Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A few comments after a few matches

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
So I just finished 3 1v1 ranked duels on my Buccaneer and have a few comments on what I have seen so far.

First why was the battle board changed? The brawling hall that we have all come to know and love seemed like the perfect battle board in my opinion. It was not too big but not too small either, and the pillars + boxes allowed you to strategically move around the place as to not get hit by long range attacks. Or you could strategically place your companions in such a way that you are mostly protected. It gave more strategy to the duel. The new board for 1v1 feels much smaller and without any obstacles it makes some long range attacks really troublesome. This is not a big problem though, just will take some time to get use to the new board. I feel like if the brawling hall board wasn't broken, why fix it?

Second, the new first turn freeze mechanic. I like it. It stops that first turn Nausica charge that is so strong in the current live game with one fortress. So you give the opposite side at least one turn to defend themselves. Without this new freeze mechanic, Musketeers would get rushed first turn with Nausica + fort, so thank you for this KI, it was a good first turn solution.

With that said, it doesn't come without its disadvantages. That first turn freeze seems to give a bigger advantage to ranged units than ever before (coupled together with the lack of obstacles and pillars). I will give what happened in my first duel as an example. The opponent Musketeer player went first and on the first turn he hit my player character with two sniper shots (Chantal plus his own) taking me down to 1600 health turn one. On my turn I couldn't move yet and there are no pillars, so all I could do was heal since I unluckily didn't get any shields that turn. The next turn the opponent did the same thing, double sniper shot and took me down to about 500 health. Luckily he didn't have a Nausica or another unit with an infinite range attack or he could have just charged me that same turn and killed me.

See how unfair that sounds? As a Buck, I don't have units with infinite range attacks, so all I can really do first turn while frozen is buff or shield while my opponent can attack me with his long range while frozen. If I get unlucky and don't get a fort or hide on my turn, I get hit by other long range attacks before I can do anything.

What I recommend is if you are applying a "frozen tide" effect to the first full turn, to also apply an "infernal wave" effect. So now melee units can't move to attack you first turn, but ranged units can't long range and attack you either. So for the first turn both sides can just buff or shield themselves. As it is now, the melee units are at a severe disadvantage turn one specially if you go second to your opponent.

I have other points to discuss, specially in regards to my experiences with Doubloons and some bugs with buff stacking so far, but running out of space here. I'll come back later :)

Developer
Alex Hawkins on Jul 16, 2015 wrote:
So I just finished 3 1v1 ranked duels on my Buccaneer and have a few comments on what I have seen so far.

First why was the battle board changed? The brawling hall that we have all come to know and love seemed like the perfect battle board in my opinion. It was not too big but not too small either, and the pillars + boxes allowed you to strategically move around the place as to not get hit by long range attacks. Or you could strategically place your companions in such a way that you are mostly protected. It gave more strategy to the duel. The new board for 1v1 feels much smaller and without any obstacles it makes some long range attacks really troublesome. This is not a big problem though, just will take some time to get use to the new board. I feel like if the brawling hall board wasn't broken, why fix it?

Second, the new first turn freeze mechanic. I like it. It stops that first turn Nausica charge that is so strong in the current live game with one fortress. So you give the opposite side at least one turn to defend themselves. Without this new freeze mechanic, Musketeers would get rushed first turn with Nausica + fort, so thank you for this KI, it was a good first turn solution.

With that said, it doesn't come without its disadvantages. That first turn freeze seems to give a bigger advantage to ranged units than ever before (coupled together with the lack of obstacles and pillars). I will give what happened in my first duel as an example. The opponent Musketeer player went first and on the first turn he hit my player character with two sniper shots (Chantal plus his own) taking me down to 1600 health turn one. On my turn I couldn't move yet and there are no pillars, so all I could do was heal since I unluckily didn't get any shields that turn. The next turn the opponent did the same thing, double sniper shot and took me down to about 500 health. Luckily he didn't have a Nausica or another unit with an infinite range attack or he could have just charged me that same turn and killed me.

See how unfair that sounds? As a Buck, I don't have units with infinite range attacks, so all I can really do first turn while frozen is buff or shield while my opponent can attack me with his long range while frozen. If I get unlucky and don't get a fort or hide on my turn, I get hit by other long range attacks before I can do anything.

What I recommend is if you are applying a "frozen tide" effect to the first full turn, to also apply an "infernal wave" effect. So now melee units can't move to attack you first turn, but ranged units can't long range and attack you either. So for the first turn both sides can just buff or shield themselves. As it is now, the melee units are at a severe disadvantage turn one specially if you go second to your opponent.

I have other points to discuss, specially in regards to my experiences with Doubloons and some bugs with buff stacking so far, but running out of space here. I'll come back later :)
1) Battleboards: You should be seeing a variety of battleboards, not just one. It wasn't a matter of "fixing" anything (I agree the original board had its strengths) but rather a desire to create a variety of boards so you'll need to prepare for a variety of (unknown) circumstances in ranked PvP. If you're not being served alternate boards, that's a bug. (But I definitely saw more than one board in my matches today.)

2) That being said, I'm aware of the need for more diverse cover. I have some ideas cooking, including (but not limited to) making some of the existing player powers that provide cover a bit better.

3) The first turn freeze may not be the final implementation. I am glad it seems satisfactory (to you, mostly, so far) but we may yet tweak some things.

4) Bucks don't have units with infinite range attacks? Hmm. The way you describe it, it almost sounds to me like different classes have different strengths and weaknesses.

(My characters-- of any class-- have almost always worn some gear with Ghostwail or Soulreaver on it. Maybe you'll consider some new gear, too? Or perhaps you'll decide it's not that big of an advantage?)

5) Specific comments about specific doubloons will certainly be useful.

6) I can't wait to hear more feedback from matches 4, 5, 6 and beyond!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mind if I add my observations to this post? It's better than making a new one and this way Ratbeard gets all the info from one instead of scattered around.
I have now taken part in 2 1v1 matches one as a swashbuckler, one as a witchdoctor. I was wondering if KI will post the current banned powers and items? Is the Nefarious Staff included in the ban? My scorpion swarm didn't show up in my match despite discarding. And since Charm is not allowed ( for now ) that power and my pet's power was useless.
Where is the spectator option?
Certain animations aren't appearing: When my opponent used Leviathan I heard the sound but the effect was missing, same with attack hits, the effects were missing.
Just before El Toro was defeated he disappeared.

Developer
anecorbie on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
Mind if I add my observations to this post? It's better than making a new one and this way Ratbeard gets all the info from one instead of scattered around.
I have now taken part in 2 1v1 matches one as a swashbuckler, one as a witchdoctor. I was wondering if KI will post the current banned powers and items? Is the Nefarious Staff included in the ban? My scorpion swarm didn't show up in my match despite discarding. And since Charm is not allowed ( for now ) that power and my pet's power was useless.
Where is the spectator option?
Certain animations aren't appearing: When my opponent used Leviathan I heard the sound but the effect was missing, same with attack hits, the effects were missing.
Just before El Toro was defeated he disappeared.
Same thread, new thread, I'm trying to catch them all regardless.

We did list all of the powers that are currently banned, and the scorpion swarm is not on that list. Please try again to confirm there's no user error. (Sorry to put that so indelicately... )

Regarding animations not appearing-- do you have fast combat anims turned on? (Regardless of your answer, I would bet it's related to that...)

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Ratbeard on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
1) Battleboards: You should be seeing a variety of battleboards, not just one. It wasn't a matter of "fixing" anything (I agree the original board had its strengths) but rather a desire to create a variety of boards so you'll need to prepare for a variety of (unknown) circumstances in ranked PvP. If you're not being served alternate boards, that's a bug. (But I definitely saw more than one board in my matches today.)

2) That being said, I'm aware of the need for more diverse cover. I have some ideas cooking, including (but not limited to) making some of the existing player powers that provide cover a bit better.

3) The first turn freeze may not be the final implementation. I am glad it seems satisfactory (to you, mostly, so far) but we may yet tweak some things.

4) Bucks don't have units with infinite range attacks? Hmm. The way you describe it, it almost sounds to me like different classes have different strengths and weaknesses.

(My characters-- of any class-- have almost always worn some gear with Ghostwail or Soulreaver on it. Maybe you'll consider some new gear, too? Or perhaps you'll decide it's not that big of an advantage?)

Hey Rat! Thanks for your answers. I am back again with more comments, I am currently 13-0 in 1v1 duels with my Buccaneer at the rank of Veteran (183). So I guess I have even more experience than when it was only 3 duels..

1) That is great to know! I always thought when ranked PvP came out that Pirate would have different boards, each with its own layout and obstacles. Making each match a different experience based on the layout you end up battling in. I think this would be pretty cool to see! I will definitely miss the old brawling hall though

3) It will definitely take people some getting use to, but I think the way first turn works has been one of your best ideas yet.

4) That is of course, except for the long range advantage I mentioned. I know I know, Bucks/Swashbucklers don't have infinite range, but that doesn't mean it is okay for my opponent to get 2-4 hits of free damage on me before I can do anything.

I am not going to pretend to be the best duelist, because I am not, but any decent 1v1 duelist will tell you how useless carrying a Mournsong would be on a Buccaneer or a Swashbuckler just so I can equalize the first turn range advantage. And even if I did, it wouldn't make a difference on the issue that I am bringing up.

If my opponent goes first, he can attack my player with 2 sniper shots (Chantal + Musket) or 2 mournsong (Serpent + WitchDoctor). In my turn, I am now down to about half health. What do I do? If I attack them back with my own mournsong, the next turn the opponent can repeat the same strategy with the 2nd sniper shot and charge in a Nausica or something and kill me. So instead of attacking them back, I am forced to shield, heal or go hidden if I don't want to die.

My opponent doesn't really have much to worry about first turn and he loses nothing by attacking me with ranged because I can't charge at him first turn anyways. It gives a clear edge to the ranged classes, specially with doubloons as I will explain below.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008

5) So doubloons. I am currently 13-0. I will say more than half have been won because of my doubloons. I posted a picture of my progress over in Central showing the doubloon set up I go with: Aquila Summons, Accuracy doubloons and Weapon Power doubloons.

A lot of the times, a single Minotaur or Orthrus summon from the AQ can kill a companion. As my opponent, if both my AQ summons and my companions are on top of you, who do you choose to attack? Either way is a lose-lose situation, those summons might as well be my 4th (and sometimes 5th and 6th) companions.

If the AQ summons don't work, then the weapon power does the job just as well. A hidden assassin's strike boosted up by a weapon power doubloon is enough to kill any unit that does not have a fortress. And even if they do have a fortress, I usually do it anyways and still hit for about 2000 of their health.

My last resort? Those accuracy doubloons. I use one the same turn I use Reckless Frenzy, and good luck to anyone dodging even if you are in elusive 3. It gets rid of the natural weakness that frenzy is supposed to have.

Those are the doubloons I have used to win all my matches so far. But I have heard and seen other effective "strategies" (doubloons are not strategy at all) used by other classes.

Musketeers: Bring Chantal and equip your own sniper shots. Turn 1 you use weapon power doubloon and use double sniper shot on the enemy player bringing him down to 500 or so health in TURN 1 (sometimes before they even get to react). If the player does not go hidden, you do the same next turn and kill him.

Witchdoctors: Same thing except with Spell Power doubloon and bring the Serpent companion with mournsong. Turn one use spell power and double mournsong the enemy player for about the same damage.

Swashbucklers: Black fog your whole team, weapon power doubloon the next turn and delete everyone.

Doubloons simply need to go Ratbeard. They have no place in PvP and there are too many of them to balance around.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
My experience pretty much matches yours, Alex. Since I have nothing to add to the topic of 1v1 suggestions, I will make recommendations for battle Royale.

I have only had the opportunity to do one battle royale, but it confrimed by fears for what would be the resounding immediate strategy.

Issue One:
For about 5 rounds, everyone just sat in their corner and buffed. a few used coin summons to no large effect. I eventually broke and charged a witch, because it was getting so boring. after that, (although I did take the witch out, she got a mega reaver and a mega mojo blade on me, destroying me) another buck just swooped down and picked me off, then the final player, who had not yet attacked anything, just came crashing down onto the buck. Basically, he camped in a corner and then came to pick up the pieces.

Issue Two:
In that same fight, someone attempted to team with me to take out another player. I don't really have an issue with that, but there are some players that will eventually end up grouping up over and over again just to gang up on one poor player. if people start queuing together with the intent of teaming, there will be some serious issues.

For issue one, I would recommend some way to force pirates to converge in the middle of the board, like adding the flames we see on the fourth floor of the tower. Anything you can think of to make players pay a penalty for being too passive.

For the second issue... I got nothing. I know al of this has probably occurred to you, But I hope that my input helps in some way.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Blixet on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
My experience pretty much matches yours, Alex. Since I have nothing to add to the topic of 1v1 suggestions, I will make recommendations for battle Royale.

I have only had the opportunity to do one battle royale, but it confrimed by fears for what would be the resounding immediate strategy.

Issue One:
For about 5 rounds, everyone just sat in their corner and buffed. a few used coin summons to no large effect. I eventually broke and charged a witch, because it was getting so boring. after that, (although I did take the witch out, she got a mega reaver and a mega mojo blade on me, destroying me) another buck just swooped down and picked me off, then the final player, who had not yet attacked anything, just came crashing down onto the buck. Basically, he camped in a corner and then came to pick up the pieces.

Issue Two:
In that same fight, someone attempted to team with me to take out another player. I don't really have an issue with that, but there are some players that will eventually end up grouping up over and over again just to gang up on one poor player. if people start queuing together with the intent of teaming, there will be some serious issues.

For issue one, I would recommend some way to force pirates to converge in the middle of the board, like adding the flames we see on the fourth floor of the tower. Anything you can think of to make players pay a penalty for being too passive.

For the second issue... I got nothing. I know al of this has probably occurred to you, But I hope that my input helps in some way.
I finally did a battle royale, with much the same results. I like your idea of making pirates attack instead of waiting everyone out then picking off the survivors.
The one battle I took part in was boring and a complete waste of time. There must be a better way. why can't we all move at the same time? I see the one who goes first or last will have the advantage of the others ( especially if they're ranged class. )

Developer
Doubloons simply need to go Ratbeard. They have no place in PvP and there are too many of them to balance around.

Doubloons ON/OFF is a very simple switch we have at our disposal (literally, an existing toggle on the battleboard), so we can quickly update the Test Realm one way or the other. I already know what feedback OFF would provide, and it would not make sense to spin up the Test Realm with a scattered approach of various doubloons on or off.

Of course we knew going in that doubloons were powerful and disruptive-- we created them that way. Our goal was to zero in on those doubloons that everyone might yet enjoy, as well as to scope out some ideas for possible PvP-only doubloons we might provide in the future.

It would not take you very long to come up with a few existing doubloons that might yet warrant consideration; and there may in fact be some "fixes" that might be more appropriate for a doubloon (a limited resource) than slaughtering existing powers.

I would recommend some way to force pirates to converge in the middle of the board, like adding the flames we see on the fourth floor of the tower. Anything you can think of to make players pay a penalty for being too passive.

Yep! It's on the list!

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Blixet on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:

Issue One:

Issue Two:

this wouldnt be too fair to muskets, they arent supposed to charge, if they have to move theyd be forced to move without attacking unlike melee classes who move and attack

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
zuto4011a on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
this wouldnt be too fair to muskets, they arent supposed to charge, if they have to move theyd be forced to move without attacking unlike melee classes who move and attack
Hmm, that is true. I'm not really sure what a perfect solution would look like, but you're right, that would be a little unfair to witches and muskets.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
My input is as relates to the first turn movement lock. Alex already explained how it benefits ranged classes but my feedback has to do with how it benefits highland charge in particular. I had a match with Alex in which he had first round. On the first round he cast highland charge. Now I had bought my HTL ratbeard precisely to counter charge tactics. However he happened to spawn in an inopportune spot and was not able to move into position due to the movement restrictions. The very next round my team was bought close to death by goronado nausicaa and pete's x2 movement range hits. To prevent such scnarios I propose that first turn movement be limited to 1 square forward at max and unlimited when it comes to moving backwards and sideways. In this way you limit the charge potential as intended while still allowing players to move into an offensive or defensive formation.

Developer
Eric Stormbringer on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
My input is as relates to the first turn movement lock. Alex already explained how it benefits ranged classes but my feedback has to do with how it benefits highland charge in particular. I had a match with Alex in which he had first round. On the first round he cast highland charge. Now I had bought my HTL ratbeard precisely to counter charge tactics. However he happened to spawn in an inopportune spot and was not able to move into position due to the movement restrictions. The very next round my team was bought close to death by goronado nausicaa and pete's x2 movement range hits. To prevent such scnarios I propose that first turn movement be limited to 1 square forward at max and unlimited when it comes to moving backwards and sideways. In this way you limit the charge potential as intended while still allowing players to move into an offensive or defensive formation.
Hold that thought for a bit. I don't think we're done looking at the first turn restrictions in general. I'll add this feedback to "the pile" and ask that you please continue to run matches and give me more feedback, including-- especially really-- how you might try to adapt new strategies to this new rule assuming that we didn't change it.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009

Doubloons ON/OFF is a very simple switch we have at our disposal (literally, an existing toggle on the battleboard), so we can quickly update the Test Realm one way or the other. I already know what feedback OFF would provide, and it would not make sense to spin up the Test Realm with a scattered approach of various doubloons on or off.

Of course we knew going in that doubloons were powerful and disruptive-- we created them that way. Our goal was to zero in on those doubloons that everyone might yet enjoy, as well as to scope out some ideas for possible PvP-only doubloons we might provide in the future.

It would not take you very long to come up with a few existing doubloons that might yet warrant consideration; and there may in fact be some "fixes" that might be more appropriate for a doubloon (a limited resource) than slaughtering existing powers.

I would recommend some way to force pirates to converge in the middle of the board, like adding the flames we see on the fourth floor of the tower. Anything you can think of to make players pay a penalty for being too passive.

Yep! It's on the list!
If I may, I'd like to enter a possible idea. I haven't done any Ranked yet(I spent most of my day looking for those elusive clandestine trainers and yesterday I was driving home from San Diego), but perhaps when people are looking for a match, they select if they want to play with doubloons, and they get paired up with people who also wanted doubloons. Those who selected not to use doubloons get paired up with people who don't want to use doubloons, and their doubloons wouldn't show up on the right side of the screen. I hope this input was of value.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I decided to test an extreme situation: I equipped my witchdoctor with Moo's Robes ( she already has the Nefarious Staff and the Grizzled Heart Banner ) and entered a 1v1 match. I was matched against a buccaneer using Hawkules, Nausica and Yagi. I was using El Toro, Kan Po and Bonnie Anne.
Both summons appeared in my hand the first turn ( lucky for him my banner didn't show until the final stages ) It was in PVP parlance 'flawless', I even tossed in a few summons doubloons and a 'push'. And my Baron Samedi's Mask came into play when I defeated the Captain.
So I was wondering, Ratbeard, if there was a way to prevent a player from stacking two such powerful items in PVP? This match didn't seem fair at all, even without doubloons, it was un-balanced. ( and what if I had access to Charm as well? or Charming Gaze? ).
P.S. The young Buccaneer lost with humor, dignity and grace. ( which made feel like a total heel! )

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
In every 1v1 match i've been in against a swashbuckler, they use hidden and take out me and my companions with just one or two hits. I have got 98 armor, 346 damage, 3026 health, along with Relentless, flanking, and cheap shot on my Buccaneer, as well as everything Morgan Lafitte can train a non-Swashbuckler. How and why are so overpowered? I can take out three witches in a battle royale, but not one swashbuckler..

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Aaron FireEyes on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
In every 1v1 match i've been in against a swashbuckler, they use hidden and take out me and my companions with just one or two hits. I have got 98 armor, 346 damage, 3026 health, along with Relentless, flanking, and cheap shot on my Buccaneer, as well as everything Morgan Lafitte can train a non-Swashbuckler. How and why are so overpowered? I can take out three witches in a battle royale, but not one swashbuckler..
My buccaneer had no problems winning against a swashbuckler with black fog, I simply triggered auto talents. The buckler I fought used Bonnie Anne so over watch was easy to trigger. She also neglected to protect her Baar with a hide, giving me a perfect target to charge. Baar is supposed to be OP ( at least that's what everyone tells me. ) even when she kept hiding it was no use for her to attack me. I had reduced her accuracy and dodge to the basement. She had to resort to Health doubloons and a critical boost and I still beat her.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
Maybe the answer is something like this: if for 3 turns the pirate ( any class ) and companion have done nothing but buff or pass, they get a warning: "Ahoy, Matey! Best make an attack or forfeit the match!" The next turn they must then use an attack ( either themselves or companion ) or be ejected. This will make it fair for musketeers and witches - they can still attack yet not be forced into the middle of the battleboard.
Or is this too harsh?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Perhaps KingsIsle developers should look at the Imperial Robes of Moo Manchu once more. I've been using them in most matches and I feel there's an unfair advantage in their use. They're as bad as a bunch of mid-level doubloons summons and they have that accuracy de-buff. Not to mention, if the player I'm engaging is a melee class, they have to get up close to defeat them, which triggers them to explode, doing extra damage.
If I then use black fog. the situation becomes more dire. A team you can't target and nine enemies reducing your accuracy, how can that be considered fair?
Include Moo Manchu's Robe in the ban, please.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012

Of the Battleboards I've seen, there are a variety of locations but most (if not all) of them appear to be the same or similar. There have not been any obstacles to work around. It is just one big Battleboard. I would like to have more obstacles on the board that we have to maneuver around besides the ones that we create.