Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why Did You choose Pirates?

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm not talking about the game, but why you play a game that let's you be a pirate. There must be some basic fascination with pirates that brought you to this game and kept you playing.
I've always loved stories about pirates from Treasure Island to Captain Blood; and the love of these stories has prompted me to read the history of pirates or watch documentaries about them. I'll wager a keg of yum with Blind Mew that we've read the same books about pirates.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
I've always just liked the legends of swashbucklers: people so fast with their two cutlasses that they could raid on a whole British galleon and go unharmed.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
The earliest introduction to pirates for me had to be Treasure Island. Great fun, and holds up well for rereading every few years.

After Treasure Island, my favorite pirate yarn is On Stranger Tides, by Tim Powers. But I came across that one many years later.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
I've watched Pirates of the Carribean and I just had a fascination of the pirate life. And I have read a miniscule version of Treasure Island as well as watched part of the Muppets: Treasure Island.

Fair Taryn Lewis

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Favorite ride at Disneyland - Pirates of the Carribean

Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe

Muppet Treasure Island

Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Carribean

Pirate101

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
I never really had a fascination with pirates per se. (Oh sure I had dressed up as a bar maid at one time for Halloween but really after reading any Gothic romance you could have come up with that)

But really after watching Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Kiera Knightly in the Pirates of the Carribbean, I was just enchanted with the idea of Pirating...after all they really ARE just guidelines

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
Willowydream on Oct 8, 2019 wrote:

Muppet Treasure Island

Pirate101

I wonder if Jack Sparrow would like Yum...or not.

Ensign
Feb 26, 2015
I choose buccaneer as my main class because they are strong kind of like the Vikings they use strong weapons and have to relay on raw pure strength

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
waddledede on Oct 19, 2019 wrote:
I choose buccaneer as my main class because they are strong kind of like the Vikings they use strong weapons and have to relay on raw pure strength
But what made you choose to play a pirate game? Was it books or movies or even history that makes you want to be a pirate?

Petty Officer
Feb 06, 2018
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
skywayprivateer on Oct 21, 2019 wrote:
i didn't decide it my mom did
Mom always knows best.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
Willowydream on Oct 8, 2019 wrote:

Muppet Treasure Island

Pirate101

Aren't the Muppets amazing? and Jack Sparrow, Will Turner (man, was I obsessed with Will Turner ) and Elizabeth [I forget her last name]...
Hey, is anyone named Jack Sparrow in the game?

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
skywayprivateer on Oct 21, 2019 wrote:
i didn't decide it my mom did
Similar story for me! Being a Wizard enthusiast since it's early days, when I saw my mom playing Pirate's beta, I grew very curious. And here I am.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
anecorbie on Oct 22, 2019 wrote:
Mom always knows best.
Reference! Reference!

Tangled! Tangled!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
glitterway123 on Oct 23, 2019 wrote:
Reference! Reference!

Tangled! Tangled!
Nope, that's "Mother Knows Best" seriously the best song in the movie. But...I wasn't making a reference here...
The name Sparrow isn't in game, the closest you can get is Finch or Nightingale. And her name was Elizabeth Swann. ( also not available).
Thank goodness for us, W101 is swamped by "Luke Skywalkers" & "Taylor Swifts", KI must have learned their lesson .Now we can have creative, real names.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
Lookit Light on Oct 23, 2019 wrote:
Similar story for me! Being a Wizard enthusiast since it's early days, when I saw my mom playing Pirate's beta, I grew very curious. And here I am.
Me too! She was looking at video games for kids, and we saw P101, now I'm in-game and having the time of my life!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
glitterway123 on Oct 24, 2019 wrote:
Me too! She was looking at video games for kids, and we saw P101, now I'm in-game and having the time of my life!
Hmm, maybe I should ask your mothers why they chose a game that lets their kids be pirates? That would be interesting. Let them post using your message board names? ( if they want to...)

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 24, 2019 wrote:
Nope, that's "Mother Knows Best" seriously the best song in the movie. But...I wasn't making a reference here...
The name Sparrow isn't in game, the closest you can get is Finch or Nightingale. And her name was Elizabeth Swann. ( also not available).
Thank goodness for us, W101 is swamped by "Luke Skywalkers" & "Taylor Swifts", KI must have learned their lesson .Now we can have creative, real names.
I still laugh at the thought of Taylor swift having powerful magic and just destroying other people.

Ensign
Feb 26, 2015
Oh I joined pirate because I liked the gameplay and because I love Davy Jones and jack sparrow plus I like how the combat system is like chess

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
anecorbie on Oct 24, 2019 wrote:
I know, right? Best song, EVER. Okay, but I really like Flynn Rider's entrance Is Turner available?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
glitterway123 on Oct 28, 2019 wrote:
I know, right? Best song, EVER. Okay, but I really like Flynn Rider's entrance Is Turner available?
Turner isn't available either....