Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Who is your LEAST favorite companion?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 30, 2012
I HATE how swashbuckelers always die! They have oustanding damage, but undecend health.

-Cunning Thomas Orleans, Captain of Musketeers

Ensign
Oct 27, 2012
My least favorite is definitely Bonnie Anne.

1. She just doesn't do good damage often.
2. She usually doesn't block or dodge.
3. Her health isn't that good.

As for all those Louis le Bisque haters, when he's promoted for the first time he gets awesome.

Smart Oliver Kidd, lvl 34

Ensign
Apr 24, 2010
Absolutely old scratch. He is completely useless, dies like crazy(even though i keep him way back), and his attacks are weak. Old scratch for sure. Favorite: bonnie anne, Even though she isnt my strongest i love her lol

From, Awkward Corwin Nightingale Level 19 musketeer

Ensign
May 28, 2009
Honestly, not to into the crab hermit. The crawlie is just sort of "meh", but the thing about his main attack being a once square magic spell is annoying, seeing as you can't move and use ranged or magic in the same turn. A bit too much work to have to drag him around every time someone moves. Not very often I put characters with powers lower on the list than guys with only tallents, but he came up too much before.

Ensign
May 18, 2011
1. Crab Hermit
2. Billygoat Gunslinger
3. Crazed Monquistador

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Wow, Bonnie Anne is one of the best companions you can have, IF you give her the right combination of epic talents.

Any of the Water Mole companions are at the bottom of my lists for each of my pirates. So is Old Scratch, because his accuracy stinks.

Ensign
Feb 12, 2011
Least fav companions: Old Scratch cause he doesnt do much damage ( but he got cool when he was promoted to an undead bokor

Louis le Bisque: Once I became level 15 he started to get annoying in battle. ( but he got cool when he was promoted. )

Romba: I dont know, its just that he doesnt give much damage unless he does his special move.

Loyal Chris Vane, level 31

Ensign
Dec 03, 2011
Petty Officer
Apr 04, 2011
mommala on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
Absolutely old scratch. He is completely useless, dies like crazy(even though i keep him way back), and his attacks are weak. Old scratch for sure. Favorite: bonnie anne, Even though she isnt my strongest i love her lol

From, Awkward Corwin Nightingale Level 19 musketeer
think about it. old scratch is your only witchdoctor, unless your a witchdoctor yourself, or a swashbuckler. also, he's the only dead companion you'll ever get, that also summons an extra creature to help! though he isn't the strongest, extra help is better than no help, right?

brave Jonathan level 26

Community Leader
theprivateers on Dec 11, 2012 wrote:
think about it. old scratch is your only witchdoctor, unless your a witchdoctor yourself, or a swashbuckler. also, he's the only dead companion you'll ever get, that also summons an extra creature to help! though he isn't the strongest, extra help is better than no help, right?

brave Jonathan level 26
I think Old Scratch will be a lot more useful once they get the proposed change of summoned minions scaling with caster level. That takes Scratch from the bottom of the list to somewhere in the middle at least!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Sep 23, 2010
Sarah Steele
Tricky Vinny
Crazy Monquistodor

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Regarding companions:

Remember that each class gets different companions. This makes the game different each time you play, which I like.

Secondly, if swashbucklers did a bit more damage, I would not mind that they die so easily. I always give my swashbuckers more dodge.

Regarding Bonnie: she is a musketeer. Don't put her somewhere where someone can hit her with anything but ranged weapons, and take out the ranged weapon enemies first, if you can. When she bats cleanup, her double tap is wonderful. Also, a hint: use her to put out fires on ship battles. She will take one shot to put out the fire, then fire at someone else.

My least favorite companion is any that has no special attacks. The special attacks allow me to gang up on the first few rounds, take out two or three of the enemy, and the battle is virtually won. Without special attacks, all I can do is spend two to three rounds taking one out, and hope they don't do the same to me.

Rooster Cogburn is quickly becoming one of my favorites. From what I've seen, any time he is hit with a ranged weapon, if the attacker is in range, he fires back. Virtually every single time. It's gotten to the point where when someone shoots at Rooster I say, "Aww...you shouldn't have done that..." and laugh when Rooster fires back.

Ensign
Apr 15, 2010
TheDragonTamer237 on Nov 18, 2012 wrote:
Mine is Subodai, my first companion, or Tricky Vinny. I almost never use training points on them unless I want to make them stronger. They're not very strong to begin with, though, which is irrtiating in battle.
I don,t really like my Subodai companion either he starts out really really weak and has terrible fighting moves.
no matter how much i level him he is just weak and i really don't like it when he joins my battlesEven if i have him in the last companion slot.

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
CaptainAureus on Nov 17, 2012 wrote:
Who is the one companion who you really don't like? I don't really mean looks but just their fighting moves. For me it would have to be Nurse Quinn. Her damage is fair but her accuracy is only about 45 and her dodge is only about 40. Whenever I have her in battle she dies no matter what I do to keep her alive. So anyway,that's the one companion who I dislike most. What about you guys?

~Bloody Wolf Freeman~
Idk who's worse nanu nanu or egg shen they both have bad attack low def so they can die easy thye are just useless and stressful in a battle ~scorvy orion lanyard level 32 privateer

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
The crab hermit, who I have always presumed suffers from a glitch.

He is the only one I really don't like. If they do start scaling up the summoned creatures he will become a bit more effective; by the time you obtain him his crab crawlie isn't that helpful - often dying after a single blow.

While nurse Quinn isn't one of the most powerful, I do like her. It is useful to have a spare healing spell that my pirate doesn't have to lose a turn to cast. She seems to hit fairly often. She is not my best fight-'em-toe-to-toe crewman (crew entity?), but she is solid. Old Scratch, who hovers toward the back of my crew, will also become benefit a lot from scaling up his summoned skeleton.

Bonnie Anne was awesome when she joined. My highest pirate is level 27. Bonnie Anne is still awesome. I can't help think that those of you who don't like her may be misusing her or didn't give her some of her better options for feats. In a battle last night against some of the Storm raider buffaloes I had her lined up to kill a badly-wounded warrior, which she did, and then with double-tap she targeted an unwounded shaman, and kept hitting bursts until she killed him; for good measure she then shot another warrior once. I have seen her kill three (wounded) opponents in one turn. Until I recruited Rooster Cogburn, I hadn't found any shooters anywhere near in her league.

I think in some cases people may be picking companions they were just unlucky with and consequently haven't trained up. For example, my Sarah Steele and my Subedei have always been very effective, especially after their promotion. My Ratbeards haven't struck me as at all weak either.

Ensign
Mar 02, 2009
My least favorite companion is Doctor Noh. I bought him because I thought he looked cool but he's either bugged or just incredibly useless. His attacks miss 99% of the time. It really messes me up in battles because he's basically just standing there and missing each turn and not dealing any damage. I even chose the epic "second chance" for him and he still misses 99% of the time. He's level 51 and has an accuracy of 53%. I don't think he should be missing as often as he does. Even Mormo who has an accuracy of 43% manages to hit most of the time. Something seems off there. That's 5995 crowns that I'll never get back.

Ensign
Feb 12, 2011
Valdrick on Nov 26, 2012 wrote:
to me old scratch is the worst, its cool he can hit multple enimies, but he is so weak and his summon usually dies with one hit now that i am in cool ranch. next would have to be louie labisque, i cant stand having his weak harpoon on my team. "sigh" he gets blocked all the time and has terrible defense. Would like to see the ability to "sideline" my companions that i dont want.

Next i would summerize all the companions you get that dont have any special attacks other than epic abilites, i mean COME ON! they should be able to have one at least. those that usualy dont have an attack to use i keep on the bottom.
I used to hate old scratch when I was around valencia and the beginning of cool ranch levels, but then when he got promoted into an undead bokor he kind of grew on me. But now that im level 33, I really dont like him for now.

Loyal Chris Vane
Level 33

Ensign
Jun 06, 2012
Mine is Mormo. He's the fourth highest-leveled on my team, but he usually dies first when ever he fights.

Ensign
Nov 20, 2012
im not to that Nurse Quinn lady yet so i would say... its either old stratch or that horse barbarian swashbucklers get at first in the game.

Rebbeca Chamberlin, Swashbuckler

Ensign
Jan 05, 2010
No offense to some of my fellow pirates but some of your suggestions seem absurd. To me it sounds like you have "training" issue with your companions. Bonnie Anne, Old Scratch, and pretty much all the main storyline characters are really strong. However that does depend on what talents you train them to learn. So in all fairness if a companion is easily killed in battle its because of your training and military tactics. If I have a complaint about any companion it would be Water Mole spearman. I got him at the beginning of the game and have not been able to promote him and he is now level 36.

I think Pirate101 needs a sub-forum for battle tactics. We can discuss Training companions, Class Strategies, and more.

Careless Chris Eastwick
Musketeer Lvl 38

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
BalanceAngel128 on Dec 12, 2012 wrote:
I don,t really like my Subodai companion either he starts out really really weak and has terrible fighting moves.
no matter how much i level him he is just weak and i really don't like it when he joins my battlesEven if i have him in the last companion slot.
Subodai (and Temujin) is one of my favorite companions. Out of all companions I have so far, he is in the top 8, considered as one of the 'supers'. He has 2 different offensive abilities, one of which is a critical, that never miss. On top of that, he has 3 additional epics you can teach him, on top of vengeance strike. Like Relentless x2 and Flanking.

Absolutely one of the most powerful companions to have. I'd recommend you try to give him another shot. :(

Ensign
Jan 22, 2011
My Overall most hated for now is not any you'd expect... RATBEARD as a commander dies so fast in cool ranch that he is on the bottom of my list while Thunder Hoof is on top cause he ALWAYS criticals

Joshua
lvl 19 /

Ensign
Dec 09, 2012
I just started but right now my least favorite is Bonnie Ann. Subadoi or whatever his name is is my firstmate and favorite cause he usually criticals a lot and he hits in the 30s.

Silent Joseph Yellowfish Level 6 Swashbuckler

Swashbucklers don't die easily.

Ensign
Dec 09, 2012
What do other classes get as their companion at the beginning. I know that Swashbucklers get the horse barbarian cause i am one but i dont know the others

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
I can't believe what characters are being listed as the worst. I have maxed out characters and PvP and always tend to take Bonnie Anne and Old Scratch into PvP as my top companions and I usually win easily with them against those of my own level. Rat Beard although not my first choice still plays strong and well and is placed relatively high in my order system as he performs fantastically when he pops up, though I don't think he did so well for me in Cool Ranch as others have stated.

Worst Companions: Crab Hermit, Nurse Quinn, Tricky Vinny