Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What's the Pedigree For?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
I've been meaning to ask this but keep forgetting to. What exactly is the pet's pedigree used for; what role does it play? Does it determine the chance of getting rare talents and powers, the chance of morphing the same type of pet, the chance of morphing a hybrid (if it has one)? I apologize if this has already been explained somewhere else but I haven't found anything explaining it.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
The Pedigree is the amount of points the pet's talents and abilities amount to, the pedigree in brackets are the amount of pedigree used/learned by a pet. Pedigree practically tells you how good the pet can be.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Serpent10611 on Nov 14, 2014 wrote:
I've been meaning to ask this but keep forgetting to. What exactly is the pet's pedigree used for; what role does it play? Does it determine the chance of getting rare talents and powers, the chance of morphing the same type of pet, the chance of morphing a hybrid (if it has one)? I apologize if this has already been explained somewhere else but I haven't found anything explaining it.
Hi there Serpent!

Like Noble Tyler stated, pedigree is basically your pets' unrealized potential & in parenthesis is the manifested or expressed traits for that pet. The higher the pedigree of the pet, the higher the quality of traits are in the pet's pedigree, or bloodline. With a high pedigree, your pet has a better chance of manifesting more desirable traits, such as granted powers/talents, &/or talents that will prove more useful in combat &/or PvP.

Each rank of Power & Talent (Uncommon, Rare, Epic....etc.) has a numerical value attached to it. When an offspring is transferred traits from the parent pair during morphing, the resulting pedigree number (& any increase/decrease) is a direct result of adding up the numbers from ranks of traits that transferred to the offspring. So, when you increase the pedigree, after a morph, you essentially replaced a lesser rank power/talent with a higher ranked one. The higher ranked trait has a higher numerical value, so this causes the pedigree to rise.

The values are as follows:

Common=1 point
Uncommon=10 points
Rare=20 points
Ultra-Rare=30 points
Epic=40 points

On the Power side, if you have all Epics that would be 10 x 40 (trait points) which would result in a 400 maxed Power potential for that pet. For the Talents, if you manage to successfully produce all 10, Ultra Rare traits, then the maxed Talent potential would be 300 pedigree for the talent side. This is how we end up with the current 700 max pedigree for pets. Your pets' pedigree is simply 'calculated' by adding up these 'rank points' to get the overall pedigree for the pet.

To have a higher pedigree just means that your pet (and it's offspring) has the potential to manifest better, more powerful & desirable, traits as it grows from Hatchling to Mega....& hopefully, beyond. The number in parenthesis is a numerical value based on what that pet has manifested/expressed so far.

Here's an equation that sums it up a bit:

Higher Pedigree + Higher Expressed Pedigree = WOW!!#

Hope this helps!

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
Noble Tyler Strong on Nov 14, 2014 wrote:
The Pedigree is the amount of points the pet's talents and abilities amount to, the pedigree in brackets are the amount of pedigree used/learned by a pet. Pedigree practically tells you how good the pet can be.
I've just tried adding up the maximum points that my Pet's Talents and Abilities can be. When I did this there was about 50 points that were left over from the Pedigree. Maybe these points depend on which Talents and Abilities manifest.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Nov 15, 2014 wrote:
Hi there Serpent!

Like Noble Tyler stated, pedigree is basically your pets' unrealized potential & in parenthesis is the manifested or expressed traits for that pet. The higher the pedigree of the pet, the higher the quality of traits are in the pet's pedigree, or bloodline. With a high pedigree, your pet has a better chance of manifesting more desirable traits, such as granted powers/talents, &/or talents that will prove more useful in combat &/or PvP.

Each rank of Power & Talent (Uncommon, Rare, Epic....etc.) has a numerical value attached to it. When an offspring is transferred traits from the parent pair during morphing, the resulting pedigree number (& any increase/decrease) is a direct result of adding up the numbers from ranks of traits that transferred to the offspring. So, when you increase the pedigree, after a morph, you essentially replaced a lesser rank power/talent with a higher ranked one. The higher ranked trait has a higher numerical value, so this causes the pedigree to rise.

The values are as follows:

Common=1 point
Uncommon=10 points
Rare=20 points
Ultra-Rare=30 points
Epic=40 points

On the Power side, if you have all Epics that would be 10 x 40 (trait points) which would result in a 400 maxed Power potential for that pet. For the Talents, if you manage to successfully produce all 10, Ultra Rare traits, then the maxed Talent potential would be 300 pedigree for the talent side. This is how we end up with the current 700 max pedigree for pets. Your pets' pedigree is simply 'calculated' by adding up these 'rank points' to get the overall pedigree for the pet.

To have a higher pedigree just means that your pet (and it's offspring) has the potential to manifest better, more powerful & desirable, traits as it grows from Hatchling to Mega....& hopefully, beyond. The number in parenthesis is a numerical value based on what that pet has manifested/expressed so far.

Here's an equation that sums it up a bit:

Higher Pedigree + Higher Expressed Pedigree = WOW!!#

Hope this helps!
Thanks again for the helpful info Valkoor. Have you ever considered working at KI, you could be Hep Kat'mun on the message boards

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Serpent10611 on Nov 16, 2014 wrote:
Thanks again for the helpful info Valkoor. Have you ever considered working at KI, you could be Hep Kat'mun on the message boards
You are quite welcome Serpent, so glad to help out!

Oh boy have I ever considered working at KI-- considered it, reconsidered it, wished it, dreamt it, wrote a song about it (like to hear it, hear it goes), drooled over it, daydreamed over it, obsessed over it, told my dog about it, cried....oops, pirates don't cry! To get paid to write about this amazing game, share info and to be able to help out players.....yeah, that would be EPIC! Although I enjoy helping just for fun and just as much!

And that's just too funny! Hep Kat'mun would be awesome and I'd be quite Heppy to represent that fine Spiral Crok, for that is one Hep Kat, that is also one cool 'mun!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Valkoor, & others, you already know that a pet can have around 10 Talents & Powers through training, & that it varies depending on the pet's pedigree & the estimated current max pedigree amount, through morphing up hybrids & all, & I admire the determination. Yet, I spoke to Decius about how pets could continue to receive more Talents & Powers beyond the estimated number not long ago, & he informed us that they will continue to receive more Talents & Powers beyond 10 through level cap increases, & not just the pets' level caps. No doubt, the pedigree estimation may not wear thin afterwards because there may be no end to pets receiving more pedigree points, too

You'll see someday that there may be no end to gaining pets more Talents & Powers through training beyond the presumed number, along with their pedigree points, too. You just never know what may come up later on.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Trimond297 on Nov 18, 2014 wrote:
Valkoor, & others, you already know that a pet can have around 10 Talents & Powers through training, & that it varies depending on the pet's pedigree & the estimated current max pedigree amount, through morphing up hybrids & all, & I admire the determination. Yet, I spoke to Decius about how pets could continue to receive more Talents & Powers beyond the estimated number not long ago, & he informed us that they will continue to receive more Talents & Powers beyond 10 through level cap increases, & not just the pets' level caps. No doubt, the pedigree estimation may not wear thin afterwards because there may be no end to pets receiving more pedigree points, too

You'll see someday that there may be no end to gaining pets more Talents & Powers through training beyond the presumed number, along with their pedigree points, too. You just never know what may come up later on.
Thanks for the info Trimond and for sharing your discussion with Decius.

You are so right and I fully believed (and had hoped for that matter) that our pets would continue to grow and become even more amazing assets and allies to our crew in the future. It surely makes sense that our critters will continue to level and 'learn' new talents/powers as they level, alongside our pirates. I had a feeling that Decius and the KI team wouldn't have gifted us with a 'complete and final' Advanced Pet System' in those recent updates and hence the reason why I stated "current 700 max pedigree".

It sure is exciting to think about the future possibilities for our pets and what they will continue to bring to the table. Since the system and the whole pet morphing process was/is fairly new, along with the granted powers/talents, I had hoped that what we see today was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg and that we would continue to be just as WOWED in the future, as we are at this very moment.

To think about the even greater potential for pets, hybrids, pirate granted powers/talents from the pets, increased pet levels and pedigree and usefulness in battle......well that just blows my mind-- and it was already pretty blown away by the current state of pets and the advanced system.

Can't wait to see what the future holds.....that is for certain!

........Now if I could just get my dog at home to grant me some new talents and powers, I would be SET! There's been many days where I sure would have liked to Turn the Tide or become a bit more Elusive or had my Speech Steadied a bit! Must not be in her pedigree.....yet!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Nov 19, 2014 wrote:
Thanks for the info Trimond and for sharing your discussion with Decius.

You are so right and I fully believed (and had hoped for that matter) that our pets would continue to grow and become even more amazing assets and allies to our crew in the future. It surely makes sense that our critters will continue to level and 'learn' new talents/powers as they level, alongside our pirates. I had a feeling that Decius and the KI team wouldn't have gifted us with a 'complete and final' Advanced Pet System' in those recent updates and hence the reason why I stated "current 700 max pedigree".

It sure is exciting to think about the future possibilities for our pets and what they will continue to bring to the table. Since the system and the whole pet morphing process was/is fairly new, along with the granted powers/talents, I had hoped that what we see today was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg and that we would continue to be just as WOWED in the future, as we are at this very moment.

To think about the even greater potential for pets, hybrids, pirate granted powers/talents from the pets, increased pet levels and pedigree and usefulness in battle......well that just blows my mind-- and it was already pretty blown away by the current state of pets and the advanced system.

Can't wait to see what the future holds.....that is for certain!

........Now if I could just get my dog at home to grant me some new talents and powers, I would be SET! There's been many days where I sure would have liked to Turn the Tide or become a bit more Elusive or had my Speech Steadied a bit! Must not be in her pedigree.....yet!
Well, as they say, nothing is considered final when it comes to KI continuing on improving their games.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
I'm sure at some point when the level cap increases, our pets will be able to unlock all of their talents and powers. At one point I even started a thread (that's now locked) about the possibility of having the option of promoting our pets into full fledged companions, like the wild animals that Witchdoctors earn. If you want to look into it, it's called "Pets into Companions" in Circus Maximus, on page 3 I think.