Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

An unfortunate Ranked PvP Match

AuthorMessage
Captain
Feb 11, 2010
In the P101 Test Realm, I decided to do a Ranked PvP match with my Musketeer. I won my first two, and feeling pretty confident, went to win match number three. This time, I was up against a Swashbuckler. He used Black Fog, poisoned me so I couldn't heal, and then his Subodai took out my Louis in a single turn! (after all the epics) I ended up losing Louis and Chantal in his first turn of attacking. So, being the Musketeer I am, I bombed the battleboard as much as possible, because that's all I could do while he was hidden. Next turn, he took out me and Bonnie Anne and won. You know what he said afterwards?

"Spamming traps is bad"

In a fit of anger and some pain, I quickly got off, and I've never done Ranked PvP since.

This isn't a complaint about Black Fog, it's about the cursed power. This should be banned in PvP, because as far as I know, swashbucklers are the only ones that can have it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Sep 7, 2015 wrote:
In the P101 Test Realm, I decided to do a Ranked PvP match with my Musketeer. I won my first two, and feeling pretty confident, went to win match number three. This time, I was up against a Swashbuckler. He used Black Fog, poisoned me so I couldn't heal, and then his Subodai took out my Louis in a single turn! (after all the epics) I ended up losing Louis and Chantal in his first turn of attacking. So, being the Musketeer I am, I bombed the battleboard as much as possible, because that's all I could do while he was hidden. Next turn, he took out me and Bonnie Anne and won. You know what he said afterwards?

"Spamming traps is bad"

In a fit of anger and some pain, I quickly got off, and I've never done Ranked PvP since.

This isn't a complaint about Black Fog, it's about the cursed power. This should be banned in PvP, because as far as I know, swashbucklers are the only ones that can have it.
Just as you are the only one to have Hail of Cannonballs, and Beartrap, just as any class has a power unavailable to train, so it is with Black Fog.
You should have used the Barricade defense, then placed bombs and traps. place Chantal in a corner, have Louis place his bombs and trap and for goodness sake use a melee companion to block the entrance ( preferably one who has First Strike 3 ) I suggest Ratbeard for this.
He caught you because you weren't prepared and had no idea how to fight a hidden buckler. It was your fault you lost.
Where were you AoE shooting powers? The ones you don't need to have a specific target?
For someone who says they're not complaining about Black Fog, this sounds like a complaint to me.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
First, I'm sorry you experienced a loss. Second I'm sorry you fought a troll. Third, Just because you experienced these things doesn't mean his use of his class signature powers is unfair.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Sep 7, 2015 wrote:

"Spamming traps is bad"

Not everybody is that immature.
Also, it should not be banned in PvP because:
1. It's the only swashbuckler team buff.
2. Every class has powers that are reserved only for themselves.
3. It has counters. Like the knockback bombs.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
DeathWiz101378 on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
Not everybody is that immature.
Also, it should not be banned in PvP because:
1. It's the only swashbuckler team buff.
2. Every class has powers that are reserved only for themselves.
3. It has counters. Like the knockback bombs.
Really did you even read his post? He's talking about cursed debuff, not black fog.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Silver Angel on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
Really did you even read his post? He's talking about cursed debuff, not black fog.
Curse is not a debuff, it does not remove stats or talents, it does prevent one power - healing. If you have properly shielded yourself, it doesn't do that much damage. You can wait out the curse, I've done it, I've seen other competitors do it too.
The best way for a musketeer to defend against Buckler or Buck is to use the Barricade. Then spam traps.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
anecorbie on Sep 9, 2015 wrote:
Curse is not a debuff, it does not remove stats or talents, it does prevent one power - healing. If you have properly shielded yourself, it doesn't do that much damage. You can wait out the curse, I've done it, I've seen other competitors do it too.
The best way for a musketeer to defend against Buckler or Buck is to use the Barricade. Then spam traps.
Yeah bad condition? Name doesnt really matter.

Ensign
Dec 14, 2013
Also you can use VA instead of heal if you have any VA items. VA can give about the same as an average revive, but all in on turn and does it without healing you beyond your below half health skills like elusive and if you have it tide. so, you might as well try a VA and see if it helps to replace heals against buckler.