvP only currency. The PvP arena is severely lacking "fresh blood" for several combination of reasons, but obtaining PvP currency through PvE means is one of them.

Smuggler's Arena remains as one of the best ways to obtain scrip, so I agree that providing new/better rewards should be implemented (but if so, also removing the scrip drops at the same time).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Oran from Urz on Mar 18, 2021 wrote:
In my opinion, scrip should have been left as a PvP only currency. The PvP arena is severely lacking "fresh blood" for several combination of reasons, but obtaining PvP currency through PvE means is one of them.

Smuggler's Arena remains as one of the best ways to obtain scrip, so I agree that providing new/better rewards should be implemented (but if so, also removing the scrip drops at the same time).
I like the fact that scrip can be gained outside the PVP arena. There are some players that severely dislike PVP.
And since hunting ships & sinking them is the only other way of gaining scrip;( besides the Smuggler's Arena) this gives them an option. Some aren't interested in the gear or weapons in the Brawlin' Hall and just want to get the items in the Black Market.
Making scrip a PVP only reward won't entice them into playing Ranked PVP.

Ensign
Nov 26, 2011
Oran from Urz on Mar 18, 2021 wrote:

Scrip is intentionally not bound to any specific playstyle. Even if we completely detached scrip from PvE activities, the problem is that all Black Market vendors use it as a currency. I'm certainly not surrendering that lovely ship cabin to PvP-only sources.

But even if that wasn't an issue, scrip is the main selling point of the Smuggler's Arena. Removing the reason people bought an item with real-world money is a terrible marketing decision.

I suggest PvP award and use Arena Tickets like in Wizard101. Retroactively "split" arena tickets from scrip so that nobody loses the currency they've grinded for, and then make all current and future PvP items use arena tickets. PvP could continue to drop scrip so that it remains an available source.

- Fearless Charles

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
I just wish it gave a higher amount of scrip as I feel as though I can make more elsewhere both easier and faster.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Takhethis on Mar 20, 2021 wrote:
I just wish it gave a higher amount of scrip as I feel as though I can make more elsewhere both easier and faster.
Easier? Yes, our ships can now just blast those boss ships out of the sky! Faster? With boss ships only dropping small amounts (the greatest amount I ever received is 12 scrip) how much scrip can you gain in one - two hours hunting ships? When in the same amount of time you can get 400 - 500 scrip (if you complete the arena).
I've hunted ships and I have an arena (almost have 25 runs) and have bought Pirate Nightmare packs; all of these things have contributed to my gaining both the smuggler's jacket & boots as well as the Deluxe pirate retreat. (Not to mention scads of room dividers....)

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
anecorbie on Mar 22, 2021 wrote:
Easier? Yes, our ships can now just blast those boss ships out of the sky! Faster? With boss ships only dropping small amounts (the greatest amount I ever received is 12 scrip) how much scrip can you gain in one - two hours hunting ships? When in the same amount of time you can get 400 - 500 scrip (if you complete the arena).
I've hunted ships and I have an arena (almost have 25 runs) and have bought Pirate Nightmare packs; all of these things have contributed to my gaining both the smuggler's jacket & boots as well as the Deluxe pirate retreat. (Not to mention scads of room dividers....)
I do obsidian boss key runs back to back with different people, generally running three bosses per trip in. Such bosses often enough drop 100 scrip. As such, I believe I can get scrip faster running the bosses than I can obtain from Smuggler's Arena in the same amount of time.

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 22, 2021 wrote:
As someone who grinded tons of scrip out of the Smuggler Arena back in the day and even has the 100 run badge I’d say the scrip drops could use a buff. The real turning point for it was when the skeleton key bosses came out, each boss chest rolls either 10 or 100 scrip and from what I remember the 100 drop was fairly consistent.
Just grinding the bosses put all 3 of my pirates into the thousands range and was the reason I was able to spend 15k scrip on the crummy champions outfit. With a good group it definitely is faster then smuggler (if I recall correctly you can win the brass monkey battle in like 2 quick rounds) and the keys tend to replenish themselves.
It’s important to note that when smuggler was released it was the only source of scrip along with the measly ship loot. Now with key bosses, ranked, and dreadnaught, doing an hour long dungeon just for say, the low end reward of 460 scrip and nothing else is not at all worth it these days when you can get scrip and boss loot and gold from key bosses all at once.

With the champion weapons removed for 3 years now frankly the rewards you can buy with scrip are fairly outdated they may as well double the scrip reward from smugglers

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Friendly Jesse Pew on Mar 24, 2021 wrote:
As someone who grinded tons of scrip out of the Smuggler Arena back in the day and even has the 100 run badge I’d say the scrip drops could use a buff. The real turning point for it was when the skeleton key bosses came out, each boss chest rolls either 10 or 100 scrip and from what I remember the 100 drop was fairly consistent.
Just grinding the bosses put all 3 of my pirates into the thousands range and was the reason I was able to spend 15k scrip on the crummy champions outfit. With a good group it definitely is faster then smuggler (if I recall correctly you can win the brass monkey battle in like 2 quick rounds) and the keys tend to replenish themselves.
It’s important to note that when smuggler was released it was the only source of scrip along with the measly ship loot. Now with key bosses, ranked, and dreadnaught, doing an hour long dungeon just for say, the low end reward of 460 scrip and nothing else is not at all worth it these days when you can get scrip and boss loot and gold from key bosses all at once.

With the champion weapons removed for 3 years now frankly the rewards you can buy with scrip are fairly outdated they may as well double the scrip reward from smugglers
I didn't realize the Obsidian bosses were dropping scrip: also I forgot to mention the Smuggler's Cove house as a source for scrip. (either gold or scrip - it's random.)
Hopefully, the new acquisition, Ranked PVP (& it's rewards) will be looked at and updated.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
Friendly Jesse Pew on Mar 24, 2021 wrote:

With a bit of luck I can single kill the Brass Monkey on the first turn without damage assistance, so its a one turn fight that sometimes extends out to two. Likewise, the duck is a two turn fight that sometimes extends out to three. The others take longer, but running Captain Blood along with the first two fights isn't bad per time in, nor is swapping out Captain Blood for Blight Beard.

Ensign
Feb 18, 2017
Yeah I agree, even if there is gear and better rewards put into the arena, I would also like it to drop from 1000-1500 instead of 500. I personally believe for all that work, 500 scrip is not worth it, so 1000-1500 would be more suitable for sure. Also having a small chance to get a cool scrip mount from it too.
-Brave Andy Galway, Level 70

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
epicgamer12346 on Mar 29, 2021 wrote:
Yeah I agree, even if there is gear and better rewards put into the arena, I would also like it to drop from 1000-1500 instead of 500. I personally believe for all that work, 500 scrip is not worth it, so 1000-1500 would be more suitable for sure. Also having a small chance to get a cool scrip mount from it too.
A special mount (or pet) that is unique to the arena, would be a good idea. I think that 1000 scrip is too much how about 700 - 900?

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
epicgamer12346 on Mar 29, 2021 wrote:
Well its only 10 fights, so 600 - 800 sounds fair to me. I don't know if I agree with a mount being placed in there, but it would be nice if Smuggler's Arena gave credit to one's ranked PvP amount so that those who want rank required to obtain items would have a route available for them to go that doesn't involve being forced to play PvP.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Takhethis on Mar 30, 2021 wrote:
Well its only 10 fights, so 600 - 800 sounds fair to me. I don't know if I agree with a mount being placed in there, but it would be nice if Smuggler's Arena gave credit to one's ranked PvP amount so that those who want rank required to obtain items would have a route available for them to go that doesn't involve being forced to play PvP.
That would be as bad as boosting . It wouldn't be fair to the ligit PVP competitor. This isn't ranked PVP, but a gauntlet you buy in the crown shop without having to be a member or buy a pass for crowns.
If you want the goodies in the Brawlin' Hall, then you must PVP.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I grabbed a lot of scrip out of the SA back in the day. Wouldn't object to the rewards being boosted a bit, naturally.

-Indigo