Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New Companion Idea: Gomera

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I've suggested a number of Companion revisions in the past, but can't remember actually sharing an idea for a new companion that I would like to see. I've got an idea that I think is fleshed out, but bear with me as this might get long-winded.

Companion Name: Gomera (Thunder Lizard)

Class: Buccaneer (Boosts from Strength)

Appearance: Gomera would use the Stormzilla model, as seen on Stormzilla himself in the Valley of the Titans. His coloration would vary according to the Pirate's flag: the scales would have the primary color, while the underbelly, spine and claws would have the would have the secondary color. Gomera's eyes would always have a bright yellow color, and it would have an electric particle effect similar to that seen on Stormzilla.

Acquisition: Gomera would not be available through normal gameplay, but would be available for purchase at a moderate price after completion of the quest "Go Go Stormzilla!" He would recruit 2 Levels above the player's Level

Gomera is essentially a miniature Stormzilla. Its name is derived from Gamera, a gigantic bipedal turtle-monster that was an early participant in the Kaiju franchise alongside the legendary Godzilla. Because of this inspiration, Gomera would have a simple but potentially devastating playstyle revolving around utterly crushing its enemies.

Given the point in the game at which I'm imagining it first being obtained, Gomera's starting Epic Talents would be Turn the Tide 2, Vengeance Strike 1 and Cheap Shot 1. It would have a single promotion around Level 58, giving it the title of Great Thunder Lizard and Vengeance Strike 2. Gomera's Epic Talent pool would look like what is shown below:

• Blade Storm, up to rank 3 (4 when it promotes)
  • Relentless, up to rank 2 (3 when it promotes)
  • Cheap Shot, up to rank 3
  • Repel Borders, up to rank 2
  • Vengeance Strike, up to rank 3 (4 when it promotes)
  • Second Chance, up to rank 2

Gomera would have three powers. One would be Buccaneer Strike, turning into Buccaneer Smash upon promotion, allowing this power to be on more than just Ratbeard. The second would be Ravenous Strike, just like it's seen on all the Beast companions. The final one would be a signature power called Storm Roar.

Storm Roar would be Gomera's way of replicating all the flashy Kaiju movies. Using Stormzilla's critical hit animation, Gomera would exhale a powerful blast of lightning in a line 7 tiles long. This would be a somewhat strong damage-dealing ability, dealing magic damage easily in the 450-500 range when first recruited while also reducing Evasion by 25%. When promoted, the damage would increase to the 600-650 range. At first glance, I know this seems overly powerful. But it would be balanced by the fact that you would be sacrificing most of Gomera's other damage options, and the fact that it's in a line. (Seriously, you know how hard it is to get even one sneaky little gremlin into a straight line in this game?)

For all the power that's seemingly on offer here, Gomera would have one drawback to keep it in check; low speed. Gomera would only have a movement range of 3 tiles, making it unlikely to do too much on round 1 unless you get lucky with Storm Roar. Gomera could likely still be strong in spite of this, but this would act as a countermeasure against becoming too overpowered.

And that's Gomera! I said it would be long-winded, but I wanted to share this behemoth of lizard power before I forgot some details. If you have any criticism to share, that would be just fine; I'm new to this kind of idea-making.