Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Vortex of Doom:now impossible

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 07, 2012
Ok I know almost everyone has this problem with this battle/quest. Like people say I can't beat the shakes before they get Brody.i had no trouble in beta but I can't do it,even with my mmusketeerso someone please help me

Ensign
Jul 26, 2012
ok so you mostly just have to gang up on each one. as you know brody goes for the weakest one and attaks. use your fox to reduce theier dodge. try to have more than two companions with you. I have just finished it at exactly 10:35 last night

Ensign
Dec 13, 2009
I never had a problem with this quest in Beta, but it seems a lot harder now. Only solution I've found is to charge full speed into the fray. Don't attack from range, don't waste time with buff abilities. Just move as close as you possibly can, fast. Get at least one of you or your companions close to Brody, even if you are a musketeer. If you at least get close, the sharks seem to favor attacking you over Brody, and he has a better chance to live. After getting at least 1 companion (or you) close, then spread out your attacks for a round and get hits on every shark to try and encourage them to attack you. *Then* focus fire to get them down fast.

Even then, it is still hard, especially if Brody/sharks spawn as far from you as they can (that's what happened to me). But the above plan seems the best way to do it now.

Community Leader
I just did this one the other day and didn't think it was particularly difficult. However, I have a Buccaneer who's only strategy is "rush and hit". Apparently that works. This was last night, so I don't know if they adjusted it from the time of the original post. I will say that, with his final breath, the last of the sharks one-shotted Bonnie for 56 damage. Yipes.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2009
Talkin The Plank on Oct 19, 2012 wrote:
I just did this one the other day and didn't think it was particularly difficult. However, I have a Buccaneer who's only strategy is "rush and hit". Apparently that works. This was last night, so I don't know if they adjusted it from the time of the original post. I will say that, with his final breath, the last of the sharks one-shotted Bonnie for 56 damage. Yipes.
This is the best strategy for this particular quest. The sharks will leave Brody alone the closer you get to them, so the longer you take to get to them, the more turns they attack Brody.

Remember, just like Wizard101, there is threat/soothe mechanics in this game. This particular quest is a good example of those mechanics at work.

Also, do not attempt this quest with additional players in your crew. The more group members you bring on board, the more sharks attack Brody on the very first round (and Brody's health doesn't start off higher either!!!!)

Ensign
Oct 09, 2011
I did laugh a few times when the battle started....err wait it never started! the sharks ate him up before round 1

Otherwise yeah its a 'blitz' type of fight. And I have noticed as already stated if you want to pull some aggro off another player you can send more to his aid and do to the mechanics "hopefully" they are diverted.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2008
I've done this quest on my musketeer with no difficulties. Yes, the sharks hit hard and seem to crit often, but if you aggro them, they'll generally attack you, not Brody.

Ensign
Oct 23, 2011
I never found this hard, maybe it is because of my class (Witch doctor).
Here's a few hints that may help.
1. Lead them towards you.

2. Use attacks that can hit multiple at once when they are ready to be destroyed.

3. Have your best companions out front.

4. Make sure your using the best gear you can get.

Ensign
May 17, 2011
I love that quest! Just walk in shadows/darkness if you are a swashbuckler, and if not, protect yourself at all costs. Focus on one enemy at a time.

Good luck! (wish there was a four leaf clover smiley),

-Dark Amber

Ensign
Aug 05, 2012
As a Buccaneer I had no issues with this encounter. I even went back to help someone else complete it. This player complained that Brody dies too fast.

Ensign
May 10, 2011
I never had a problem with this quest you might need a stronger weapon like wicked blades they don't sell it it might drop when you defeat some enemy... - Darling Lily Kelly - Level 8 Swashbuckler

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
I had my first problem with this quest today. What happened was that I was too far away to attack the Sharks before they killed Brody at the end of turn 2. The second time, I was placed closer and was able to attack (so they concentrated on me) before they killed him

Ensign
Aug 03, 2010
I had troble with it too with my and but after i did it the first time i won the second time.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Best hint is to take this quest on alone. Biggest problem with bringing a group is the number of sharks that get added, and they get the first attack, and they all attack Brody. I lost this battle once before it even began because the sharks killed Brody before we even had a chance to attack.

Captain
May 02, 2009
Kyle Life Caster on Oct 16, 2012 wrote:
Ok I know almost everyone has this problem with this battle/quest. Like people say I can't beat the shakes before they get Brody.i had no trouble in beta but I can't do it,even with my mmusketeerso someone please help me
When I did it with my Buccaneer, all the sharks criticaled on Brody and I lost on the frist round
But I had better luck the second time.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
It's a bad idea to have a battle so early in the game that is based on so much luck. Last night my musketeer had to try this four times, the first three attempts Brody was killed before I even got a chance to do anything. Sure, it's not that too time consuming to run back and try again, but I'm guessing that this quest would often be the one that "broke the camel's back" for some new players trying decide if they want to continue with the game or not.

The solution may be as simple as upping Brody's HP and/or armour so the sharks don't kill him so fast.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2010
Don't worry its possible to beat this quest, had a close call but its totally possible to beat it. I finished the quest alone

Ensign
Aug 04, 2010
I honestly don't have a problem,but I know you're desperate,so here you go:
You need to focus one target at a time.If you think they're hard,wait until you find buffaloons

Community Leader
This issue is fixed on the test realm. The made Brody a little more sturdy so this issue wouldn't crop up.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Howdy, I've just recently started Pirate. My first mage is level 7 and has done ALL the quests that I can find. Except that is the Vortex of Doom. Every time I go through the vortex it tells me that it is a Restricted Area Group Members Only!

I have been all over the place, well the ones that I have access to, and can NOT find any other quests. I do have a membership, so outside of the usual, haven't gotten there YET, I am SOOOO STUCK!

Does this quest have to be completed before I can progress?

What am I MISSING?

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Please help, your input, knowledge and expertise is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Community Leader
Windlass multifari... on Dec 11, 2012 wrote:
Howdy, I've just recently started Pirate. My first mage is level 7 and has done ALL the quests that I can find. Except that is the Vortex of Doom. Every time I go through the vortex it tells me that it is a Restricted Area Group Members Only!

I have been all over the place, well the ones that I have access to, and can NOT find any other quests. I do have a membership, so outside of the usual, haven't gotten there YET, I am SOOOO STUCK!

Does this quest have to be completed before I can progress?

What am I MISSING?

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Please help, your input, knowledge and expertise is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
When it says group members only, it doesn't mean that you can't enter. It's saying that if two people enter who aren't in a ground together, they will end up in seperate versions of the same internal area (different instances). When that message pops up, just hit the "x" key and you'll be inside. The warning should only mean anything to you if you are trying to bring some one along to help you out with the quest.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2010
This vortex is funny its totally based on luck of the draw. I have done this many many times but it is always difficult. Most of the time when i enter the instance the sharks get first attack and hit Brody a number of times befire i ever get the chance to intervene. They have killed him half of all the times i played through this so dont get discouraged its part of the game. Keep at it and eventually youll get lucky and if anything youll learn a few things about your companions and how they attack and move.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
YEAH HURRAY and most of all THANKS!!

Using all of the wonderful pointers you have so generously provided, I have finally managed to make it through the vortex and am rapidly making my way through the game. YIPPEE!

It seems that you DO have to complete the vortex in order to progress as once that goofy bird was saved, question marks and exclamation points turned up everywhere.

I really appreciate having this forum to turn to when difficulties set in, now if i can just master my search techniques...

Ensign
Oct 17, 2012
Maybe its because im a privateer that i found this quest easy.Just needed to heal Brody when his health was critical

Ensign
Apr 25, 2011
Try inviteing a friend i had trouble too then i invite a friend that was like lvl 15 then he defeated the sharks :-)