Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

My Ideas to Fix Ranked Meta

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Current meta:

buccaneer
musketeer
swashbuckler
privateer
witchdoctor

Here are my ideas to make all classes euqal:

1) Make board larger - Witches are being forced to widow's touch on the first turn to avoid buccaneer rushes. Musketeers as well have difficulty against the rush. I think everyone agrees that the board needs to be larger. This will also slightly nerf musketeers (which I think is a good idea) because it will be harder to "cover the board" with traps.

2&3) First bring charm and charming gaze back. Make the chances of charming based on will for all classes so privy and witch get best use of it. Now I know you're probably going to tell me "that's OP!" This is where a new idea comes. First, make an item dropped from Medusa. It will be a ring that grants a power called "heart of stone." This is a buff that lasts for five turns that only works on yourself. When somebody or something would charm you when you have this buff, instead you "turn them into stone." They are stunned. In addition, this will work for veng3/grit3/retribution3 so that if they would stun you, you actually stun them! This will help nerf veng3 buccs a bit when they attack a main character.
As for companions, make a passive talent called "focused" that they can train just like dodgy or tough. The higher the focus, the less likely that companion is to be charmed or stunned.
One more thing: give charming gaze a cooldown of three turns on the char/companion charmed so that the same char/companion doesn't get repeatedly charmed.

4) Change summons. First remove vicious charge and levi call from the terracotta, but add cheap shot three. That way, they will really get in the way of a melee team, but they won't disable everyone for five rounds and tank so much damage.
Now next part: majorly buff witch summons! Give the dragon drake some ranged fire-based AoE and flames of corruption. Give the skeletons guaranteed epic hits that increase as the will of the caster increases so they are super hits for max players. Also give them more epics. Witch summons need to be more powerful than farmed item summons.

5) Introduce a new passive talent for witchdoctors only called puzzling, which will apply to all regular hits (not spells). When a puzzling companion/char hits a target, that target has a chance to become "dizzy." Targets that are dizzy cannot move straight. For every square they advance there is a chance they will move in a different direction! Then they keep moving as if they were still on the right track, causing them to end up nowhere near where they wanted to go! The higher the rank of puzzling, the more likely the target will become dizzy. Puzzling will be offset by focused (see above).

6) Buff privy powers that increase damage/armor. Then give all privateer companions a 5-10% health boost so they are more powerful.

Please provide insight/suggestions/constructive criticism!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
bluba4 on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
Current meta:

buccaneer
musketeer
swashbuckler
privateer
witchdoctor

1) Make board larger - Witches are being forced to widow's touch on the first turn to avoid buccaneer rushes. Musketeers as well have difficulty against the rush. I think everyone agrees that the board needs to be larger. This will also slightly nerf musketeers (which I think is a good idea) because it will be harder to "cover the board" with traps.

2&3) First bring charm and charming gaze back. Make the chances of charming based on will for all classes so privy and witch get best use of it. Now I know you're probably going to tell me "that's OP!" This is where a new idea comes. First, make an item dropped from Medusa. It will be a ring that grants a power called "heart of stone." This is a buff that lasts for five turns that only works on yourself. When somebody or something would charm you when you have this buff, instead you "turn them into stone." They are stunned. In addition, this will work for veng3/grit3/retribution3 so that if they would stun you, you actually stun them! This will help nerf veng3 buccs a bit when they attack a main character.
As for companions, make a passive talent called "focused" that they can train just like dodgy or tough. The higher the focus, the less likely that companion is to be charmed or stunned.
One more thing: give charming gaze a cooldown of three turns on the char/companion charmed so that the same char/companion doesn't get repeatedly charmed.

4) Change summons. First remove vicious charge and levi call from the terracotta, but add cheap shot three. That way, they will really get in the way of a melee team, but they won't disable everyone for five rounds and tank so much damage.
Now next part: majorly buff witch summons! Give the dragon drake some ranged fire-based AoE and flames of corruption. Give the skeletons guaranteed epic hits that increase as the will of the caster increases so they are super hits for max players. Also give them more epics. Witch summons need to be more powerful than farmed item summons.

5) Introduce a new passive talent for witchdoctors only called puzzling, which will apply to all regular hits (not spells). When a puzzling companion/char hits a target, that target has a chance to become "dizzy." Targets that are dizzy cannot move straight. For every square they advance there is a chance they will move in a different direction! Then they keep moving as if they were still on the right track, causing them to end up nowhere near where they wanted to go! The higher the rank of puzzling, the more likely the target will become dizzy. Puzzling will be offset by focused (see above).

6) Buff privy powers that increase damage/armor. Then give all privateer companions a 5-10% health boost so they are more powerful.

Nice ideas and creative powers, I agree with #4 especially
But when you start trying to "fix" something that isn't broken in the first place, then you take a chance of making it worse, which then requires a "fix" and then another "fix" to fix the second changes and so on.
Puzzling and Heart of Stone are OP and are examples of "specific counters to a power" which Ratbeard has said he's not a fan of implementing.
The board is a very good size as it is - it doesn't need to be larger.

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
bluba4 on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
Current meta:

buccaneer
musketeer
swashbuckler
privateer
witchdoctor

My opinion on it :
1) Please do. Ranged units have to cover the whole area because most can reach across the board in 1/2 turns easily(RatBeard was planning on this anyways).

2) Gaze it bugged, and Charm is guaranteed. The chances are already based on will as well, so it does give the best benefits to Privy/Witchdoctors

3) This would be a blessing and a curse. While yes, you could become immune to stuns and Charms, however that is also very OP. Bucklers could use that and then REALLY be unstoppable. Probably give it a % chance to cancel the Stun/Charm. I like the idea of Focused though, sounds fun. Charming Gaze should not need to have a cooldown of 3 turns if we are looking for a way to counter it. Nerf it or Find a way around it, but definitely not both.

4) Hold 3 and Cheap 3? No thanks. Terror is bugged right now, when fixed it will be limited, and sometimes they wont get charge anyways. Minions are cannon Fodder, not damage dealers. Think of them as pets, although at least 1 or 2 powers and/or a couple of additional epics on them would be nice.

5) Would this work on talent attacks? If so, I think it could be too strong(depending on the chances of course, would there be a chance for it to simply fail, etc.), players would need at least one possible out to this talent. Very interesting though, I like it. Ratbeard please!

6) Eh, I would rather see more tools than a direct buff, however I think the Weapon Power/Defense boosts could be upgraded a tad bit

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Alright thank you for your feedback.

I agree with you both that heart of stone is OP. Forget about it. But let me explain why I brought it in. Ratbeard has implied that both charm and charming gaze is coming back. I have no problem with charm, but charming gaze sounds OP. If we can convince ratbeard that this never belongs in pvp, I'm fine with it. Otherwise, we need to find a solution or it will become the next must have item. I like the idea of focused, so perhaps that should simply become a new passive stat on certain no auction items? How else could one "counter" charming gaze without introducing a specific "hard" counter?

I maintain my stance on summons simply because I don't think ratbeard's fixes will be enough for the terracotta warriors, even if only 3 warriors draw charge, your entire crew can still be at a major disadvantage. Perhaps they don't even need cheap shot 3, but I think charge should be gone completely. And when have you last seen a scrimshaw drake being summoned? It's hardly fodder if it's only one summon with less health than your pet, so at least give summons companion level health.

I somewhat agree with Sam about giving privateers new tools. I'm fine with that for the main character if you have any ideas that would directly help them in this meta. However, I don't know if that's the answer for privateer companions. Imagine lucky jack Russel with discipline or catbeard with valor's armor. Privateer companions would very quickly dominate the meta and take away from the privy char's unique abilities. The health boost idea was only for the companions so that you would see more of them in pvp. Right now they have the lowest damage output of all classes and none of them can train FS3/veng3 to counter hidden powers. More health would allow them to survive black fog encounters.

I don't have details on how puzzle will work, but since witches are so vulnerable, I think this is a creative way to protect them. Help me design puzzle!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Are the classes supposed to be equal? Regardless, with a little creativity any class should be able to beat any other class right?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
bluba4 on Sep 2, 2015 wrote:
Alright thank you for your feedback.

I agree with you both that heart of stone is OP. Forget about it. But let me explain why I brought it in. Ratbeard has implied that both charm and charming gaze is coming back. I have no problem with charm, but charming gaze sounds OP. If we can convince ratbeard that this never belongs in pvp, I'm fine with it. Otherwise, we need to find a solution or it will become the next must have item. I like the idea of focused, so perhaps that should simply become a new passive stat on certain no auction items? How else could one "counter" charming gaze without introducing a specific "hard" counter?

I maintain my stance on summons simply because I don't think ratbeard's fixes will be enough for the terracotta warriors, even if only 3 warriors draw charge, your entire crew can still be at a major disadvantage. Perhaps they don't even need cheap shot 3, but I think charge should be gone completely. And when have you last seen a scrimshaw drake being summoned? It's hardly fodder if it's only one summon with less health than your pet, so at least give summons companion level health.

I somewhat agree with Sam about giving privateers new tools. I'm fine with that for the main character if you have any ideas that would directly help them in this meta. However, I don't know if that's the answer for privateer companions. Imagine lucky jack Russel with discipline or catbeard with valor's armor. Privateer companions would very quickly dominate the meta and take away from the privy char's unique abilities. The health boost idea was only for the companions so that you would see more of them in pvp. Right now they have the lowest damage output of all classes and none of them can train FS3/veng3 to counter hidden powers. More health would allow them to survive black fog encounters.

I don't have details on how puzzle will work, but since witches are so vulnerable, I think this is a creative way to protect them. Help me design puzzle!
Charming Gaze isn't a guaranteed action, I've seen it fail ( both mask and pet ) many times in PVE when the enemy doesn't even have the same Will power as the user; although Will drives it, it does seem a bit random.
Summons shouldn't have the same health as a companion, but I believe they could at least have half the health of the Witchdoctor doing the summoning.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
anecorbie on Sep 2, 2015 wrote:
Charming Gaze isn't a guaranteed action, I've seen it fail ( both mask and pet ) many times in PVE when the enemy doesn't even have the same Will power as the user; although Will drives it, it does seem a bit random.
Summons shouldn't have the same health as a companion, but I believe they could at least have half the health of the Witchdoctor doing the summoning.
The moo warriors collectively have over TWICE the health of a companion even without leviathan's call, so giving a single minion 2,000 health sounds reasonable in comparison.

Charming gaze is still OP even if it doesn't go off every turn. It takes something that is one of a witch's best powers and gives a better version to every class. That's not fair to a witchdoctor. In addition, ratbeard showed that most games last between 5 and 10 rounds and that's including players that fled on the first turn. I would guess that at a higher level of play games last more towards 12-15 rounds. Regardless, charming gaze, if it continues to work on powers and all types of basic attacks, would probably have a chance of going off in about half of those rounds. That's 3 - 7 attempts to charm, which seems overpowered given that in a single charm a buccaneer can reckless frenzy his own companion to his own demise. Likewise a buckler can use the no heal poison and a privateer use the best team heal.

As I said before, I would much rather have charming gaze be banned forever, but if it does become a thing, we need to come up with a counter.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Personally, I think all companions need a health boost to be on par with the newest companions that we get in Aquila, they should all be around equal health when they reach the same level.

I also think that all companions need a boost in Armor and or Resistance. Some companions have some really great Armor and Resistance reflecting what they are wearing, but at the same time, others do not get the same boosts in Armor based on what they are wearing. So, Armor and Resistance on companions needs to be looked at and rebalanced.

I think some points brought up in OPs post are a bit exaggerated and the rankings given for the classes are not actual. Some people play some classes better than others and are more prepared than others, hence the reason people like PVP and ranked PVP, to test their skills at their respected class.

I have seen many Musketeers run to a corner, Surround themselves with bombs after bombs, put Ratbeard with Repel Boarders 3 and either first strike 3 or hold the line 3. Ratbeard can also push companions or pirates into set traps to do incredible damage. So it really is based on strategy and timing of the cards.

There is not much needed to fix Ranked Meta and I think a lot of complaints are brought a bit too soon, simply because people cant find a strategy against some peoples strategy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The moo warriors collectively have over TWICE the health of a companion even without leviathan's call, so giving a single minion 2,000 health sounds reasonable in comparison.

Charming gaze is still OP even if it doesn't go off every turn. It takes something that is one of a witch's best powers and gives a better version to every class. That's not fair to a witchdoctor. In addition, ratbeard showed that most games last between 5 and 10 rounds and that's including players that fled on the first turn. I would guess that at a higher level of play games last more towards 12-15 rounds. Regardless, charming gaze, if it continues to work on powers and all types of basic attacks, would probably have a chance of going off in about half of those rounds. That's 3 - 7 attempts to charm, which seems overpowered given that in a single charm a buccaneer can reckless frenzy his own companion to his own demise. Likewise a buckler can use the no heal poison and a privateer use the best team heal.

As I said before, I would much rather have charming gaze be banned forever, but if it does become a thing, we need to come up with a counter.
Doesn't Technomage glasses purge magic effects or is that the sprocket key, since these exist in game already; there's your counter.

Developer

There are 9 of them. So another way of expressing what you just said is that each moo warrior has about 20-25% of the health of a single companion. (Spoiler alert: it's 25%.) Sounds super fearsome now, doesn't it?

More to the point, the "lump sum" health of the opposing force is an utterly meaningless figure. Their individual health matters, and their individual damage matters, and the size of the opposing force matters. Nowhere in any force calculation is the sum of their health relevant.

Just a thought, you might want to consider smashing these guys with AoEs.

Charming gaze is still OP even if it doesn't go off every turn. It takes something that is one of a witch's best powers and gives a better version to every class. That's not fair to a witchdoctor.

Charming Gaze is not better than Charm. They are two completely different tools with completely different uses.

You better get to work on that counter, then.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
anecorbie on Sep 3, 2015 wrote:
Doesn't Technomage glasses purge magic effects or is that the sprocket key, since these exist in game already; there's your counter.
Which thing are you talking about? Do you mean purge magic or dispel magic?

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Ratbeard on Sep 3, 2015 wrote:

There are 9 of them. So another way of expressing what you just said is that each moo warrior has about 20-25% of the health of a single companion. (Spoiler alert: it's 25%.) Sounds super fearsome now, doesn't it?

More to the point, the "lump sum" health of the opposing force is an utterly meaningless figure. Their individual health matters, and their individual damage matters, and the size of the opposing force matters. Nowhere in any force calculation is the sum of their health relevant.

Just a thought, you might want to consider smashing these guys with AoEs.

Charming gaze is still OP even if it doesn't go off every turn. It takes something that is one of a witch's best powers and gives a better version to every class. That's not fair to a witchdoctor.

Charming Gaze is not better than Charm. They are two completely different tools with completely different uses.

You better get to work on that counter, then.
What AoEs? The only AoE I have trained is gunnery. I have tried using big guns and hurricane/inferno shot. The problem is that the gunnery line is the only AoE that has more than three range for a buccaneer to place, unless I want to invest in buck's brim. The first turn is when AoE would actually be helpful but they are always summoned close to the other player, which is out of the three squares range. Afterwards they spread out so AoE usually doesn't hit more than three at a time. Also, after the first turn the accuracy debuff damage has already been done so whatever my guaranteed AoE doesn't kill, nothing will until five turns. As for the big guns a non-critical doesn't even reduce them to half health.

Maybe you designed them this way but the terracotta seem specially designed to annoy buccaneers more than any other class. Not only do we not come with any natural AoE, but levianthan's call defends against everything our class naturally can attack with. Even bucklers can throw knives which I believe ignore LC but we have to just bear through it.

Do you plan to further separate charm and gaze? Because the means are different but the end is the same for both of them right now.

Would you consider adding a counter to CG if it was supported by the majority? Otherwise it will become the next must-have item.

Developer
bluba4 on Sep 3, 2015 wrote:
What AoEs? The only AoE I have trained is gunnery. I have tried using big guns and hurricane/inferno shot. The problem is that the gunnery line is the only AoE that has more than three range for a buccaneer to place, unless I want to invest in buck's brim. The first turn is when AoE would actually be helpful but they are always summoned close to the other player, which is out of the three squares range. Afterwards they spread out so AoE usually doesn't hit more than three at a time. Also, after the first turn the accuracy debuff damage has already been done so whatever my guaranteed AoE doesn't kill, nothing will until five turns. As for the big guns a non-critical doesn't even reduce them to half health.

Maybe you designed them this way but the terracotta seem specially designed to annoy buccaneers more than any other class. Not only do we not come with any natural AoE, but levianthan's call defends against everything our class naturally can attack with. Even bucklers can throw knives which I believe ignore LC but we have to just bear through it.

Do you plan to further separate charm and gaze? Because the means are different but the end is the same for both of them right now.

Would you consider adding a counter to CG if it was supported by the majority? Otherwise it will become the next must-have item.

The purpose of the two powers is completely different. Charm is offensive (and always works when you want it to) and Charming Gaze is defensive (and doesn't always work when you need it to).

There are already multiple counters to Charming Gaze: Don't stand next to them. Don't target them directly. Don't treat WILL as a dump stat.

Your definition of "must-have item" is almost certainly quite different from how Design would approach it. We definitely don't want to get into the habit of letting the players decide what they think is the best item on any given day and then expecting KI to break out the nerf-hammer.

That would be a never-ending cycle. There's always a perceived "best" item. The popularity, desirability, or ubiquity of an item does not mean that it has to be nerfed or banned.

Maybe you designed them this way but the terracotta seem specially designed to annoy buccaneers more than any other class.

I've pasted this comment down here out of order because the response is relevant to Charming Gaze, as well. Every class has its strengths and weaknesses. Buccaneers are NOT very well equipped to defend against Charming Gaze: Buc's have low will, and they prefer to stand right up next to their targets. (Ditto Swashbucklers.)

It is fair to say that Charming Gaze is a great counter to Buccaneers and Swashbucklers.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Ratbeard on Sep 4, 2015 wrote:

The purpose of the two powers is completely different. Charm is offensive (and always works when you want it to) and Charming Gaze is defensive (and doesn't always work when you need it to).

There are already multiple counters to Charming Gaze: Don't stand next to them. Don't target them directly. Don't treat WILL as a dump stat.

Your definition of "must-have item" is almost certainly quite different from how Design would approach it. We definitely don't want to get into the habit of letting the players decide what they think is the best item on any given day and then expecting KI to break out the nerf-hammer.

That would be a never-ending cycle. There's always a perceived "best" item. The popularity, desirability, or ubiquity of an item does not mean that it has to be nerfed or banned.

Maybe you designed them this way but the terracotta seem specially designed to annoy buccaneers more than any other class.

I've pasted this comment down here out of order because the response is relevant to Charming Gaze, as well. Every class has its strengths and weaknesses. Buccaneers are NOT very well equipped to defend against Charming Gaze: Buc's have low will, and they prefer to stand right up next to their targets. (Ditto Swashbucklers.)

It is fair to say that Charming Gaze is a great counter to Buccaneers and Swashbucklers.
I see you're point about charm and charming gaze being different. Charming gaze as it was before ranked also triggered from a distance if I remember correctly, so if that is fixed it will be less powerful. I'm also wondering if it triggers from guaranteed hits or only epic chains.

The problem I'm having with all of these top tier items is that they try to balance the meta instead of each class having a near equal chance with or without gear. For instance right now you would agree that buccaneers stand at the top of the food chain whereas witchdoctors are at the bottom. Apparently the answer will someday be for witches to farm the tower and get CG and terracotta summon, which doesn't seem fair for either side. Witches have to spend more time farming and then buccaneers have to deal with all these crazy items in the meta. Wouldn't a better idea be for witches to naturally have more tools to stop a Buccaneer and then nerf the really powerful items because they aren't needed anymore?

You seem convinced that there will be a never ending cycle of people complaining. However before the moo update, I don't remember people complaining about items. No one thought assassin strike or valors armor was op. It's only since the tower was added that all these Uber elite items were a problem.

I understand that you want to reward people for farming hard, but do you want to obsolete every other no auction item we farmed for so it's whoever has the most moo tower gear wins?

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
A witch has the highest confirmed( i mean proven with screenshots) rank so id say witches are above privateers

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Ratbeard on Sep 4, 2015 wrote:

Not really a PVP note here, but I just want to say that, in my opinion, 'charming gaze' is a great addition to the game. The prospect of facing 'charming gaze' forces one to think and focus, and it adds a great deal of variability (not to mention uncertainty) to a fight. It makes an excellent challenge! It is a well-done and creative idea, and particularly logical in that Faye, the evil privateer, has it as her special power.

I will never forget the one evening that for a short time in the battle against the Nefarious 5, all the player characters were either knocked out or charmed... except for me. Good thing I can hide! But you know, despite the cries of dismay, we were laughing and all having a wonderful time. We did win, and victory was never sweeter.

And from a visual standpoint, Faye's mask is splendid. It is so pretty, and there are a lot of us players who love beautiful adornments (and let me say again, thank you KI for the earrings!). I would love to wear Faye's mask for its beauty alone (nope, she hasn't given it up to me yet, but someday...)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
Not really a PVP note here, but I just want to say that, in my opinion, 'charming gaze' is a great addition to the game. The prospect of facing 'charming gaze' forces one to think and focus, and it adds a great deal of variability (not to mention uncertainty) to a fight. It makes an excellent challenge! It is a well-done and creative idea, and particularly logical in that Faye, the evil privateer, has it as her special power.

I will never forget the one evening that for a short time in the battle against the Nefarious 5, all the player characters were either knocked out or charmed... except for me. Good thing I can hide! But you know, despite the cries of dismay, we were laughing and all having a wonderful time. We did win, and victory was never sweeter.

And from a visual standpoint, Faye's mask is splendid. It is so pretty, and there are a lot of us players who love beautiful adornments (and let me say again, thank you KI for the earrings!). I would love to wear Faye's mask for its beauty alone (nope, she hasn't given it up to me yet, but someday...)
I too am still holding onto a hope for that mask to drop ever since I saw it that first day in the test realm. Lovely mask.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
I too am still holding onto a hope for that mask to drop ever since I saw it that first day in the test realm. Lovely mask.
It's a beautiful mask, and I still haven't got it; I also wish it was dye-able.