Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

My Fog Idea

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
So I've read the threads complaining about how OP fog is. Well I've given it some thought, and I hope to reach a happy compromise.

So, the plan is to ban fog from Ranked PvP(please keep all insults till the end of the presentation). Then. some PvP gear(maybe a pair of knives, whatever KI decides) would grant a power called "Dark Mist". This would be a 3 round version of Black Fog to follow in suit with the other buffs. This way, people get a good hide but it's not OP, and it doesn't affect PvE.

It occurs to me that this will lose the exclusiveness of Black Fog to Swashbucklers, so hopefully KI could find some way of limiting it to Swashbucklers. I.e. Having a clandestine trainer provide it with a perquisite of Walk in Darkness.

Tell me what you think.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
So I've read the threads complaining about how OP fog is. Well I've given it some thought, and I hope to reach a happy compromise.

So, the plan is to ban fog from Ranked PvP(please keep all insults till the end of the presentation). Then. some PvP gear(maybe a pair of knives, whatever KI decides) would grant a power called "Dark Mist". This would be a 3 round version of Black Fog to follow in suit with the other buffs. This way, people get a good hide but it's not OP, and it doesn't affect PvE.

It occurs to me that this will lose the exclusiveness of Black Fog to Swashbucklers, so hopefully KI could find some way of limiting it to Swashbucklers. I.e. Having a clandestine trainer provide it with a perquisite of Walk in Darkness.

Tell me what you think.

You don't want to hear what I think and I doubt that it would pass moderation if I did tell you.
Look at what you just wrote - ban the swashbuckler's signature power! I'm sure many SBs would just walk out of this game if that happened. Why are these posts continually showing up after Ratbeard has said that no changes would be made to any power that would adversely affect it in PVE?
Counters to fog:
Defend or pop them out of fog early with auto talents. ( I have used the last effectively with my buccaneer in PVP ).
Know the weaknesses and exploit them.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012

Tell me what you think.

Does any other class have to lose their class restricted signature power and "reacquire it" by defeating enough players in PvP without using said signature power? Should Musketeers have to "learn" Bounding Overwatch or Bucs learn Highland Charge twice for use in PvP?

It probably would be better if there was a power/talent progression separate for PvE and PvP, but the KI team has indicated that if it (gear, power, talent) can be acquired in PvE...it is intended to be used in PvP, as designed (outside of a few handful of powers/gear....and Black Fog was not deemed one of them).

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009

Tell me what you think.

Good idea but it would have people rely on said knives and I personally don't want to have to use a specific item in order to stand a chance in pvp

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
anecorbie on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
You don't want to hear what I think and I doubt that it would pass moderation if I did tell you.
Look at what you just wrote - ban the swashbuckler's signature power! I'm sure many SBs would just walk out of this game if that happened. Why are these posts continually showing up after Ratbeard has said that no changes would be made to any power that would adversely affect it in PVE?
Counters to fog:
Defend or pop them out of fog early with auto talents. ( I have used the last effectively with my buccaneer in PVP ).
Know the weaknesses and exploit them.
I'm glad there is someone on my side. I have beat Bucklers before with my Witch and my Musket and each time the Buckler used Fog. I realize that the P101 Central guys have made pvp into an art form and I have no doubt that they speak the truth for people who compete at that level. The only trouble is...not many people compete at that level. For the average player, who I am certain represents the majority of us, things are fine just the way they are.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012

Tell me what you think.

No, no, no, and no. Pvp as of the moment in my opinion is in a balance, if anything is too op I would think its charming gaze but that is being banned :D. And frankly Fog is a team version of a hide, as Highland charge is a team version of a charge, Stygian chorus is a summon of a team of minions as Zeal is a team defense/offense. Just because you think its op, doesn't mean there is no counter to it. frankly a highland charge worries me more than a fog XD

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
I should've clarified something(and this is definitely my bad). This is just an idea to toy around with at the moment. I'm not saying it needs to happen or that I want it to happen. I was just hoping to poke around and find a middle ground, without this turning into a whole "Black fog is OP" type of board. There are plenty of boards for that.

I now see it's not too popular. I've learn from this, and I'll consider this for the future.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I like this. It's a good compromise. I am a Swashbuckler, and I'm just so sick of Black Fog, I wish it would be banned, along with Assassin's Shroud. I'd enjoy ranked pvp a LOT more of this were to happen.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Seeing as no other school is getting a ban to their signature powers, why should SBs power be banned (Some would disagree and argue that you can no longer buff stack, nerfing them). I don't see the point in starting more threads in this topic, as the boards are overflowing with them. It gives me a headache to see even more pop up every other day (this is not targeted at anyone specifically). For now I have already said my part, and will take no further discussion in these threads.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Sunny Wolf on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
Good idea but it would have people rely on said knives and I personally don't want to have to use a specific item in order to stand a chance in pvp
This occurred to me after I posted, so when my board showed up, I made the post edits.