For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Doom Mojo in Ranked

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 26, 2014
22
I've won 22 matches and lost 8 using Doom Mojo with Baron Samedi's Standard + Boon or Hidden + Boon. This "strategy" if you can even call it that is incredibly RNG based but still gives a 73.33% win ratio and really needs a nerf or better yet a removal before Fall comes. The only counter I have seen is to also run this "strategy" and pray to god that you go first.

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
172
but you need time to set up the strategy. if you use it right off the bat it wont do as much. but if you set up banner then boon scratch the enemy will know and will have 1-2 turns to do something about it. wether it be killing scratch first, knocking down the banner, or something. plus Doom Mojo hits you as well so do you really want to risk that? if a privy tanks up Nasuica hardcore she's gonna have a giant absorb and have adequate health and be able to safely charge and chain your already weakened crew. so unless the opponent is completely clueless there is pretty good counter to it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10280
the minutemen on Sep 16, 2018 wrote:
but you need time to set up the strategy. if you use it right off the bat it wont do as much. but if you set up banner then boon scratch the enemy will know and will have 1-2 turns to do something about it. wether it be killing scratch first, knocking down the banner, or something. plus Doom Mojo hits you as well so do you really want to risk that? if a privy tanks up Nasuica hardcore she's gonna have a giant absorb and have adequate health and be able to safely charge and chain your already weakened crew. so unless the opponent is completely clueless there is pretty good counter to it.
And it depends on you being a privy plus having Nausicca on your crew.... Face it, the only ones benefiting from an Old Scratch attack are Privys and Witches.
Just one round ( when nobody can move ) of Old Scratch's Flow Mojo Flow is enough to take down most crew ( maybe even your opponent's Old Scratch ).

Community Leader
the minutemen on Sep 16, 2018 wrote:
but you need time to set up the strategy. if you use it right off the bat it wont do as much. but if you set up banner then boon scratch the enemy will know and will have 1-2 turns to do something about it. wether it be killing scratch first, knocking down the banner, or something. plus Doom Mojo hits you as well so do you really want to risk that? if a privy tanks up Nasuica hardcore she's gonna have a giant absorb and have adequate health and be able to safely charge and chain your already weakened crew. so unless the opponent is completely clueless there is pretty good counter to it.
Hey minuteman, I've found an alternative (and in my opinion a vastly superior one) to the strategy that armoredbuccaneer mentioned running. It kills on turn 3 (with doom mojo), cannot be interrupted, and is incredibly reliable. It also doesn't care if one of their units or pirate tanks. If KI doesn't fix this glitch by the start of fall season, I will unveil this strategy. The only way it can lose to a build that isn't itself is not pulling a certain power by turn 2. I've tested it, it works, and it is the most broken thing to ever touch pirate pvp, bar none. So there's that.

Leaving the realm of the theoretical, in ranked pvp, you can use this strategy on round 2. No matter if you go first or second, you'll have 1 chance to interrupt it somehow, which isn't happening without an insanely good spawn and equally insane chains (and probably won't happen at all if they run Contessa and Ratbeard as companions 2 and 3). I'm not a fan of matches where I have one chance to disrupt a combo and if I don't, the match turns into a coin flip weighted in the favor. Speaking of that, let's look at how each class can theoretically disrupt the combo in 1 turn (here's a hint, the options are limited)
  • Buck: Rush and hope your opponent's rat and contessa don't prevent you from reaching Scratch. And if you do disrupt it, your companions are unbuffed and they still have a normal privateer gearset at their disposal, so glhf.
  • Bucker: Better hope you have round 1 fog and their Contessa isn't able to guard (w/ gallant) Old Scratch). If Contessa can, you just lost.
  • Privy: Boon/Nausica is the only hope. If Rat can immobilize her, or Contessa can guard scratch, you just lost
  • Musket: Not happening. You'd need good spawns from goro and nausica and bad spawns from both their rat and contessa
  • Witch: Same as musket.

So you basically need 1-2 crown companions in every situation that isn't buck. I really don't think pay-to-have-a-slim-chance is a good business model, but that's just me.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10280
the minutemen on Sep 16, 2018 wrote:
but you need time to set up the strategy. if you use it right off the bat it wont do as much. but if you set up banner then boon scratch the enemy will know and will have 1-2 turns to do something about it. wether it be killing scratch first, knocking down the banner, or something. plus Doom Mojo hits you as well so do you really want to risk that? if a privy tanks up Nasuica hardcore she's gonna have a giant absorb and have adequate health and be able to safely charge and chain your already weakened crew. so unless the opponent is completely clueless there is pretty good counter to it.
Just to put this into perspective for you, There's a You-Tube video of a match called "Old Scratch is broken". In that match the Privy taping her match had NO IDEA what Doom Mojo did. All she used in the first round was
"Call the Troops", lowest level of will buff for privys. She didn't have Old Scratch use any of his Mojo Flow; just Doom Mojo.
The results horrified her. She devastated her opponent. In. One. Round. Worse than Blast of Discord ever was.
Interesting to note that both Old Scratches were unharmed.

Ensign
Mar 26, 2014
22
the minutemen on Sep 16, 2018 wrote:
but you need time to set up the strategy. if you use it right off the bat it wont do as much. but if you set up banner then boon scratch the enemy will know and will have 1-2 turns to do something about it. wether it be killing scratch first, knocking down the banner, or something. plus Doom Mojo hits you as well so do you really want to risk that? if a privy tanks up Nasuica hardcore she's gonna have a giant absorb and have adequate health and be able to safely charge and chain your already weakened crew. so unless the opponent is completely clueless there is pretty good counter to it.
You clearly haven't been playing much this past update or you'd know how broken this strategy is and can even be accomplished in 1 turn

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
143
ArmoredBuccaneer on Sep 15, 2018 wrote:
I've won 22 matches and lost 8 using Doom Mojo with Baron Samedi's Standard + Boon or Hidden + Boon. This "strategy" if you can even call it that is incredibly RNG based but still gives a 73.33% win ratio and really needs a nerf or better yet a removal before Fall comes. The only counter I have seen is to also run this "strategy" and pray to god that you go first.
100% agree I was going to buy crowns and membership for fall season but I won't if they fail to fix this problem.

Community Leader
anecorbie on Sep 16, 2018 wrote:
And it depends on you being a privy plus having Nausicca on your crew.... Face it, the only ones benefiting from an Old Scratch attack are Privys and Witches.
Just one round ( when nobody can move ) of Old Scratch's Flow Mojo Flow is enough to take down most crew ( maybe even your opponent's Old Scratch ).
While I agree it's broken, privy and swashbuckler stand to gain the most from Doom Mojo. Witch gets nothing special from doom mojo. Since it's weapon power based and has nothing to do with actual spell power, buckler can double stack weapon power increases on Scratch from the banner and Black Fog. Since Contessa's gallant can also guard banners, the banner would be unbreakable, allowing for a virtually uninterruptable kill.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
172
well seeing as i never do rank i dont know how truly broken this combo is.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10280
Matthew525011 on Sep 16, 2018 wrote:
Hey minuteman, I've found an alternative (and in my opinion a vastly superior one) to the strategy that armoredbuccaneer mentioned running. It kills on turn 3 (with doom mojo), cannot be interrupted, and is incredibly reliable. It also doesn't care if one of their units or pirate tanks. If KI doesn't fix this glitch by the start of fall season, I will unveil this strategy. The only way it can lose to a build that isn't itself is not pulling a certain power by turn 2. I've tested it, it works, and it is the most broken thing to ever touch pirate pvp, bar none. So there's that.

Leaving the realm of the theoretical, in ranked pvp, you can use this strategy on round 2. No matter if you go first or second, you'll have 1 chance to interrupt it somehow, which isn't happening without an insanely good spawn and equally insane chains (and probably won't happen at all if they run Contessa and Ratbeard as companions 2 and 3). I'm not a fan of matches where I have one chance to disrupt a combo and if I don't, the match turns into a coin flip weighted in the favor. Speaking of that, let's look at how each class can theoretically disrupt the combo in 1 turn (here's a hint, the options are limited)
  • Buck: Rush and hope your opponent's rat and contessa don't prevent you from reaching Scratch. And if you do disrupt it, your companions are unbuffed and they still have a normal privateer gearset at their disposal, so glhf.
  • Bucker: Better hope you have round 1 fog and their Contessa isn't able to guard (w/ gallant) Old Scratch). If Contessa can, you just lost.
  • Privy: Boon/Nausica is the only hope. If Rat can immobilize her, or Contessa can guard scratch, you just lost
  • Musket: Not happening. You'd need good spawns from goro and nausica and bad spawns from both their rat and contessa
  • Witch: Same as musket.

So you basically need 1-2 crown companions in every situation that isn't buck. I really don't think pay-to-have-a-slim-chance is a good business model, but that's just me.
Fog is no defense for an AoE.

Community Leader
anecorbie on Sep 17, 2018 wrote:
Fog is no defense for an AoE.
Correct, but you need it to bypass the theoretical ratbeard htl and to deal enough damage to scratch in one round to kill him. You're not going to be able to reach with fan 90% of the time, so it's up to Nausica's centaur charge and goro's vicious to kill scratch. You need the 2x damage from fog to kill with those two attacks

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Ensign
Mar 26, 2014
22
Matthew525011 on Sep 16, 2018 wrote:
Hey minuteman, I've found an alternative (and in my opinion a vastly superior one) to the strategy that armoredbuccaneer mentioned running. It kills on turn 3 (with doom mojo), cannot be interrupted, and is incredibly reliable. It also doesn't care if one of their units or pirate tanks. If KI doesn't fix this glitch by the start of fall season, I will unveil this strategy. The only way it can lose to a build that isn't itself is not pulling a certain power by turn 2. I've tested it, it works, and it is the most broken thing to ever touch pirate pvp, bar none. So there's that.

Leaving the realm of the theoretical, in ranked pvp, you can use this strategy on round 2. No matter if you go first or second, you'll have 1 chance to interrupt it somehow, which isn't happening without an insanely good spawn and equally insane chains (and probably won't happen at all if they run Contessa and Ratbeard as companions 2 and 3). I'm not a fan of matches where I have one chance to disrupt a combo and if I don't, the match turns into a coin flip weighted in the favor. Speaking of that, let's look at how each class can theoretically disrupt the combo in 1 turn (here's a hint, the options are limited)
  • Buck: Rush and hope your opponent's rat and contessa don't prevent you from reaching Scratch. And if you do disrupt it, your companions are unbuffed and they still have a normal privateer gearset at their disposal, so glhf.
  • Bucker: Better hope you have round 1 fog and their Contessa isn't able to guard (w/ gallant) Old Scratch). If Contessa can, you just lost.
  • Privy: Boon/Nausica is the only hope. If Rat can immobilize her, or Contessa can guard scratch, you just lost
  • Musket: Not happening. You'd need good spawns from goro and nausica and bad spawns from both their rat and contessa
  • Witch: Same as musket.

So you basically need 1-2 crown companions in every situation that isn't buck. I really don't think pay-to-have-a-slim-chance is a good business model, but that's just me.
Gallant doesn't block Doom Mojo and if you're against a player who can charge like a Buccaneer using it round 1 is perfectly fine and can still result in a team wipe

Community Leader
ArmoredBuccaneer on Sep 17, 2018 wrote:
Gallant doesn't block Doom Mojo and if you're against a player who can charge like a Buccaneer using it round 1 is perfectly fine and can still result in a team wipe
I know it doesn't. I'm referring to the scratch-user using gallant defense to prevent their banner or scratch from getting killed before they can combo off.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
172