Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Boss Damage Caps

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Hello, Spiral!

I've been farming Midnight Bandit in Cool Ranch on my Swash to get Mighty Warrior Robes for my Bucc, and I was reminded of something I've seen farming bosses in Skull Island.

Whenever I get a crit, it does the same amount of damage against the boss whether it's a first strike or a relentless(about 221 iirc). I think the damage is different for Skull Island fights(I didn't note it specifically at the time, I just found it odd), but it just means a boss run takes 2-3 rounds instead of 1-2 more often than not.

Has anyone else noticed these damage caps, and does anyone have more information on how the damage cap works?
I've figured out a few things, like I've noticed the boss's minions take full damage(which I find odd tbh), and that there are some fights(like Ratbeard) where a creature sets off a scripted event so they need to stop at a certain hit point threshold to trigger the event.

But I'm curious, for cases like the Midnight Bandit where there's no scripted events and it's just a straightforward boss fight, is the damage cap is set by world or is it calculated based on something like how many hit points the boss has?

Or am I just imagining there's a cap where there isn't? I wouldn't put it pass me. lol.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl 70

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
From my experience, damage caps seem to be 1/3rd of the enemies total max health. My best guess for why damage caps were implemented is to allow new players to fully experience a boss fight in case a max level joins the battle and could possibly one-shot the boss. All of this is observational though, and I don't have any hard data.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Alex the Pirate on Jun 4, 2021 wrote:
From my experience, damage caps seem to be 1/3rd of the enemies total max health. My best guess for why damage caps were implemented is to allow new players to fully experience a boss fight in case a max level joins the battle and could possibly one-shot the boss. All of this is observational though, and I don't have any hard data.
Ok, cool. I'd say 1/3rd roughly lines up with my experience. Thank you for your response!

And I can totally see why they would put damage caps on bosses through the game. I could see it killing some of the motivation to use Team Up if some max level pirate could come in and just one-shot the boss.